AVS Forum banner

4221 - 4240 of 7610 Posts

·
Registered
984 Posts
Does lightspace do Autocal for Sony projector ?
Sony does not have an autocal like JVC or the tone mapping capability like you see in Panasonic or the new JVCs (as I have read about it anyway). Sony Calibration Pro does have a step-through process where, if you hook your pc up to the projector, it will manually step you through gamma and colorspace and upload that to the projector. You can also use their advanced gamma tool in Calibration Pro or Image Director to manually adjust the gamma. You can use LightSpace similarly with the new added export function where it will generate a 1D LUT that you can then import through Image Director to the Sony. That is what we are talking about here. So you need to use LS to characterize or do a limited profile, create the LUT, export that in ID format and then import that to Sony. All in all once you know what you are doing it goes pretty fast (ten to fifteen minutes).

·
Registered
984 Posts
Just for giggles and to give an idea of what these 760's can produce when they work correctly, here are a few of pics from various 4K Blu-Ray movies.

Enjoy!
Right you are! WW and JL were the first movies I watched after doing the LS 1DLUT thing and they looked spectacular. Better than anything I have done by hand by a very wide margin.

·
Registered
452 Posts
I think my version is HTP so yes for that in the family of Home Cinema Display products.
Excellent - once I’m back on my feet in a week or two, and can actually physically get downstairs to my home theatre, I’ll give it a go.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Sony does not have an autocal like JVC or the tone mapping capability like you see in Panasonic or the new JVCs (as I have read about it anyway). Sony Calibration Pro does have a step-through process where, if you hook your pc up to the projector, it will manually step you through gamma and colorspace and upload that to the projector. You can also use their advanced gamma tool in Calibration Pro or Image Director to manually adjust the gamma. You can use LightSpace similarly with the new added export function where it will generate a 1D LUT that you can then import through Image Director to the Sony. That is what we are talking about here. So you need to use LS to characterize or do a limited profile, create the LUT, export that in ID format and then import that to Sony. All in all once you know what you are doing it goes pretty fast (ten to fifteen minutes).
Hi, is there any tutorial explaining how the gamma settings are working with image director or calibration pro ?

·
Registered
984 Posts
Hi, is there any tutorial explaining how the gamma settings are working with image director or calibration pro ?
Not really but it is pretty simple to figure out. Once you connect the s/w shows you a graph with a gamma curve on it and you grab and pull/push or use the arrow keys to move the dots, each dot representing a gamma point. Select whatever curve you want to adjust from the drop-down box. You can always reset to the f/w in-built curve but once you start tweaking it is good to back things up when you get to a point you like what you see but want to tweak a bit more; there is no auto backup and there is a setting to do everything in real time so you can write over what you have done if you aren't careful. I found Image Director harder to use from a GUI perspective but it will give you better results once you start using it as it has more adjustment points; it will also let you adjust Gamma 7 - 10 which Cal Pro will not do.

·
Premium Member
23,962 Posts
Hi all

Could someone please point me to right direction regarding the latest Sony pro calibration software that is compatible with the Sony Vpl 885/995 ?

Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
394 Posts
Am building a dedicated theater space in a new house I just purchased this year.

Have decided, that I wanted to upgrade the projector in the space, though I was initially planning on waiting... I just cant lol /shrug

SO I am currently deciding whether or not I should be going with the rs4500 OR if I should be going with the 885ES.

Its a choice between these 2 projectors, because I have a connection at a dealer and these are the 2 projectors that he can get at a very large discount from a supplier with whom we have a very long working relationship. I dont know if it is frowned upon to give prices, but I can get the 885es for 16000 tax included, or get the RS4500 for 24000 tax included.

Now I am projecting onto a 150" 2.31:1 screen. Room is 100% light controlled, with proper painting/decor for optimum projector performance.

I also am thinking I need to buy a paladin dcr lens to go with whichever projector I choose. I also am going to be using a Panasonic820ub as my 4k player.

I know so much about projected images is subjective, but looking for opinions/suggestions...as I am spending roughly $50,000 on this room and want peak performance and dont want to regret my purchase by next year.

·
Registered
7,760 Posts
Am building a dedicated theater space in a new house I just purchased this year.

Have decided, that I wanted to upgrade the projector in the space, though I was initially planning on waiting... I just cant lol /shrug

SO I am currently deciding whether or not I should be going with the rs4500 OR if I should be going with the 885ES.

Its a choice between these 2 projectors, because I have a connection at a dealer and these are the 2 projectors that he can get at a very large discount from a supplier with whom we have a very long working relationship. I dont know if it is frowned upon to give prices, but I can get the 885es for 16000 tax included, or get the RS4500 for 24000 tax included.

Now I am projecting onto a 150" 2.31:1 screen. Room is 100% light controlled, with proper painting/decor for optimum projector performance.

I also am thinking I need to buy a paladin dcr lens to go with whichever projector I choose. I also am going to be using a Panasonic820ub as my 4k player.

I know so much about projected images is subjective, but looking for opinions/suggestions...as I am spending roughly $50,000 on this room and want peak performance and dont want to regret my purchase by next year.
Hi.
That is a toughie, especially with the prices you could get these for. I think the Z1 won't be 8k better than the 760.
Also it is nearly twice the mass at nearly 40Kg and the 885 is 'only' 20Kg.
One thing some have said is the limit of screen size for the lumens on offer.

