AVS Forum banner

2321 - 2340 of 6672 Posts

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Hey guys,

I just learned there should be a way to set horizontal and vertical focus seperately on this projector. Any idea how should I go about that? That sounds like something that might help.

·
Registered
28,769 Posts
Hey guys,

I just learned there should be a way to set horizontal and vertical focus seperately on this projector. Any idea how should I go about that? That sounds like something that might help.
Do you mean convergence? Horizontal and vertical focus does not make sense.

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Go for unit #4 , or try to get a full refund and move on, unfortunately.

Was this the LK970? If you want to run HDR you have to force it with either an Oppo 203/205 UHD Bluray player or an HDFury Linker or Vertex. Then you have to do some manual "tone mapping" and settings like using Gamma 2.8 and other extreme things, a la' my HarperVision.

Blacks and native contrast are of course lower than an 885, but as I've said many times, after my tweaks and calibration I feel give more strengths than the one weakness of lower contrast/blacks (but with increased shadow details).

I'm not sure what you mean by "washed out greys"? Do you still have it? I can send some settings?

There's an official LK970 thread so we should continue there.

I haven’t subscribed to the thread. Could you pm me?

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
I need another favor from the group...trying to assess this "blue smear" issue and see if it happens on other people's 885ES units. I've included a pic. It's the alignment menu...notice the blue coming off the top of the white arrows.

Do others see this? I will freely admit you have to get a bit close to the screen to see it.
Could my kind fellow 885ES owners do me a quick favor and bring up the alignment menu and see if the arrows have blue streaks above them like the picture I posted yesterday?

Thanks all,

Chris

·
Registered
235 Posts
Could my kind fellow 885ES owners do me a quick favor and bring up the alignment menu and see if the arrows have blue streaks above them like the picture I posted yesterday?

Thanks all,

Chris

I actually looked for it after seeing your post. I don't have blue streaks coming out of the arrows in the alignment menu.

·
Registered
21,119 Posts
The latest Widescreen Review has an excellent thorough review of the 885 projector!

·
Registered
4,915 Posts

Thanks all,

Chris
I don't recall it, but I will check next time I fire it up.

·
Premium Member
4,039 Posts

·
Registered
4,915 Posts
I put up the same pattern, did not have any blue smear like @fatherom shows.
I have been too busy in the sunshine doing all the jobs I put off around the house so I haven't touched the projector for a few days. :)
Hopefully will tonight. :D

Reactions: fatherom

·
Premium Member
4,039 Posts
I have been too busy in the sunshine doing all the jobs I put off around the house so I haven't touched the projector for a few days. :)
Hopefully will tonight. :D

Same here, the projector has been the last on my priority list for months now. Building a new home and restoring my airplane, last weekend I planted 1100 feet of root crops , dug and buried 400 feet of electrical cable 3 feet down.

With sunshine and long days, any spare time will be Salmon fishing , hiking and mountain bike riding, now that the plane is flying again, a little bit of back country flying too . One of my favorite hiking spots in this image, me and my wife on the edge of the Fjord .

Attachments

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Totally random question (nothing about my projector problems :)

I was reading about how .47 dlp projectors (like the Optoma hd51a) have a light border around the edge of the displayed image. But then I was recalling, when researching the 285ES, that since Sony projectors aren't natively 16:9, there is a bit of black displayed beyond the image boundary.

When I got my 885ES and used my 16:9 screen and set aspect to "normal", I was happy to see that I couldn't see anything beyond the 16:9 image (no light spillover onto my screen frame).

I looked at the manuals for the 285ES and the 885ES and they both seem to indicate one WOULD be seeing spillover beyond the projected image, but I'm not seeing that (which is a good thing, of course!).

How is this being accomplished?

Thanks,

Chris

·
Registered
28,769 Posts
Totally random question (nothing about my projector problems :)

I was reading about how .47 dlp projectors (like the Optoma hd51a) have a light border around the edge of the displayed image. But then I was recalling, when researching the 285ES, that since Sony projectors aren't natively 16:9, there is a bit of black displayed beyond the image boundary.

