AVS Forum banner

2641 - 2660 of 6735 Posts

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
I actually had a thought, so I tried it...I played the raw .m2ts file on my dune solo 4k, and it shows the text, which means it's part of the image (not a projected subtitle based on language settings). So, yes, this is (admittedly) the ONE instance where I've seen the blue streaks manifest themselves in actual content.

I will keep a (very casual) eye out for a scene in a movie where there's something bright blinding white (Blade Runner 2049 may have something like this), and I'll see if I get blue "bleed" above that point in the image.

Actually, I remember seeing the streaks on the Lucy "100%" text as well.

·
Registered
4,963 Posts
I'll try Passengers with another language tonight and see if the text in that scene changes. That would indicate overlaid subtitles, not baked into the image.
I can save you the effort if you want. The subtitles are presented in exactly the same way as the normal text on that screen, in that, they don't look over laid like the ones on Lucy do.
:confused:
Weird.

Also check at the start when the SONY logo starts pure white and moves towards the viewer. When it is pure white, it exhibits the same thing, (i.e. not much on mine) but as it grows in size it changes colour and the effect disappears.

All very strange but I grow weary now and just want to watch some flicks. But later. It is too nice outside to be playing in the cinema any more. :D

Reactions: fatherom

·
Registered
4,963 Posts
Actually, I remember seeing the streaks on the Lucy "100%" text as well.
In that case don't put up with it, as you can see on my picture I had zero occurrence on the 100% image. My convergence is very good too I might add.

Actually, if you still have two machines there, have a play with them both and keep the one which is best. I would be flogging them to within an inch of their lives to keep the best example if I had two here. :D;):)

·
Registered
4,963 Posts
@fatherom one more thing before I go and grab a beer, ;) did you say you had a flat matt white screen?

What happens if you put some grey cloth up where the text is? Does it change the effect?

·
Registered
28,836 Posts
Except the horizontal blue streaking that Kris mentioned.....
Per Kris:
"Streaking from white objects on a black background has been pretty common on JVCs and is something I looked for immediately when I have a chance to look at a new model. The RS4500 had absolutely ZERO vertical streaking with every model that came through my house (3 of them). It had the ever so slight amount of horizontal streaking, but it was barely detectable unless I put my face to the screen (on one of the models)."

Kris reported a very slight horizontal white streaking with nose to the screen. As I said, zero blue streaking has been reported on an RS4500. In fact the very slight horizontal streaking that Kris saw on one of the three units he has seen, with eyes at the screen, is the only streaking that has been reported on any RS4500 that I know about. I have seen six units with zero streaking. Craig reports zero streaking on his unit. We have zero streaking on our demo unit. Zero streaking on the three units I have seen at CEDIA and I know of over a dozen other owners that also have reported no streaking. Several have posted about no streaking, in another forum.

The Oppo screen saver is a very good way to test for this and what I use, when checking for it. Seems to be worse, with the large white letters moving. My current RS640 has a little bit of streaking, most noticeable in high lamp at 30 plus FL, using Oppo screen saver and standing within 4' of the screen. Still a non issue when watching content, especially when in normal lamp mode.

·
Registered
4,963 Posts
Per Kris:
"Streaking from white objects on a black background has been pretty common on JVCs and is something I looked for immediately when I have a chance to look at a new model. The RS4500 had absolutely ZERO vertical streaking with every model that came through my house (3 of them). It had the ever so slight amount of horizontal streaking, but it was barely detectable unless I put my face to the screen (on one of the models)."

Kris reported a very slight horizontal white streaking with nose to the screen. As I said, zero blue streaking has been reported on an RS4500. In fact the very slight horizontal streaking that Kris saw on one of the three units he has seen, with eyes at the screen, is the only streaking that has been reported on any RS4500 that I know about. I have seen six units with zero streaking. Craig reports zero streaking on his unit. We have zero streaking on our demo unit. Zero streaking on the three units I have seen at CEDIA and I know of over a dozen other owners that also have reported no streaking. Several have posted about no streaking, in another forum.

