AVS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 7624 Posts

·
.NET Solution Architect
979 Posts
Thank goodness for starting this thread! Tired of the compares. What initial settings are folks using? Mine is coming in the next week or so.... SJ

User or Film 1 mode,
laser 70 or 80,
RC ON 40
Gamma 2.4
hdr auto
dynamic contrast full
contrast enhancer medium or full
D65
Brightness 50-51
Contrast 99-max

Reactions: roxiedog13

·
.NET Solution Architect
979 Posts
The owners of that unit and LumagenPro with 18Ghz output modules, can you please test, that your Lumagen recognizes sony as 18Ghz capable display unit? At the moment my Lumagen Pro accepts 18Ghz no problem, but cannot see that Sony is capable of 18Ghz, therefore output is always limited to YCbCr 4:2:0 8 bit at [email protected] Tried 3 cables and set Sony all HDMI Inputs to Enhanced, but no luck. Already reported 128 bytes of EDID from Sony to Lumagen support team so they investigating, but wanted if someone has those two units can check? Thank you.

·
.NET Solution Architect
979 Posts
Didn't know we should start a separate thread, I would start this when Arrow had his unit :D

Reactions: roxiedog13

·
.NET Solution Architect
979 Posts
It’s an amazing projector!!! I will post a link to my Review here when it is complete!
Yeah its definitely is.
My son loves Cars cartoon in SDR, and upscaling Sony RC processing is mega.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Thanks for posting this. Have you checked the black level for UHD and 709 with that brightness setting? As I said above, with 50 I get only down to about 5% on UHD/HDR so I had to crank it to 62 or so and then it was good to 0.5% and 709 was set correctly as well. This is with Reference Picture Mode and laser on 80. Maybe the Lumagen is correcting??

User or Film 1 mode,
laser 70 or 80,
RC ON 40
Gamma 2.4
hdr auto
dynamic contrast full
contrast enhancer medium or full
D65
Brightness 50-51
Contrast 99-max

·
Premium Member
4,091 Posts
Thank goodness for starting this thread! Tired of the compares. What initial settings are folks using? Mine is coming in the next week or so.... SJ
I just learned mine is not coming until next week as well, not happy about that. I wanted to have this installed and ready long before the X-mas break when family arrive . Will be happy enough to have this
for the holidays at all now, 3 months no projector is a long time .:(

·
Premium Member
4,091 Posts
The owners of that unit and LumagenPro with 18Ghz output modules, can you please test, that your Lumagen recognizes sony as 18Ghz capable display unit? At the moment my Lumagen Pro accepts 18Ghz no problem, but cannot see that Sony is capable of 18Ghz, therefore output is always limited to YCbCr 4:2:0 8 bit at [email protected] Tried 3 cables and set Sony all HDMI Inputs to Enhanced, but no luck. Already reported 128 bytes of EDID from Sony to Lumagen support team so they investigating, but wanted if someone has those two units can check? Thank you.
You may want to post this in the VW5000 forum as that projector has the same xtreme processor as the VW885 and many owners there also have the Lumagen pro . Either way I'm sure Jim Peterson will get you through this soon enough
help to find the issues . I'm obviously interested in the outcome of your problems as I actually installed the same 18gbs cards in my Lumagen Pro a couple of weeks back and have the same projector on the way . For reference though , I
let a friend borrow my Lumagen with the new boards installed , tested with the JVC RS600 which has 18gbs HDMI . He used this without issue.

·
Premium Member
4,091 Posts

·
.NET Solution Architect
979 Posts
Thanks for posting this. Have you checked the black level for UHD and 709 with that brightness setting? As I said above, with 50 I get only down to about 5% on UHD/HDR so I had to crank it to 62 or so and then it was good to 0.5% and 709 was set correctly as well. This is with Reference Picture Mode and laser on 80. Maybe the Lumagen is correcting??
Correct, it purely depends on Contrast Enhancer setting, if you set it to off, blacks will be leveled up if you set brightness to 60, so I find with Contrast Enhancer set to full, Brightness 50
Then in Lumagen I do adjust black level to 0.50 to regain back details, you need to use Adjustable pattern.
First you set your brightness in Reference pattern, but remember changing Contrast Enhancer at Sony will directly impact on the black level adjusting.
Then when you are happy I do fine tune in Adjustable pattern via Lumagen setting black.
I don't use internal PJ tone mapping for HDR, therefore I don't have this problem, but I guess you'll need to use HDR10 test patterns for adjusting black, as no doubt settings will be different.

Reactions: Sparky12

·
Registered
187 Posts
So I’m having a little issue with zooming mine. When I set my Oppo 205 to project Source Direct and my 885 to 2:35:1 zoo I get a ton of image spill over on the top and bottom. When I blank the top and bottom it cuts off 10% of the image on each side when I get the width set for the zoom. What am I doing wrong? On my old set up I use my A lens to correct the letter box. I’m not seeing the letter box on my image to zoom out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Premium Member
4,091 Posts
Australia.

