AVS Forum banner

1901 - 1918 of 1918 Posts

·
Registered
7,881 Posts
I saw a post on another forum where a new 995ES owner claimed to have a new firmware release 3.1. I've checked the Sony USA site and it isn't showing any new firmware available. Is this something that is only shipping with new builds?
Yes I believe a factory/service update of version 3.100 is on some units. By all accounts though, it adds no new functionality and PQ remains unchanged, so I wouldn't sweat it too much. ;)

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Now that I'm using Lumagen to do DTM for all my 4K HDR content, I really don't see the need to press Sony for any firmware update UNLESS it is a feature that is really neat. I just couldn't think of any "such feature" right now. Anyone?

·
Registered
7,881 Posts
Now that I'm using Lumagen to do DTM for all my 4K HDR content, I really don't see the need to press Sony for any firmware update UNLESS it is a feature that is really neat. I just couldn't think of any "such feature" right now. Anyone?
There will not be any features added that bring any benefit to you as a Lumagen user. The processing on the projector becomes immaterial in your situation.

Reactions: desray2k

·
Premium Member
564 Posts
Anyone know what this is for - this is the empty(!) compartment beneath the lens. Almost like they forgot to add a filter or something...

·
Registered
7,881 Posts
Anyone know what this is for - this is the empty(!) compartment beneath the lens. Almost like they forgot to add a filter or something...
View attachment 3132612
It is the same compartment where the 1080 models have their panel filter.
There is simply not a filter in there. I assume because they don't require one.
However, why they made the panel removeable if nothing needs cleaning/changing in there is a bit of a mystery.
Maybe they originally intended for a filter to be in there, but they ended up sealing the optical path better than the original design....?
We will likely never know.

·
Premium Member
564 Posts
It is the same compartment where the 1080 models have their panel filter.
There is simply not a filter in there. I assume because they don't require one.
However, why they made the panel removeable if nothing needs cleaning/changing in there is a bit of a mystery.
Maybe they originally intended for a filter to be in there, but they ended up sealing the optical path better than the original design....?
We will likely never know.
Good place to smuggle stuff in!

·
Registered
7,881 Posts
Reactions: Surge2018

·
Premium Member
564 Posts
Question for the Lumagen Owners, which mode on the Sony did you used for the calibration?

Thanks!
I used User and Reference. The former being for HDR content and the latter for SDR. It doesn’t really matter thought - just pick one and set all contrast/color settings to 0.
Contrast Enhance Low for SDR, Off for HDR.

·
Premium Member
564 Posts
I have a basically new 995ES for sale, posted in the Classifieds. It was just inspected, a new optical block installed, cleaned, and updated to the 3.10 firmware by Sony. Only ~1150 hours in total!
Warranty until Feb. 2022.

Get this for half of the price of a 1025ES, and pair with a Lumagen for ~$4k, for a killer combo that the 1025ES can’t match.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Following problem:

I have a test image (UHD 3840x2160) with some 1px lines and patterns. If i set my PC to 4K 4096x2160 and view the test image with Photoshop (so i can view it without any scaling since it has 3840x2160) it looks perfect. Also all the text etc. from Windows looks perfect, exactly how i would want it.

As soon as i change the resolution (windows) to 3840x2160 i can't see the 1px lines and patterns anymore, they are just gone. I always thought that on UHD just the 128px on the outsides are getting blanked (or black) but the rest is still 1:1 pixels.

Is there some scaling happening inside the sony or is there something i do wrong? It also happens when i view the test image on my oppo 203.

Edit: RC is off, aspect ratio is normal.

Here is the test image if maybe someone wanna try: ktQjFrY

·
Registered
7,881 Posts
Following problem:

I have a test image (UHD 3840x2160) with some 1px lines and patterns. If i set my PC to 4K 4096x2160 and view the test image with Photoshop (so i can view it without any scaling since it has 3840x2160) it looks perfect. Also all the text etc. from Windows looks perfect, exactly how i would want it.

As soon as i change the resolution (windows) to 3840x2160 i can't see the 1px lines and patterns anymore, they are just gone. I always thought that on UHD just the 128px on the outsides are getting blanked (or black) but the rest is still 1:1 pixels.

Is there some scaling happening inside the sony or is there something i do wrong? It also happens when i view the test image on my oppo 203.

Edit: RC is off, aspect ratio is normal.

Here is the test image if maybe someone wanna try: ktQjFrY
Interesting find.
At first glance it would suggest that some form of scaling is always happening with these projectors even when it isn't supposed to.
I will try the image on my 760 as soon as I get a chance.

edit: Turns out it was the users Lumagen Pro that is causing it, not the projector.

Reactions: chickberger

·
Registered
61 Posts
Hi Archibald,

it was the lumagen. :-/ Today i tested my second PC on HDMI 2 and it worked normally and then i removed the lumagen from my AVR and out of a sudden also the other devices showed the image correctly.

Did a factory reset on the Lumagen but that didn't helped. Really wondering why this is happening, will try to ask in the Lumagen thread.

Thanks nonetheless :)

·
Registered
7,881 Posts
Hi Archibald,

it was the lumagen. :-/ Today i tested my second PC on HDMI 2 and it worked normally and then i removed the lumagen from my AVR and out of a sudden also the other devices showed the image correctly.

Did a factory reset on the Lumagen but that didn't helped. Really wondering why this is happening, will try to ask in the Lumagen thread.

No probs. Looks like the Lumagen is always performing some scaling then. Bit of a Bummer.
Nice find though!

·
Registered
782 Posts
Hi Archibald,

Lumagen can't output/process full 4:4:4 chroma, maybe it messes something with 1 pixel patterns? Or should it not affect black/white patterns......dunno.

·
Registered
7,881 Posts
Lumagen can't output/process full 4:4:4 chroma, maybe it messes something with 1 pixel patterns? Or should it not affect black/white patterns......dunno.
Logical hypothesis and any mechanism causing such a thing as inability tp map 1:1 pixels, from not being able to process 4:4:4, would be interesting to learn.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Hi MDesigns,

i tested various chroma settings so this shouldn't be the problem. Most of the times i used the suggested 4:2:2. Since the image indeed looks fine when viewed at 4096x2160 with the lumagen iam sure it has to be some scaling because it starts to fail when the lumagen is set to 3840x2160.

Just to make sure the image is displayed in photoshop 1:1 so it doesn't get scaled and as mentioned is looking fine without the lumagen on both 4k and UHD.

I already asked in the radiance pro thread so lets see. :) I don't know if i could live without this because knowing your image is not displayed 1:1 sucks and on a PC desktop for example you can even notice it without looking closely to the screen so its not a "you will not notice it" thing.

1901 - 1918 of 1918 Posts