AVS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Thanks @SanDiegoGuy for pointing me to the existing owners' thread. Not sure why I missed it the first time around. I did my fair share of digging in this forum :ROFLMAO:
Not yet officially an owner, my unit is expected to arrive at my local Best Buy store for pick up on December 28th. The wait is already killing me.
I am a movie buff and always wanted a home theater. Have an opportunity this year to finally put together my home theater. While I love to have the budget to get everything together at once, to keep the home finance minister happy I am prioritizing the video aspect of things. Have been on the fence between Samsung LSP9T and Sony VPL-VZ1000ES for a while and finally @theatherlover and @SanDiegoGuy convinced me to jump over to the Sony camp.
Will be pairing the Sony with Stewart Balon Edge UST screen. I guess only the king of UST is fitting for the Stewart screen. Too bad the home theater room slopping roof means I couldn't use the Salamender Design credenza due to the height limitation. I only have 84" of wall height on the projection wall. Just got the IKEA LACK TV cabinet today which should be low enough (with its legs removed) for 120" projection on my limited height wall. Can't wait to finally set it up!

·
Registered
6,299 Posts
Thanks @SanDiegoGuy for pointing me to the existing owners' thread. Not sure why I missed it the first time around. I did my fair share of digging in this forum :ROFLMAO:
Not yet officially an owner, my unit is expected to arrive at my local Best Buy store for pick up on December 28th. The wait is already killing me.
I am a movie buff and always wanted a home theater. Have an opportunity this year to finally put together my home theater. While I love to have the budget to get everything together at once, to keep the home finance minister happy I am prioritizing the video aspect of things. Have been on the fence between Samsung LSP9T and Sony VPL-VZ1000ES for a while and finally @theatherlover and @SanDiegoGuy convinced me to jump over to the Sony camp.
Will be pairing the Sony with Stewart Balon Edge UST screen. I guess only the king of UST is fitting for the Stewart screen. Too bad the home theater room slopping roof means I couldn't use the Salamender Design credenza due to the height limitation. I only have 84" of wall height on the projection wall. Just got the IKEA LACK TV cabinet today which should be low enough (with its legs removed) for 120" projection on my limited height wall. Can't wait to finally set it up!
Welcome to the SXRD owners club. You will love it. Ignore any naysayers, the Sony is pretty much to of the pile currently fit 4k UST and it has the honour of being the only native 4k UST to my knowledge.
Look forward to hearing about it once you get it and seeing some eye candy (see my eye candy thread for where to post your pictures) from it once set up.
Congratulations. :cool:

·
Registered
56 Posts
Hi, the VZ1000ES is here since some time now (i have bought mine 2 months ago), do you know if sony will release a new model soon ?

·
Registered
158 Posts
Hi, the VZ1000ES is here since some time now (i have bought mine 2 months ago), do you know if sony will release a new model soon ?
Didn't see any rumors about a new Sony UST so far. VZ1000ES is already 3 years old now and it won't surprise me if Sony is working on a replacement. But I will be gutted because I just placed my order for VZ1000ES. Having said that, the new Sony UST would probably cost more.

·
Registered
6,299 Posts
Didn't see any rumors about a new Sony UST so far. VZ1000ES is already 3 years old now and it won't surprise me if Sony is working on a replacement. But I will be gutted because I just placed my order for VZ1000ES. Having said that, the new Sony UST would probably cost more.
A new model won't necessarily cost more, (as shown by the 590 and 790) but they usually do.
There really isn't much they can do to improve the VZ1000 especially as it is still the only (to my knowledge) native 4K UST.
If they do bring a new model out, it really would need to come with some proper new tech not just updated software.
I wouldn't worry unduly about a new model myself.

·
Registered
6,299 Posts
What firmware is on these and has it had any updates thus far?

·
Registered
158 Posts
I'm really interested to see a side by side comparison of the VZ1000ES with the current batch off 4K UHD UST projectors like the Samsung LSP9T or LG HU85LA. Unfortunately doesn't look like any review has done that.