The Oppo screen saver is a very good way to test for this and what I use, when checking for it. Seems to be worse, with the large white letters moving. My current RS640 has a little bit of streaking, most noticeable in high lamp at 30 plus FL, using Oppo screen saver and standing within 4' of the screen. Still a non issue when watching content, especially when in normal lamp mode.
Even one report is not zero. Streaking is streaking, which ever way you cut the cloth and from whatever colour, but I get your point. :) :D

Reactions: roxiedog13

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
@fatherom one more thing before I go and grab a beer, ;) did you say you had a flat matt white screen?

What happens if you put some grey cloth up where the text is? Does it change the effect?
Haven't tried gray cloth, but I tried white paper at home, and a totally different screen at my work office...same streaks.

·
Registered
28,836 Posts
Even one report is not zero. Streaking is streaking, which ever way you cut the cloth and from whatever colour, but I get your point. :) :D
I am just saying, the blue streaking, I think is something different. White streaking has been reported on JVC, Sony and Epson projectors for several years, never any blue streaking. Blue streaking is something new. I think it is a different issue. As far as the streaking goes, if you see it from your seat, when actually watching movie content, then it is an issue. If you don't, then really it is a non issue.

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
That is interesting info. Many thanks. :)
The key summary is that closing a lens iris may increase on/off contrast measurements but it may not increase image contrast for a vast majority of scenes and may in fact decrease image contrast for many brighter scenes due to lower ANSI contrast.

On/Off contrast is not the only measure of image contrast and there is no free lunch.

It is a mistake to continue to use on/off contrast numbers as a proxy for image contrast. The CRT folks realized that fact 25 years ago.

·
Registered
760 Posts
I’ll keep an eye for blue streaking when I get mine. Never noticed anything with my 320 even though I tend to focus from time to time to technical aspects of the picture when watching content. But I never look for discrepancies with patterns and stuff, aside from convergence with the panel alignment pattern. I get that some people get interested/worried with such things but every display has its flaws. Including LCDs and OLEDs. I think it is even worse with backlighted panels, and that’s also the reason why I won’t switch back to such displays. Even a friend of mine who knows nothing about technics and who never goes to forums saw banding and clouding with its last LCD and OLED with actual content.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Even one report is not zero. Streaking is streaking, which ever way you cut the cloth and from whatever colour, but I get your point. /forum/images/smilies/smile.gif /forum/images/smilies/biggrin.gif
I am just saying, the blue streaking, I think is something different. White streaking has been reported on JVC, Sony and Epson projectors for several years, never any blue streaking. Blue streaking is something new. I think it is a different issue. As far as the streaking goes, if you see it from your seat, when actually watching movie content, then it is an issue. If you don't, then really it is a non issue.
but what's your reasoning to think it's a different issue when it behaves exactly the same.

Also, do you have an image file of that oppo screen?

·
Premium Member
4,039 Posts
I’ll keep an eye for blue streaking when I get mine. Never noticed anything with my 320 even though I tend to focus from time to time to technical aspects of the picture when watching content. But I never look for discrepancies with patterns and stuff, aside from convergence with the panel alignment pattern. I get that some people get interested/worried with such things but every display has its flaws. Including LCDs and OLEDs. I think it is even worse with backlighted panels, and that’s also the reason why I won’t switch back to such displays. Even a friend of mine who knows nothing about technics and who never goes to forums saw banding and clouding with its last LCD and OLED with actual content.

Be prepared to be blown away, that I guarantee. You'll want to throw out the window what you know about settings, the VW760 will be much brighter, for that reason you'll adjust accordingly . Brightness slider for HDR I'd start around 54 range, probably lower for your screen size and gain .SDR you'll want to keep brightness below 40 for sure, probably in the 35 range. :p

Reactions: Archibald1

·
Registered
113 Posts
Be prepared to be blown away, that I guarantee. You'll want to throw out the window what you know about settings, the VW760 will be much brighter, for that reason you'll adjust accordingly . Brightness slider for HDR I'd start around 54 range, probably lower for your screen size and gain .SDR you'll want to keep brightness below 40 for sure, probably in the 35 range. :p
For what its worth, brightness slider is for setting black level. Not adjusting brightness. And contrast slider is for setting white level.
If brightness slider is set too low you loose detail near black.

