AVS Forum banner

10821 - 10840 of 14463 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
My x930 continues to have an issue where the screen will go black for about 1 second but sound will continue to play. It does this on all 4 HDMI inputs and the built in apps. So it does not appear to be a source issue. I swapped out the HDMI cables and the surge protector. The only thing that I can think of is I have the HDMI cables in the wall because the tv is wall mounted. The home electric wire is in the wall too. Could this be a shielding issue? I'm thinking it's the tv itself though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anyone have any ideas?

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
I'll have to check tonight, it could be the camera, as it's not capturing everything perfectly, or it could be some of my settings. I tried AustinJerry's and they didn't seem to work for the 940C, it gave everything a sickly green cast and seemed to create a lot of noise and undersaturated color, but getting into CMS stuff can differ a lot even between panel to panel in the same model.

I've been trying to balance getting the blackest blacks, rich colors, and bright highlights with retaining detail in the image and not crushing too much in the shadows or clipping too much of the whites.

EDIT:

I just watched the video again quickly on my computer monitor, and I don't see any trees in that scene. I'm wondering if I have a different source than you, as mine doesn't have a 3:05 either, the whole video is just 1:15 long. I see AustinJerry has a 4K version, do you have that as well? One that's apparently longer? Do you have a download link?

This is the one I used:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VEj2NTme-o
OK I see now. Your (X tended Dynamic Range Paris YouTube video) (no tree, no soft red glow on tree on the right somehow was dialed out in that video). That demo creates severe blocking and banding all around the edges of the neon lights for me. Not the same demo but please compare:

(Sony HD Demo:paris) 3:21 video at 3:05-3:07 have your eyes ready as its gone in a flash!

This YouTube on my 930D App shows the hidden tree and its soft glowing leaves and no blockiness or extended banding emanating just outide the neon signs but the same great pure neon colors with the dialed in tree.

Thanks Tute -that shows me that so far that AustinJerry 940D settings hold true for me and this verifies some extreme differences with the xtended dynamic subtleness as shown on that video.

·
Lionheart of AVS
3,287 Posts
Your post didn't answer my question about dynamic hdr10 on 2015 Sony.

That video is from nab and the guy is not a Samsung or Sony representative ,he doesn't work for any of those brands. I would like to heard this direcly from the manufacture.

I hope that the manufactures doesn't left the 2015 models in the air with no dynamic hdr to trying to sell us new models. It will be very unfair.

also on the article is mentioning hdmi 2.1 which make this more confusing.

I would like a concrete respose from Sony and Samsung.

@losservatore

The whole point was: IF the information in the video/article is credible about Dynamic HDR coming later this year (or even if its not 'til next year), and IF it only requires a firmware update instead of a hardware upgrade, then that is great news for us early adopters because it gives us hope that our current HDR capable sets could potentially get upgraded to Dynamic HDR10 in the near future.

No, we don't know, if that ends up happening, which TVs would qualify. However, some hope is better than none.

As to the comment about Dynamic HDR10 requiring an upgrade to HDMI 2.1, that was just an assumption that was based on an old report from Philips about their proprietary Dynamic HDR version. We don't know at this time if the HDMI port will actually require to be upgraded for Dynamic HDR10.

Richard

·
Lionheart of AVS
3,287 Posts
My x930 continues to have an issue where the screen will go black for about 1 second but sound will continue to work play. It does this on all 4 HDMI inputs and the built in apps. So it does not appear to be a source issue. I swapped out the HDMI cables and the surge protector. The only thing that I can think of is I have the HDMI cables in the wall because the tv is wall mounted. The home electric wire is in the wall too. Could this be a shielding issue? I'm thinking it's the tv itself though.

It does sound like it could be a cable issue.

I would try to connect you HDMI cable directly without going through the wall (you might have to try more than one cable) and see if you still get the issue. It might be a pain to do, but then you'll know if that was the case.

Also, make sure that all your connections are nice and tight and that you are using "decent" cables.

Richard

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
OK I see now. Your (X tended Dynamic Range Paris YouTube video) (no tree, no soft red glow on tree on the right somehow was dialed out in that video). That demo creates severe blocking and banding all around the edges of the neon lights for me. Not the same demo but please compare:

https://youtu.be/NO22FCBjbTQ
(Sony HD Demo:paris) 3:21 video at 3:05-3:07 have your eyes ready as its gone in a flash!

This YouTube on my 930D App shows the hidden tree and its soft glowing leaves and no blockiness or extended banding emanating just outide the neon signs but the same great pure neon colors with the dialed in tree.

Thanks Tute -that shows me that so far that AustinJerry 940D settings hold true for me and this verifies some extreme differences with the xtended dynamic subtleness as shown on that video.
OK, so I checked it out just a bit ago, and yup, there's a tree there in that shot with the glow of the building reflecting off of it.

I Can't seem to grab it in a photo without blowing out the entire photo though, the TV apparently has a much wider dynamic range than my iPhone's camera.

Reactions: davehale

·
Registered
214 Posts
It does sound like it could be a cable issue.

