AVS Forum banner

341 - 360 of 965 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
The VPL-VW1000ES Protocol Manual has instructions and codes for all functions. I'm sure they're all still supported. On page 13, it has all the aspect discrete codes. (I tried to attach the manual here, not sure if it worked but here is a link: http://hifiandtheater.com/files/VPL-VW1000ES,VW1100ES_ProtocolManual.pdf).

You would take these codes and run them through MakeHex (here is a binary built: http://hifiandtheater.com/files/makehex.zip) to generate pronto codes.
Once you have the pronto codes, they can be output by usbuirt or learned by harmony etc.
Thanks for this. Between MakeHex, iRscrutinizer, the existing codes on remotecentral, and the manual Mark provided, I sent a support request in to Harmony with what I think will work. Will update here when I hear back. I went with Protocol Sony20, Device Code 26, Subdevice Code 39, Function 72. (72 being the conversion of 48hex to decimal)

·
Super Moderator
JVC RS4500 | ST130 G4 135" | MRX 720 | MC303 MC152 | 6.1.4: B&W 802D3, 805D3, 702S2 | 4x15 IB Subs
10,623 Posts
Thanks for this. Between MakeHex, iRscrutinizer, the existing codes on remotecentral, and the manual Mark provided, I sent a support request in to Harmony with what I think will work. Will update here when I hear back. I went with Protocol Sony20, Device Code 26, Subdevice Code 39, Function 72. (72 being the conversion of 48hex to decimal)
This is one area where owning a USBUirt is so helpful. You could make the code with makehex and run the code with uuirt and learning with the harmony or other learning remote. Never a need to hope some company does your bidding for you.

·
Premium Member
642 Posts
I asked exactly this same question in the Panamorph thread in the 20k+ forum - and have not received a response. I use a Harmony, and they have several "Wide Mode" discrete codes which toggle the various Aspects (including Wide Mode Anamorphic for 2.4:1 content) but not one for Squeeze to show 16:9 content.

My dealer has reached out to their Sony rep - hopefully I get a positive response. Absent that, I think that I am going to write a macro that sends Wide Mode Anamorphic, and then 2 Aspect calls to toggle Squeeze mode on startup of certain activities (to display a full Apple TV menu, for example).

My guess is most of the existing codes are from a list similar to this:

http://www.remotecentral.com/cgi-bin/mboard/rc-discrete/thread.cgi?7319
I figured out a work around that is working for me. There's a section in the Menu where you can save multiple User position settings. Since I only need two different aspect ratios, I saved normal to User1 and vertical stretch to User2. Now, I programmed my 2.35 macro to press "Position, wait a second, Position, Enter". Also in the macro is the command to move the panamorph in. The 16x9 macro has the same projector commands with the panamorph lens out. It isn't perfect because I basically toggling the two projector settings but if things get out of sync, it's easy enough to remedy, but so far it's been working flawlessly.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I figured out a work around that is working for me. There's a section in the Menu where you can save multiple User position settings. Since I only need two different aspect ratios, I saved normal to User1 and vertical stretch to User2. Now, I programmed my 2.35 macro to press "Position, wait a second, Position, Enter". Also in the macro is the command to move the panamorph in. The 16x9 macro has the same projector commands with the panamorph lens out. It isn't perfect because I basically toggling the two projector settings but if things get out of sync, it's easy enough to remedy, but so far it's been working flawlessly.
That's interesting! I thought I tried that (saving the Aspect to each of two Position settings) but I feel like it didn't save the Aspect setting with the position data. Will have to try it one more time tonight - simply using position to toggle between two settings was good enough for me, too.

·
Premium Member
642 Posts
New owner here and I have a couple of questions. Is there a way to speed up the process of switching resolutions? Whenever I select a different streaming service, my pj goes black for about 15 seconds. Maybe a setting either in the pj or the source box or processor?

Second question is about 3D. I know it's basically dead but my kids want to see it and the specs claim it supports 3D but the setting is missing from the menu system even though it's still listed in the manual. Did Sony delete this function?

Thanks!

·
Registered
7,784 Posts
New owner here and I have a couple of questions. Is there a way to speed up the process of switching resolutions? Whenever I select a different streaming service, my pj goes black for about 15 seconds. Maybe a setting either in the pj or the source box or processor?

Second question is about 3D. I know it's basically dead but my kids want to see it and the specs claim it supports 3D but the setting is missing from the menu system even though it's still listed in the manual. Did Sony delete this function?

Thanks!
Taking that long to switch is down to all the renegotiation of the display specs every time that happens and the more kit you have in the chain the more problematic it can be.

As for 3D it only appears when 3D is received as far as I recall. You will need some RF glasses as well. Sony TDG-BT500A or third party ones should work fine. IR ones will not work unfortunately.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Position seems to work for me using Position 1.85:1 for "Squeeze" and Position Custom 1 for "V. Stretch". Thanks for prodding me to try again!

