AVS Forum banner
5401 - 5420 of 14517 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
I don't know if it's in my head but since the last update it seems like the picture has more contrast. Almost like Xdr is activated on very low. I'm not going to complain to my eyes it looks better.
Yeah, I'm noticing the same thing too. Check out Edge in 4K HDR on Amazon because it will blow you away!

If a 4k HDR stream can look this good imagine how Blu-Ray HDR will look on the 930C.

·
Registered
233 Posts
LOL! that was a good one. :)

The problem I had with the EF9500 is that with a white background there is a light pink color on the side. I exchanged a second time and this time the vignetting is strong for my taste. It is a known issue on some panels, not all. Like I mentioned before, i will miss the true blacks. It is incredible nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I am very lucky as I got a great EF9500. Looking at other options I can only see the 950B or 940C. Samsung js9500 is curved with poor off axis and 930c is very nice the problem is the blacks are not even close to the other three choices. If there was a 65X940C they would sell a ton of them

·
Registered
33,705 Posts
Interesting. What kind of issues did you have? Did you notice any motion issues or other video artifacting? Just curious. The speakers on the 930 do look pretty high quality, definitely not run of the mill. Sony is actually making high end audiophile speakers these days that sell for $20,000-30,000. I would imagine as others have said, add a subwoofer and I'll bet the sound from this tv is awesome. Have you considered getting the 940c and getting rid of the wife? Thanks. Regards. Ned.
The LG OLED pages are filled with issues. It seems that 80% of the thread is devoted to yellow banding and near black issues. It seems the yellow banding has largely been solved, but luminance values near zero (dark movies or scenes) are still plagued by a darkening on the left & right sides of the screen. There's a high degree of variability that also exists from panel to panel. So this is indeed an OLED panel lottery.

I used to read the thread quite a bit, but found it too depressing with all the reported problems.

·
Registered
804 Posts
The LG OLED pages are filled with issues. It seems that 80% of the thread is devoted to yellow banding and near black issues. It seems the yellow banding has largely been solved, but luminance values near zero (dark movies or scenes) are still plagued by a darkening on the left & right sides of the screen. There's a high degree of variability that also exists from panel to panel. So this is indeed an OLED panel lottery.

I used to read the thread quite a bit, but found it too depressing with all the reported problems.
Do you still own any of your Pioneer Elite plasmas? I find it interesting to move back and forth between my Elite 151 and my new 950b in my basement system. Definitely see lots of the merits of the 950b with upscaling to 4K but the lack of any video artifacting stuff or motion issues often leans me toward the Pioneer. I have yet to watch any 4K material yet as sacrilegious as that might sound. Up scaled material can be pretty impressive. My main viewing panel is still the Pioneer as it is in our den mounted on the wall. I always regretted not buying one of the last gen Elites, they were supposed to be even better. Regards. Ned.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Do you still own any of your Pioneer Elite plasmas? I find it interesting to move back and forth between my Elite 151 and my new 950b in my basement system. Definitely see lots of the merits of the 950b with upscaling to 4K but the lack of any video artifacting stuff or motion issues often leans me toward the Pioneer. I have yet to watch any 4K material yet as sacrilegious as that might sound. Up scaled material can be pretty impressive. My main viewing panel is still the Pioneer as it is in our den mounted on the wall. I always regretted not buying one of the last gen Elites, they were supposed to be even better. Regards. Ned.
I still have a KRP-600M and 500M. The 940C is in my living room and the 500M is in the bedroom. Last year I attempted to replace / upgrade the 600M to first a 900B and then went through 3 defective (2 were broke in transit) 950B's until I got one without issues but I ended up returning it too because it couldn't match the 600M's picture quality. I am pretty sure I am black balled temporarily for getting a good TV deal at that store for the bear future.

For 1080P content the the Pioneer Plasmas are king if you can live with the size. If not you need to make some sacrifices when moving to LCD. In all honesty the 55EA9800 OLED was the only thing that really impressed me vs the plasma, but I couldn't live with 55". I may replace the 600M in the man cave with an OLED next spring depending on the response times for gaming.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
344 Posts
We've got UltraFlix now! Free Terminator Genysis in 4K. I also think they updated the YouTube app, as y can select resolutions up to 4K now manually. I haven't tried YouTube for several updates, so this might have already been in there,

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
What is UltraFlix? Is it free? And are all the films 4K?

