AVS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 6394 Posts

·
Registered
30,972 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7channelfreak  /t/1492355/official-sony-vpl-vw500es-vw600es-4k-projector-thread#post_23776279

Agreed. I'll be back in there tomorrow. You and I need to chat about this soon.

Call me next week. Looking like this is going to be my next projector.

Anybody near me that wants to come see it, let me know.

·
Registered
30,972 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMAGDNIM  /t/1492355/official-sony-vpl-vw500es-vw600es-4k-projector-thread#post_23780337

I'll be following this thread fir sure. I was close to buying a VPL-VW95 in my last setup. The VW1000 was out of my price range.

We recently moved into a new house, and I left most of my HT gear when we sold our old place. I'm not starting the basement till next fall so I've got some time. My last projector was a DLA RS55.

Sent you a PM.

·
Registered
12,890 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5  /t/1492355/official-sony-vpl-vw500es-vw600es-4k-projector-thread#post_23781746

Call me next week. Looking like this is going to be my next projector.

Anybody near me that wants to come see it, let me know.

You like this pj better than the new JVCs?

·
Registered
21,464 Posts
Of course he doesn't. He sells both and must politically remain in favor of both. He obviously flipped a coin, 4 out of 7 and said rats, the Sony came up. I had to buy the more expensive one when the JVC is really quite good.

Anyway, why did you ask the question? I realize you probably couldn't answer it yourself merely based on his post and actually had to ask him in print expecting an answer.

Let me ask you a question instead. How do you spell the word "cow?
Coweieio?

Of course the set up of the Sony could better fit his particular home theater. The Sony is brighter and Mike does have a large screen.

Or maybe he wants the 4K material on the Sony server and through its down load service and you can use the server with anything but a Sony projector.

Maybe he just wants to own a 4K rated lens.

Maybe his theater room gets a little cold during those long KY winters and he needs the extra heat that will be provided by the additional 45 watts of the Sony bulb.

·
Banned
2,406 Posts
only the poor will own JVC this fall
Seriously, anybody who had MONEY to burn, seemed to end up with a VW1000. And, it wasn't for 4k content obviously. Now if i'm getting 85% of what the rich boys are getting I'll be happy

.....or get a line of credit or mortgage your house again, etc.

·
Registered
21,464 Posts
I scraped to buy it and sold several very good projectors. Didn't have to borrow any money and I have had no regrets. I feel no need to upgrade especially in light of the upgrade to the 1000ES Sony is offering for peanuts once you factor out the cost of the new bulb, server, and tablet and the install it in your house that's included. Less than the cost of flying to Cedia and staying for a few days.

·
Registered
16,942 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericglo  /t/1492355/official-sony-vpl-vw500es-vw600es-4k-projector-thread#post_23781824

You like this pj better than the new JVCs?

I sure did from what little I saw of the 3 (600, 4910 and RS67). I would love to hear Mike's take on it (or Mark, etc....) since I don't really know exactly what it was that was better about the Sony, but it was clearly better to my eyes in general. The whole image just seemed to be on a higher level even if technically it would not quite match the JVCs for contrast (I found nothing lacking with the Sony for contrast/black level from what I saw though). And the 1000/1100 is even better? Wow........that must be one hell of a nice machine!

I would definitely swap out my HP for a JKP 1.1 as well if I got the Sony just to get the screen out of the way that much more which seems especially important with this type of quality projection as it really does have a "looking through a window" type effect unlike any of the other projectors I have seen (which are all in and around the JVC price class to be fair).

·
Premium Member
11,951 Posts
I thought the Sony looked great on their massive screen. Wasn't the best demo room to evaluate contrast though. Blacks looked a little grayish to me, but again, not a great room. The demo clips were also pretty short. Resolution looked fantastic, especially with the 4K clip from their camera. I didn't get the chance to ask about HDMI 2.0 or not but I did hear 4K60fps at 4:2:0, which is what everyone is passing on with the HDMI 1.4 "enhancements" so it doesn't seem to be 100% clear. The JVC Pro booth also looked spectacular but without a direct comparison in similar circumstances I couldn't say which I'd prefer overall.

·
Registered
16,942 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Deering  /t/1492355/official-sony-vpl-vw500es-vw600es-4k-projector-thread#post_23782094

I thought the Sony looked great on their massive screen. Wasn't the best demo room to evaluate contrast though. Blacks looked a little grayish to me, but again, not a great room. The demo clips were also pretty short. Resolution looked fantastic, especially with the 4K clip from their camera. I didn't get the chance to ask about HDMI 2.0 or not but I did hear 4K60fps at 4:2:0, which is what everyone is passing on with the HDMI 1.4 "enhancements" so it doesn't seem to be 100% clear. The JVC Pro booth also looked spectacular but without a direct comparison in similar circumstances I couldn't say which I'd prefer overall.

Do you know how big that screen was by chance Kris? They did not know the exact size when I asked, but told me it was a ST130.

