AVS Forum banner

901 - 920 of 943 Posts

·
Registered
570 Posts
Trying to keep up with the excitement on the JVC side- does anyone think there's any chance the 2018 Sony projectors get any form of DTM to compete, or do you think they'll only focus on the 715+?

In this case- I'd really like to not drop a few grand on an external dynamic tone mapping device but it seems like that might be the only way to do it. Thoughts?
I have the Sony 695. In the 20 years that I have owned several Sony projectors I have never seen Sony add a feature via a firmware update. Sony will correct problems with firmware updates but never add features like DTM. With that said, I would love for Sony to prove me wrong, but I am not holding my breath.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Trying to keep up with the excitement on the JVC side- does anyone think there's any chance the 2018 Sony projectors get any form of DTM to compete, or do you think they'll only focus on the 715+?

In this case- I'd really like to not drop a few grand on an external dynamic tone mapping device but it seems like that might be the only way to do it. Thoughts?
Well, as @TomWheeler said, and Sony's release of the 715 confirms, they aren't going to do anything more with 695. Us 695 owners are SOL. But you don't need to spend big $$$ for a Lumagen or Envy if you are happy with something that will get you close. You can get a Panasonic UB9000 and use the Panny's built-in DTM function. It's not really comparable to a Lumagen or Envy, but it won't cost you a ton and if you get a professional calibration along with it, I'm sure you will be quite happy with what the 695 can do. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
6,337 Posts
I have the Sony 695. In the 20 years that I have owned several Sony projectors I have never seen Sony add a feature via a firmware update. Sony will correct problems with firmware updates but never add features like DTM. With that said, I would love for Sony to prove me wrong, but I am not holding my breath.
Well, you are in for a shock then. ;)
In around 2016 Sony added a big firmware update to the 520/665ES, adding lots of features to make it essentially the same as they 'new' 550/675ES.
Also, just last year Sony gave 760/885ES a nice update that added auto SDR/HDR switching, DFO and iris functionality in the dual contrast system.
They also have done several minor 'fix' updates as you said.
As to DTM, well their implementation is not the traditional one and as such it is just the same as the dynamic contrast enhancer that has been there for years. Possibly tweaked a bit.

Well, as @TomWheeler said, and Sony's release of the 715 confirms, they aren't going to do anything more with 695. Us 695 owners are SOL. But you don't need to spend big $$$ for a Lumagen or Envy if you are happy with something that will get you close. You can get a Panasonic UB9000 and use the Panny's built-in DTM function. It's not really comparable to a Lumagen or Envy, but it won't cost you a ton and if you get a professional calibration along with it, I'm sure you will be quite happy with what the 695 can do. Just my 2 cents.
The Panny is a great option as is a Vertex2 or suchlike if you want to watch Dolby Vision content on your projector.
I would like Sony to give us current owners who paid more for our devices (and as they sold by the bucket load they gave them the leeway to reduce the prices) a bone and give us another update with PQ improvements, but as you say the 'new' model ship has sailed and thus it will be never that we get any more updates. I hope they prove me wrong.

·
Registered
9 Posts
My big thing is that I run a Plex server, so my Blu-Rays mostly just get stashed away in a closet, so while the Panny is great, it's not great for me. The Vertex2 (none of the HD Furys?) doesn't do DTM, right? (This is probably more a post for the video processors subforum but, hey, we're on the topic here...)

·
Registered
336 Posts
My big thing is that I run a Plex server, so my Blu-Rays mostly just get stashed away in a closet, so while the Panny is great, it's not great for me. The Vertex2 (none of the HD Furys?) doesn't do DTM, right? (This is probably more a post for the video processors subforum but, hey, we're on the topic here...)
In that case then, the Panny is pretty much worthless for you. If you are up for building a HTPC, then madVR may work for you, otherwise it sounds like you are looking at spending some serious dosh to go the Lumagen/Envy route.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Well, you are in for a shock then. ;)
In around 2016 Sony added a big firmware update to the 520/665ES, adding lots of features to make it essentially the same as they 'new' 550/675ES.
Also, just last year Sony gave 760/885ES a nice update that added auto SDR/HDR switching, DFO and iris functionality in the dual contrast system.
They also have done several minor 'fix' updates as you said.
As to DTM, well their implementation is not the traditional one and as such it is just the same as the dynamic contrast enhancer that has been there for years. Possibly tweaked a bit.

I presently owe and use both the 665 and 695 Sony projectors. The firmware update that Sony released in 2016 did add HDR and WCG to the 665, but please note that both of those features were advertised by Sony on the 665 when it first went up for sale. The September 2016 firmware release thus finally implemented features that were advertised on the projector at the time of its initial sale. As a 665 owner who purchased early in 2016, I was certainly not happy to have to wait 9 months to get a projector that finally did what it was advertised to do at the time of its initial sale.

Don't misunderstand me. I like Sony projectors, which is why I have bought six of them over the last 20 years. However, I have learned to never expect Sony to implement a feature that is not on the list of features when the projector originally sold. I wish they would, but it just has not happened, at least for any of the Sony projectors I have purchased.

·
Registered
6,337 Posts
@TomWheeler It happened last year in the 885/760 where they added HDR/SDR auto switching, DFO and iris functionality that were not originally advertised.

Reactions: HoustonHoyaFan

·
Vendor
28,713 Posts

I do not think they will be updating old models for DTM, but ya never know.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Folks .. getting my home theater done with a local AV company. They have a demo model of the VPL-VW695ES that has approximately 228 hrs. I had initially planned to get the VPL-VW295ES, but the demo model is being offered for around 23% off the current MSRP .. good deal .. should I take it or just stick with a brand new 295ES?