So in that respect I think the 3000 lumen Z1 will light up your 150" screen better than the 760's 2000 and HDR will therefore have more impact.

My guess is both these models will be replaced this September/October time so that may be something you want to factor in.

You won't regret either of them though if you must buy soon.

My 760 is nice and sharp and looks great (I put some pics on the previous page of this thread for indicative purposes only of course and they look even better to the eye) but the lens of 760's in general is not as good as the Z1 lens, which remains one of the best out there at the moment.

Good luck and have fun choosing. It is one of the best parts. :D:cool:

Reactions: markmon1

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
I have an opportunity to pick up an 885es demo projector for about $15K Canadian. I believe this is a pretty good deal.

I'd be coming from a JVC x970R.

Could anyone who has seen both tell me about what I will notice most in picture quality between these two projectors?
The difference in cost after selling my x970R is still going to be $12K+ so the difference in pq has to be positively astounding.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Hi.
That is a toughie, especially with the prices you could get these for. I think the Z1 won't be 8k better than the 760.
Also it is nearly twice the mass at nearly 40Kg and the 885 is 'only' 20Kg.
One thing some have said is the limit of screen size for the lumens on offer.

So in that respect I think the 3000 lumen Z1 will light up your 150" screen better than the 760's 2000 and HDR will therefore have more impact.

My guess is both these models will be replaced this September/October time so that may be something you want to factor in.

You won't regret either of them though if you must buy soon.

My 760 is nice and sharp and looks great (I put some pics on the previous page of this thread for indicative purposes only of course and they look even better to the eye) but the lens of 760's in general is not as good as the Z1 lens, which remains one of the best out there at the moment.

Good luck and have fun choosing. It is one of the best parts. :D:cool:
Size/weight is actually something I had not taken into account, as this is going to be ceiling mounted...
I think that alone is going to push me to the Sony 885 with the Paladin DCR lens which will hopefully give the 885 the added oomf enough to fill my 150".

I dont know how much additional costs would be to make it possible to hang that RS4500 from the ceiling.

·
Banned
6,553 Posts
Size/weight is actually something I had not taken into account, as this is going to be ceiling mounted...

I think that alone is going to push me to the Sony 885 with the Paladin DCR lens which will hopefully give the 885 the added oomf enough to fill my 150".

I dont know how much additional costs would be to make it possible to hang that RS4500 from the ceiling.

There’s also the BenQ LK970 or 990 you could consider for that sized screen if you’re looking for as good or better lens, Sony VW5000ES type Brightness (great for HDR!), sharpness and image detail, but less very low native black and contrast performance due to being a DLP.

·
Super Moderator
JVC RS4500 | ST130 G4 135" | MRX 720 | MC303 MC152 | 6.1.4: B&W 802D3, 805D3, 702S2 | 4x15 IB Subs
10,608 Posts

·
Super Moderator
JVC RS4500 | ST130 G4 135" | MRX 720 | MC303 MC152 | 6.1.4: B&W 802D3, 805D3, 702S2 | 4x15 IB Subs
10,608 Posts
I have an opportunity to pick up an 885es demo projector for about $15K Canadian. I believe this is a pretty good deal.

I'd be coming from a JVC x970R.

Could anyone who has seen both tell me about what I will notice most in picture quality between these two projectors?
The difference in cost after selling my x970R is still going to be $12K+ so the difference in pq has to be positively astounding.
Coming from JVC. What do you like about your JVC?

You will find the 885ES will be:
1) Way calmer. You will find your x970R busy in comparison
2) The 885ES will be brighter and everything will pop more.
3) You will find the 885ES decently sharper. Not just because its native 4K but because reality creation processing is awesome. This assumes you're not sitting way too far back.
4) You will find motion is way better on the 885ES than the x970R.
5) You will find that the 885ES syncs way faster on HDMI changes. Real fast. Instead of 15 seconds, try 3-5 seconds.
6) You will not hear any e-shift noise ever again.
7) You will love true fade to blacks
8) You will find dark scenes far better on the JVC. But only really dark scenes. Night time city scenes will be as good.

For most people this would be a great upgrade and you're getting a great price.

·
Registered
7,760 Posts
Coming from JVC. What do you like about your JVC?

You will find the 885ES will be:
1) Way calmer. You will find your x970R busy in comparison
2) The 885ES will be brighter and everything will pop more.
3) You will find the 885ES decently sharper. Not just because its native 4K but because reality creation processing is awesome. This assumes you're not sitting way too far back.
4) You will find motion is way better on the 885ES than the x970R.
5) You will find that the 885ES syncs way faster on HDMI changes. Real fast. Instead of 15 seconds, try 3-5 seconds.
6) You will not hear any e-shift noise ever again.
7) You will love true fade to blacks
8) You will find dark scenes far better on the JVC. But only really dark scenes. Night time city scenes will be as good.

For most people this would be a great upgrade and you're getting a great price.
And that right there is pretty spot on actually!

Seriously though, I think Markmond has had his account hacked..... ;):D:D:D:D

Reactions: markmon1
4221 - 4240 of 7610 Posts