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
For what its worth, brightness slider is for setting black level. Not adjusting brightness. And contrast slider is for setting white level.
Yes and that is one problem with not having an iris. With an iris you can control the overall brightness of the image without effecting the black level and white level settings. Without an iris you have to control the overall image brightness with the brightness control which ideally should be used primarily for the black level setting not controlling image brightness.

RoxieDog, Does the 885 have a laser gain control in addition to the brightness control? In other words can you set the output brightness lower by turning down a laser gain control, rather than limiting the output with the brightness control? I would think that it probably does but I don't have a laser projector. I only wish I did.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Yes and that is one problem with not having an iris. With an iris you can control the overall brightness of the image without effecting the black level and white level settings. Without an iris you have to control the overall image brightness with the brightness control which ideally should be used primarily for the black level setting not controlling image brightness.

RoxieDog, Does the 885 have a laser gain control in addition to the brightness control? In other words can you set the output brightness lower by turning down a laser gain control, rather than limiting the output with the brightness control? I would think that it probably does but I don't have a laser projector. I only wish I did.
Yes it has a laser gain control.

·
Registered
4,243 Posts

You can manually adjust the light output by setting the laser level to a lower output if you want lower brightness.

·
Registered
760 Posts
You can manually adjust the light output by setting the laser level to a lower output if you want lower brightness.

For what I understand, laser output can be adjusted and should behave in the same way as an iris. Dynamic laser control should (in theory) also behave like dynamic iris but that depends on how Sony implemented it. I read that some users complained that dynamic laser control could be improved but a guy here said that it was fine, according to Sony. I guess there is not much to improve considering the actual hardware then. I’m pretty much sure now that we won’t see any improvement with a future update. That don’t mean it doesn’t result in excellent results :) I guess Sony had a decent time tweaking those settings with the 5000 in order to provide the best settings at launch with the 760. In the end Sony don’t get too shy to provide updates if it is needed.

·
Premium Member
4,039 Posts

I think most do understand the function of the brightness slider as black level , I'm sure many still confuse this , the way it is identified no wonder. It's called brightness not black level.

This projector has to be adjusted appropriately for black level, compared to the settings I used on my VW675 it is much lower . Set appropriately from there the dynamic works as it should , and it does.

On all the last few Sony projectors I have owned contrast ( white level) is always 100% or very close .

Reactions: rola

·
Premium Member
4,039 Posts
For what I understand, laser output can be adjusted and should behave in the same way as an iris. Dynamic laser control should (in theory) also behave like dynamic iris but that depends on how Sony implemented it. I read that some users complained that dynamic laser control could be improved but a guy here said that it was fine, according to Sony. I guess there is not much to improve considering the actual hardware then. I’m pretty much sure now that we won’t see any improvement with a future update. That don’t mean it doesn’t result in excellent results :) I guess Sony had a decent time tweaking those settings with the 5000 in order to provide the best settings at launch with the 760. In the end Sony don’t get too shy to provide updates if it is needed.

If you set the black level ( brightness) too high as I have seen suggested the image will be washed out , dynamic dimming will appear to have little effect. Set up correctly , the dynamic iris works well . I've seen suggestions that black level( brightness) should be 60, if you do , the image will be terrible . I encourage you to play with it and see for yourself. I don't need a pattern to determine if black crush is occurring, I can see this immediately, not just on darker objects either, it affects the entire image .

Reactions: Archibald1 and rola

·
Premium Member
4,039 Posts

Exactly, lower brightness with the laser. For HDR I run between 60-80% laser, 100% for me is too bright . For SDR even lower laser, anywhere from 40-70 depending on the movie . Now, I do run a anamorphic lens and higher gain screen , a 135" scope . Depending on screen size and gain, room environment , throw distance , with or without the A-lens all factors in, all have to be considered . I'm also using a Lumagen Pro for HDR tone mapping, IMHO this feature is now the jewel for this product . Compared to what I can achieve with the projector alone it's not close, HDR simply comes to life using the Lumagen , images just seem much brighter and balanced overall , the difference is huge . I'm sure great results are also possible with curves, so far I have not had the time to compare .

2641 - 2660 of 6735 Posts