AVS Forum banner

881 - 900 of 908 Posts

·
Registered
4,429 Posts
Thats a great add, but can't believe the older models look as presented. The 570 images look washed out as if there is a filter on the lens.
From all reports there is a significant difference in HDR of the new models vs the previous generation. That was an HDR comparison!

Keep in mind that some reviews have suggested that the new models may "overcook" HDR to give even more pop, to match the pop on flat panels!

·
Registered
5,779 Posts
Thats a great add, but can't believe the older models look as presented. The 570 images look washed out as if there is a filter on the lens.
Indeed, there is no baseline frame of reference between the two units.
In fact my old 550ES looked more like the 590 in that video.
Just turn the colours up on the 570 and bam. The same.

·
Registered
5,779 Posts
From all reports there is a significant difference in HDR of the new models vs the previous generation. That was an HDR comparison!

Keep in mind that some reviews have suggested that the new models may "overcook" HDR to give even more pop, to match the pop on flat panels!
That is the key word. A difference isn't always an improvement.
They had to do something to try to demarcate the new ones form the current ones, and if it is an over pop of colours etc in HDR, then it would have the desired effect.
The only thing going for these new machines is they are significantly cheaper.
That is a win, for sure! But, one that wouldn't have happened with truly new hardware.

·
Registered
4,429 Posts
That is the key word. A difference isn't always an improvement.
They had to do something to try to demarcate the new ones form the current ones, and if it is an over pop of colours etc in HDR, then it would have the desired effect.
The only thing going for these new machines is they are significantly cheaper.
That is a win, for sure! But, one that wouldn't have happened with truly new hardware.
I am reporting what folks who have actually seen the machines have said. Almost every reviewer who have seen the new machines have said that the HDR image is clearly better than the previous generation. Many have said that the perceived contrast and sharpness is also much improved. Now those are subjective opinions and need to be individually confirmed.

Given that you have not actually seen any of the new models, I am struggling to get your point? You seem angry that Sony has delivered new products? Tech moves on, it does not meen that your projector is not great!

·
Registered
5,779 Posts
Given that you have not actually seen any of the new models, I am struggling to get your point? You seem angry that Sony has delivered new products? Tech moves on, it does not meen that your projector is not great!
No, I haven't but I have spoken to some that have and they say there is no real difference.
Have any of these 'reviews' had identically adjusted old and new models side by side? Not many if any I would say.
Are most of the 'reviews' published thus far by those selling said items? Probably.
I am not angry, but I object to things being called new when they patently aren't and people buy into it.
Their own choice of course.
I would be ecstatic if tech had moved on, but it really really hasn't unless you want to pay upwards of 80grand.
Check out the eye candy thread for just how great my 760 is! :D:cool:

Reactions: Luminated67

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
I have no axe to grind here I would love to see an independent review of both old and new to see just what's different. I am sure there are differences but it will ultimately take someone to do an in depth comparison to see what they are.

P.S. @Archibald1 images are to die for............ REALLY. :love:

Reactions: Archibald1

·
Registered
5,779 Posts
I have no axe to grind here I would love to see an independent review of both old and new to see just what's different. I am sure there are differences but it will ultimately take someone to do an in depth comparison to see what they are.

P.S. @Archibald1 images are to die for............ REALLY. :love:
Thanks man! You know it! :D

I have no axe to grind either but people need to realise the relative size of the projector market means that department does not get anything like the resources of the TV and smartphone sides.
They have a HUGE incentive to make things appear new with minimal investment required.
This year especially, it is weird how these 'new improved' models appeared during a pandemic when very few others have come to light.
None of it adds up to me that is all I am saying and I face palm every time I read anyone say 'so what is better about these X1 for projector chips' and 'Oooo Dynamic HDR Enhancer' that must make such a difference. They have tweaked the algorithm and changed the name. That is all. They could retroactively apply it to old models if it suited their needs.
The marketing almost overrides all common sense and any critical thinking.
Peoples seemingly innate requirement for 'new shiny', and willingness to accept what they are told by marketing and hearsay or vendor sponsored 'reviews' in pursuit of that, never ceases to amaze me.
All the new badges applied to the latest projectors can be applied to the old ones.

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
^The only reason why they might have released now is that everyone has been claiming they are pulling out of the projector business and releasing new models would convince that they aren't.

·
Registered
5,779 Posts
^The only reason why they might have released now is that everyone has been claiming they are pulling out of the projector business and releasing new models would convince that they aren't.
Not the only reason I would say, but it is undoubtedly one of them.

·
Vendor
27,936 Posts
Maybe but the virtual CEDIA show just happened, so this is the normal time in the projector market to release info about upcoming product line.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Hi,

I am looking for a way to issue a TCP command late at night to ensure the projector is turned off. My family likes to play with the remote, and this would be a fool proof way to make sure it's off. Is there a TCP/ethernet command set for these projectors?

·
Registered
5,779 Posts
Difference between the 570 and 590 looks good. Greta to see projectors getting better at HDR.
You cannot use that video to judge that I am afraid.

