AVS Forum banner

1161 - 1180 of 1229 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Hi
I am about to join this club as I’ve settled on purchasing a Sony VPL-VW295ES.

I’d like to ask you owners what you suggest for a screen.

I’m considering 145” diagonal screen, about 133” horizontal width.

My room is pretty dark with blackout shades.

My projector will be about 16 feet from the screen. Will this projector be ok with such a distance and that size screen?

I watch YouTube TV and Netflix via Roku 4K ultra.

My installer suggests SI zero edge.
I don’t need acoustic transparent.

What screen do you folks suggest?
Thanks

·
Vendor
30,875 Posts
Hi

First look at this, 4500 + rating all 4 and 5 star, you ever seen something rated so high on amazon, I have not >>>>

Sure you can buy a $3000 screen, will it be 1000% better then the above screen?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi, I think my projector is starting to fail.

When turning it on, the image comes up later and later, after minutes even, while the LED status lamp stays blinking green. After finally turning on, I can detect a very slight luminance fluctuation - just between two very close levels of brightness. Barely visible and only when looking for it, not noticeable when whatching something. The lamp only has around 1800 hours. Any ideas what is going on?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi folks,

Moved to VW270 (295) from my 4 year old HW45ES. I had a flickering issue on HW45 in low lamp mode, which presumably wouldn't exist if I run first 100 hours in high mode (by comments on forums).

1) Does VW295 has the same flickering issue or I can safely use Low Lamp mode since day one of usage?
2) Playstation 4 (non-pro) and apple TV 4K in 1080p HDR mode don't trigger HDR gamma on projector, in projector's status menu it shows 1080p/60/HDR10 mode but everything is washed out and Contrast(HDR) setting is not shown in picture settings menu. I assume this projector supports HDR only in 4K? That strange, my 4K Samsung TV can show 1080p HDR on the same source without issues...
3) Color banding/artefacts issues. I use HDMI standard mode (enhanced mode doesn't work through Marantz receiver) but even if connecting directly to AppleTV4K and turning on enhanced mode color banding and some strange color artefacts sometimes appear in action scenes. Is it possible to check which color mode 8/10/12 bit is active right now on apple tv?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi folks,

Moved to VW270 (295) from my 4 year old HW45ES. I had a flickering issue on HW45 in low lamp mode, which presumably wouldn't exist if I run first 100 hours in high mode (by comments on forums).

1) Does VW295 has the same flickering issue or I can safely use Low Lamp mode since day one of usage?
2) Playstation 4 (non-pro) and apple TV 4K in 1080p HDR mode don't trigger HDR gamma on projector, in projector's status menu it shows 1080p/60/HDR10 mode but everything is washed out and Contrast(HDR) setting is not shown in picture settings menu. I assume this projector supports HDR only in 4K? That strange, my 4K Samsung TV can show 1080p HDR on the same source without issues...
3) Color banding/artefacts issues. I use HDMI standard mode (enhanced mode doesn't work through Marantz receiver) but even if connecting directly to AppleTV4K and turning on enhanced mode color banding and some strange color artefacts sometimes appear in action scenes. Is it possible to check which color mode 8/10/12 bit is active right now on apple tv?

Thanks!
All sorted out:
1) No evidence found in the internet of lamp flickering for VW270. Looks like an issue of older projectors.
2) HDR curves only supported for 4K resolution. However German HDR curves manually uploaded to projector support 1080p.
3) Color banding was related to AppleTV 4k, looks like it has crappy video processor in 4k as in 1080p appleTV doesn't have banding. Connection HDMI cable to iMac clearly shows that there's no banding in VW270 or almost non visible. I assume every case of color banding relates to crappy signal in 4K as it requires really good hardware.

·
Registered
7,880 Posts
All sorted out:
1) No evidence found in the internet of lamp flickering for VW270. Looks like an issue of older projectors.
2) HDR curves only supported for 4K resolution. However German HDR curves manually uploaded to projector support 1080p.
3) Color banding was related to AppleTV 4k, looks like it has crappy video processor in 4k as in 1080p appleTV doesn't have banding. Connection HDMI cable to iMac clearly shows that there's no banding in VW270 or almost non visible. I assume every case of color banding relates to crappy signal in 4K as it requires really good hardware.
Sorry, I meant to answer your post from 9 days ago, but things got in the way.

* So, unfortunately, yes, they can suffer from flickering but it is by no means certain. When it happened to my 550ES a way back, I was informed by Sony to run it in high for 10 minutes and then reduce it again and it would sort it out. And also they said to prevent it flickering when first switched on, it should be put in high lamp mode before shutting down and then when it comes on from cold it wouldn't happen. You can then choose low lamp if you want and it shouldn't flicker.
They also advised me that 'running it in high lamp mode for the first 100 hours or so' would mitigate the flickering from happening until the bulb has some proper age on it.
If that is official advice (which it could be construed as being, because it came from one of their techs), it should be in the manual, but it isn't.
If it isn't happening to yours, I wouldn't be too concerned. And if it odes start, use the methods described above to mitigate it. :)

* German curves require that you get your source to convert HDR to SDR/BT2020 so you can apply a standard gamma curve to the signal. In that scenario, HDR mode will NOT be engaged. It will still be native 4k if that is what the source is sending however. Auto conversion to 1080p tends to happen only where HDCP2.2/3 has a meltdown, or part of the chain hasn't had the relevant mode enabled. Such as 'Enhanced Format' for example. It happens to try to pass at least a usable signal even if the HDCP system can only agree to pass HDCP1.4.

