AVS Forum banner

6121 - 6140 of 14463 Posts

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
Mt, yes, I have the 940c.

I woke up this morning and low and behold Amazon 4K videos are now working. Also the 4K HDR videos are working but I still can't get the HDR to work. It doesn't automatically select it and when I manually select it, it doesn't stay, soon as I go back to the show it reverts back to the Picture Mode I had it set on before I manually selected HDR. Also I noticed that the picture looks a bit dark and not what I expected 4K to look like, so I am wondering if I am even watching 4K even though it shows that it is Ultra HD and HDR in the description. I tried hitting the display button to see if it would show me the resolution but the display button doesn't work. Maybe the display information doesn't work with streaming? Ken, could you please let me know if the display button works for you when you are watching Amazon shows when you get it working. To be honest the shows on Amazon that are HDR look the same as when I am watching a 1080i show on my DTV but a darker picture and maybe not even as good. This may have something to do with the fact that it is HDR and I am not able to watch it in that mode. When I watch a 4K show that is not HDR, like "Orphan Black" the picture is back to the brightness that I am use to seeing when I am watching my DTV, however it isn't as good as some of the 4K you tube videos I have viewed. At least I have Amazon working now and the non HDR 4K videos look good, just not as good as You Tube 4K videos. I hope that the HDR issue is a software issue and can be corrected with a firmware update, but since others have reported that there HDR is working as it should I wonder about that.

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
I woke up this morning and low and behold Amazon 4K videos are now working. Also the 4K HDR videos are working but I still can't get the HDR to work. It doesn't automatically select it and when I manually select it, it doesn't stay, soon as I go back to the show it reverts back to the Picture Mode I had it set on before I manually selected HDR. Also I noticed that the picture looks a bit dark and not what I expected 4K to look like, so I am wondering if I am even watching 4K even though it shows that it is Ultra HD and HDR in the description. I tried hitting the display button to see if it would show me the resolution but the display button doesn't work. Maybe the display information doesn't work with streaming? Ken, could you please let me know if the display button works for you when you are watching Amazon shows when you get it working. To be honest the shows on Amazon that are HDR look the same as when I am watching a 1080i show on my DTV but a darker picture and maybe not even as good. This may have something to do with the fact that it is HDR and I am not able to watch it in that mode. When I watch a 4K show that is not HDR, like "Orphan Black" the picture is back to the brightness that I am use to seeing when I am watching my DTV, however it isn't as good as some of the 4K you tube videos I have viewed. At least I have Amazon working now and the non HDR 4K videos look good, just not as good as You Tube 4K videos. I hope that the HDR issue is a software issue and can be corrected with a firmware update, but since others have reported that there HDR is working as it should I wonder about that.
I've had great luck with Amazon in the past, but was bitten by the bug as well. I'll check my UHD and HDR to confirm how it looks. I've had it working for quite some time, so I should have a good reference with which to start. Thanks for the update.

·
Registered
7,088 Posts
I woke up this morning and low and behold Amazon 4K videos are now working.

Thanks for letting us know ,the videos in the 4k section are working.

·
Registered
33,423 Posts
Yup, mine too mt! That was a quicker resolution to this issue than I would have expected. Maybe it's my imagination, but the HDR looks better than ever to me.

Mt, when in Amazon, you won't get the resolution display by hitting the info button. That never worked. Not knowing your viewing distance, the best way to check 4K vs HD is to get close to the screen. With HD the picture breaks down as you approach closer to the screen. With 4K content, you can almost have your nose pressed against the screen and all you see is more detail. Of course with streaming content, quality can be very variable.

I'd suggest watching a show like Man in The High Castle. That's what I just used to check if the UHD was working. That show has some beautifully photographed scenes. Keep in mind that with HDR, you'll get brighter whites, but also darker shadows. With that said you should be able to see shadow detail if your settings are correct (whatever 'correct' is at this stage of the HDR curve ;)).

The other thing to keep in mind is that, at least in my case, as soon as I hit 'settings' for picture adjustments, the app exits as well as the HDR picture mode. It's easy to make the mistake of making PQ adjustments, not realizing you're making them for a different picture mode and not HDR. So in my case, just as the app exits, so does the HDR mode. That requires me to manually select HDR mode to begin making picture adjustments.

I believe this is how it should work as you wouldn't want the HDR mode retained as you exit the app.

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
I believe this is how it should work as you wouldn't want the HDR mode retained as you exit the app.
If I can add one more thing to actually see it switch "out" of HDR mode:

Pause the HDR show
Press the "Action Menu" button

If you do that, you will see the menu itself switch color/brightness.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Glad the license_error issue appears to be fixed. I'll have to verify tonight. I spend about an hour chatting with Amazon on Saturday. They were clueless and concluded that Sony TVs aren't supported by Amazon UHD. It doesn't explain how everything was working a couple of weeks earlier.

The Amazon tech was very annoying. It was obvious after 10 minutes, he had no clue how to resolve the issue so I suggested he let the tech department know about my issue and end our chat. The guy kept insisting we try other options and kept making me wait. He also kept insisting the problem was my connection wasn't fast enough for UHD.