·
Registered
3,772 Posts
Folks .. getting my home theater done with a local AV company. They have a demo model of the VPL-VW695ES that has approximately 228 hrs. I had initially planned to get the VPL-VW295ES, but the demo model is being offered for around 23% off the current MSRP .. good deal .. should I take it or just stick with a brand new 295ES?
The 695 is a good projector, but if I were you I would consider the JVC NX7 if you can find it for a good price. Now, if they can do half off msrp for the 695, it might be worth considering.

·
Registered
6,337 Posts
My take, if you have the choice between the two and you can spring to the 695, that is definitely the one to get. 228 hrs is just about run in, As long as it has the full 3yr warranty, what's not to like?! :)

·
Registered
336 Posts
If I recall correctly, the 295ES does not have lens memory. If you are installing a 16:9 screen, it doesn't matter, but if you are installing something like a 2.35:1 screen, then jump all over that 695ES. At 23% off, it's only a few bucks more than a new 295.

And you'll get a brighter picture, which will work better with HDR content.
And you'll get a dynamic iris, so contrast should be improved as well.

·
Registered
6,337 Posts
If I recall correctly, the 295ES does not have lens memory. If you are installing a 16:9 screen, it doesn't matter, but if you are installing something like a 2.35:1 screen, then jump all over that 695ES. At 23% off, it's only a few bucks more than a new 295.

And you'll get a brighter picture, which will work better with HDR content.
And you'll get a dynamic iris, so contrast should be improved as well.
What he said. :)
If the price for them both is in the same ball park, the 695 is another level up in performance and is the one to go for.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I think my dynamic iris might be broken / stuck. I can't get it to make any noticeable difference in any setting. If I set dynamic iris to off and move the slider back and forth from min to max, nothing changes. If I set the iris level to any number, say 50, and switch between off / limited / full nothing changes. I can't get it to do anything. I don't hear any clicking. Is there a surefire way to test? Thanks for any suggestions!

·
Registered
336 Posts
I think my dynamic iris might be broken / stuck. I can't get it to make any noticeable difference in any setting. If I set dynamic iris to off and move the slider back and forth from min to max, nothing changes. If I set the iris level to any number, say 50, and switch between off / limited / full nothing changes. I can't get it to do anything. I don't hear any clicking. Is there a surefire way to test? Thanks for any suggestions!
Well, the fact that you don't hear clicking is a good thing. Clicking means something is broken for sure. I leave mine set to full and max, and where I especially notice the iris is in scenes where there is a transition from bright to dark, especially with credits at the end of a movie. With a bright-to-dark transition, I'll see the text (for example) appear bright and then dim slightly as the iris kicks in. I can't think of a specific test for you to try, sorry. There might be a test on the Spears & Munsil disc that can point this out.

·
Registered
6,337 Posts
Easy way to check if the iris is operating is to look (carefully with a torch) into the lens at start up and shut down.
The iris does a function check at these times by closing down and then opening back up once the light source has stabilised.
Sounds like yours has stuck. Open if your picture is bright, or closed if your picture is dim.
Gather your evidence and get on to Sony Prime Support and/or your dealer for repair. A new lens should sort it, but they may need to change the entire optical assembly.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Well, the fact that you don't hear clicking is a good thing. Clicking means something is broken for sure. I leave mine set to full and max, and where I especially notice the iris is in scenes where there is a transition from bright to dark, especially with credits at the end of a movie. With a bright-to-dark transition, I'll see the text (for example) appear bright and then dim slightly as the iris kicks in. I can't think of a specific test for you to try, sorry. There might be a test on the Spears & Munsil disc that can point this out.
Easy way to check if the iris is operating is to look (carefully with a torch) into the lens at start up and shut down.
The iris does a function check at these times by closing down and then opening back up once the light source has stabilised.
Sounds like yours has stuck. Open if your picture is bright, or closed if your picture is dim.
Gather your evidence and get on to Sony Prime Support and/or your dealer for repair. A new lens should sort it, but they may need to change the entire optical assembly.
Thanks both. It does seem to be stuck. Is there a way to tell how far open it is relative to fully open? What is the size of the aperture when fully open. It looks like maybe it's 1/2 - 3/4" diameter right now.

I'm a bit hesitant to go for the repair as I've just had a professional calibration done and would (I think) lose the benefit of that.

·
Registered
6,337 Posts
Thanks both. It does seem to be stuck. Is there a way to tell how far open it is relative to fully open? What is the size of the aperture when fully open. It looks like maybe it's 1/2 - 3/4" diameter right now.

I'm a bit hesitant to go for the repair as I've just had a professional calibration done and would (I think) lose the benefit of that.
Look into the lens with the projector off and at the focal point you will see if any of the iris is visible.
If it is stuck closed or semi closed it should be obvious.

As for your calibration, if you get a replacement lens then it will affect no settings whatsoever, but if they replace the entire optical block, then a further calibration may be needed.
However in that eventuality I would simply re-input all the settings that your calibrator would have given you and see if it looks how you expect.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My projector is making a loud noise coming from the fan/lens when it is fired up. After about 5 minutes it gets quiet. Anyone else had this problem or know about it?

Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
6,337 Posts
My projector is making a loud noise coming from the fan/lens when it is fired up. After about 5 minutes it gets quiet. Anyone else had this problem or know about it?

Thank you in advance.
Any chance of a video or sound file so we can get a handle on what you mean please? :)

901 - 920 of 943 Posts