I would try to connect you HDMI cable directly without going through the wall (you might have to try more than one cable) and see if you still get the issue. It might be a pain to do, but then you'll know if that was the case.

Also, make sure that all your connections are nice and tight and that you are using "decent" cables.

Richard

I'll try running cables to the tv not in the wall. I've got lots of good monoprice and monoprice redmere cables and I am using brand new Amazon basics cables on the Sony now. I've got the same monoprice cables on my two Panasonic Plasmas and have zero issues. But those are not in the wall.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I'll try running cables to the tv not in the wall. I've got lots of good monoprice and monoprice redmere cables and I am using brand new Amazon basics cables on the Sony now. I've got the same monoprice cables on my two Panasonic Plasmas and have zero issues. But those are not in the wall.

Do you ever see the drop-out while watching streaming content from say, the Netflix or Amazon apps? That would at least rule out the display, narrowing it down to either the inputs or the cabling.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Do you ever see the drop-out while watching streaming content from say, the Netflix or Amazon apps? That would at least rule out the display, narrowing it down to either the inputs or the cabling.

It does it in the Netflix app on the TV too. How would that rule out display though?

·
Registered
117 Posts
You shouldn't be disappointed - the 940c has superb motion. I came from a plasma display and the motion on this set rivals it. The input lag, from what I've read, is pretty low. Let us know what you think once you get it setup.
Thanks for responding. Definitely excited. Hoping gaming is good on it and that I dont have the issues I had with upscaling on animated stuff.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I upgraded my phone to marshmallow and I didn't notice any difference. Actually there was one difference. Syncing via USB to my computers became unstable.
Because if your updating your phone to 6.0 its not using the full marshmellow features. I'm pretty sure your cpu chipset isn't 64-bit like mine is and that's why you haven't noticed a difference on your phone because there is no stutter or lag on my phone for that reason. Syncing your usb to your computer has nothing to do with the OS itself lol. Its either your computer or the usb your using or the jacks and not the OS.

·
Registered
223 Posts

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
This is great news but the background flickering and strobing on the tv's was irritating my eyes so much when I was watching the video.
Has it been confirmed that the Sony 940C and the 930C will be getting this via a firmware update?

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Can someone please share their HDR settings for amazon streaming. Despite my efforts the picture is always hazy dull and colorless.
Thanks.
For HDR I just leave it alone in the factory default HDR mode and it looks great. If you've messed with the HDR settings try doing a reset on that picture mode and try it again.

·
Registered
5,522 Posts
Because if your updating your phone to 6.0 its not using the full marshmellow features. I'm pretty sure your cpu chipset isn't 64-bit like mine is and that's why you haven't noticed a difference on your phone because there is no stutter or lag on my phone for that reason. Syncing your usb to your computer has nothing to do with the OS itself lol. Its either your computer or the usb your using or the jacks and not the OS.
My phone's 64 bit and I started having USB syncing issues on 2 separate computers immediately after upgrading the OS. I never had any stutter or lag with either OS. Can you explain how syncing is done without the use of the OS?

·
Lionheart of AVS
3,287 Posts
Has it been confirmed that the Sony 940C and the 930C will be getting this via a firmware update?

Nothing has been confirmed yet. However, if the info about Dynamic HDR10 only requiring a firmware update IS accurate, then I can't see why the update would not be made available to those sets.

However, I read that Sony was also looking into HLG (Hybrid Log-Gamma) HDR, which was jointly developed by the BBC and NHK. Perhaps HLG could be included alongside Dynamic HDR10 (just like some current TVs include both HDR10 and Dolby Vision).

That said, I don't really see Sony and Samsung adding Dolby Vision to their TVs anytime soon.

Richard

·
Registered
223 Posts
My phone's 64 bit and I started having USB syncing issues on 2 separate computers immediately after upgrading the OS. I never had any stutter or lag with either OS. Can you explain how syncing is done without the use of the OS?
Alright one you seem to be trolling cause you can just google this instead of wasting my time and call your phone manufacturer as to why your phone cant sync. Two you haven't stated what phone your using. Three this thread is about two sony tv models and not cellphones and I was only explaining to a fellow member who couldn't understand what the differences in the OS's are and ive experienced them both and what the new tv OS will bring us in the future update. So this conversation about "cellphones" is over.

P.S. syncing is service and server related not OS related I'm sure "Google" can answer more if you still don't understand.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Nothing has been confirmed yet. However, if the info about Dynamic HDR10 only requiring a firmware update IS accurate, then I can't see why the update would not be made available to those sets.

However, I read that Sony was also looking into HLG (Hybrid Log-Gamma) HDR, which was jointly developed by the BBC and NHK. Perhaps HLG could be included alongside Dynamic HDR10 (just like some current TVs include both HDR10 and Dolby Vision).

That said, I don't really see Sony and Samsung adding Dolby Vision to their TVs anytime soon.

Richard
Like this? its a year old but still an interesting video about it in my link below.

http://www.displaydaily.com/content/videos/32323-sony-describes-hybrid-log-gamma-hlg-at-smpte-2015-event-sony-describes-hybrid-log-gamma-hlg-at-smpte-2015-event

10821 - 10840 of 14463 Posts