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
Here's the settings I have settled on for now after a recent calibration by Chad B:

Panasonic 820 settings when watching 4k discs:
Optimizer On, Slider at 2 (though this can vary from movie to movie, I generally keep it between 0 and +2 to start with, and go up to +4 if needed, rarely going past +5)
White Gamma: 0
Black Gamma: 0
Edge Correction: 1

Sony 695ES settings when watching 4k movies (the UB820 and Nvidia Shield both use the same Cinema Film 2 preset, but the UB820 is passing SDR 2020 so that it can control tone mapping with optimizer settings above, while the Shield is set to HDR 2020 and the projector handles tone mapping). Also, note that Cinema Film 2 has been calibrated to a 2.4 gamma, which is needed for proper tone mapping since the Panasonic expects a 2.4 gamma.

Calib. Preset: Cinema Film 2
Contrast: Max
Brightness: 50
Color Temp: D65*
Reality Creation: On, Resolution 45, Noise Filter 0
Contrast Enhancer: Off (or Low)
Lamp Control: High
Gamma Correction: 2.4
Smooth Gradation: Low
Color: 55
Sharpness: 50
Hue: 49
NR: Off
Motion Flow: True Cinema
Input Lag Reduction: Off
Advanced Iris: Dynamic Control: Full, Brightness 91
Clear White: Off
x.v. color: Off
Color Correction: Off
HDR: Auto
Color Space: BT2020

*If D65 is not bright enough, I have also setup a Custom3 setting, which is basically D65 with the RGB Gain turned up from 128 to 152. May or may not need this in your setup to get decent HDR effects. Instructions at bottom if you need them.

Here's the settings I use for 1080P movies (both for the UB820 and the Nvidia Shield):

Calib. Preset: Cinema Film 1
Contrast: 99
Brightness: 50
Color Temp: D75
Color: 50
Reality Creation: On, Resolution: 30, Noise Filtering: 0
Contrast Enhancer: Off
Lamp Control: Low
Gamma Correction: 2.2
Smooth Gradation: Low
Advanced Iris: Dynamic Control: Full, Brightness 96
Motion Flow: True Cinema
Color Space: BT.709

Here's my 3D settings:

Panasonic 820 settings when watching 3D movies:

Display: Projector
Picture Type: Normal
Tone Curve (White): 0
Tone Curve (Black) 0
Edge Correction: 1
3D signal format: Normal
3D popout level: 0

Sony 695ES settings when watching 3D Movies:

Calib. Preset(3D): Cinema Film 1
Contrast: 99
Brightness: 40
Color Temp: D93
Reality Creation: On, Resolution 25, Noise Filter 0
Contrast Enhancer: Low
Lamp Control: High
Gamma Correction: Off
Color: 51
Hue: 50
Motion Flow: Smooth High
Color Space: BT.709

Here's how to turn up RGB Gain to get a bit more brightness when watching HDR content:

Enter into Service Menu by pressing "Enter, Enter, Left, Enter" on the remote control
On the left hand side of the menu, where the icons are, go all the way to the bottom and select "Device"
Under "W/B", select Custom3 (which is based off of D65)
Adjust R, G and B values up from 128 to 152 for each and click Enter until you go back to the main area, then save changes
Now you can select Custom3 and you will have more brightness/pop when watching HDR content (in addition to setting lamp mode to High)

Edit: I have tried the dynamic iris at 75, 96 and 91, and settled on 91 for now. Keeping the dynamic slider low (between 0 and 2) is the only thing that really keeps the contrast set properly for me, and setting the iris to 91 seems to be the best blend in terms of keeping black levels good while also providing a bit of brightness in darker scenes. This was the best combination I could find after testing several more HDR movies.

Edit: Finally got around to testing out some 3D movies, so added those settings as well.
Recently changed my settings a bit when watching 4k movies using my Panasonic 820 and my Sony 695ES, and the settings really have improved the enjoyment of watching a movie for me, so thought I'd share.

With lamp on high and all other settings as noted in previous post. First, I set the color temp to Custom3 (see previous post about how to turn up RGB gain setting under custom3). Then I set the contrast enhancer to Low. Then, with the movie playing I go into settings on the 820 and set black gamma to -2, and then turn the dynamic slider way up, anywhere from +7 to +12, depending on the movie. This seems to give me really excellent blacks and shadow details, colors that pop, excellent contrast and just very pleasing overall picture quality. This is on a bulb with about 1,800 hours and a Stewart Cima screen.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hi. I have a VW570ES. I need to replace my fans. What I have been able to figure out is that it has 2 of the aub0912hj-00 delta fans. But I have a couple of questions.
1. Are there only 2 fans in the machine?
2. Does anyone have a link/info on the detailed specs? I do not want new delta fans but better ones (like noctuas). But can not find the detailed specs of the current delta fans thus do not find what to replace it with.
Any help appreciated.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Trying to keep up with the excitement on the JVC side- does anyone think there's any chance the 2018 Sony projectors get any form of DTM to compete, or do you think they'll only focus on the 715+?

In this case- I'd really like to not drop a few grand on an external dynamic tone mapping device but it seems like that might be the only way to do it. Thoughts?

881 - 900 of 908 Posts