AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 1209 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I received my new 295 yesterday and stated putting it through it's paces. I am extremely impressed with this unit! I'm upgrading from a Panasonic AE8000u that I've had for 6 years. I had actually upgraded to an Optoma UHZ65 about a month ago, but I had to send it back because I'm pretty sensitive to the RBE, as well as the input lag made gaming impossible.

The Sources I have connected to the 295 are:
  1. Custom Gaming PC with NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080ti
  2. Xbox One X
  3. PS4 Pro
  4. Apple TV 4K
All of these sources are switched through a Denon AVR-X3400h, which supports 4K HDR 4:4:4. And I used a 50 foot fiber optic HDMI cable to the projector.

I know one of the issues with the 285, from last year, was not having the full 18Gbps bandwidth. I can confirm the all my sources are working flawlessly with this projector. The PC is connected at 4K HDR 4:4:4. However, for some reason, the Xbox One X has to connect at 8bit color depth, 10bit doesn't show up. But I'm still investing that one.

I'm working on some calibration settings and then I'll post more pics. I'm loving everything about this thing!

Attachments

·
Registered
509 Posts
Nice! Looking forward to some of these reviews :)

·
Banned
6,553 Posts
I received my new 295 yesterday and stated putting it through it's paces. I am extremely impressed with this unit! I'm upgrading from a Panasonic AE8000u that I've had for 6 years. I had actually upgraded to an Optoma UHZ65 about a month ago, but I had to send it back because I'm pretty sensitive to the RBE, as well as the input lag made gaming impossible.

2. Xbox One X
  3. PS4 Pro
  4. Apple TV 4K

All of these sources are switched through a Denon AVR-X3400h, which supports 4K HDR 4:4:4. And I used a 50 foot fiber optic HDMI cable to the projector.

I know one of the issues with the 285, from last year, was not having the full 18Gbps bandwidth. I can confirm the all my sources are working flawlessly with this projector. The PC is connected at 4K HDR 4:4:4. However, for some reason, the Xbox One X has to connect at 8bit color depth, 10bit doesn't show up. But I'm still investing that one.

I'm working on some calibration settings and then I'll post more pics. I'm loving everything about this thing!

If you’re using a PC as the source then it’s most likely sending an RGB signal and at full 60p 4:4:4 it will only be able to send 8 bit. Try changing to YCbCr component 4:2:2/4:2:0 and then you should be able to get 10 bit.

·
Registered
4,776 Posts
If you’re using a PC as the source then it’s most likely sending an RGB signal and at full 60p 4:4:4 it will only be able to send 8 bit. Try changing to YCbCr component 4:2:2/4:2:0 and then you should be able to get 10 bit.
I am with Dave as 60P 4:4:4 at 10 bit or 12 bit would exceed the capacity of 18 GPS HDMI ports that are on most of today's projectors (this is not a Sony, JVC, Epson,etc.. limitation....its an actual limitation of the HDMI chipset until we get HDMI 2.1).

·
Registered
240 Posts
When outputting at 4K 10-bit HDR 60hz, is this capable of 4:2:2 chroma subsampling or just 4:2:0? The 285es is only capable of 4:2:0.

·
Registered
31,192 Posts

2. Xbox One X
  3. PS4 Pro
  4. Apple TV 4K

Congrats, enjoy your new projector. :)

·
Vendor
30,739 Posts

Looking go, you wasted no time to get that up and running. So what was the first material you viewed on her?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I was looking at this for my first projector (though I may wait and see if Epson announces a 5050ub soon), and would be using it mainly with an Xbox One X. I was wondering if you'd had a chance to do much online gaming with it and could comment on input lag. I saw in a review that the 295 was supposed to have a gaming mode, but there weren't any hard numbers.

thanks and enjoy your new projector!

·
Registered
936 Posts
Nice, enjoy your new toy!

Looking forward in reading how that HDR reference mode for 1000 nits content will work out.

·
Premium Member
1,726 Posts
I was looking at this for my first projector (though I may wait and see if Epson announces a 5050ub soon), and would be using it mainly with an Xbox One X. I was wondering if you'd had a chance to do much online gaming with it and could comment on input lag. I saw in a review that the 295 was supposed to have a gaming mode, but there weren't any hard numbers.

thanks and enjoy your new projector!

