AVS Forum banner

841 - 860 of 897 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Hey 695/570es owners. Im having a really hard time getting perfect focus on my 570es. I have a 50es 1080 as well and with its manual lens have no problems nailing the focus. However with the motorised lens im finding getting perfect focus extremely frustrating because the "focus" image... its like a 1080 or even 720p image! Is there a trick im missing?

I have to setup the projector every time I use it hence the need to refocus.

·
Premium Member
1,969 Posts
Hey 695/570es owners. Im having a really hard time getting perfect focus on my 570es. I have a 50es 1080 as well and with its manual lens have no problems nailing the focus. However with the motorised lens im finding getting perfect focus extremely frustrating because the "focus" image... its like a 1080 or even 720p image! Is there a trick im missing?

Thats the issue I find with these pj's. The lines against which you focus are not clear to begin with. Very hard to get a sharp alignment.

·
Registered
309 Posts
It's a pain to do this all the time, but maybe get the Spears & Munsil UHD HDR Benchmark disc. There's a 4K image you can use for focus and framing.

·
Registered
5,584 Posts

Firstly, let the projector warm up for about an hour before adjusting the focus. Then you need to keep going back and forth on the control until you get it spot on.
I do it until I can see the pixels clearly and that should be it.
I agree that the inbuilt pattern is not the best so use a pattern from a test disc to focus as it can be much easier that way. :)

Bear in mind that once you have set the focus etc with the projector warmed up, next time you start it up from cold it may take a little time for the focus to fully come in. Try to avoid redoing it if it is not warmed up properly.

Reactions: 3DMamper

·
Registered
24 Posts
Ok folks I am looking some advice. I purchased a Sony VPL-VW570ES it is the UK version same as your VW695ES when setting the picture screen up I noticed the dip in the outline of the screen pattern setup is this normal. I kind of lifted the lens inside of the housing and the droop disappeared but just wondering what is causing the sag on the right had side of this pattern setup screen anyone any ideas, would it be the lens iris optics or the lens itself meaning the housing and is this fault prevalent in this sony projector. Looking some help before I return this projector. By the way the pattern is totally level all the way across until it gets to the extreme right hand side so it is not as if the projector need to be levelled as if I levelled it that same droop would always be there no matter what angle you would have the projector sitting at.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I have this issue with mine as i set it up every time i use it. I find when this happens its cos the projector is not perfectly square on with the screen.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I doubt very much it is anything to do with the projector nto being square on the screen as Sony replied and said that should not be happening anyway I have returned the projector for a refund as I would never be happy with the projector calibration line drooping on one side like that as to my mind it should be level straight across if it were as you say then why is the other side not drooping as you say the projector is not perfectly square. It is perfectly square as I have a projector mount that can tilt by mm adjustment get it perfectly square according to my spirit level as the projector is sitting as square as you would like it to be and still the one side droops off. I could never be happy with that droop.

·
Registered
5,584 Posts
I doubt very much it is anything to do with the projector nto being square on the screen as Sony replied and said that should not be happening anyway I have returned the projector for a refund as I would never be happy with the projector calibration line drooping on one side like that as to my mind it should be level straight across if it were as you say then why is the other side not drooping as you say the projector is not perfectly square. It is perfectly square as I have a projector mount that can tilt by mm adjustment get it perfectly square according to my spirit level as the projector is sitting as square as you would like it to be and still the one side droops off. I could never be happy with that droop.
Looking at that picture, your projector was 100% not square to the screen on all three axis.
You may be surprised how un-square and un-plumb floors and walls actually are.
Even if you get the projector 100% square the screen may not be/probably isn't.

Still non issue now I guess. ;):)

Reactions: 3DMamper

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have had three projectors on this ceiling mount I had an Epson 5010, which I sold then I purchased the Optoma UHZ65LV I did not like it so it went back there was a problem with the 3D it simnply did not work took two months to get a refund as they checked it out and agreed the 3D was not working as it should those projectors when I would throw the set up screen the set up screens would be perfect alignment both the screen and the projector mount are both square regardless of what you say it is the Sony projector that is at fault that set up screen I am showing has not been 100% aligned I’m not talking about the vertical alignment I am talking about the horizontal top green line where the right hand part of the green line is dropping down the nearer it gets to the right hand side it would not matter what orientation you would have the set up screen set to that green horizontal green line would always drop down because of the top green line which is dropping on the right hand side, is something to do with the lens magnification Sony have replied they stated that the setup screen looks like there is a fault with the lens so I would have to return it for fixing but anyhow it is going back to the seller and is already winging its way in the post.

