AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have yet to see an official owner's thread on the VPL VW-715ES. I am taking ownership of this projector in about a month for basement HT setup. I know there have been sporadic reports of experiences with the projector but it would be nice to have a dedicated spot. So here we are, let it fly!

Thanks,
Sam

·
Registered
7 Posts
Just installed my VPL VW715ES. I replaced my VPL VW385ES. Very happy with the picture. I feel like it's a big improvement over the 385ES, and I'm hoping I don't have to deal with Iris issues this time around. Only issue is the Control4 remote is not triggering the On/Off and Screen positions of the 715. My C4 dealer is going to remote in tonight to fix it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just installed my VPL VW715ES. I replaced my VPL VW385ES. Very happy with the picture. I feel like it's a big improvement over the 385ES, and I'm hoping I don't have to deal with Iris issues this time around. Only issue is the Control4 remote is not triggering the On/Off and Screen positions of the 715. My C4 dealer is going to remote in tonight to fix it.
That's great, mine will also be on Control4 system hopefully don't run into any issues on my end. What kind if iris issues did you run into on the 385ES?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I had no issues with Control4 and the 385ES. The Iris went out on the 385ES, which is a common issue. I’m getting it fixed (under warranty) and will sell it, once I get it back.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had no issues with Control4 and the 385ES. The Iris went out on the 385ES, which is a common issue. I’m getting it fixed (under warranty) and will sell it, once I get it back.
Would love to see some images of the PQ on the 715ES. What is your HT Setup?

·
Registered
38 Posts
I am going with a 133" diagonal screen. I am very happy with the 715ES the image on 4K Disc, Netflix or AppleTV+ is fantastic. I picked the 715ES over the NX7 because the Sony has a little newer design and I always had Sony. This forum seems to be leaning toward the NX7 but I would like to see an unbiased shootout between the NX7 and the 715ES ...

·
Registered
7 Posts
What size screen you guys are using
I have a Screen Innovations Zero Edge Pro Black Diamond XL 175" 2.35 scope screen with 1.2 gain
I have a dedicated theater room with 100% control over the ambient light.

It's big, but it is awesome.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Would love to see some images of the PQ on the 715ES. What is your HT Setup?
Sony VPL-VW715ES
Screen Innovations Zero Edge Pro Black Diamond XL 1.2 Gain - 175" diagonal 2.35:1 Cinescope
Marantz SR6012
9.1 Dolby Atmos
Def Tech Speakers - Front Towers and Center Speaker
Side and Rear Surround - 4 Triad in-wall Silver
Ceiling Speakers - 2 Triad Silver In-Ceiling Round
Sub - Triad Omni 12
Control4 SR260 Remote
Kaleidescape Strato 6GB
Apple TV 4K
Directv
PS5

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sony VPL-VW715ES
Screen Innovations Zero Edge Pro Black Diamond XL 1.2 Gain - 175" diagonal 2.35:1 Cinescope
Marantz SR6012
9.1 Dolby Atmos
Def Tech Speakers - Front Towers and Center Speaker
Side and Rear Surround - 4 Triad in-wall Silver
Ceiling Speakers - 2 Triad Silver In-Ceiling Round
Sub - Triad Omni 12
Control4 SR260 Remote
Kaleidescape Strato 6GB
Apple TV 4K
Directv
PS5
Wow that's huge! How is the projector handling the larger size screen? Is it bright enough?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Wow that's huge! How is the projector handling the larger size screen? Is it bright enough?
It's definitely bright enough, in an environment where I can control the ambient light. It looks great even when we have the bar down lights on at the back of the room (behind our 2 rows of theater seats).

·
Registered
6,299 Posts
It's definitely bright enough, in an environment where I can control the ambient light. It looks great even when we have the bar down lights on at the back of the room (behind our 2 rows of theater seats).
View attachment 3078844
Old Snoke certainly seems in awe of your picture quality. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
6,299 Posts

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Wow! So glad to see an official 715es owners thread. I'm hoping maybe someone can help me here. I currently have my 715es shelf mounted very close to my ceiling at the back of the wall. It currently sits around 17ft from the screen on the shelf. I've decided I want to ceiling mount the 715 and use a pole version so it's not so close to the ceiling like it has been. I was looking at different throw calculators and it seems that 13ft is about the minimum I can mount this for projecting onto a 120" screen. In saying this, I have a few questions.

1. Will moving the projector forward about 4 feet make a difference for the overall brightness and sharpness of the picture.

2. Will ceiling mounting it on a pole further from the ceiling also help with overall brightness and sharpness of the picture.

3. Is 13ft a good distance for 120" screen or can I go even closer? It's a 16:9 1.1 gain elite screen. Nothing major.

Thanks in advance!!!

Sent from my IN2025 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,299 Posts
I am going with a 133" diagonal screen. I am very happy with the 715ES the image on 4K Disc, Netflix or AppleTV+ is fantastic. I picked the 715ES over the NX7 because the Sony has a little newer design and I always had Sony. This forum seems to be leaning toward the NX7 but I would like to see an unbiased shootout between the NX7 and the 715ES ...
No right or wrong here. The Sony is a great projector. certainly on par with the JVC's. Congrats.

·
Registered
6,299 Posts
Wow! So glad to see an official 715es owners thread. I'm hoping maybe someone can help me here. I currently have my 715es shelf mounted very close to my ceiling at the back of the wall. It currently sits around 17ft from the screen on the shelf. I've decided I want to ceiling mount the 715 and use a pole version so it's not so close to the ceiling like it has been. I was looking at different throw calculators and it seems that 13ft is about the minimum I can mount this for projecting onto a 120" screen. In saying this, I have a few questions.

1. Will moving the projector forward about 4 feet make a difference for the overall brightness and sharpness of the picture.

2. Will ceiling mounting it on a pole further from the ceiling also help with overall brightness and sharpness of the picture.

3. Is 13ft a good distance for 120" screen or can I go even closer? It's a 16:9 1.1 gain elite screen. Nothing major.

Thanks in advance!!!

Sent from my IN2025 using Tapatalk
1. Yes.
2. Yes. The more central you can make the lens to the screen the better the image, as you will be using the sweet spot of the lens.
3. Yes. You may be able to go closer but then you will need more zoom and that will negatively affect your on/off contrast.

Also, there is something up with your signature.....:oops:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts