AVS Forum banner

941 - 960 of 962 Posts

·
Registered
7,438 Posts
Thanks very much to both of you.

I finally had time to experiment a bit more today. I noticed that turning the brightness setting up from 50 to 53 eliminated most of the problem. However, I was under the impression that brightness should always be left alone at 50 for HDR, so I'm a bit confused whether I should put it back to 50 or leave it on 53.

m0j0, the internet is wired and has 600Mbps down and up, so I don't think speed is the issue. Smooth Gradation is set to low.

Also, my dynamic iris suddenly started working again. It is clicking though. I am concerned that if I leave it on, it will get stuck in a dim setting, so I have it turned off with brightness on max. Would be great to know if you'd suggest something different.
With HDR, there are no hard and fast rules. Set it to where looks good in your environment and then enjoy it.
As for the iris, are you still under warranty? If so, then get the evidence in to Sony/your dealer and get a repair done.
You have two chances if you keep it operating. Sometimes they stick open but sometimes they stick closed down which makes them nigh on unwatchable.

·
Vendor
29,897 Posts
Folks .. getting my home theater done with a local AV company. They have a demo model of the VPL-VW695ES that has approximately 228 hrs. I had initially planned to get the VPL-VW295ES, but the demo model is being offered for around 23% off the current MSRP .. good deal .. should I take it or just stick with a brand new 295ES?
You only live once, I would tray to get a better price though :)

·
Registered
4,052 Posts
Ran across something very interesting last night. I had my 695 professionally calibrated (about a year ago now) and have been pretty happy with the picture I get in my bat cave HT (with triple black velvet on side walls and ceiling). However, some movies seem very dim in very low light scenes, such as the movie I was watching last night, Captain Marvel. So, I decided to mess around with settings, switching from gamma 2.4 to 2.6 and then eventually cycling through all gamma settings and even turning gamma off. It seemed that turning gamma off had the best result in terms of bringing some decent brightness to the scene without washing it out. I then proceeded to experiment further, and found that with gamma off, I could set contrast enhancer all the way to the max setting and it looked really impressive! Great black levels, excellent brightness, colors popping, just really fantastic! This is with color setting custom 3 (based on D65 but with RGB values bumped up to 152 from 128) and the Panasonic UB820 with dynamic slider at +6. I'm not saying everyone should go out and turn off their gamma settings, but I decided to experiment last night and I was pretty amazed at the result. I will run through a lot more content to see if the settings hold up or just worked for this particular movie, but I'm all about trying things out, even if they don't make a lot of sense, because you never know when you might come across a combination of settings that really hits home with your particular space.
After watching a lot more content, I can say that I am very pleased with the settings I have for watching 4K UHD disks on the 695 with a Panasonic UB820 that does tone mapping. I still have gamma correction turned off, contrast enhancer all the way to the max and the UB820 dynamic slider set to +6. However, I changed the custom3 color setting to custom5 and I bumped the brightness up slightly from 50 to 52. I have confirmed this setting works great with about 5 movies so far, so very happy the settings are carrying over to lots of content successfully. I did note that they did not carry over well to my Nvidia Shield though, and stuck with D65 color space, brightness at 50, etc. and it looks very, very good as well.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I went with the 4 input, 2 output Lumagen Radiance Pro 4242. It is the least expensive Lumagen. I will be getting a lot of use from it since I plan on using it with the 695ES I have now and possible future projector upgrades. This Sony now looks so good I won’t need a projector upgrade!
Hi Beamis - I have the exact situation you spoke of here! I have the 695 and just got the radiance pro however the images are still somewhat underwhelming. Don't have the resources yet to have it calibrated. Can you please share some of the settings you used to get your unit dialed in? I understand that there's even a config file that can be used. Thanks in advance for your help!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Does anyone know if Sony does trade-ups? I've had my 695 since last February and love it but last year the lens started clicking and eventually got stuck closed. I sent it in for repair and it was fixed very quickly. I guess they replaced a rail. After a couple months its starting to click again. Its still under warranty for 2 more years but I don't want to keep sending it in. I would rather just send it to Sony and get the 715 and pay the difference.

·
Registered
4,052 Posts
Hi Beamis - I have the exact situation you spoke of here! I have the 695 and just got the radiance pro however the images are still somewhat underwhelming. Don't have the resources yet to have it calibrated. Can you please share some of the settings you used to get your unit dialed in? I understand that there's even a config file that can be used. Thanks in advance for your help!
If you’re going to spend the money on a 695 and radiance pro, why not just spend the extra 400-500 to get it professionally calibrated?