·
Registered
33,705 Posts
No, both my Kuros are long gone. I had the Samsung 64" F8500 plasma, and although the black levels were a tad higher than the Kuro's, the Samsung's brightness was worlds better. That gave an overall better impact, IMO, than the Kuro.

Moving to the 940c brought better black levels, far greater brightness, better color, 4K, HDR and a far larger screen size. All in all, a huge jump up in PQ. It's also nice not to have the dithering that can be seen in plasmas.

·
Registered
234 Posts

I haven't actually seen much artifacting on 950b, with smooth gradation set to high

·
Rabid 3-D Aficionado
1,575 Posts
For anyone who hasn't figured it out yet, you need to have your input set to an HDMI input before Twin Picture will do anything. Primarily, it is used to view something OTA while you're viewing something over HDMI.

Unlike previous Sony remotes that had PIP controls, you now need to use the Action Menu. With "Twin Picture" active, you will see a new menu in the Action menu. This gives you the ability to move the active window to the left or right, and change its size (only two sizes, large and small - there is no user adjusting of the size). The Twin Picture menu is also how you flip the inputs from one window to the other.
I have to believe TP just hasn't been fully implemented yet. I mean how many of us actually watch any OTA content at all? Perhaps I would should my cable provider go down for an extended period.

·
Premium Member
12,597 Posts
Watched San Andreas last night and Smooth was a bit much, sometimes the movement was "whoa". I ended up swapping to true cinema halfway thru and did not change back. I see the judder with True Cinema, but that's natural, some of the movement with smooth on is not!

Odd, you don't really see that in 60hz stuff, but some of the reviews have noted these Sony's look too Soapy on 24hz sources with anything other than Off or True Cinema.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Here in Europe we always walk behind when it comes to software update's, since the last update (PKG2.37.0052EUB) here,I have connection/handshake problems with the HDMI input of the FMP-X5
I often need to get out the powerplug from the x940c, in order to get the connection.....
Anyone know what is causing this problem?

·
Premium Member
12,597 Posts
No, but I know mine has an issue whenever I put in a blu-ray and start it (Sony blu-ray player). It seems to be the transition from a 60hz source to a 24hz source. It has only locked once, but I get a black screen for a bit every time.

Reactions: papaleo

·
Premium Member
12,597 Posts
Yeah, I'm noticing the same thing too. Check out Edge in 4K HDR on Amazon because it will blow you away!

If a 4k HDR stream can look this good imagine how Blu-Ray HDR will look on the 930C.
I still wonder if Sony isn't using the same sort of trickery Samsung does for letterbox movies (I forget what they call it) where they are able to dim the bars with the type of system they have in place.

I never would have thought I could watch this display in the dark, I mean I had a back light all ready and everything.

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
I still have my Pioneer Plasma Kuro Elite 151FD the 9th & last generation. I moved it to the bedroom when the 940 arrived. Even with it being professionally calibrated I'd have to say 940 looks as good or dare I say a bit better and it's 15 inches bigger.

I don't know if it's in my head but since the last update it seems like the picture has more contrast. Almost like Xdr is activated on very low. I'm not going to complain to my eyes it looks better.

I also feel after the update the picture seems to look better, but it's hard to say for sure. I will say that the You Tube 4K videos looked better than I remember. I am waiting to improve my internet speed before I get Amazon or Netflix as I have just the basic DSL thru AT&T. Plan on getting Comcast just for my internet.

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
What is UltraFlix? Is it free? And are all the films 4K?

I also am curious about UltraFlix I clicked on it and I was taken to there Log In screen. I decided that before I logged in I would check them out first. I had trouble getting out of that screen and finally just hit the TV button on the remote which always defaults to HDMI 3 (blue screen) which is what I am using for my bluray player and since the player is off so hence the blank blue screen. Maybe I should switch to the HDMI 3 input for my Direct TV that way it would go directly to TV viewing?

·
Premium Member
12,597 Posts
Anyone figured out cinemotion uses yet? Through my reading it seems it’s for interlaced sources and properly performing 3:2 pulldown with a reverse process. I have yet to turn it on, but it is next in line for experimentation.
Also, since Smooth was so bad on 24hz, I am going to try Standard out. It offers 600 lines of rez too, but I ASSume it is less aggressive than Smooth…

After some reading I figured out why Smooth is OK on 60hz, and total SOE on 24hz. 60hz content is flashed twice with a frame created each flash. 24hz content is flashed 5 times with a frame created each time. Just more frames which gives a cleaner look, but it is a little weird too.

5401 - 5420 of 14517 Posts