(I was trying to make Position 2.35:1 store the V.Stretch setting, which it just wouldn't do)

EDIT: The position settings changing aspect seems to not have survived a power cycle, as 1.85:1 no longer goes to SQUEEZE for me.

·
Registered
91 Posts

Thanks!
3d option disapears when 4k Signal is received. If you send HD signal to projector you Will be able to choose 3d SBS and tb formats.

Cheers

Enviado desde mi Mi A1 mediante Tapatalk

·
Registered
184 Posts
And it works! Harmony has added "Wide Mode-Squeeze" for me using the code I created. I suggested they also add it to the VPL-VW295ES as well.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Has anyone measured the light output of this projector? I didn’t check in the beginning but after about 140 hours, the most I can get in any mode is about 1470 lumens in reference mode with max brightness, D93 color temp, high lamp with the projector closest to the screen. Reference mode with default settings gets me about 1370 lumens. I was just wondering if that’s normal or if something is not right with my projector or lamp.

Thanks

·
Registered
11 Posts
Has anyone measured the light output of this projector? I didn’t check in the beginning but after about 140 hours, the most I can get in any mode is about 1470 lumens in reference mode with max brightness, D93 color temp, high lamp with the projector closest to the screen. Reference mode with default settings gets me about 1370 lumens. I was just wondering if that’s normal or if something is not right with my projector or lamp.

Thanks
So I did more measurements in each mode and here are the results.

Attachments

·
Registered
184 Posts
Just in case there are any Harmony users here, yesterday I was able to also get Aspect 1.85 Zoom and Aspect 2.35 Zoom converted + added to the VPL-VW695ES device as well!

·
Registered
357 Posts
Help: Sony VPL-VW695ES image has shadows or bands

I have a new Sony VPLVW695ES projector, a low serial number unit I got in October 2018. I just recently noticed the image has strange "bands" that go across the full width of the image. There are 4 evenly spaced bands, about an inch or so wide (in my case), which look a little like shadows or internal reflections, not something that is part of the image itself. Has anyone ever encountered an issue like this with any Sony projector?

In the first picture, I added arrows where the bands appear. They are very faint and difficult to see except on a bright background. The second band is so faint that it does not appear in the photo, but you can just barely make it out in real life. I altered the photo (gamma) to make the bands stand out, the hotspot in the middle of the screen is not visible normally.

The second picture is a close up of one of the bands or shadows (photo is cropped only, no other manipulation).

Please ignore any speckles, hot spots, and blotchy colors, these are not visible in real life. The pictures are pretty large in case someone wants to pixel-peep, but the bands are actually easier to see if you zoom OUT.

Obviously I'm gonna have to have a serious chat with the retailer about this, but until then I'm just wondering if anyone has seen this before or knows what is going on. The projector has less than 100 hours on it (lamp always in High).

Attachments

·
Registered
30,979 Posts
I have a new Sony VPLVW695ES projector, a low serial number unit I got in October 2018. I just recently noticed the image has strange "bands" that go across the full width of the image. There are 4 evenly spaced bands, about an inch or so wide (in my case), which look a little like shadows or internal reflections, not something that is part of the image itself. Has anyone ever encountered an issue like this with any Sony projector?

In the first picture, I added arrows where the bands appear. They are very faint and difficult to see except on a bright background. The second band is so faint that it does not appear in the photo, but you can just barely make it out in real life. I altered the photo (gamma) to make the bands stand out, the hotspot in the middle of the screen is not visible normally.

The second picture is a close up of one of the bands or shadows (photo is cropped only, no other manipulation).

Please ignore any speckles, hot spots, and blotchy colors, these are not visible in real life. The pictures are pretty large in case someone wants to pixel-peep, but the bands are actually easier to see if you zoom OUT.

Obviously I'm gonna have to have a serious chat with the retailer about this, but until then I'm just wondering if anyone has seen this before or knows what is going on. The projector has less than 100 hours on it (lamp always in High).
When you place a white sheet of paper where one of the bands is located, do you see the band on the paper?

·
Registered
7,784 Posts

Never seen anything like that myself.

Does it show up in content? That will be a big determining factor as to possible replacement.

If it wasn't there before, then it will likely only get worse.

I would go for a replacement myself, but the quality control lottery will then be in play again.

Good luck with getting it sorted. :)

·
Premium Member
6,584 Posts

Is that a tag tensioned electric screen? Looks more like marks on the screen fabric done by the screen tube roller where the screen roll on. I had a similar issue with an old Da-Lite pulldown screen.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Looks like marking / streaking derived from the motor driven screen. With cheaper (low quality) products these are visible by time. Like Mike Garret suggested place a piece of paper on the screen; if the markings are not visible on the paper anymore then it is most likely not the projector but the screen.

341 - 360 of 965 Posts