AVS Forum banner

421 - 440 of 707 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
You'll get a new filter if you buy a 100% OEM lamp. If it not 100% OEM th elamp will not come with the filter. To clean it just turn the faucet on lightly and run cold water on it dirty side down so that the dirt doesnt go into the filter..
Good to know, bought a spare bulb - believe it's OEM. Will check for the filter when I get home :)

Kelvin

·
Registered
7,030 Posts
Good to know, bought a spare bulb - believe it's OEM. Will check for the filter when I get home :)

Kelvin
Yup take a look. If it doesn't say Sony on the box and it doesn't have the filter it's not an OEM. There are a lot of places selling lamps as OEM that aren't. the other idicator that it's not really OEM is the price. The OEM lamp goes for $289.00 and the fakes can be anywhere from $60 - $150 or so. So if the price was too good to be true, and the box didn't say Sony and there isn't a filter then it's not an OEM.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Is cleaning the filter totally based on hours used? Also the room isn't very dusty at all. I've had my 45es since October 2016, but I don't even have 500 hours on it yet, as it's only used for watching Blu Ray movies.

·
Registered
7,030 Posts
Is cleaning the filter totally based on hours used? Also the room isn't very dusty at all. I've had my 45es since October 2016, but I don't even have 500 hours on it yet, as it's only used for watching Blu Ray movies.
It's based on hours and environment. If your environment isn't at all dustyyou'll get the message no matter what at 1500 hours. If your environment is dusty you'll get it before 1500 hours.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I'm about ready to pull the trigger on a projector for my theater room and I'm pretty much decided on the VPLHW45ES.

The pricing online is all over the board. My concern is that I can't find some of these businesses on Sony's "dealer" list so I'm not sure if they are official dealers or not? I'm worried that I could save several hundred up front but then Sony would deny any warranty repair *if needed*.......... Have any of you run into this or have any input?

·
Registered
251 Posts
I'm about ready to pull the trigger on a projector for my theater room and I'm pretty much decided on the VPLHW45ES.

The pricing online is all over the board. My concern is that I can't find some of these businesses on Sony's "dealer" list so I'm not sure if they are official dealers or not? I'm worried that I could save several hundred up front but then Sony would deny any warranty repair *if needed*.......... Have any of you run into this or have any input?

Sony has an official list of dealers. Note you have to view it in an MS browser for the full alphabetical list to show.

https://www.sony.com/retailers

·
Registered
55 Posts
Sony has an official list of dealers. Note you have to view it in an MS browser for the full alphabetical list to show.

https://www.sony.com/retailers
I get that. I'm just trying to figure out how "dealers" that are not on Sony's list are selling the projector for considerably less money than "dealers" that are on the list? If purchased from a "dealer" not on the list would Sony still honor the warranty?

·
Registered
251 Posts
I get that. I'm just trying to figure out how "dealers" that are not on Sony's list are selling the projector for considerably less money than "dealers" that are on the list? If purchased from a "dealer" not on the list would Sony still honor the warranty?

There is nothing to figure out. They are just sellers of an item. They aren't a dealer so they don't have to conform to the MAP. If they aren't a dealer so you have no warranty. Dealer is an official designation that you have a relationship with the manufacturer.

·
Registered
55 Posts
There is nothing to figure out. They are just sellers of an item. They aren't a dealer so they don't have to conform to the MAP. If they aren't a dealer so you have no warranty. Dealer is an official designation that you have a relationship with the manufacturer.
How are they purchasing the product then? I know I can't call Sony and order up a projector under WD and resell it for less than MAP.

·
Registered
251 Posts
How are they purchasing the product then? I know I can't call Sony and order up a projector under WD and resell it for less than MAP.

Stores buy from huge electronic distributors. No one is getting them directly from Sony.

·
Registered
9,803 Posts
Sony tracks the serial numbers of every projector they import into the USA. Those serial numbers are stored in the Sony computer system and they are all eligible for a full Sony factory warranty. Sony projectors imported into the country by anyone other than Sony are considered gray market and do not qualify for a Sony factory warranty. Anyone who wonders if the Sony projector they bought is eligible for a Sony factory warranty only needs to register it on Sony's website at productregistration.sony.com/ . One of the fields you fill in is serial number. If your serial number doesn't match what's in Sony's computer system then it's a gray market model and you do not get a Sony factory warranty.

Sony requires its authorized dealers to only advertise msrp or whatever current official Sony sales price might be in effect. Any lower advertised price should raise red flags about the vendor. The only way you can be assured of not getting a gray market model without a factory warranty is to go through a Sony authorized dealer. Just because they are required not to advertise a lower price doesn't mean you can't call up authorized dealers and try to negotiate a lower price. ;)

·
Registered
35 Posts
I recently ordered an FL-D filter for the projector, in hopes of using the Custom5 colour profile, because it has higher contrast compared to other modes.
The problem is that the Custom5 profile has quite severe green and blue levels. FL-D filter should alleviate that issue. I received the filter today and i'm
very pleased with the results. I had to resort to using D55 colour profile before to get to 6500K standard. Using D55 dropped my contrast to 3400:1.

