AVS Forum banner

681 - 700 of 14516 Posts

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Finally got around to unboxing the 2nd 930C. The picture looks fine, no edge light bleed or noticeable clouding. And.... it's needs to go back. There is dirt or glue under the glass in the upper left area of the screen. So far I'm 2 for 3. :(
Sorry to hear the QC Carlos, where are these sets being manufactured btw?

:eek:

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
what is all over the screen that looks like bubbles.. not on the top but the actual viewing screen
It's a paused imaged from cable TV. There is nothing wrong with the TV screen. The display itself is fine. It's the top edge that has the gunk underneath the glass.

·
Registered
207 Posts
It's a paused imaged from cable TV. There is nothing wrong with the TV screen. The display itself is fine. It's the top edge that has the gunk underneath the glass.
Don't know if I'd return the TV for that....it looks like it's also exaggerated by the flash of your camera hitting it.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Hello all X930C and X940C owners! I am not an owner, but am considering the 65" 930C. I apologize for posting in the owners thread, but figured you guys could best answer my questions below.

1. Did you like the speakers on the side when you purchased the TV? If not, were you able to get used to the look of them?
2. Do you still use surround sound speakers, or do you rely on the TV speakers for your audio now?
3. How does it look with the stands set up in the middle position? My stand is 64" wide and the 930C is about 67" wide.

I like the picture the most on this TV, but have never been a huge fan of the speakers on the side. I just bought MartinLogan Motion 40s, so I don't need the best speakers in my TV. However, I could always return these in the next few days. Thank you in advance to whoever can provide me with some input!

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
Don't know if I'd return the TV for that....it looks like it's also exaggerated by the flash of your camera hitting it.
You can see it from from far away. It looks like a smudge on the top of the screen. Either way, glue or dirt should not be underneath the glass and it is a manufacturing defect.

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
Hello all X930C and X940C owners! I am not an owner, but am considering the 65" 930C. I apologize for posting in the owners thread, but figured you guys could best answer my questions below.

1. Did you like the speakers on the side when you purchased the TV? If not, were you able to get used to the look of them?
2. Do you still use surround sound speakers, or do you rely on the TV speakers for your audio now?
3. How does it look with the stands set up in the middle position? My stand is 64" wide and the 930C is about 67" wide.

I like the picture the most on this TV, but have never been a huge fan of the speakers on the side. I just bought MartinLogan Motion 40s, so I don't need the best speakers in my TV. However, I could always return these in the next few days. Thank you in advance to whoever can provide me with some input!
I) I like the over all look of the TV and see the built in speakers as a plus when compared to other brands.
2) I do not have a separate surround sound setup. I use the built in speakers and wireless sub.
3) In my opinion, it looks "like a TV" with the feet towards the center position. With the feet on the outside it looks like a monolith or sculpture. I recommend getting a 70 or 72" stand that can fit the 930C with the feet towards the outside.

It's up to you if you want to try the built in speakers and wireless sub. The Martin Logan's will sound better.

Reactions: Viper32

·
Banned
5,023 Posts
Ridiculous!

Was it obvious? I suppose you noticed it when there was a bright background?

Really disappointing that Sony's manufacturing process would allow that to happen.
More like Foxconn making /assembling the TV and panels from bulk LCD cells Sony divested their manufacturing facilities in NA,MX,SA et,al

OTOH maybe they can charge them back for QA/QC items on warranty like the car companies often do with suppliers and subs ,

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
It looks like glue bubbles or some type of adhesive. It's under the glass and can't get it off.

Would you want to look at that every time you watched your TV?
That would drive me crazy. I would warranty it for sure.

·
Banned
5,023 Posts
Nope it was Crazy Eddie's cigar :p
ha ha ha he probably broke outta the pen ,asylum, or nursing home just to screw up Carlos_E's TV and stole the cigar no less :p

Reactions: player002

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
I just spent some time with the 940C today. I saw it side by side with the 950B. I watched only 4K material. The 940C looked just as good as the 950B and in some cases exceeded it. The less number of zones was not noticeable to me.

The blacks on the 940C were BLACK. The blacks blended into the side speakers. The colors were rich and vibrate. The picture had depth, like a 3D look. Where the 940C exceeded the 950B was off angle viewing. I walked off angle left and right of the 950B and the colors died. The color washed out to gray. I went off angle with the 940C and the image did not die. I had to go far before the colors shifted. For those of you with odd shaped viewing rooms the 940C should perform well. I also noticed the 940C is less reflective than my 900B. Both the 930C and 940C seem less reflective.

On a side note, Today I met an NBC Universal Engineer. He told me NBC ordered twenty 940Cs to use as in studio monitors in the NBC Manhattan studios. He said the 940C has the best motion and is the best 4KTV of 2015 and it’s at a great price. I asked him if they considered the JS9500. He said Samsung made a huge mistake with 78" and 88” models being curved. NBC would not consider it because of the curved screen.