I have a separate problem where I can't change the display settings from the drop down menu. I have to go to the home page and go to settings to make changes. Not a huge deal since I don't change settings often. Just another in the list of things that don't work.

I've never owned a device as buggy as my 940c. I wonder if Sony has a QA/QC department that tests their software. More likely the developers do a quick check to see if their use case works and then they roll it out.

I used to manage some development groups in India and my guess is this software is developed there. I would spend my days fixing bugs introduced from the prior days changes and sending them emails pointing out all their mistakes. Many of the problems would be blatantly obvious. Every day I was assured we wouldn't repeat the same thing and every day we did.

·
Banned
34,843 Posts
It's most probable you are not getting an HDR signal to trigger the mode change to begin with.

Can your modem and/or router handle the load?
In my fooling around with things it looks to me Amazon and NF will send out the highest PQ a system can handle at the time and nothing more.
If your hardware can't deal with it, what you get is < what you want at the time.
I have seen streams where the rez is cycled thru on-screen before locking onto something.

I've never owned a device as buggy as my 940c. I wonder if Sony has a QA/QC department that tests their software. More likely the developers do a quick check to see if their use case works and then they roll it out.

I used to manage some development groups in India and my guess is this software is developed there. I would spend my days fixing bugs introduced from the prior days changes and sending them emails pointing out all their mistakes. Many of the problems would be blatantly obvious. Every day I was assured we wouldn't repeat the same thing and every day we did.
I think 5PM came early at my house today...:(

·
Registered
241 Posts
I would get a better one for 4K streaming especially if you have lots of devices connected. I'm running the netgear R8500. Look at the asus RT-AC3100 as well.
Instead of the big investments in wireless gear, build out a MOCA network using your existing coax. For 4K streaming, the consistency of the network is far more important than the maximum data rate, and there is more than enough consistent bandwidth in MOCA for 4K (270Mbps in v 1.1).

·
Registered
7,088 Posts
I noticed that the HDR season the man in the castle looks better on dci color space and the HDR red oaks look better on bt 2020 color space.

anyone have any idea why?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Sony 930C and HDR

Hi Folks,

Can you tell me the software version that includes the HDR update? Also...do you know of any good HDR videos/clips out there to run on the TV?

Thanks and Merry Christmas.

·
Banned
34,843 Posts
Instead of the big investments in wireless gear, build out a MOCA network using your existing coax. For 4K streaming, the consistency of the network is far more important than the maximum data rate, and there is more than enough consistent bandwidth in MOCA for 4K (270Mbps in v 1.1).
I have been using this for the last 6 months and it performs well:
TP-LINK TL-PA4010KIT AV500 Nano Powerline Adapter Starter Kit, up to 500Mbps

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
If I can add one more thing to actually see it switch "out" of HDR mode:

Pause the HDR show
Press the "Action Menu" button

If you do that, you will see the menu itself switch color/brightness.

I tried doing that, pausing the amazon show "The Man in the High Castle" but the picture went away but when I manually changed the Picture Mode to HDR the menu screen does get darker, I'm not sure if that is an indication of anything. When I think about it how would one know if it did or didn't automatically change the Picture Mode to HDR since the picture goes away when I press the Action Menu wouldn't also HDR go away since the show has also gone away and I have re-select it to watch it? How would one know they are truly seeing HDR except if they were impressed by the picture and can see a difference. The first episode of "The Man In The High Castle seems pretty dark, at least the first 30 minutes or so which is all I have watched. Maybe that's the way it is supposed to look and maybe the next 30 minutes have brighter scenes and I can get a better indication.

It's most probable you are not getting an HDR signal to trigger the mode change to begin with.

Can your modem and/or router handle the load?
In my fooling around with things it looks to me Amazon and NF will send out the highest PQ a system can handle at the time and nothing more.
If your hardware can't deal with it, what you get is < what you want at the time.
I have seen streams where the rez is cycled thru on-screen before locking onto something.

I think 5PM came early at my house today...:(

MY router/modem is reading Very Strong with a speed of 144Mbps when I swapped out the old modem/router for this new one that is 5Ghz capable it made a world of difference when watching 4K video on You Tube before I was seeing a lot of blurriness with the resolution coming in and out along with a lot of buffering. Now I don't get any buffering and stunning 4K resolution.

·
Registered
145 Posts
We're really drifting off the thread topic, but if you're knowledge about MOCA I wouldn't mind discussing it offline (private message). I can see the benefits of bridging your internet signal onto your coax for reliable 4K. I know MOCA allows you to bring or run your Internet to your devices (TV, XBOX, etc) over the cable, then split it out to an RJ45 connector (hardwire Internet to TV without running CAT 5e/6). It eliminates latency, but it doesn't seem to be scaling up in speed as fast as the CAT 6 based equipment. This can be a problem as internet speeds increase and streamers Amazon, Netflix, Ultraflix, etc. start reducing compression - which I think they'll have to do to compete with UHD Blue Ray Players.

