AVS Forum banner

5441 - 5460 of 14467 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
I game regularly on my 930 and I have never noticed anything near that type of trail. My games look as pristine as a blu ray. If you are noticing that on your games, definitely check your settings. If not your settings, I would be making a call to Sony. My motion settings: Custom, Smoothness - 3, Clearness - 2, Cinemotion - High

·
Registered
191 Posts
Nice. I gave up on the LG OLED after reading about the input lag. I hope gaming on 940C is a great experience.

·
Registered
233 Posts
As there are multiple people considering the JS9500 verus the Sony 930 or 940. I owned the Js9500 and sold it for a loss. It is a three person tv and then the off axis destroys the picture rapidly. I am talking 3 people glued to echother. From what I have seen with the 930 at BB it looks much better in this regard. Also the curve is VERY bad with reflection.

I since went OLED but would pick a 930 or 940 over the Samsungs. I also had Major issue's keeping the dam Netflix app running on the JS9500 and so did many others if you do a Google search.

·
Registered
140 Posts
As there are multiple people considering the JS9500 verus the Sony 930 or 940. I owned the Js9500 and sold it for a loss. It is a three person tv and then the off axis destroys the picture rapidly. I am talking 3 people glued to echother. From what I have seen with the 930 at BB it looks much better in this regard. Also the curve is VERY bad with reflection.

I since went OLED but would pick a 930 or 940 over the Samsungs. I also had Major issue's keeping the dam Netflix app running on the JS9500 and so did many others if you do a Google search.
And I thought the viewing angle on the 930 was incredibly narrow. I sit approx 8-9 ft away on a 7 ft wide couch. Anything an inch over the width of the couch and the PQ quickly diminishes. Definitely will go OLED for the next family room TV and move the 930 into the bedroom since viewing angle isn't an issue.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Lol it's not the motion settings, trails like that have NOTHING to do with the image processing of motion, it's an inherent issue in the pixels transitioning from one position to another. Some panels do it better than others, and you can fix it a bit with voltage overdriving. Every 940 display unit I've run the ufo test on displays trails (it's at its most visible on a yellow background).

In real world application the only place I see it bad is in dark cave/indoor scenes in skyrim/fallout 4 (where the color pallet lends it self to these weaknesses). It pressers it self most visibly as a smearing of the blackest detail over into the lightest detail.

·
Premium Member
12,463 Posts
Lol it's not the motion settings, trails like that have NOTHING to do with the image processing of motion, it's an inherent issue in the pixels transitioning from one position to another. Some panels do it better than others, and you can fix it a bit with voltage overdriving. Every 940 display unit I've run the ufo test on displays trails (it's at its most visible on a yellow background).

In real world application the only place I see it bad is in dark cave/indoor scenes in skyrim/fallout 4 (where the color pallet lends it self to these weaknesses). It pressers it self most visibly as a smearing of the blackest detail over into the lightest detail.

:rolleyes:

Spears and Munsil 2 has side scrolling patterns just like the UFO, and I have not seen a problem. The VE 2015 Shootout gave the 940C high marks for motion from the experts and crowd, and HDTVTest gave it "best in class" as a display rating. So maybe the 940C just isnt for you.

·
Registered
11,754 Posts

An LCD with narrow viewing angles ohh the horror :rolleyes:

Reactions: gadgtfreek

·
Premium Member
12,463 Posts
And I thought the viewing angle on the 930 was incredibly narrow. I sit approx 8-9 ft away on a 7 ft wide couch. Anything an inch over the width of the couch and the PQ quickly diminishes. Definitely will go OLED for the next family room TV and move the 930 into the bedroom since viewing angle isn't an issue.
Im about 10 feet away from my 930, and a 3 person couch is about all you have before it washes out a little. My wife and I sit dead on and it looks great, but def a drawback of these LCD's.

·
Premium Member
12,463 Posts
An LCD with narrow viewing angles ohh the horror :rolleyes:
Yeah, I mean it surely hasn't been kept a classified secret over the years LOL

If you want an LCD with nice blacks, you are going to have a crappy view angle.

If you want an LCD with nice view angle, you are going to have crappy blacks.

·
Registered
11,754 Posts
Yeah, I mean it surely hasn't been kept a classified secret over the years LOL

If you want an LCD with nice blacks, you are going to have a crappy view angle.

If you want an LCD with nice view angle, you are going to have crappy blacks.

Exactly, unfortunately its a limitation of the technology. Depends on your priorities. I'll take the narrower viewing angle over abl, near black issues and yellow bands but that is just me.