When I get another projector, I will note your user name Archibald and will reply back with the new projector and I will show you the set-up screen without a dip in the green line on the right-hand side. I think for you to come here and state what you have stated without seeing it first hand and giving your opinion is rather ignorant of you to tell me my projector mount and projection screen are not straight when I have used laser calibration self-levelling tool to fix the mounting brackets to the wall and that ceiling mount can be manipulated with mm precision to make it totally level on the ceiling even if the walls and ceiling are off whack I have the screen and projector mount set up totally straight alignment and have never seen this set up screen where the top horizontal green line starts dropping down if you observe properly the Sony representative noted the very middle part of the top of the green line where the vertical meets the horizontal green line there is a wave like a kink the Sony technician noted that and is very subtle you would almost miss it and that’s why he stated it was a lens issue sure enough when I looked back at it myself you can definitely see the kink in the horizontal green line from the middle to the right hand side.

You are looking at the claibration screen and becuase the right had side and the left hand side are not perfectly aligned you state the obvious there is no poinmt in me taking the time to get it prefect when I noticed immediately there was a drop in the horizontal green line especially on the right hand side so I set the screen up roughly and created a return becuase I have never had a projector do that on me ever before and I have owned quite a few projectors until now never seen that drop in the horizontal geen line.

Anyway we could argue all day who is right and wrong I know one thing it is not my problem any more. :unsure:

·
Registered
5,584 Posts
@Lowsub
I appreciate you taking the time to write the long reply.
I will await your new projector pictures with interest. What will you be getting?
I should have maybe added that I agree that the image showed a fault but I was focussing on the fact it wasn't square irrespective of the wavy line.:)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Yes indeed I am glad you can see the fault too definitely is a fault to my mind anyway to what projector I don’t know I am looking at the JVC N5 which has the same 1800 Lumens or go with another Sony 570es only this time there is a guy selling one from Germany one month’s warranty and 550 hrs on the lamp 4.7K used or ONO. I don’t want to be paying 7K when these 570ES projectors are selling between 5.4K new and 4.7K used and are discontinued, 5K for a new one but the guy is looking cash in hand no delivery that just stinks to high heaven, no thank you.

I know the JVC dla N5 & N7 have the dreaded iris problem how bad it will be is anyone guess and is a lottery or so I am reading as they all have this fault seemingly; the Sony looks to be a better option.

Anyway, I will have to wait to receive my refund for this returned Sony 570ES before I can buy my next projector.

Funny I had the Epson 5010 and it never gave me one buttons worth of bother over the 13 years I owned it maybe that is telling me something just to go with the Epson 9400 but then I will be losing a lot compared to the two above native 4K projectors. That JVC N5 weighs a hefty weight at 19KG and ceiling mounting that will be a big problem indeed getting it up to the mounting bracket which is the B-Tech BT893 Heavy Duty Projector Ceiling Mount with Micro-Adjustment. It will take the weight no problem but I won’t be able to lift it up there on my own or it will be one expensive smack to the floor god forbid.

So I will have to make my mind up. Having no warranty worries me when buying used or coming to the end of the warranty period as if anything goes wrong then you are on your own. Decisions, decisions.

·
Registered
29,706 Posts
Yes indeed I am glad you can see the fault too definitely is a fault to my mind anyway to what projector I don’t know I am looking at the JVC N5 which has the same 1800 Lumens or go with another Sony 570es only this time there is a guy selling one from Germany one month’s warranty and 550 hrs on the lamp 4.7K used or ONO. I don’t want to be paying 7K when these 570ES projectors are selling between 5.4K new and 4.7K used and are discontinued, 5K for a new one but the guy is looking cash in hand no delivery that just stinks to high heaven, no thank you.

I know the JVC dla N5 & N7 have the dreaded iris problem how bad it will be is anyone guess and is a lottery or so I am reading as they all have this fault seemingly; the Sony looks to be a better option.