Right now, I increase my wireless speed with a modem/router upgrade. To increase the speed of a MOCA build I would have to upgrade the equipment in lockstep (it also currently lacks gigabit speed). I have a need to move large amounts of data wirelessly over my LAN (up to a TB) from computer to computer via AC wireless protocol. I also run IP cameras using POE injector switches. I don't see a MOCA solution alone meeting all my needs, but I'd like to learn more

This thread isn't the place for the discussion - PM me to discuss.

Sorry to everyone on the thread for getting so far off topic

·
Registered
241 Posts
We're really drifting off the thread topic, but if you're knowledge about MOCA I wouldn't mind discussing it offline (private message). I can see the benefits of bridging your internet signal onto your coax for reliable 4K. I know MOCA allows you to bring or run your Internet to your devices (TV, XBOX, etc) over the cable, then split it out to an RJ45 connector (hardwire Internet to TV without running CAT 5e/6). It eliminates latency, but it doesn't seem to be scaling up in speed as fast as the CAT 6 based equipment. This can be a problem as internet speeds increase and streamers Amazon, Netflix, Ultraflix, etc. start reducing compression - which I think they'll have to do to compete with UHD Blue Ray Players.

Right now, I increase my wireless speed with a modem/router upgrade. To increase the speed of a MOCA build I would have to upgrade the equipment in lockstep (it also currently lacks gigabit speed). I have a need to move large amounts of data wirelessly over my LAN (up to a TB) from computer to computer via AC wireless protocol. I also run IP cameras using POE injector switches. I don't see a MOCA solution alone meeting all my needs, but I'd like to learn more

This thread isn't the place for the discussion - PM me to discuss.

Sorry to everyone on the thread for getting so far off topic
With MOCA v2 and a bonded adapter, you get up to 1Gbps. If you have the ability to run Cat 5e/6/6a (it's the same rate i.e. 1Gbps), then it's the way to go. If you don't have the ability to run wired ethernet, then MOCA is a far better option then WiFi. Leave the WiFi for all of the BYOD devices e.g. iPad, iPhone, and use MOCA to drive the 4K TV, XBOX, PS4, TiVO, etc.

I have FiOS 300/300 service, and I bridge one of the GigE ports on the router to coax via a MOCA gateway. At my entertainment center, I have another MOCA bridge, and the single ethernet port terminates into a 8-port Gig-E switch, and my TiVO, Sony 4K, PS4, AppleTV, etc. all connect to the Gig-E switch.

Technically, I can't hit Gig-E speeds over the MOCA bridge, but there is nothing in the setup, even if all of those devices were (could) stream 4K content at the same time, where the MOCA bandwidth would be a limiting factor. Oh, and it's going to be faster than the current crop of 801.11ac WiFi, especially if there is any distance between the WiFi client and the router - you see, 802.11ac performance drops off exceptionally fast as the distance between the client and router increase. Add in legacy 802.11n and g devices (in 5Ghz) and the performance suffers more.

·
Registered
181 Posts

Amazon 4K is now working for me as well. Hooray!

This is my 1st time watching an HDR program(The Man in the High Castle)...but I can definitely tell a difference with the images compared to using Cinemapro watching DTV. Especially switching from a dark scene to a bright scene. I noticed it more and more the longer I watched. Will be perfect once 5.1 audio is activated. (This looks like a good series, by the way).

·
Registered
113 Posts
Of all the problems with the software of this Sony (and there are a million of 'em), there is ONE thing this TV does superbly well: 3D
I watched Avatar in 3D tonite and it was stunning.
Also watched Wolf Totem and it too dazzled.
After other comments about the 3D, I finally broke out the glasses and had to try it. The Hobbit on HBO Go is currently showing in 3D and was is incredible. Looking for Avatar now. One of my favorite 3D movies.

·
Banned
34,843 Posts
After other comments about the 3D, I finally broke out the glasses and had to try it. The Hobbit on HBO Go is currently showing in 3D and was is incredible. Looking for Avatar now. One of my favorite 3D movies.
I really can't believe the quality of the 3D on this display.
As I understand it, the Samsung flagships (9500 series) also have this level of quality 3D.

Unfortunately, the format was rushed to market before manufacturers perfected it.
If they hadn't pushed it so quick, it could have caught on in a MUCH stronger way.;)

·
Rabid 3-D Aficionado
1,556 Posts
I really can't believe the quality of the 3D on this display.
As I understand it, the Samsung flagships (9500 series) also have this level of quality 3D.

Unfortunately, the format was rushed to market before manufacturers perfected it.
If they hadn't pushed it so quick, it could have caught on in a MUCH stronger way.;)
Though I can't include the Samsung, the 940C provides the best 3-D image out of many TV's I have seen. With Christmas just days away, there's a good opportunity to blow away your guests with Imax: Hubble (3D), Gravity (3D), any one of the three Lichtmonds, or the seasonal staple, Polar Express (3D).

·
Registered
61 Posts
I've never watched 3D at home and was looking to try it out on the 940C. Is 3D just as good from streaming it on netflix or should I buy/rent a 3D BR disc to get the best example for 3D on this TV?

6121 - 6140 of 14463 Posts