AVS Forum banner

1181 - 1200 of 1229 Posts

·
Registered
16,595 Posts
Just got my 295ES as a closeout on Best buy for a ridiculous price. It has firmware 2.0 in it, and according to Sony there are no downloads available for the unit. Any secret paths to get the spoken about 2.1 firmware??
+1, Also looking for the 2.1 firmware (or whatever the most recent is).

* Does anyone have a good source for the official lamp (other than Sony directly, possibly less expensive)?

Thank you, much appreciated !
- Jason

·
Registered
7,880 Posts
+1, Also looking for the 2.1 firmware (or whatever the most recent is).

* Does anyone have a good source for the official lamp (other than Sony directly, possibly less expensive)?

Thank you, much appreciated !
- Jason
All of the firmwares that were mooted for various Sony models don't seem to have materialised and so we carry on waiting....

·
Registered
16,595 Posts
All of the firmwares that were mooted for various Sony models don't seem to have materialised and so we carry on waiting....
Ah, I was under the impression that 2.1 was out in the wild already (had hoped that somebody would upload it to google, mega, etc.).

I don't have an ATV4K so it sounds like I should be ok with 2.0, I have not read through the entire thread so don't know what other anomalies to look for (expect).

* I am doing a head-to-head with my 5050ub so want to be sure I see the 295es at it's best. (y)

Thank you,
- Jason

·
Registered
229 Posts
Just got my 295ES as a closeout on Best buy for a ridiculous price. It has firmware 2.0 in it, and according to Sony there are no downloads available for the unit. Any secret paths to get the spoken about 2.1 firmware??
I got a open box at Best Buy for same. I have 30 days to run it through it's paces. Sound like I should look for banding issues and flickering. Anything else? I'll probably add the extended warranty just in case. Replacing an HT3550. Can't wait to see the difference. I'll probably keep both to save the 295ES bulb for movies

·
Registered
229 Posts
Ah, I was under the impression that 2.1 was out in the wild already (had hoped that somebody would upload it to google, mega, etc.).

I don't have an ATV4K so it sounds like I should be ok with 2.0, I have not read through the entire thread so don't know what other anomalies to look for (expect).

* I am doing a head-to-head with my 5050ub so want to be sure I see the 295es at it's best. (y)

Thank you,
- Jason
I can't wait to hear your impressions. I'm running it against an HT3550. Looking forward to better blacks and dark details. Those get lost currently.

·
Registered
16,595 Posts
I can't wait to hear your impressions. I'm running it against an HT3550. Looking forward to better blacks and dark details. Those get lost currently.
Just started doing a split screen H2H tonight. (y)

I got a open box at Best Buy for same. I have 30 days to run it through it's paces. Sound like I should look for banding issues and flickering. Anything else? I'll probably add the extended warranty just in case. Replacing an HT3550. Can't wait to see the difference. I'll probably keep both to save the 295ES bulb for movies
You'll be paying ~$600 for an extra year since the 295es comes with a 3 year from Sony (the BestBuy warranty is 4 years and runs concurrent). ;)

- Jason

Reactions: duihlein67

·
Registered
22 Posts
Mine is working really great. 1100 hrs on the bulb. still carrying full warranty. Magnolia floor model for a ridiculous price. I am not really worried about any issues as in this case 1100 hrs on it, they would have surfaced already. This is actually me second Sony projector, but the last one was back around 2002'ish. My old unit was a Marantz VPL12S4s, so that was a lot of jump in resolution, but I sure like this 295ES. Be good when Sony releases the 2.1. Nothing works better than a OEM that are transparent, informative and helpful.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Mine is working really great. 1100 hrs on the bulb. still carrying full warranty. Magnolia floor model for a ridiculous price. I am not really worried about any issues as in this case 1100 hrs on it, they would have surfaced already. This is actually me second Sony projector, but the last one was back around 2002'ish. My old unit was a Marantz VPL12S4s, so that was a lot of jump in resolution, but I sure like this 295ES. Be good when Sony releases the 2.1. Nothing works better than a OEM that are transparent, informative and helpful.
I have a feeling mine is the same, floor model. Nice to get full warranty. Maybe bulbs will drop in price by the time I need one. Still at this price it's a great way to wait for laser 4k HT quality projectors. When I'm ready to upgrade I should get at least half my $$ back.

·
Registered
2 Posts
So I'm now going to be on my THIRD 295ES because of a blurring issue. The first projector the servicing company couldn't get a replacement part for months so Sony sent me a new unit. New unit had the exact same issue so it went back into the repair shop. This time they did get a replacement optical block but it didn't solve the issue so they sent it directly to Sony. After a couple of days I got a call from Sony that they're going to send me ANOTHER new unit. I can't be the only one with this issue...especially since I got two bad units in a row. It's really obvious on white text, it is almost like a halo effect. When watching content, I felt like I was needing to put on glasses. It could never reach a true focus. And because I couldn't get a focus it was impossible to accurately complete a panel alignment (as you can tell by the color hue in the picture). Also it's important to note, this wasn't on a specific input. Even just the projector menu screen had issues (picture that is attached).