Now using the FL-D filter, it brought the Custom5 profile colour levels to a very manageable range. A few adjustments later, and my picture was near perfect.
Contrast was an amazing 4787:1 and the black level was also lowered a bit. The picture looks superb, blacks are quite inky, although still not completely black.

I bought the HOYA HMC FL-D filter, it was around 25$ and I couldn't be happier with this little investment. Really recommend it!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Got a link to the filter and how did you attach the filter to the lens?

·
Registered
9,803 Posts
I ordered mine off ofAmazon, but you can also get them from Bhphotovideo. I got the 62mm version. I screwed the filter onto a rubber lens hood like this one and just placed the lens hood with the bigger opening onto the HW45ES lens.
That rubber lens hood is a very clever filter mounting solution to be shared in the future with anyone considering adding an ND filter to a projector to cut down excessive brightness.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I recently ordered an FL-D filter for the projector, in hopes of using the Custom5 colour profile, because it has higher contrast compared to other modes.
The problem is that the Custom5 profile has quite severe green and blue levels. FL-D filter should alleviate that issue. I received the filter today and i'm
very pleased with the results. I had to resort to using D55 colour profile before to get to 6500K standard. Using D55 dropped my contrast to 3400:1.

Now using the FL-D filter, it brought the Custom5 profile colour levels to a very manageable range. A few adjustments later, and my picture was near perfect.
Contrast was an amazing 4787:1 and the black level was also lowered a bit. The picture looks superb, blacks are quite inky, although still not completely black.

I bought the HOYA HMC FL-D filter, it was around 25$ and I couldn't be happier with this little investment. Really recommend it!
Have you tried using an 85C filter? The spectral profile is a slightly better match for lamp and I'm getting excellent results from one.

Thanks for the lens hood solution - quite elegant.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Have you tried using an 85C filter? The spectral profile is a slightly better match for lamp and I'm getting excellent results from one.

Thanks for the lens hood solution - quite elegant.
I did wonder if there are any better matching filters, I'm sure i'll try it out in the future. Can you also list what kind of Gain and Bias settings did you use for Custom5 profile and what
kind of screen are you using? I'm using an ALR screen from Carl's place and on average it seems to be 1000K colder than the projector D55, D65 etc settings.
Even with the FL-D filter I had to boost the red Gain quite considerably, but not enough to run out of colour or deteriorate the picture.

I did also try 81B warming filter, it worked but worse since it didn't filter out any green and didn't let enough red through.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I did wonder if there are any better matching filters, I'm sure i'll try it out in the future. Can you also list what kind of Gain and Bias settings did you use for Custom5 profile and what
kind of screen are you using? I'm using an ALR screen from Carl's place and on average it seems to be 1000K colder than the projector D55, D65 etc settings.
Even with the FL-D filter I had to boost the red Gain quite considerably, but not enough to run out of colour or deteriorate the picture.

I did also try 81B warming filter, it worked but worse since it didn't filter out any green and didn't let enough red through.
Gain: R:0 G:9 B:15
Bias: R:0 G:-5 B-9

I'm using a 100" Stewart GreyHawk with a gain of around .9.

An issue I had with the FLD is that it cuts out a bit too much green. I found that raising the green gain above 9 resulted in some loss of highlight detail.

I get contrast ratios in the 5500-7500 range.

·
Premium Member
7,402 Posts
Looks like I am wading back into front projection with a Sony 45ES unless I change my mind before Monday and get a JVC. I have been out of front projection for 10 years! I had a Panasonic AE100, AE200, briefly a defective AE300 and the Hitachi TX100 and TX200. I actually bought a JVC RS-40 but then I moved. At the time things did not pan out for a home theatre so I sold it without ever using it! I eventually got a Pansonic plasma and my pj dreams went on the back burner.

So I am back setting up a projection home theatre. I have pretty much ordered the Sony 45ES and hope to get it later next week. I plan to have a CIH screen with a height of roughly 50-55" depending on what works best. Looking for a Prismasonic Lens. I have a throw distance of about 13-13.5 feet. I will have to work on light control with drapes and other gadgets as this will be in my living room. My main display atm is a Panasonic 65VT60. I hope to have a screen that will pull down or swing down in front of the TV. My plan is to get back into this PJ thing and see if I like it again. If it works good then perhaps upgrade to a 4K projector for hopefully less than $5k in a couple years.

My concerns are panel degredation. To that end I will keep the room cool, clean the air filter often and keep my eye on things.

For now I will be making a screen out of blackout material while I test out projector and screen position, throw range, CIH lens setup etc. Once I settle things I will shop for a more permanent screen solution.

Any suggestions on HDMI cables? I was planning to get a 40 foot Active cable that I can use in the event of upgrading to 4k.

Also planning to pick up an Oppo...except I notice they are stopping production....hmmm. Anyhow... If I get a 4K version of Oppo player, or if I run other higher than HD content from streaming online sources, can I run 4K into the Sony and let it downscale it?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Anyone know how to turn off the box that shows "Sony VLP-HW45ES"? I just restarted my projector after a move and it Kees doing it. It rotates position, but won't go away. See attached pic.

Attachments

421 - 440 of 707 Posts