AVS Forum banner

6381 - 6400 of 14467 Posts

·
Registered
3,315 Posts
Anyone have the link to the Sony live press conference at CES that starts in 7 minutes?

·
Registered
97 Posts
You'll be waiting a long time for that to come out
Maybe not. Both consoles are due for hardware refresh. It would make sense for MS to race to go UHD as this would give them an edge on Sony as the XBONE sales are way behind.

Id think that Sony would not want to be too far behind as they were always pushing their PS3/PS4 console on the market as a pretty good and cheap BR player.

I can't imagine they would stay behind and skip that technology. Especially because that could benefit the games too...

So Id think MS and Sony will probably come up with something this year.

·
Registered
378 Posts
http://www.theverge.com/2016/1/5/10718500/new-sony-tvs-announced-ces-2016-4k-hdr-ultra-app

Sony’s new flagship TVs are the 75-inch XBR-X940D Series and the XBR-X930D Series, which comes in 65-inch and 55-inch flavors. (Confusingly, the company is branding all its 4K HDR TVs as "4K HDR Ultra HD.") Both sets feature ultra-thin bezels, Sony’s Triluminos display, and Google’s Android TV interface.
The XBR-X930D includes grid-array local-dimming that Sony calls Slim Backlight Drive, and which the company says allows for a thinner bezel without diminishing proper backlight distribution (the XBR-X940D comes with a slim full-array direct-backlit LED). Combined with the company’s X-tended Dynamic Range Pro system, Sony says their TVs can produce even deeper blacks and more vibrant colors than what standard HDR can already accomplish.

Although HDR content is lacking from just about every major streaming service (Amazon does have a few shows currently streaming in HDR), Sony is preparing its own offerings for its customers. The company is launching a new app with its HDR TVs called Ultra, which will allow users to purchase and stream HDR content from Sony Pictures on your Sony 4K HDR TV running Android TV. Ultra will launch later this year in the US with 40 to 50 titles to start.

While Sony has yet to announce pricing for these TVs, the company also introduced what looks to be a slightly cheaper version: the XBR-X850D Series, which will be available in 55-inch, 65-inch, 75-inch and 85-inch models. The XBR-X850D comes with Sony’s Triluminos Display, supports HDR, and works through Android TV, but doesn’t feature X-tended Dynamic Range Pro.

Sony says the XBR-X940D, XBR-X930D, and XBR-X850D will be available in "early 2016."

Attachments

·
Premium Member
12,463 Posts
Id guess theyd be close to 100% DCIP3 as well.

·
Registered
63 Posts
http://www.theverge.com/2016/1/5/10718500/new-sony-tvs-announced-ces-2016-4k-hdr-ultra-app

Sony’s new flagship TVs are the 75-inch XBR-X940D Series and the XBR-X930D Series, which comes in 65-inch and 55-inch flavors. (Confusingly, the company is branding all its 4K HDR TVs as "4K HDR Ultra HD.") Both sets feature ultra-thin bezels, Sony’s Triluminos display, and Google’s Android TV interface.
The XBR-X930D includes grid-array local-dimming that Sony calls Slim Backlight Drive, and which the company says allows for a thinner bezel without diminishing proper backlight distribution (the XBR-X940D comes with a slim full-array direct-backlit LED). Combined with the company’s X-tended Dynamic Range Pro system, Sony says their TVs can produce even deeper blacks and more vibrant colors than what standard HDR can already accomplish.

Although HDR content is lacking from just about every major streaming service (Amazon does have a few shows currently streaming in HDR), Sony is preparing its own offerings for its customers. The company is launching a new app with its HDR TVs called Ultra, which will allow users to purchase and stream HDR content from Sony Pictures on your Sony 4K HDR TV running Android TV. Ultra will launch later this year in the US with 40 to 50 titles to start.

While Sony has yet to announce pricing for these TVs, the company also introduced what looks to be a slightly cheaper version: the XBR-X850D Series, which will be available in 55-inch, 65-inch, 75-inch and 85-inch models. The XBR-X850D comes with Sony’s Triluminos Display, supports HDR, and works through Android TV, but doesn’t feature X-tended Dynamic Range Pro.

Sony says the XBR-X940D, XBR-X930D, and XBR-X850D will be available in "early 2016."
And the end of an era... They've officially killed the side speakers for their new Flagship 930d/940D TVs. RIP Side Speakers

Reactions: King Richard

·
Premium Member
12,463 Posts
And the end of an era... They've officially killed the side speakers for their new Flagship 930d/940D TVs. RIP Side Speakers
Everyone trolling this thread about speakers will be sooooo happy LOL.

I pulled the trigger on a Samsung K8500 player preorder. Best Buy says 2/22, we will see.

Reactions: Pencreus

·
Registered
75" Sony 950G. Sony PS4 Pro. Sony PS5 coming soon!
1,585 Posts
Maybe not. Both consoles are due for hardware refresh. It would make sense for MS to race to go UHD as this would give them an edge on Sony as the XBONE sales are way behind.

Id think that Sony would not want to be too far behind as they were always pushing their PS3/PS4 console on the market as a pretty good and cheap BR player.

I can't imagine they would stay behind and skip that technology. Especially because that could benefit the games too...

So Id think MS and Sony will probably come up with something this year.
You had a 7 year span from the PS3 to when the PS4 launched. I expect to see around the same until next consoles come out

·
Registered
436 Posts
Sony website shows 940c/930c & 910c/900c having the new "4K HDR" stamp thought that was interesting. Good news I think for being a 930c owner
I only see that badging for the "D" series on the Sony site.

·
Registered
436 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
You had a 7 year span from the PS3 to when the PS4 launched. I expect to see around the same until next consoles come out
I didnt mean new console generation.

PS3 has seen 3 hardware refreshes within 6 years and xbox got 3 (if you count the Elite that actually added HDMI support to it).

So both should see a new hardware update this year and I would not be surprised that they will push for UHD if they can keep within budget. Especially Microsoft that really need to find something to give them an edge over Sony.
Sony sells 2x consoles than MS minimum. They are taking over the living room market.

So I think going 4K would make sense.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Any news that the 930C will get a FW update to bring the HDMI spec up to 2.0A?

6381 - 6400 of 14467 Posts