AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 1662 Posts

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I think enough Owners in the Sony HW-40ES information thread have expressed interest in a dedicated thread where owners can share calibration information, settings, etc.

Hopefully we can get some good information here from hobbyists and professional calibrators alike! I'll post my reference and game settings after I get home tonight. All settings I post will be eye-ball settings using WOW/AVS 709 patterns and a blue filter.

Some information on my setup in the meantime:

-Sony HW40ES projector
-Chief RPMAU ceiling mount w/16" dual joist adapter and 6" 1.5 NPT drop
-Yamaha RX471 5.1 surround receiver and speakers (powered Yamaha subwoofer)
-PS4 for Bluray/gaming
-Uverse STB for TV
-DaLite matte grey 90" pull down screen. Throw distance 9.5 feet (yeah...it's a small space ;))

EDIT: reference and game mode settings

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Picture Mode: Reference (Bluray & 3D)

Contrast 84
Brightness 55
Color 50
Hue 50
Color temp D65
Cinema Black Pro:low
Advanced > Color Space: BT709 (all others OFF)

Reality Creation > Resolution (default, halfway between Min/Max)
Reality Creation > Noise Filter (20)

3D brightness: 2

All other settings default
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Picture Mode: Game (PS4)

Contrast 78
Brightness 44
Color 50
Hue 50
Color temp D65
Cinema Black Pro:low
Advanced > Color Space: BT709 (all others OFF)

All other settings default
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

·
Registered
814 Posts
My room is a small converted spare bedroom, 9.5 x 14 and PJ is 13' from screen, 7' high on a shelf on the back wall. Walls & ceiling are flat black. Screen is a 106" Silver Ticket cine-white.

Here are my settings and personal preferences:

Reference (Auto 2)
Reality Creation ON (but kept low at lvl 5 for both)
Cinema Pro Black - Low (ECO)
Motionflow / Motion Enhance - LOW for TV, Video Games & Movies (and 3D)

Contrast 80
Brightness 52
Color 55
Hue 50
Color Temp. D65
Sharpness 5 (kept low because Reality Creation is turned ON)

Attachments

·
Registered
51 Posts
Great thread. I'm a new HW40 owner but not new to PJs.

Mine has OTOB settings so far - all I did was set the lamp to "low". I'm blown away with the colors, sharpness and clarity, SDE being a thing of the past.

But I'd like to tweak it for more black detail.

Shooting from 13' back, ceiling mounted onto a 115" Elunevision AT screen.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Hello

I'm a owner of a Sony HW40ES.

My setup is at 13.5' from screen and projecting on a ELITE 135" Cinewhite gain 1.1 fixed screen. I'm running on eco on bulb.I have 3 sets of the PS3 3d glasses, they work perfect except they do not reach my seats at 21' from screen. I may buy extender soon.

I have the Sony 3d blue ray player the s5200 (very good player)

Yamaha RX471 5.1 surround receiver with Polk audio speakers.

My zoom is almost maxed. Do you think I need to move it back to around 15ft? For more clear picture.

Attachments

·
Registered
234 Posts
Lespaulman your theater is amazing. Very similar to how I would like my own someday.

The center channel speaker sightline would drive the OCD in me crazy lol ! :p

What color is that in person - more gray or green? Its perfect.

·
Registered
408 Posts
how do you change the bulb setting? I seemed to find everything outside of the bulb setting to high low or eco.

My set up:
Sony HW40ES
Denon X2100w
Sony BDP-S6200 blu-ray
ATT STB (Motorola VIP2250 HD-DVR)

I'm running mainly on Reference right now, what do most use?

·
Registered
165 Posts
The walls is Sherwin williams, there best flat paint.its called grizzle grey.its a very dark grey.The ceiling is flat black paint.Called Indian black. Thanks for the compliment.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Thanks OP for creating this thread. There are a few posts in the owners thread with settings but they are so far apart or buried that I have yet to find them again. This will help many people get the most out of the Sony outside of having it calibrated/until having it calibrated.

·
Registered
408 Posts
I'm in reference right now:

Contrast 80
Brightness 65
Color 53
Hue 50
Color temp D65
lamp high
motion 20
reality creation 20

just toying slightly but that's it. I'd like to tweak it.

On blu-ray the above is awesome. But on HDTV through my ATT Uverse box my wife seems to like Bright TV setting better.

Still tweaking some and interested in others.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
I'm in reference right now:

Contrast 80
Brightness 65
Color 53
Hue 50
Color temp D65
lamp high
motion 20
reality creation 20

just toying slightly but that's it. I'd like to tweak it.

On blu-ray the above is awesome. But on HDTV through my ATT Uverse box my wife seems to like Bright TV setting better.

Still tweaking some and interested in others.
What is the gain of your screen?

·
Registered
814 Posts
how do you change the bulb setting? I seemed to find everything outside of the bulb setting to high low or eco.
It's under CINEMA PRO BLACK. I believe the settings are High and Low (Low being ECO)

Reactions: Osamede

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'll update my original post with settings as soon as I get the chance. Sorry guys, life has been getting in the way lately.

In the meantime does anyone have more detailed information on what the settings under Reality Creation do?

There are 3 settings, 'Resolution' which is Min to Max slider. 'Noise Filter', which I think was set to 20 by default...and I can't recall what the third one is offhand. If anyone can post more information here that would be awesome...I'll see what I can find in the meantime.

BTW, I did mess a little bit with motionflow in 3D mode over the weekend. Once it's moved from OFF to LOW I noticed my RF glasses immediately got darker. I thought that was kind of odd but that may have been a result of the glasses synching with the higher refresh rate. I tried OFF, LOW and HIGH and oddly enough I preferred OFF for Bluray 3D content. I can't say that I noticed a difference or reduction in crosstalk between any of the motionflow settings.

I need more information on what motion flow does as well, I assumed OFF was native refresh, LOW was 120Hz and HIGH was 240Hz but that may not be the case.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks Yonex! Wow, those reference settings came out very close to mine (I only used Disney WoW & AVS 709 basic calibration patterns and a blue filter).

I wondered about 2.4 versus 2.2 gamma correction. Mine is actually currently set to off, but I liked the black level at 2.4. I'm going to have to try some tweaking @ 2.4 to see if I come up with something close to your ChromaPure results.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
1 - 20 of 1662 Posts