When I got my 885ES and used my 16:9 screen and set aspect to "normal", I was happy to see that I couldn't see anything beyond the 16:9 image (no light spillover onto my screen frame).

I looked at the manuals for the 285ES and the 885ES and they both seem to indicate one WOULD be seeing spillover beyond the projected image, but I'm not seeing that (which is a good thing, of course!).

How is this being accomplished?

Thanks,

Chris
Dark enough that you can't see it on the black velvet. Reduce your image size about 8" all around and then look.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
From those pictures, it doesn't look like quite the same issue to me.
Yes indeed, it's not the blue streaking on white.

It looks more like a ghost image, as if it's some kind of reflection? It's hard to explain.

Can you confirm you don't have the same problem Archibald?

It annoys me a little, because I have the feeling my image isn't focused when watching content. As if something's "off". But I admit I'm very sensitive to this kind of thing.

I'll probably ask premier support for some help. Just got the number from my dealer.

·
Banned
6,554 Posts

It looks more like a ghost image, as if it's some kind of reflection? It's hard to explain.

It annoys me a little, because I have the feeling my image isn't focused when watching content. As if something's "off". But I admit I'm very sensitive to this kind of thing.

I'll probably ask premier support for some help. Just got the number from my dealer.

Bad lens sample?

·
Registered
4,915 Posts

I will take a look as soon as I get round to getting some time to actually sit down and watch a movie or two. (I have them lining up at the moment). :D

I don't recall seeing that effect, but will let you know as soon as I can.

·
Registered
4,915 Posts
Bad lens sample?
That is a distinct possibility I suppose, but I would have thought he would have seen it straight away if that was the case?

I think there is the possibility that the potency of the light source may cause issues with the panels or other areas of the optical engine down the line that they hadn't foreseen. I am glad I have 6 year warranty on mine!

·
Registered
1,375 Posts

Bad lens sample?
Well, tbh my dealer is Nigel. He told me this was the best one out of 5 projectors. So I'm pretty confident it wasn't looking like this from the start.

·
Registered
834 Posts
I had that effect with both my original 350es and to a lesser extent the replacement. I also have it to some degree with this 885es but much less. IIRC it can be limited to some extent through the panel alignment adjustment menu but not eliminated. Using that menu might then cause other issues. OTOH one person told me it was the quality of the lens Sony uses. You might want to ask the guys over in the 5000 thread and see what they say (since it has the much better lens). Nigel should be able to tell you exactly what it is since he has seen all these products and, based on his earlier posts, has the ability to talk to Sony (technical side) directly for you. Sony's typical response to this kind of thing is that you won't see it in content so tough luck. Hope you get it sorted.

Well, tbh my dealer is Nigel. He told me this was the best one out of 5 projectors. So I'm pretty confident it wasn't looking like this from the start.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
I had that effect with both my original 350es and to a lesser extent the replacement. I also have it to some degree with this 885es but much less. IIRC it can be limited to some extent through the panel alignment adjustment menu but not eliminated. Using that menu might then cause other issues. OTOH one person told me it was the quality of the lens Sony uses. You might want to ask the guys over in the 5000 thread and see what they say (since it has the much better lens). Nigel should be able to tell you exactly what it is since he has seen all these products and, based on his earlier posts, has the ability to talk to Sony (technical side) directly for you. Sony's typical response to this kind of thing is that you won't see it in content so tough luck. Hope you get it sorted.

Thanks for the response. Can you tell me this is better or worse than your original unit looking at the screenshot?

And that's Sony's response? I've had some dealings with Prime support before and they were awesome. I would be surprised if they would do that.

I'll be honest and say I'm a little dissapointed in Nigel's support. He basically waved me off to Sony almost immediately without asking through.

2321 - 2340 of 6672 Posts