·
Registered
55 Posts
If you’re going to spend the money on a 695 and radiance pro, why not just spend the extra 400-500 to get it professionally calibrated?
Yes, I agree I would like to get my Sony professionally calibrated by Kris D! Hopefully maybe later this year when he makes a swing through California. My lumagen radiance pro did make a big difference even without being professionally calibrated in person. I did pay Kris D to have my settings dialed in and to sen

·
Registered
55 Posts
Sorry, my message was cut off. I did pay Kris D to have my settings remotely all dialed in and to send me a config file. As I am a novice with the Lumagen it was well worth it to pay Kris D. I would recommend you contact him for a config. file and remote calibration assistance. It was definitely a significant change for all of my 4K viewing. However, the in person calibration is definitely on my short list to get done. I agree with M0j0!

·
Registered
7,438 Posts
Does anyone know if Sony does trade-ups? I've had my 695 since last February and love it but last year the lens started clicking and eventually got stuck closed. I sent it in for repair and it was fixed very quickly. I guess they replaced a rail. After a couple months its starting to click again. Its still under warranty for 2 more years but I don't want to keep sending it in. I would rather just send it to Sony and get the 715 and pay the difference.
I have never known them do that. Your best bet is to negotiate with a friendly dealer I would say.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have never known them do that. Your best bet is to negotiate with a friendly dealer I would say.
Thanks. I'll try that or just send it in again and sell it.

Reactions: Archibald1

·
Registered
25 Posts
Thanks for the reply... I plan to do just that when I can get someone qualified in the Atlanta area. Meanwhile, I did have Kris D dial things in a bit for me and I added a Paladin DCR. Things look pretty good so I'm not in any hurry now.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Uriyahben, glad you had Kris D dial things in for you. It was a game changer for me! How do you like that Paladin DCR lens? I’m considering adding that as well as a Kris D. calibration. Did it give you a noticeable change in light output and anything you could notice visually?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Uriyahben, glad you had Kris D dial things in for you. It was a game changer for me! How do you like that Paladin DCR lens? I’m considering adding that as well as a Kris D. calibration. Did it give you a noticeable change in light output and anything you could notice visually?
When I initially saw the price of that lens, I was like no way can I justify paying that for a lens! I then thought I wanted to go with the S1 until Kris told me that it was model specific and that I would likely have to sell the projector and lens as a package deal if I decided to upgrade. So to eliminate all of the limitations and get something I could have for years despite the projector, I went back to the DCR and BOY, am I glad I did!!! It is AMAZING!!! It along the the wizardry of Kris D, you now get a whole new experience! The images appear to "lift" off the screen a bit, if that makes sense! I've only watched a couple of 4K HDR movies thus far but I am completely sold! Now, I personally still wouldn't (didn't) pay 9k for it but I can certainly see why Panamorph asks that price. If you can find one at a discount, do your eyes (and soul) a favor and get it! o_O

·
Registered
55 Posts
Uriyahben,

Thanks for the quick feedback! I’m not always checking the forum so I am not always quick to respond myself. I’m definitely in the same boat as you as far as equipment and that we are striving to get great performance from our theater! That is awesome that the picture lifts off the screen! I thought the 695 + Lumagen + Kris D settings was a game changer! Looks like I’ll have to add the DCR sooner. The Lumagen and the DCR lens will be used with whatever projector you have so that helps from an investment perspective! Plus, with those components added, a new projector is not needed in the near future since the results are there!

·
Registered
4,052 Posts
Anyone here setup an HDFury Vertex2 with a 695 to pass Dolby Vision from a DV compatible source? Just got mine late yesterday and getting ready to set it up and try it out tonight. Any tips are welcome!

·
Registered
7,438 Posts
Anyone here setup an HDFury Vertex2 with a 695 to pass Dolby Vision from a DV compatible source? Just got mine late yesterday and getting ready to set it up and try it out tonight. Any tips are welcome!
My advice is to use the Sony A1 EDID (no10) and try that before going on to custom DV strings.
Make sure you set the contrast HDR setting to 60 (1000nit IIRC) and see how it looks.
You may need to twiddle some other things, so I suggest you set up another preset as identical to the one you currently use for HDR and then tweak it for DV specifically.
Remember there is no right or wrong here, it is about getting it how it looks best to you.
Have fun.

Reactions: m0j0

·
Registered
4,052 Posts
My advice is to use the Sony A1 EDID (no10) and try that before going on to custom DV strings.
Make sure you set the contrast HDR setting to 60 (1000nit IIRC) and see how it looks.
You may need to twiddle some other things, so I suggest you set up another preset as identical to the one you currently use for HDR and then tweak it for DV specifically.
Remember there is no right or wrong here, it is about getting it how it looks best to you.
Have fun.
Thanks for the response! Will give it a go!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Have fun.
Hi,

Someone could share A1 edid .bin file? I have a zidoo player end it can emulate hdfury with the correct .bin file.

Thnak you.

941 - 960 of 962 Posts