AVS Forum banner

5421 - 5440 of 14463 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
UltraFlix

I also am curious about UltraFlix I clicked on it and I was taken to there Log In screen. I decided that before I logged in I would check them out first. I had trouble getting out of that screen and finally just hit the TV button on the remote which always defaults to HDMI 3 (blue screen) which is what I am using for my bluray player and since the player is off so hence the blank blue screen. Maybe I should switch to the HDMI 3 input for my Direct TV that way it would go directly to TV viewing?
I believe the login for UltraFlix is simply horrible. Any error in entering text–not an uncommon occurrence when using cursor keys–intuitively requires the use the backspace to correct. This immediately crashes the system. To say nothing of the fact there are 2 keyboards visible and you can unexpectedly be switched from one to the other.

After FINALLY setting up the account, and getting through the bug-ridden front door, I had two thoughts: the selection of titles is impressive; the streaming quality (using 900 mbits/s fiber) is barely equal to Netflix UHD.

I'm really interested to read of other's experience.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Go Buckeyes!

1 - Launch the Amazon app
2 - using the ACTION MENU on the remote select "Picture adjustments" after the "Picture adjustments" menu opens you should see at the top, below "Picture adjustments" the term "Apps (video), this means this setting will be applied to streaming content.
3 - set the "Picture mode" to "Vivid" (this is just to provide the greatest contrast between Vivid and HDR modes)
4 - change the color setting to "Min" this will make it so non-HDR content will use the ""Vivid" picture mode and the content will be black and white.
5 - Play several non-HDR videos and you should see that they will all play in Black and White.
6 - Play the HDR version of "Red Oaks" and "Mozart In The Jungle" please note that it is not Black and White, it will use the HDR picture mode settings.

Or just change the HDR setting to have Color Min and if it is using HDR the TV will be using HDR mode and the video will be in Black and White.
Hmmm... I don't know if I can trust guidance from a University of Michigan supporter, particularly this week! :) All kidding aside - thank you and I will give it a try later today.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I believe the login for UltraFlix is simply horrible. Any error in entering text–not an uncommon occurrence when using cursor keys–intuitively requires the use the backspace to correct. This immediately crashes the system. To say nothing of the fact there are 2 keyboards visible and you can unexpectedly be switched from one to the other.

After FINALLY setting up the account, and getting through the bug-ridden front door, I had two thoughts: the selection of titles is impressive; the streaming quality (using 900 mbits/s fiber) is barely equal to Netflix UHD.

I used my PC to create an account on UltraFlix. Much smoother experience. You don't need to enter any credit card information in order to create an account. This allows you to browse around and see if there is anything you like. I did see that I could watch Terminator Genisys for free. I then logged into my UltraFlix account from the TV. Made a mistake entering my password and hit backspace. Had to re-enter account username to get back to the password line. Once I successfully logged in, all was well. I haven't watch Terminator Genisys yet, but do plan to in the future.

Reactions: brickyardz

·
Registered
330 Posts

I have 100mbps/100mbps and kept getting errors when loading the videos.

The App seems pretty bad if you ask me.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Hmmm... I don't know if I can trust guidance from a University of Michigan supporter, particularly this week! :) All kidding aside - thank you and I will give it a try later today.
Buckeyes, aren't those treats you grill up at Holiday times and crunch while watching the Michigan vs Ohio State football match-up?

You know if it weren't for Gadget Freak and his Noles Avatar I would have never thought to update mine...

I hope all is well with HDR.

·
Premium Member
12,441 Posts
LOL.

UR welcome.

Shirtless Harbaugh is going to bring home the W this weekend.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Interesting. What kind of issues did you have? Did you notice any motion issues or other video artifacting? Just curious. The speakers on the 930 do look pretty high quality, definitely not run of the mill. Sony is actually making high end audiophile speakers these days that sell for $20,000-30,000. I would imagine as others have said, add a subwoofer and I'll bet the sound from this tv is awesome. Have you considered getting the 940c and getting rid of the wife? Thanks. Regards. Ned.
The LG OLED pages are filled with issues. It seems that 80% of the thread is devoted to yellow banding and near black issues. It seems the yellow banding has largely been solved, but luminance values near zero (dark movies or scenes) are still plagued by a darkening on the left & right sides of the screen. There's a high degree of variability that also exists from panel to panel. So this is indeed an OLED panel lottery.

I used to read the thread quite a bit, but found it too depressing with all the reported problems.

I actually just sent my EF9500 back to LG. Same issues as stated above. Especially near black. I calibrated it with chromapure and a id3 pro 2 meter and from WB 15 on down I had to leave the settings to standard or the vinegretting and near black noise was horrific. Also LGs upscaling is not good. I just picked up a 930C as a replacement and have had it for a couple of days. I can tell you yes the blacks aren't as dark, but they aren't that bad either. The 930C makes up for a lot of problems that the LG OLED has. I just couldn't deal with paying 5K for a tv that has issues like that. Luckily LG customer service was good and I sent them some pics and they offered me a replacement or full refund. I took the refund because I just don't see a fix with their OLEDs anytime soon. Will wait a couple years until that technology is refined. I too wish they made the 65" 940C. 75" is too big for my living room.

·
Registered
137 Posts
My 940C got the PKG3 update today.

I haven't explored what is new yet, but you may want to document your settings before you apply it as there is a message when it is done that "some user settings may have changed"!

·
Registered
137 Posts
So how did you know the screen was in HDR mode? I'm still confused by this.