·
Registered
6,299 Posts
I'm really interested to see a side by side comparison of the VZ1000ES with the current batch off 4K UHD UST projectors like the Samsung LSP9T or LG HU85LA. Unfortunately doesn't look like any review has done that.
Even if those machines have a wider gamut, there is nothing quite like watching stuff perfectly pixel mapped with no tricks to attain the 4k resolution.
There are no speakers in the Sony either so no vibrations through the chassis whilst it is working.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Even if those machines have a wider gamut, there is nothing quite like watching stuff perfectly pixel mapped with no tricks to attain the 4k resolution.
There are no speakers in the Sony either so no vibrations through the chassis whilst it is working.
I have not seen them side by side thus can't comment much. Tempted to just get the LSP9T under the Samsung 100 days no question ask return policy and do a side by side once I got my Sony :LOL:

I think only very few of those owners will use the build in speakers of those UST projectors.

·
Registered
6,299 Posts
I have not seen them side by side thus can't comment much. Tempted to just get the LSP9T under the Samsung 100 days no question ask return policy and do a side by side once I got my Sony :LOL:

I think only very few of those owners will use the build in speakers of those UST projectors.
That is quite the return policy and I suspect not one they expect to be used by people actually comparing two very expensive projectors side by side (possibly).... ;)
If you do take that route, then you will be in a position to make some great observations.
I will be interested to hear your thoughts if that is what you decide to do.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Is anyone using their VZ1000ES with any kind of power conditioner? I definitely wanting a solid surge protection on the equipment but wonder whether I should splurge for a power conditioner. This is probably a contentious topic. Have been reading a lot about how a good power conditioner would impact audio quality, but not so much reviews on image quality. Eyeing maybe the Audioquest Niagara 3000.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Is anyone using their VZ1000ES with any kind of power conditioner? I definitely wanting a solid surge protection on the equipment but wonder whether I should splurge for a power conditioner. This is probably a contentious topic. Have been reading a lot about how a good power conditioner would impact audio quality, but not so much reviews on image quality. Eyeing maybe the Audioquest Niagara 3000.
Wow, you are going all out on the video and audio department :)
I guess this Sony projector deserves it.

I am currently binge watching Game of Thrones 4K Atmos with this projector and 7.1.4 audio system. Currently on season 6 from starting at Season 1, episode 1. Great experience when all the lights are off.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Wow, you are going all out on the video and audio department :)
I guess this Sony projector deserves it.

I am currently binge watching Game of Thrones 4K Atmos with this projector and 7.1.4 audio system. Currently on season 6 from starting at Season 1, episode 1. Great experience when all the lights are off.
That's the end goal :LOL: For now I'm content with the VZ1000ES and Steward Balon Edge UST screen. Both of them are scheduled to deliver after Christmas holidays. Hopefully no further delays. On the sound department I'm hooking it up with Sennheiser Ambeo soundbar, which is already delivered and waiting patiently in the home theater room. That would do for now until the proper budget for a 7.1.4 system is in place.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
That's the end goal :LOL: For now I'm content with the VZ1000ES and Steward Balon Edge UST screen. Both of them are scheduled to deliver after Christmas holidays. Hopefully no further delays. On the sound department I'm hooking it up with Sennheiser Ambeo soundbar, which is already delivered and waiting patiently in the home theater room. That would do for now until the proper budget for a 7.1.4 system is in place.
I did get a chance to listen to the Sennheiser Ambeo soundbar two years ago at CES. It is a great sound bar. It was not yet for sale at that time. Anyway, congrats on the sound bar. I cannot image what kind of budget you will spend on dedicated speakers system when you are ready in the future :)

·
Registered
158 Posts
I did get a chance to listen to the Sennheiser Ambeo soundbar two years ago at CES. It is a great sound bar. It was not yet for sale at that time. Anyway, congrats on the sound bar. I cannot image what kind of budget you will spend on dedicated speakers system when you are ready in the future :)
I have my wish list, but whether the budget gets the finance minister approval is another story :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
I have my wish list, but whether the budget gets the finance minister approval is another story :ROFLMAO:
You should have bought a really bad audio system then when your finance minister hear how bad it is, she would want to upgrade to a better audio system.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Well well, I guess Christmas came early and I got an email from my local BestBuy store today that my VZ1000ES is finally here and ready to pick up! Unfortunately my screen is not here yet but even the projection at my drywall looks good. I can only imagine how refine it would be on a dedicated UST screen.

21 - 40 of 50 Posts