·
Registered
12,092 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe  /t/1492355/official-sony-vpl-vw500es-vw600es-4k-projector-thread#post_23782022

I sure did from what little I saw of the 3 (600, 4910 and RS67). I would love to hear Mike's take on it (or Mark, etc....) since I don't really know exactly what it was that was better about the Sony, but it was clearly better to my eyes in general. The whole image just seemed to be on a higher level even if technically it would not quite match the JVCs for contrast (I found nothing lacking with the Sony for contrast/black level from what I saw though). And the 1000/1100 is even better? Wow........that must be one hell of a nice machine!

I would definitely swap out my HP for a JKP 1.1 as well if I got the Sony just to get the screen out of the way that much more which seems especially important with this type of quality projection as it really does have a "looking through a window" type effect unlike any of the other projectors I have seen (which are all in and around the JVC price class to be fair).

I saw the JVC's and the Sony 600ES, and they are of course both very nice. I really did think the JVC's looked very 'rich', with that high contrast. The Sony was just excellent overall. It would be a hard choice for me if were in the market for one this year. If my screen were small enough for the JVC to light it up well, I might choose it. But being hooked on a large screen, I would probably choose the Sony because of its higher brightness.

Also, the JVC unit (RS57?--I've not kept up with their labels this yr) that is one step below the top-of-the-line (with 'hand selected' components) might be only half the street price of the Sony 600. And even if one can afford it, price/performance is still a factor in ones decision.

·
Registered
12,092 Posts
Re screens, yes it seems like the StudioTek 1.3 was a popular screen for Sony and JVC. I went by the Dalite booth and saw that they now have a 1.3 version of their 'HD Performance' line, which seems to be the same as the JPK Infinity. (Can someone correct me on this?)

With my size screen, though, I'm afraid a 1.3 gain is not enough even with the Sony1000. Thus I will probably stay with the HP2.4 until I ultimately move to a smaller living situation.

·
Registered
21,464 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe  /t/1492355/official-sony-vpl-vw500es-vw600es-4k-projector-thread#post_23782112

Do you know how big that screen was by chance Kris? They did not know the exact size when I asked, but told me it was a ST130.

I think it was the same booth as last year. Check out last year'.s thread and its in there. I think it was 12 feet but I don't remember for sure. 13ft verified by Mike G.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Since this is the official thread, it means people actually own one? how does it look? what set up do you have? where did you get it from?

·
Registered
21,464 Posts
No. That would be a different thread called the OFFICIAL SONY VPL-VW500/600ES OWNERS' thread. That doesn't exist yet since the projector is not available for ownership yet. I hope this lucid explanation helps.

·
Registered
30,972 Posts
The Sony was shot onto a 179" diagonal 16:9 Stewart ST130screen. Nice and bright, very sharp. Motion looked good. Motion was one of the things I was looking closely at. Loved the image. Contrast and black levels also loved very good. Really looking forward to owner's comments, once this projector hits the streets. Craig and I viewed the Sony several times.

·
Registered
Triple Stack w/ JVC RS2000/N7| Runco Q750 w/ Navitar lens| M-Vision Cine LED
5,401 Posts
I knew someone would start this thread before the first person had it. Disappointing for the first person to actually own one.

·
Registered
21,464 Posts
Blee. Its OK. The word OWNER does not appear in the title. So there has been no preemption. And if someone illegitimately starts an owners' thread labeled official, you could start a truly official one labeled the official official owners' thread.

·
Registered
Triple Stack w/ JVC RS2000/N7| Runco Q750 w/ Navitar lens| M-Vision Cine LED
5,401 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich  /t/1492355/official-sony-vpl-vw500es-vw600es-4k-projector-thread/0_40#post_23782322

Blee. Its OK. The word OWNER does not appear in the title. So there has been no preemption. And if someone illegitimately starts an owners' thread labeled official, you could start a truly official one labeled the official official owners' thread.

LOL

·
Registered
16,942 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich  /t/1492355/official-sony-vpl-vw500es-vw600es-4k-projector-thread/30#post_23782152

I think it was the same booth as last year. Check out last year'.s thread and its in there. I think it was 12 feet but I don't remember for sure. 13ft verified by Mike G.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5  /t/1492355/official-sony-vpl-vw500es-vw600es-4k-projector-thread/30#post_23782268

The Sony was shot onto a 179" diagonal 16:9 Stewart ST130screen. Nice and bright, very sharp. Motion looked good. Motion was one of the things I was looking closely at. Loved the image. Contrast and black levels also loved very good. Really looking forward to owner's comments, once this projector hits the streets. Craig and I viewed the Sony several times.

Thanks Mike/Mark, I was very curious about this. 13' wide 1.3 screen and it looked that sharp, bright and punchy........
I loved the image as well.

·
Registered
12,092 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5  /t/1492355/official-sony-vpl-vw500es-vw600es-4k-projector-thread/30#post_23782268

Mike, I calculate that a screen of that size has an area of 95 sq ft. So if the Sony600 were putting out 1500 lumens (probably a stretch, if accurately calibrated), this 1.3 gain screen would produce ~ 20 ftL. This would be be nice and bright, but we know that the lamp won't continue at this level very long. I would like to think about replacing my HP screen with one of the high quality 1.3 gain screens (Stewart or Dalite), but I do worry about brightness. (When zoomed for 2.35, my projected area is 81 sqft, and about 68 sqft for 16x9).

21 - 40 of 6394 Posts