During our conversation he tried to test me. Asking me questions about UHD Bluray and HDR. He asked me if I knew what they were and the specs. I quoted them back to him. ;) He asked me if I was buying the 940C and then offered me his discount. I told him thank you and there’s no need. I’m good there. :)

·
Registered
263 Posts

at first I didn't like the speakers but now I think it adds a more high quality look

I have an sr7009 av receiver with klipsch speakers in atmos and still use the speakers when I can't have surround on late at night .
Go for the 930 you won't regret it

·
Registered
74 Posts

I have the 940C.
1. Did not want the speakers and would have preferred TV without them but the 930 and 940 are the best TV panels sony is making this year so I decided to live with the speakers.
2. I use my A/V system and disable the TV speakers. The martin logan and any reasonable surround system will be far superior to the tv speakers. That said - I did hear the speakers when setting up the TV and the TV sound from the speakers is good for just a TV. I have gotten used to the speakers on the TV as they are dark enough to blend in with the rest of the TV - but it does make the Tv look very long.
3. I mounted the TV on a wall and do not use the stand. That said - the feet on the stand are tiny compared to any previous TV stand I have used and I would assume they would not be very prominent in the middle position.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #694 ·
Well I'm having Magnolia DC bring a 78JS9500 to my house for an exchange on the 940c. I'm not a loyalist to any brand. I told them I want to setup both tvs and view them side to side with a hdmi splitter on a bluRay source. They said no problem. I was shocked they agreed to that. But I should have both tvs to compare next Monday. Should be pretty awesome to do a side by side in my own home.

If I decide to keep the 940 then so be it. I'm just having so many problems with it I'm getting angry. I will take photos and video if I can when we do the side by side, If they come through like they say they will.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I just spent some time with the 940C today. I saw it side by side with the 950B. I watched only 4K material. The 940C looked just as good as the 950B and in some cases exceeded it. The less number of zones was not noticeable to me.

The blacks on the 940C were BLACK. The blacks blended into the side speakers. The colors were rich and vibrate. The picture had depth, like a 3D look. Where the 940C exceeded the 950B was off angle viewing. I walked off angle left and right of the 950B and the colors died. The color washed out to gray. I went off angle with the 940C and the image did not die. I had to go far before the colors shifted. For those of you with odd shaped viewing rooms the 940C should perform well. I also noticed the 940C is less reflective than my 900B. Both the 930C and 940C seem less reflective.

On a side note, Today I met an NBC Universal Engineer. He told me NBC ordered twenty 940Cs to use as in studio monitors in the NBC Manhattan studios. He said the 940C has the best motion and is the best 4KTV of 2015 and it’s at a great price. I asked him if they considered the JS9500. He said Samsung made a huge mistake with 78" and 88” models being curved. NBC would not consider it because of the curved screen.

During our conversation he tried to test me. Asking me questions about UHD Bluray and HDR. He asked me if I knew what they were and the specs. I quoted them back to him. ;) He asked me if I was buying the 940C and then offered me his discount. I told him thank you and there’s no need. I’m good there. :)
Yeah, I second all that after having the 940C at home for a few days. Picture quality is awesome and I didn't notice any issues with viewing angles (coming from a plasma). I know that some owners had issues with 940C but mine's been problem-free, no glitches...

I'm returning it this week (it's too small) - will definitely miss it, especially that my local BB can't tell me how long it's going to take them to have the 88" JS9500 available for me :mad:

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'm a long time reader of these forums and love the information I can gather, but I've actually never posted anything so here comes the rookie:

I'm a day or two away from pulling the trigger on a 940C. Now that there are enough out in the wild, I'm wondering if anyone has done any gaming on them (or the 930C for that matter). I'm sure I'm in the minority here on being a somehwhat serious gamer, but I've got my other uses covered (primarily Blu-Ray and Streaming) thanks to those that post here. Last years Sonys destroyed all competitors in Input Lag, but I've seen some things that suggest this years aren't quite as good so I'm a bit anxious as PS4/XB1 both get significant play.

Thanks for any gaming-related input anyone has!

·
Banned
5,023 Posts
RE: 940C
I'm returning it this week (it's too small) - will definitely miss it, especially that my local BB can't tell me how long it's going to take them to have the 88" JS9500 available for me :mad:
I wouldn't mind that enviable decision circumstance :p)

Maybe a phat 150" (or more FP screen if the phat Sammy extra large is to small or no ? :(

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
Yeah, I second all that after having the 940C at home for a few days. Picture quality is awesome and I didn't notice any issues with viewing angles (coming from a plasma). I know that some owners had issues with 940C but mine's been problem-free, no glitches...

681 - 700 of 14516 Posts