Image.jpeg

·
Registered
2 Posts
So I'm now going to be on my THIRD 295ES because of a blurring issue. The first projector the servicing company couldn't get a replacement part for months so Sony sent me a new unit. New unit had the exact same issue so it went back into the repair shop. This time they did get a replacement optical block but it didn't solve the issue so they sent it directly to Sony. After a couple of days I got a call from Sony that they're going to send me ANOTHER new unit. I can't be the only one with this issue...especially since I got two bad units in a row. It's really obvious on white text, it is almost like a halo effect. When watching content, I felt like I was needing to put on glasses. It could never reach a true focus. And because I couldn't get a focus it was impossible to accurately complete a panel alignment (as you can tell by the color hue in the picture). Also it's important to note, this wasn't on a specific input. Even just the projector menu screen had issues (picture that is attached).

View attachment 3142517
Let me add, that while I have had issues with the projector, Sony's servicing department for the projectors has been excellent and responsive, and the repair company as well. It sucks having these issues, but it's a lot less frustrating knowing that they are working with me to correct the issue.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have a feeling mine is the same, floor model. Nice to get full warranty. Maybe bulbs will drop in price by the time I need one. Still at this price it's a great way to wait for laser 4k HT quality projectors. When I'm ready to upgrade I should get at least half my $$ back.
From what I gather you can get the genuine Phiwwwwips bulb, and just insert that into your old housing. Lots of money to save and you get genuine OEM. I think that is where I am heading, just to have a spare lamp.

·
Registered
8,070 Posts
That is the good thing about the Sony's. It is easy to get the Phillips bare lamp at a very low price and put it in the old housing.

·
Registered
16,595 Posts
That is the good thing about the Sony's. It is easy to get the Phillips bare lamp at a very low price and put it in the old housing.
Do you have a reputable vendor for the bare lamp (possibly a link)?

Thank you,
Jason

·
Registered
22 Posts
Also picked one up from Best Buy for a great price. So far so good. Didn't come with a remote but no big deal.

Other than banding, anything else i should look out for in the return window? Main use will be sports and movies. no gaming

·
Registered
22 Posts
Also picked one up from Best Buy for a great price. So far so good. Didn't come with a remote but no big deal.

Other than banding, anything else i should look out for in the return window? Main use will be sports and movies. no gaming
I was a bit nervous as well, but at a super low $$ with full warranty, my thought was that I could afford to hassle a bit with issues. Then I learned that there was a full 3 years on it. Mine was adv. with no remote, but the very helpful magnolia guy at BB, lemme sniff around and we found a remote dangling in a coil from the ceiling. Whathcaknow...... That was the remote. He had no clue as they were crestron'ing it via rs-232. Might be worth a look at your store and "sniff around" ya might find one.

·
Registered
16,595 Posts
I got the proper Sony PJ28 remote and the lens cap, both of which look brand new as they pulled them out of a drawer and installed new batteries in the remote.

They asked if I wanted the power cable that was routed up into the ceiling, lol.

- Jason

·
Registered
229 Posts
I need to remember this when it comes time for them to retire the 325se. To bad they don't keep demo units of the higher priced ones. lol

·
Registered
229 Posts
I finally found time to get things set up. I set the projector on a table and set the zoom/lens shift till I got the picture aligned. I have a 16x9 screen and can see a light border beyond my screens border (3" I think) Is this normal and what is the best way to mask it? Has anyone created a 3d printed mask for the lens? I guess the other option is paint my walls dark. Overall the picture is amazing. Low light mode. 120" screen 14 ft away. This thing is plenty bright. Watched a little Dark Knight and contrast/black levels looked very good compared to my DLP.

·
Registered
16,595 Posts
I finally found time to get things set up. I set the projector on a table and set the zoom/lens shift till I got the picture aligned. I have a 16x9 screen and can see a light border beyond my screens border (3" I think) Is this normal and what is the best way to mask it? Has anyone created a 3d printed mask for the lens? I guess the other option is paint my walls dark. Overall the picture is amazing. Low light mode. 120" screen 14 ft away. This thing is plenty bright. Watched a little Dark Knight and contrast/black levels looked very good compared to my DLP.

There is a Blanking feature, make sure Aspect is set to Normal and that you are sending 3840 x 2160p (not 4096 x 2160p).

Looks like those of us that grabbed one did so just in time... the closeout price just went up $750.

- Jason

1181 - 1200 of 1229 Posts