AVS Forum banner

1121 - 1135 of 1135 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Make sure your aspect ratio is set to normal for 16:9 and that your anamorphic lens setting is 1.24 and make sure trigger is off. And make sure blanking is off. If they are already set, try changing to a different setting, exit menu and restart unit, then set to correct value and restart again. Could be showing on thing but actually set to another, a bug.

Was the unit calibrated by the previous owner? If not I would just do a reset. They probably changed some video presets anyway.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I am seeing clear banding in various movies in HDR and Dolby Vision, and very uneven at that in places especially in darker areas. I was hoping for much better. Have others noticed this?

One very clear example is the opening of Gladiator in the smoke behind the opening titles. It is reminiscent of DVD quality. In fact, when I put in the SDR Blur-Ray disc there is none.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Make sure your player is outputting 10bit and not 8. On the pj maybe play with the smooth gradient setting, also contrast enhancer and reality creation can have an effect.

·
Vendor
27,921 Posts
My heart dropped as I opened the hdmi signal format and saw both set to enhanced already. But I set it to standard and then back again and it's working!! I hope this is a one time glitch! Whoo Hooo!

At one point one of my Ruipro optical hdmi(the one original plugged into input 2 on the projector) would flicker, show pink bars and then color noise whenever I started the hdr calibration in the ps4 pro menu. This was going into hdmi 1 at the time, but it later worked fine with the xbox for full 4k 60 her. I'm wondering if optical cables go bad? It's about 4 years old. I'm kinda worried about plugging it back in to the projector, maybe it caused the issue with hdmi 2 input?
I doubt you caused an issue. If it was anything like that, could be a surge thru your HDMI cable you would think it would have toasted the source HDMI as well at that point.......

·
Registered
167 Posts
Yah it's all working fine now. I did have to switch to passive hdmi only because the optical was causing some sort of ground loop or interference though my denon.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Makes no difference with these settings on or off. Always the same very clear banding and it looks absolutely awful!

Make sure your player is outputting 10bit and not 8. On the pj maybe play with the smooth gradient setting, also contrast enhancer and reality creation can have an effect.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just installed my 295 this last week and been having a power up/initial projection issues that I'm wondering if anyone has dealt with. After the 1st power-up with a steady green light, there is no image, though there is a faint image projecting (see Pic #1). Some subsequent power-cycles produce a projected vertical green line on the left side only (Pic #2). Often, the 295 begins projecting after the third power-cycle, but sometimes it takes a couple more cycles. The 3rd pic shows my projector data. Thoughts?
Pic #1.jpg Pic #2.jpg Pic #3.jpg

·
Registered
1 Posts
Forgive me for asking the following, but I am a current owner of a Sony VPL-HW40ES. I experienced the bulb flicker issue but it was luckily resolved by running the projector on high lamp mode. I have reviewed this forum looking for commentary on whether or not the 295 (well its bulb) likely suffers from the flicker issue. I did see a couple posts but there did not seem to be conclusive answers.

Hence my question is simply:
Is it generally assumed/agreed that the Sony VPL-VW295ES is likely to suffer (and in fact does) the same bulb flicker issues as the VPL-HW40ES?

Let me just add two points of reference/clarification:
  • I understand that lamp based projectors can suffer issues with its lamp both unexpectedly and early in the lamp's theoretical lifetime. I was under the impression (both from reading and personal experience) that this is more chronic with Sony or at least the VPL-HW40ES.
  • To be clear, I had already decided on on an Epson 6050UB for a variety of reasons. However, my dealer (Canada) is having trouble getting one. He suggested going to the VPL-VW295ES. My main reservation in not considering it is this historical bulb issue.

Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
5,773 Posts
I just installed my 295 this last week and been having a power up/initial projection issues that I'm wondering if anyone has dealt with. After the 1st power-up with a steady green light, there is no image, though there is a faint image projecting (see Pic #1). Some subsequent power-cycles produce a projected vertical green line on the left side only (Pic #2). Often, the 295 begins projecting after the third power-cycle, but sometimes it takes a couple more cycles. The 3rd pic shows my projector data. Thoughts?
View attachment 3048440 View attachment 3048443 View attachment 3048445
Get it back to your retailer and get it replaced. Don't settle for a 'repair' as it is technically DOA and unacceptable.

·
Registered
5,773 Posts
Forgive me for asking the following, but I am a current owner of a Sony VPL-HW40ES. I experienced the bulb flicker issue but it was luckily resolved by running the projector on high lamp mode. I have reviewed this forum looking for commentary on whether or not the 295 (well its bulb) likely suffers from the flicker issue. I did see a couple posts but there did not seem to be conclusive answers.

Hence my question is simply:
Is it generally assumed/agreed that the Sony VPL-VW295ES is likely to suffer (and in fact does) the same bulb flicker issues as the VPL-HW40ES?

Let me just add two points of reference/clarification:
  • I understand that lamp based projectors can suffer issues with its lamp both unexpectedly and early in the lamp's theoretical lifetime. I was under the impression (both from reading and personal experience) that this is more chronic with Sony or at least the VPL-HW40ES.
  • To be clear, I had already decided on on an Epson 6050UB for a variety of reasons. However, my dealer (Canada) is having trouble getting one. He suggested going to the VPL-VW295ES. My main reservation in not considering it is this historical bulb issue.
Any comments would be greatly appreciated.
Hi.
All bulb based projectors can suffer from flicker. I had it bad on my 550/675ES. Sony don't mention it is their manuals, but the advice I was given by Prime Support was to run the bulb in high mode for the first hundred hours and then you can set it to low and it should avoid flicker.

Also, if it ever does flicker, they told me to set it to high bulb before you switch it off and then, next time you come to switch it back on you will have to go in and switch back to low , which again can alleviate the issue (if you have it at all of course).

Edited to add that bulb flicker is by no means a given, especially on later units.
If you get a 295, then ask him to give you (if he has some in stock) the most recent one by manufacturing date (on the outside of the box in plain sight).
Or, failing that, if he has to get one from a distributor, then get him to request they send you the newest on on the rack .

·
Registered
1 Posts
Get it back to your retailer and get it replaced. Don't settle for a 'repair' as it is technically DOA and unacceptable.
What is the issue here? I have the same problem as olsonese a few posts above, but can't get past his first picture, the very dim light, but no picture/menu displays at all. Multiple restarts give me nothing. Is this a bulb issue, or something more serious?

My unit is 1 year old with about 600 hours on the lamp, assumed it wasn't the lamp as they should last considerable longer.

·
Registered
5,773 Posts
What is the issue here? I have the same problem as olsonese a few posts above, but can't get past his first picture, the very dim light, but no picture/menu displays at all. Multiple restarts give me nothing. Is this a bulb issue, or something more serious?

My unit is 1 year old with about 600 hours on the lamp, assumed it wasn't the lamp as they should last considerable longer.
Difficult to pin point, but it seems like your bulb isn't igniting properly or there are other optical issues. Take pics and gather your evidence and get your unit back for repair ASAP.
Hopefully you are still under warranty.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Evening, Im looking to purchase the sony295es.Two questions are they releasing a new model next year within the same price range? and if I do purchase the 295es what's the best screen for under $1000, 125" or 130",16:9. I have a dark room and mostly watch movies. Thanks

1121 - 1135 of 1135 Posts