And as for the red comment, If my screen is indeed switching to HDR mode properly, then I agree, I tried watching The Amazing Spiderman 2 and felt like all the colors were way oversaturated and red was being pushed like crazy. But again I have no way of knowing if it was in HDR, the only sign is that if i press the menu buttont he screen goes blank and then the menu pops up, basically seems like the TV automatically jumps out of HDR mode whenever the menu is brought up.
Another, better, way to know you are in HDR mode is once watching known HDR content, go into picture adjustments and you will see that the picture mode is "HDR View".

·
Registered
191 Posts
Hello - About a year ago, I settled on the 850 b. Overall, not a bad set. I have never been fully satisfied with the brightness/vibrancy of the TV. But I have decided to sell it and will move to a JS9500 (because of brightness) or 940c. While I don't like the speaker set up on the 940c, I think its something that I could get used to. The 940c appears to be a lot brighter to my unprofessional eyes (compared to my current b) and the cost holds so much more value than the JS9500.

Sony may end up taking my money again.

Thanks for listening.

Freddie

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
Hello - About a year ago, I settled on the 850 b. Overall, not a bad set. I have never been fully satisfied with the brightness/vibrancy of the TV. But I have decided to sell it and will move to a JS9500 (because of brightness) or 940c. While I don't like the speaker set up on the 940c, I think its something that I could get used to. The 940c appears to be a lot brighter to my unprofessional eyes (compared to my current b) and the cost holds so much more value than the JS9500.

Thanks for listening.

Freddie
$3000.00 is a big difference between the Sony and the Samsung. I bought the Sony 940C and am very happy with the picture, not so much with the software as this TV has caused me to have to reboot a number of times to fix various issues.

·
Registered
191 Posts
$3000.00 is a big difference between the Sony and the Samsung. I bought the Sony 940C and am very happy with the picture, not so much with the software as this TV has caused me to have to reboot a number of times to fix various issues.
I'm glad you're happy with your 940c. You're right, 3k is a massive difference. And there seems to be a raging debate on which panel has a better picture. Hard to justify 3k for 3" and a curve.

I'm not looking forward to this android s/w. I hope sony cleans that up soon.

Thank you all,

Freddie

·
Registered
113 Posts

I thought it was simple and easy to use. Not that hard to enter log in info.

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
I thought it was simple and easy to use. Not that hard to enter log in info.
I agree, I didn't have any issue at all. I set up my account online, then logged into the app on the TV.

·
Registered
315 Posts

Thanks for listening.

Freddie
I went through the same choice, 9500 or x940c, honestly still deciding as I can still return my 940c. With the recent price drop and best buy giving me $1k back, it made it a little easier, $4.5k (what I paid for the TV) is a steal, even full price at 6k is great. The 9500 is pretty, it has some advantages to the x940c, the biggest being I believe it will last longer due to the One Connect box. Also I find colors on the Samsung to be just a hint deeper, hard to express, they just appear that way (both screens calibrated in a controlled viewing enviorment). Honestly even now I struggle a bit with the 940 to make colors feel vibrant while still natural. It often feels its either underplaying all colors or way over doing it (Living Color setting is crazy destructive to things even on low!). Also I feel the Samsung handles Ghosting/motion better, at least with less trails/ghosting on objects (but I feel this is a recent development, honest to god I think the newest firmware disabled the screens overdrive, will everyone else please take a look at the UFO test and confirm that it appears the motion blur is worse than how it was just a few days ago!?)

Regardless the 940c has some advantages too. I love that its flat (crazy that that needs to be a plus these days... has anyone ever met anyone who LIKED curved screens? Everyone I've ever talked to who's bought a 9500 or other cureved screen bought it DESPITE the curve, not because of it...)

Motion options are better on the 940c (not talking about ghosting or trailers, rather motion blur)
The TV turns on faster (stupid, but I'm suprised how slow the 9500 is turning on)
The x940c looks more epxensive and badass, probably because of the all black (though Its so easy to get finger prints on...)
The sound is pretty damn good out of the screen, though I never use the speakers thank to a sound system
X-dyanmicrange or whatever its called just looks damn good, everywhere. Its a setting to leave on, it doesnt destroy an image, it just adds some depth to it in the highlights. I love it, basically creates a bit of a HDR look.

This is a fair look at the difference I see with motion on the screens:

x930c (RTing hasnt done the 940c yet)

See that trail on the 930's picture? Its worse in person, and when playing games with a lot of black/grey in them, its SUPER noticeable, so much so I may return the screen. The samsung barely has any trailing on it.

This is completely independent of motion settings, its inherent to the pannel selection and overdrive settings. (in fact turning up the clarity makes the trails even more visiable as they standout more without the motion blur).

·
Premium Member
12,441 Posts
Ive done plenty of motion tests, and I dont see anything like that. My grey uniformity is not an issue either, so there are two points for me not to trust that site on.

Matter of fact, as I said here, MotionFlow Clear is cleaner than anything my VT50 ever did.

I'm also not sure why I should accept anything rtings.com says, sorry. Ive seen no proof that they arent fluff.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I'm considering the JS9500 as well. But after I checked out the X940c in store for the first time yesterday, I felt the color and the detail of the picture were simply incredible(tested in both the 4K demo and 720p/1080i espn live football match). True, the JS9500 has some very nice features like the more future-proofing OCB and a less buggy OS, but I felt that from a pure picture quality standpoint, the X940c is still very hard to replace. The accuracy and naturalness of Sony's color pretty much best any led tv I have seen so far. On the other hand for the JS9500, while the level of detail on the picture is great as well, I often found its color to be over saturated and doesn't look as natural as the Sony's. However, the only thing that was really bugging me was the 940c's size, while seeing it side by side with the 930c yesterday, it looked a LOT bigger that almost made the x930c look like a toy. Had Sony made a 65' version of X940c, I would have taken it without even a slightest doubt.

5421 - 5440 of 14463 Posts