* As for any banding, the 270 is full 18Gbps capable and has an X1 chip in it for processing duties. Everything is 10bit capable too, so banding should rarely rear its head.
Make sure you set the HDMI ports to 'Enhanced Format' and 'Auto' or 'Limited' for HDMI Dynamic Range.
Make sure there is no conversion from 10bit to 8 bit happening or you will get mucho banding. Make sure all components in your chain are set to full 18Gbps bandwidth (4K 4:4:4 8bit 60hz/4K 4:2:2 12bit 60hz capable modes will cover it all).
Make sure you are on the latest firmware too as there was a specific one to fix ATV issues. Latest is 2.100 I believe.

·
Registered
7,880 Posts
how do you update the firmware? I am getting banding and it's driving me crazy
You need to be a bit more specific. All the devices in the chain need to be set to full bandwidth, colour space and depth to avoid any conversion which leads to banding.
What are all your devices (Source, AVR etc) and what does your PJ say the signal is when banding appears?

·
Registered
7,880 Posts
Also, what version of firmware are you already running?

·
Registered
3,616 Posts
Thinking of upgrading my hw40es to a 295es. my hw40es is ceiling mounted...about 16.5ft .projecting onto a 135inch 16/9 screen.

Will I be ok installing the 295es in the same spot. Are the mounts compatible? Currently have a RPMA020.

·
Registered
7,880 Posts
Thinking of upgrading my hw40es to a 295es. my hw40es is ceiling mounted...about 16.5ft .projecting onto a 135inch 16/9 screen.

Will I be ok installing the 295es in the same spot. Are the mounts compatible? Currently have a RPMA020.
Hi.
The mounting holes are exactly the same dimensions, so will be a straight swap.
The 295 has 'only' 1500 lumens though so, even though it should be okay with your screen at that distance, it will be dimmer all things being equal.

Use this page from the manual to check if the throw will be okay.

thow range v screen size.jpg

·
Registered
832 Posts
Hey folks,

I'm sure this question has been aske before, but looking for a reply for someone who is not super technical to get up and running. I am trying to control my 295ES with my harmony elite remote. I also have the hub in my component rack. I have one IR blaster connected to the hub and it sits in my component rack near the xbox. Do I need to make use of the IR in and tigger port on the projector somehow? What do I need to connect where?

What wiring if any do I need to do to get the projector to turn on/off appropriately?

·
Registered
328 Posts

I have the same projector and love it, also thinking of upgrading let us know what you think after purchase and comparison.

Reactions: Archibald1

·
Registered
328 Posts
Hi

My room is pretty dark with blackout shades.

My projector will be about 16 feet from the screen. Will this projector be ok with such a distance and that size screen?

I watch YouTube TV and Netflix via Roku 4K ultra.

My installer suggests SI zero edge.
I don’t need acoustic transparent.

What screen do you folks suggest?
Thanks
If you are handy, build your own. Even with lumber prices high right now, at least consider it. I love mine, 124 inch screen spend about $100.

I like what Cleveland Plasma suggested, but the bezel size creates so much screen loss.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi friends,
I just picked up the new 325ES and I’m struggling with one thing. For the life of me, after reading and re-reading the manual, I can’t figure out how far below the ceiling I would need to mount the projector (eg flush with ceiling vs 6” down or something). I’ll be projection to a 123” 16:9 fixed frame Stewart Cima screen, from about 12.5’ back. The top of the screen will be about 3”-5” from the ceiling (haven’t hung it yet). I’m asking here as I assume this stuff would all be the same between 295ES and 325ES…

Lastly, is there a recommended ceiling mount to use with this? The one referred to in the manual doesn’t seem to be in stock anywhere and seems to be discontinued (Sony PSS-H10).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi friends,
I just picked up the new 325ES and I’m struggling with one thing. For the life of me, after reading and re-reading the manual, I can’t figure out how far below the ceiling I would need to mount the projector (eg flush with ceiling vs 6” down or something). I’ll be projection to a 123” 16:9 fixed frame Stewart Cima screen, from about 12.5’ back. The top of the screen will be about 3”-5” from the ceiling (haven’t hung it yet). I’m asking here as I assume this stuff would all be the same between 295ES and 325ES…

Lastly, is there a recommended ceiling mount to use with this? The one referred to in the manual doesn’t seem to be in stock anywhere and seems to be discontinued (Sony PSS-H10).
With the top of your screen at that height, you should be fine to place it virtually any reasonable distance from the ceiling. Play around with the vertical image shift setting and you'll see just how far up and down it goes (pretty far).
Never used a mount so can't comment there.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Hi friends,

check out legrandav.com. They have a nice guide that should point you in the right direction.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Just got my 295ES as a closeout on Best buy for a ridiculous price. It has firmware 2.0 in it, and according to Sony there are no downloads available for the unit. Any secret paths to get the spoken about 2.1 firmware??

1161 - 1180 of 1229 Posts