AVS Forum banner

861 - 880 of 897 Posts

·
Registered
5,584 Posts
I've had many projectors and not one of them have been as fussy as this one. Needs to be properly square to the screen. Bit once I worked that out i can get the screen looking perfect in less than a min. How fussy it is surprised me, I guess it's just the way the lens is designed as you can see the front lens is rippled... almost like what you seeing on the screen. Other lens have always been one convex "curve"... not a ripple.
The lens is not rippled, it is aspherical.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Apparently (by accounts in various reviews and in this thread), minimum input lag for the VPL-VW695ES in 4k is 27ms. Apparently also, this number came from Sony.

Does anyone have any context on this number? Sony doesn't seem to list it among their specifications, so where did it come from? Are there any details about how was it measured? e.g. does it refer to minimum lag or average lag for all parts of the screen? Based on what I know of mfr behaviors, I would guess any number they release would refer to the time to start updating the very first pixel, not the average. Either way, I don't doubt the accuracy, I just need to know how to interpret it.
I've got an LG Oled. This TV by feel seems even faster than the oled. I'm a fussy gamer and this projector is perfect for FPS games. just played MW and it's perfect. In 3D Gaming mode it's also acceptable. Deffo slower but acceptable.

·
Registered
42 Posts
That is great that your 3D got such an improvement from the screen. I’ll let you know how the 3D looks on my upgraded Stewart Screen 130 G4 when it is installed.

As an FYI - I was disappointed to see the new Sony projectors 715ES and 915ES no longer include 3D!

·
Registered
42 Posts
I've had many projectors and not one of them have been as fussy as this one. Needs to be properly square to the screen. Bit once I worked that out i can get the screen looking perfect in less than a min. How fussy it is surprised me, I guess it's just the way the lens is designed as you can see the front lens is rippled... almost like what you seeing on the screen. Other lens have always been one convex "curve"... not a ripple.
New 570es owner. I did not find any user reviews with my exact experience so I thought I'll give mine. I'm a huge 4k gamer and 3D fan. Having owned 10 different 3D displays and VR headsets.

Originally projected onto a white luxburg pop-up screen. 570 vastly better than my 6yr old 50es. But watching in my light coloured walls room. The nagging thought that the contrast and black level was not got enough, I splashed out on a react3 screen. Before doing so I projected onto the back black surface of the white screen and it was an omg moment... oled blacks and the whites were still decent.

React3. Though not quite oled blacks, I would describe the image to that of a top of the range Panasonic plasma TV would look like. both in terms of black level, contrast and brightness. But in glorious 4k and much much sharper, probably even brighter as I remember my plasmas lacking brightness. Before the react screen I disregarded the 3D on the 570... disappointing. With the react, the combination of lower black levels, increased contrast... wow this is the best 3D display I own. The 3D layering so to perfectly defined... it's like watching all the movies again. Also possibly the react screen lowers the brightness in such a way that it reduces xtalk, it's still there but very minimal. If like me you know that not all 3D displays produce the 3D effect equally.... then this is the projector for you. And I have an oled 3Dtv and imo the 3D effect on this is just better. I would urge other owners to try 3D on the react screen and see if it improves for you. Logic would have it the further reduced brightness would disappoint. But not for me.

For 4K gaming its simply amazing. Not quite oled... but close enough but with far better immersion. Super low lag. 21-27ms.

For me the wakeup call was the react3 screen. I just cant help think how this would look in a bat cave on a white screen without any lose of brightness.

now that the new models are out theres a good chance of pick up 570/695es almost new for just over 4k.

One last comment on react screen. I cant help wondering how good it would look even in a bat cave.
That is great that your 3D got such an improvement from the screen. I’ll let you know how the 3D looks on my upgraded Stewart Screen 130 G4 when it is installed.

As an FYI - I was disappointed to see the new Sony projectors 715ES and 915ES no longer include 3D!

·
Registered
203 Posts

Plz let us know what to does to your 3D viewing! Do you mean all songs projectors as of this year no longer support 3D? OMG. I have no reason to ever upgrade again if thus is the case!

·
Registered
70 Posts

New Sony projectors are 3D. Where are you read that?