From what has been discussed it’s 27ms on these models.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Got mine on Wed and finally had some time tonight to watch the regular Blu-ray movies of Harry Potter & the Order of the Phoenix and Alien vs Predator. Currently have an HW-50es running thru a Darbee Darblet and PS3. Watched everything on Cinema1 at factory default settings. Both movies looked great with lots of apparent detail, and good black levels. I did audition the 350ES and RS400 a few years ago. To the best of my recollection the black levels on the 295ES seem better than the 350ES but obviously not quite as good as the RS400.

Hopefully tomorrow the Panny UB820 arrives so I can try some 4K content.

I did experience lip sync issues while playing both Blu-Rays, any idea what might be causing it? I did try turning off True Cinema in the Motionflow settings but it didn’t appear to make any difference.

·
Super Moderator
JVC RS4500 | ST130 G4 135" | MRX 720 | MC303 MC152 | 6.1.4: B&W 802D3, 805D3, 702S2 | 4x15 IB Subs
10,807 Posts

2. Xbox One X
  3. PS4 Pro
  4. Apple TV 4K

Hey for games, make sure you crank up that reality creation. On gaming, I'd go at least resolution 60, noise 10, digital focus no idea ;).
For PC games, poke around in the settings, set the game to 4K (3840x2160) and turn off all antialiasing. The 4K resolution is sharp enough so you won't see jaggies and disabling anti aliasing will massively increase the sharpness on your game. Disable all forms of antialiasing. FXAA, MSAA, all of it to off.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I don't know if I'm in the right place I'm new to this I was given a Sony VPH-1292 Q multiscan projector I know it was first brought out in 1994 so it's old but the gentleman that give it to us was in the process of getting ready to throw it away he said it work but I plugged it in and get the lights on I hit the power button and the fans come on tonight maybe shuts off and goes to standby I have Googled it I can't find nothing that's telling me anything so come here hoping that I can get some answers from other people's knowledge

·
Banned
6,553 Posts
I don't know if I'm in the right place I'm new to this I was given a Sony VPH-1292 Q multiscan projector I know it was first brought out in 1994 so it's old but the gentleman that give it to us was in the process of getting ready to throw it away he said it work but I plugged it in and get the lights on I hit the power button and the fans come on tonight maybe shuts off and goes to standby I have Googled it I can't find nothing that's telling me anything so come here hoping that I can get some answers from other people's knowledge

The best place to go for CRT projectors is right here in the AVS CRT Forum:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/16-crt-projectors/

Or here:

http://curtpalme.com

·
Registered
728 Posts
Waiting for my 295 to come in. Purchased a Panasonic 820 for tone mapping feature but second guessing need for it. I do mostly gaming and would enjoy having an xbox one x more for atmos gaming than having tone mapping with 820.

Thoughts on needing tone mapping feature for 295 and HDR. Think one x would be a sufficient source for movie watching on 295?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hey for games, make sure you crank up that reality creation. On gaming, I'd go at least resolution 60, noise 10, digital focus no idea ;).
For PC games, poke around in the settings, set the game to 4K (3840x2160) and turn off all antialiasing. The 4K resolution is sharp enough so you won't see jaggies and disabling anti aliasing will massively increase the sharpness on your game. Disable all forms of antialiasing. FXAA, MSAA, all of it to off.
This is so true (and great advice). Far Cry 5, on my gaming PC, was set to 4k HDR, with all settings max, including anti-aliasing, by default. It also had an option to render the resolution 1.6x by default. This was equivalent to rendering at 6144 x 3456, LOL. What a waste! Remarkably, my RTX-2080-Ti still got about 50FPS on the benchmark tool. Turning off AA and setting render to 1.0x and everything else max, put it at about 90FPS. For playing I turned on v-sync and locked it at 60fps.
Does reality creation add to latency?

Finally got around to watching some 4K HDR movies on the 295. Holy crap! I'm so impressed! The detail in dark scenes is insane! I'm considering putting it in eco mode because bright objects make you squint, but I like it. One thing I'm considering (based on the AVS thread about blacking out the room link) is to further blackout my room. I have matte black walls, but everything else is lighter color. See attached image. During brighter scenes I loose detail in darker areas, because of all the light bouncing around my room. But that's not the projectors fault. I couldn't be happier with this thing!

Attachments

1 - 20 of 1209 Posts