AVS Forum banner

1141 - 1158 of 1158 Posts

·
Registered
6,299 Posts
Thanks all for the suggestions. I should have mentioned earlier I've been running 4k HDR on multiple devices for a year with no problems, when all of a sudden it just stopped working inexplicably for every device. I called Sony ES today and resolved the issue with the tech. He hypothesized it was most likely an EDID handshake error and we resolved it by doing the following:
1. Change HDMI mode on the projector from Enhanced to Standard for both inputs.
2. Reconnect my devices; set resolution to 4k with HDR off.
3. Change the HDMI mode back from Standard to Enhanced.
4. Re-enable HDR on my device(s).

And just like that everything is running smoothly again. Hopefully this info might help someone else save some time in the future.
That is great! Sometimes flicking switches pays off!

Reactions: Autoboat

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi! Wondering if it’s normal to hear a quick “zapping” sound when turning the projector on. Everything seems to be operating normal but sounds almost electric when it turns on. Thanks!

·
Registered
6,299 Posts
Hi! Wondering if it’s normal to hear a quick “zapping” sound when turning the projector on. Everything seems to be operating normal but sounds almost electric when it turns on. Thanks!
Any way you can link to a sound file or suchlike?

·
Registered
A hodge-podge of 20 year old equipment and a brand new 4K PJ!
53 Posts
I am seeing clear banding in various movies in HDR and Dolby Vision, and very uneven at that in places especially in darker areas. I was hoping for much better. Have others noticed this?
Me too... it's actually my #1 annoyance with my image. This shouldn't be happening with 10 bit 4:2:2. I have tried "color gradation" settings, doesn't seem to help much. The transitions from the bands are large too, each spanning what must be many hundreds of color values.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Me too... it's actually my #1 annoyance with my image. This shouldn't be happening with 10 bit 4:2:2. I have tried "color gradation" settings, doesn't seem to help much. The transitions from the bands are large too, each spanning what must be many hundreds of color values.
This seems to be more of a Sony projector thing. From the reviews, even the top end Sonys have banding issues.

·
Registered
6,299 Posts
Do you have any screen shots of scenes where this is happening you can post up?

·
Registered
26 Posts
I received my new 295 yesterday and stated putting it through it's paces. I am extremely impressed with this unit! I'm upgrading from a Panasonic AE8000u that I've had for 6 years. I had actually upgraded to an Optoma UHZ65 about a month ago, but I had to send it back because I'm pretty sensitive to the RBE, as well as the input lag made gaming impossible.

The Sources I have connected to the 295 are:
  1. Custom Gaming PC with NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080ti
  2. Xbox One X
  3. PS4 Pro
  4. Apple TV 4K
All of these sources are switched through a Denon AVR-X3400h, which supports 4K HDR 4:4:4. And I used a 50 foot fiber optic HDMI cable to the projector.

I know one of the issues with the 285, from last year, was not having the full 18Gbps bandwidth. I can confirm the all my sources are working flawlessly with this projector. The PC is connected at 4K HDR 4:4:4. However, for some reason, the Xbox One X has to connect at 8bit color depth, 10bit doesn't show up. But I'm still investing that one.

I'm working on some calibration settings and then I'll post more pics. I'm loving everything about this thing!
Are you able to get HDR from Apple TV 4K into VPL-VW ?

·
Registered
179 Posts
I'm looking to upgrade to a 4k projector and at $5k for this one that's 2 years old seems pretty steep. Is this still a good buy or is there a better purchase for that money (or less)?

I'm currently using a Pioneer Pro FPJ1 (yes, still :D).

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hi guys,

I'm thinking of potentially upgrading from a Panasonic PT-AE8000 to this Sony 295 projector, has anyone else made this jump? Trying to work out if it's worth it. Not sure if resolution is everything, I love my deep blacks, so not sure if a high end 1080p deep black projector from 2012 is better than an entry level native 4k projector from 2018.

Your thoughts are appreciated :)

·
Registered
6,299 Posts
Hi guys,

I'm thinking of potentially upgrading from a Panasonic PT-AE8000 to this Sony 295 projector, has anyone else made this jump? Trying to work out if it's worth it. Not sure if resolution is everything, I love my deep blacks, so not sure if a high end 1080p deep black projector from 2012 is better than an entry level native 4k projector from 2018.

If your room is conducive to it then a 295 will offer an upgrade. Just don't use it on a screen over 110-120" IMO.
No native 4K projector (within reason) can match the best 1080 machines for contrast as the pixel fill is too great.
Get a demo if possible or order it from a place you can return it to if it doesn't live up to its promise.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Wondering if anyone has had experience with lamp life in high mode. Low lamp mode is estimated by Sony at 6000 what can I expect in high mode? Half?

·
Registered
6,299 Posts
Wondering if anyone has had experience with lamp life in high mode. Low lamp mode is estimated by Sony at 6000 what can I expect in high mode? Half?
I would postulate that it would be around a third before brightness wanes too much. It all depends on your usage patterns and mechanical sympathy too of course.

Reactions: Dan F

·
Registered
2 Posts
Can anyone provide dealer contacts? I was not aware this unit could be had for less than the $5,000 Best Buy/Amazon prices. Thank you!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Anyone ever wall mounted one of these? I got 13' ceilings and would prefer to mount it on a wall somewhere, just not sure if there are any mounts that it would work with.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi guys,

I went from a Panasonic AE-4000 to the 295ES. I don't really notice a difference in black levels, and I keep my Sony on eco mode. However, the difference in picture quality is amazing. I couldn't read the text from my htpc on the panny, but it's crystal clear on the sony. 1080p->true 4K is amazing.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I'm currently wiring a theater and won't be ready for the finish installation for a few months. I had my eye on the 295ES but I'm wondering if a successor will be released soon and if it is worth waiting? Or is the 295ES so good that there really won't be anything noteworthy to wait for? Also, somebody mentioned using a dealer to get a better price on this a few posts above and I'm wondering where people find such dealers? I am in the northeast US.

1141 - 1158 of 1158 Posts