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

·
Registered
42 Posts
I contacted Sony and here was the email of the interaction:

Jim
Sep 10, 2020, 2:25 PM EDT
Chat started: 2020-09-10 05:58 PM UTC
(05:58:20 PM) Audio Advice: Thanks for visiting Audio Advice! Please let me know if you have any questions.
(06:14:27 PM) Visitor 20544417: Does the Sony projector VW 715ES or VW 915ES playback in 3D like previous generations?
(06:14:36 PM) * Max joined the chat *
(06:15:07 PM) Visitor 20544417 is now known as Jim .
(06:16:00 PM) Max: Hi, no I don't believe it does 3D anymore
(06:17:22 PM) Jim : I have a pretty decent collection of 3D and was considering these models to upgrade. So that is certain that it does not include 3D?
(06:19:43 PM) Jim : If you could confirm that it does not include 3D for those models I would appreciate it. I may go with the 695 model in that case
(06:20:04 PM) Max: According to Sonys full specification list is doesnt show anywhere that id supports 3D now
(06:20:20 PM) Max: https://www.sony.com/electronics/projector/vpl-vw715es/specifications
(06:21:34 PM) Max: Its not too surprising to me that the 3D feature would be taken out
(06:21:55 PM) Max: It generally increased the cost of the projector and wasn't a widely used feature

·
Registered
70 Posts
Spain Sony (europe), information:

They are 3D compatible.

And this shop selling them as 3D compatible

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

·
Registered
203 Posts
Just did so reading and I think you are right. This is horrific new and once the news spreads... the values of 3D generation will be worth more I guess.

This is very sad news. I was hoping of having an 8k projector in the future that would still do 3D. Sad day. but at least i have a 3D projector now.

Thanks for the heads up.

·
Registered
5,584 Posts
I contacted Sony and here was the email of the interaction:

Jim
Sep 10, 2020, 2:25 PM EDT
Chat started: 2020-09-10 05:58 PM UTC
(05:58:20 PM) Audio Advice: Thanks for visiting Audio Advice! Please let me know if you have any questions.
(06:14:27 PM) Visitor 20544417: Does the Sony projector VW 715ES or VW 915ES playback in 3D like previous generations?
(06:14:36 PM) * Max joined the chat *
(06:15:07 PM) Visitor 20544417 is now known as Jim .
(06:16:00 PM) Max: Hi, no I don't believe it does 3D anymore
(06:17:22 PM) Jim : I have a pretty decent collection of 3D and was considering these models to upgrade. So that is certain that it does not include 3D?
(06:19:43 PM) Jim : If you could confirm that it does not include 3D for those models I would appreciate it. I may go with the 695 model in that case
(06:20:04 PM) Max: According to Sonys full specification list is doesnt show anywhere that id supports 3D now
(06:20:20 PM) Max: https://www.sony.com/electronics/projector/vpl-vw715es/specifications
(06:21:34 PM) Max: Its not too surprising to me that the 3D feature would be taken out
(06:21:55 PM) Max: It generally increased the cost of the projector and wasn't a widely used feature
Someone at Sony, who has no idea what he is talking about? No way....

These new projectors are 100% 3D capable.

Scroll down the spec sheet until you get to the bit about 3D. :)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Well, unfortunately the Sony US website doesn't show anything listing 3D. Apparently, Spain/Europe's Sony website (Ganimedessp's link above) shows 3D on their new Sony projectors. The tech from Sony US used the United States website and reiterated no 3D. Maybe Europe uses more 3D than the US? Seems like a mistake on Sony's part to omit 3D in the U.S. for the new Sony projectors. The new JVC projectors all have kept 3D. Maybe a dealer or someone from Sony can solidify this for us?

·
Registered
5,584 Posts
Well, unfortunately the Sony US website doesn't show anything listing 3D. Apparently, Spain/Europe's Sony website (Ganimedessp's link above) shows 3D on their new Sony projectors. The tech from Sony US used the United States website and reiterated no 3D. Maybe Europe uses more 3D than the US? Seems like a mistake on Sony's part to omit 3D in the U.S. for the new Sony projectors. The new JVC projectors all have kept 3D. Maybe a dealer or someone from Sony can solidify this for us?
The 915ES manual states 3D operability on page 43. :cool:

Reactions: Beamis

·
Registered
42 Posts
Ok cool. ArchibaId1, I see you have a British flag by your name. Is that manual for the US version as well? I'm just making sure since the Sony tech messed me up and told me no. Thanks!

·
Registered
5,584 Posts
Reactions: Beamis

·
Premium Member
1,969 Posts
May-be the rep. was mixing up companies because the new JVC's don't have ready to go 3D

861 - 880 of 897 Posts