I was told there was stock allocated in Japan. And it would take a week to arrive if I put my order in today.
Put in your order today !! :eeksurprise:

Good luck with that . My friends that just ordered have been told two months, there is a long list of back-orders, for all Sony as I understand .

You may have to go higher up on this if you want for Christmas, the fat guy in the red suit is the one I recommend . ;)

·
.NET Solution Architect
979 Posts
So I’m having a little issue with zooming mine. When I set my Oppo 205 to project Source Direct and my 885 to 2:35:1 zoo I get a ton of image spill over on the top and bottom. When I blank the top and bottom it cuts off 10% of the image on each side when I get the width set for the zoom. What am I doing wrong? On my old set up I use my A lens to correct the letter box. I’m not seeing the letter box on my image to zoom out.

This content is not 2.35:1, its more like 16:9 therefore you need to use 1.78:1 zoom not 2.35 ;)

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
Put in your order today !! :eeksurprise:

Good luck with that . My friends that just ordered have been told two months, there is a long list of back-orders, for all Sony as I understand .

You may have to go higher up on this if you want for Christmas, the fat guy in the red suit is the one I recommend . ;)
I know. I was told 2-3 weeks initially. But they said they could make it happen.

If it doesn't get here in 1 week...

·
Registered
637 Posts

Michael bay uses multiple aspect ratios in this film:

1.90 : 1 (most scenes)
2.00 : 1 (most scenes)
2.28 : 1 (letterboxed) (some shots)
2.39 : 1 (letterboxed) (one shot)

·
Registered
7,876 Posts
Hi there.

That is an extremely interesting finding.
I am (and many others I am sure) very interested to find out if it is in fact 18Gbps capable which in my view all their projectors from 2015/16 onwards should have been anyway.

Cheers.

·
Eyes and Ears Thriller
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
I'll tell you what, Sony needs their ass kicked for this projector. I am completely blown away with the performance of the 885 out the box. My wife is also. We can't believe that the 885 provides so much more of a performance increase over the 675. And it's an immediate and very noticeable difference. I wasn't expecting that at all. The colors are far more vibrant, the blacks are much darker, the entire image is super crisp and razor sharp but super smooth and silky at the same time. Unfreakingbelievable. You just have to see it. I was worried that the extra $10K wouldn't be justified based on the comments I've read on other threads. But hey, I have no idea what those people saw. Maybe something was a little off with the European units because I don't see any of what I read about on my unit but the hint of green on the pixel patterns. My wife kept talking about how black the black is and it is... black. It kind of messes with your head a little it looks so good.

Everything we've played on it is like watching it for the first time. The 3D is phenomenal. Damn near 4D at times. If 3D looked like this in the theater, there is absolutely no way it would have fell out of popularity. And the lens is a significant improvement over the 675. All this time I thought I was just getting old because I would see some odd things when trying to focus and find the sweet spot. A little blur, bloom, etc. Not with this one. Crisp from corner to corner. So sharp in fact, it took me hardly no time to dial the image in.

When going through the Disney WOW disc, I did notice a touch of the green moire that people were talking about on certain pixel patterns but haven't decided if I wanted the fix done or not because I don't want to mess up the Black Levels. If I could just get rid of the green and leave every other setting intact until Chad B blows this way, I will do it. It will only make the image the 885 produces even better. Chime in if you know the answer to this.

Also, on another note, for those of you who want to try it. Change your Bright TV setting to the HDR settings Dave Harper came up with for the 675. I was surprised it worked so well on the 885 also. The Harpervision tweak is shockingly impressive and made The Revenant look far better and brighter over the stock HDR settings. I even game on my PS4 Pro with these settings. Eye candy for sure. You can find them here: The HarperVision Experience.

More to come.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Thanks yes, I used both the Masciola black level pattern for UHD and the AVS disc black level pattern for 709. I'll check Contrast Enhancer again as I thought I checked for that but maybe I was thinking of the laser's dynamic control instead.

I don't have a Lumagen but am thinking about it. I don't know much about HDR yet and am trying to understand the relationship between it being just another gamma curve and the "meta-data" stuff. If you substitute the Lumagen or one of those HDR curves posted by Peter do they work just as well in terms of the meta data or is that lost by not using the pj for the HDR10/HDR10 Reference? (With the Lumagen I assume you turn gamma in the pj off?) Thanks again.

Correct, it purely depends on Contrast Enhancer setting, if you set it to off, blacks will be leveled up if you set brightness to 60, so I find with Contrast Enhancer set to full, Brightness 50
Then in Lumagen I do adjust black level to 0.50 to regain back details, you need to use Adjustable pattern.
First you set your brightness in Reference pattern, but remember changing Contrast Enhancer at Sony will directly impact on the black level adjusting.
Then when you are happy I do fine tune in Adjustable pattern via Lumagen setting black.
I don't use internal PJ tone mapping for HDR, therefore I don't have this problem, but I guess you'll need to use HDR10 test patterns for adjusting black, as no doubt settings will be different.

21 - 40 of 7624 Posts