·
Registered
75" Sony 950G. Sony PS4 Pro. Sony PS5 coming soon!
1,585 Posts
I went through the same choice, 9500 or x940c, honestly still deciding as I can still return my 940c. With the recent price drop and best buy giving me $1k back, it made it a little easier, $4.5k (what I paid for the TV) is a steal, even full price at 6k is great. The 9500 is pretty, it has some advantages to the x940c, the biggest being I believe it will last longer due to the One Connect box. Also I find colors on the Samsung to be just a hint deeper, hard to express, they just appear that way (both screens calibrated in a controlled viewing enviorment). Honestly even now I struggle a bit with the 940 to make colors feel vibrant while still natural. It often feels its either underplaying all colors or way over doing it (Living Color setting is crazy destructive to things even on low!). Also I feel the Samsung handles Ghosting/motion better, at least with less trails/ghosting on objects (but I feel this is a recent development, honest to god I think the newest firmware disabled the screens overdrive, will everyone else please take a look at the UFO test and confirm that it appears the motion blur is worse than how it was just a few days ago!?)

Regardless the 940c has some advantages too. I love that its flat (crazy that that needs to be a plus these days... has anyone ever met anyone who LIKED curved screens? Everyone I've ever talked to who's bought a 9500 or other cureved screen bought it DESPITE the curve, not because of it...)

Motion options are better on the 940c (not talking about ghosting or trailers, rather motion blur)
The TV turns on faster (stupid, but I'm suprised how slow the 9500 is turning on)
The x940c looks more epxensive and badass, probably because of the all black (though Its so easy to get finger prints on...)
The sound is pretty damn good out of the screen, though I never use the speakers thank to a sound system
X-dyanmicrange or whatever its called just looks damn good, everywhere. Its a setting to leave on, it doesnt destroy an image, it just adds some depth to it in the highlights. I love it, basically creates a bit of a HDR look.

This is a fair look at the difference I see with motion on the screens:

x930c (RTing hasnt done the 940c yet)

See that trail on the 930's picture? Its worse in person, and when playing games with a lot of black/grey in them, its SUPER noticeable, so much so I may return the screen. The samsung barely has any trailing on it.

This is completely independent of motion settings, its inherent to the pannel selection and overdrive settings. (in fact turning up the clarity makes the trails even more visiable as they standout more without the motion blur).
Have no idea why,buy Rtings has no plans to review the 940C, I contacted them about it.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Recent FW update for 930C/940C:

Sony has designed the BRAVIA® Televisions software update process to be customer friendly. This software update (version PKG3.017.0080NAB) provides the following benefits:

Improvements over version PKG2.475.0010NAB:

Adds Twin Picture (PAP function) support

Improves general software quality of the TV

Benefits provided by previous updates and included in version PKG3.017.0080NAB:

Improves general performance of the TV

Supports PlayMemories Online service

Supports PlayStation™ Now service

Improves Wi-Fi connectivity of the TV

Improves picture quality (dynamic range, noise reduction, sharpness)

Supports Netflix® streaming service (4K Models)

Improves Lip Sync for HDMI input

Improves performance and stability of the USB video playback features

Resolves a condition where a black screen and no sound may occur when an input changes from YouTube® to another input

Resolves a condition where a black screen may occur during USB video playback

Supports Internet based EPG (Electronic program guide)

Supports Netflix streaming service (2K Models)

Supports Amazon, Pandora®, and Crackle™ applications

Supports Force Reboot by holding down the Power key on the BT or IR remote controller

Improves performance and stability of overall UI operation

Improves performance and stability of the Action Menu

·
Registered
11,754 Posts
Ive done plenty of motion tests, and I dont see anything like that. My grey uniformity is not an issue either, so there are two points for me not to trust that site on.

Matter of fact, as I said here, MotionFlow Clear is cleaner than anything my VT50 ever did.

I'm also not sure why I should accept anything rtings.com says, sorry. Ive seen no proof that they arent fluff.

Their reviews are questionable at best, for example they reviewed the Js9500 with FALD off lol, I think that site is modeled to maximize internet clicks.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Their reviews are questionable at best, for example they reviewed the Js9500 with FALD off lol, I think that site is modeled to maximize internet clicks.
JS9500 scored lower than both the JS9000 and the JS8500 on the rtings, I don't see how this is possible in real life.

Reactions: chunon

·
Banned
34,843 Posts
Ordered 940c yesterday, will arrive 12/02.

Questions:

1) What is the latest FW?
2) Is burn-in required or a good thing to do?
3) Best initial settings?

Also, I will be attempting to run a Darbee Darblett with it.
Will there be problems?

·
Registered
191 Posts
Guys, I put my 65" 850 B on Craigslist....for $1300, I'm getting offers for $1100....should i bite? Taking a bath..i paid 3k when it came out. Getting real impatient as I want that 940 75" beast....any thoughts???

·
Registered
11,754 Posts
Guys, I put my 65" 850 B on Craigslist....for $1300, I'm getting offers for $1100....should i bite? Taking a bath..i paid 3k when it came out. Getting real impatient as I want that 940 75" beast....any thoughts???

List it in the classifieds here and I would stay firm on the price if that's what you need to get out of it. Craigslist is not the best venue for selling high end electronics in my experience.

·
Registered
191 Posts
List it in the classifieds here and I would stay firm on the price if that's what you need to get out of it. Craigslist is not the best venue for selling high end electronics in my experience.
chunon,

Thank you for your guidance. With the exception of your avatar; I like you a lot.

Freddie

Reactions: rcaballe
5441 - 5460 of 14467 Posts