Anyway, I will have to wait to receive my refund for this returned Sony 570ES before I can buy my next projector.

Funny I had the Epson 5010 and it never gave me one buttons worth of bother over the 13 years I owned it maybe that is telling me something just to go with the Epson 9400 but then I will be losing a lot compared to the two above native 4K projectors. That JVC N5 weighs a hefty weight at 19KG and ceiling mounting that will be a big problem indeed getting it up to the mounting bracket which is the B-Tech BT893 Heavy Duty Projector Ceiling Mount with Micro-Adjustment. It will take the weight no problem but I won’t be able to lift it up there on my own or it will be one expensive smack to the floor god forbid.

So I will have to make my mind up. Having no warranty worries me when buying used or coming to the end of the warranty period as if anything goes wrong then you are on your own. Decisions, decisions.
You need to go see one of the JVC's. The iris issue has been blown into a lot larger issue than it is. You could always turn the dynamic iris off on the JVC and still have higher contrast than the Sony.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Ok folks I have pulled the trigger on the N5 got a fantastic bargain $6048.00 might not sound a bargain to our USA friends but believe me here in the UK that is a very good price as it is selling for over $8276 in the UK with HMRC tickling the VAT and import duty applied to everything the old trusty treasuary take their chink of cash horrible. You folks in the USA have it good for electronics pricing. Though a family originally from Philadelphia live next door to me emigrated here over 13 years ago and they say the price of food, healthcare, is more expensive in the USA anyway horses for courses.

·
Registered
5,584 Posts
You need to go see one of the JVC's. The iris issue has been blown into a lot larger issue than it is. You could always turn the dynamic iris off on the JVC and still have higher contrast than the Sony.
LOL, no offence, but if anyone was going to pop up in a Sony thread and say that, it was going to be you. ;)

Reactions: MDesigns

·
Registered
5,584 Posts
You folks in the USA have it good for electronics pricing.
You have seen what our US cousins pay for Sony's right? We are the ones sitting pretty there for a change. :D

·
Registered
203 Posts
New 570es owner. I did not find any user reviews with my exact experience so I thought I'll give mine. I'm a huge 4k gamer and 3D fan. Having owned 10 different 3D displays and VR headsets.

Originally projected onto a white luxburg pop-up screen. 570 vastly better than my 6yr old 50es. But watching in my light coloured walls room. The nagging thought that the contrast and black level was not got enough, I splashed out on a react3 screen. Before doing so I projected onto the back black surface of the white screen and it was an omg moment... oled blacks and the whites were still decent.

React3. Though not quite oled blacks, I would describe the image to that of a top of the range Panasonic plasma TV would look like. both in terms of black level, contrast and brightness. But in glorious 4k and much much sharper, probably even brighter as I remember my plasmas lacking brightness. Before the react screen I disregarded the 3D on the 570... disappointing. With the react, the combination of lower black levels, increased contrast... wow this is the best 3D display I own. The 3D layering so to perfectly defined... it's like watching all the movies again. Also possibly the react screen lowers the brightness in such a way that it reduces xtalk, it's still there but very minimal. If like me you know that not all 3D displays produce the 3D effect equally.... then this is the projector for you. And I have an oled 3Dtv and imo the 3D effect on this is just better. I would urge other owners to try 3D on the react screen and see if it improves for you. Logic would have it the further reduced brightness would disappoint. But not for me.

For 4K gaming its simply amazing. Not quite oled... but close enough but with far better immersion. Super low lag. 21-27ms.

For me the wakeup call was the react3 screen. I just cant help think how this would look in a bat cave on a white screen without any lose of brightness.

now that the new models are out theres a good chance of pick up 570/695es almost new for just over 4k.

One last comment on react screen. I cant help wondering how good it would look even in a bat cave.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I've had many projectors and not one of them have been as fussy as this one. Needs to be properly square to the screen. Bit once I worked that out i can get the screen looking perfect in less than a min. How fussy it is surprised me, I guess it's just the way the lens is designed as you can see the front lens is rippled... almost like what you seeing on the screen. Other lens have always been one convex "curve"... not a ripple.

841 - 860 of 897 Posts