AVS Forum banner

501 - 520 of 2465 Posts

·
Banned
11,424 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd02  /t/1530824/official-sony-x950b-owners-thread/500_100#post_24812369

I attempted to use the calibration cd. I'm bummed I can't get this tv to look better than my panny zt60 I had.
...were those your expectations? Short of actual 4K content (and possibly upscaling), you likely should've dialed them back a bit, IMO.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Mine gets delivered next Tuesday. Can't wait to post pics!

·
Registered
33,528 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd02  /t/1530824/official-sony-x950b-owners-thread/480#post_24812369

I attempted to use the calibration cd. I'm bummed I can't get this tv to look better than my panny zt60 I had.

I don't know how much experience you have with calibrations, but that could be one reason for your disappointment.

You need the proper equipment and experience to do the best job. You might want to consider a professional ISF tech.

·
Registered
50 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross  /t/1530824/official-sony-x950b-owners-thread/480#post_24812505

I don't know how much experience you have with calibrations, but that could be one reason for your disappointment.

You need the proper equipment and experience to do the best job. You might want to consider a professional ISF tech.

Can anyone recommend a professional ISF tech in the DFW area? What does that usually cost?

·
Registered
670 Posts
I know BBY does calibration, and they are ISF certified, but no idea as to their competence.

·
Premium Member
773 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd02  /t/1530824/official-sony-x950b-owners-thread/480#post_24812528

Can anyone recommend a professional ISF tech in the DFW area? What does that usually cost?
UMR (Jeff) lives south somewhere I think. He's an excellent pro calibrator and highly experienced.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Didn't know if this had been posted, but the 3D glasses use a watch battery instead of being rechargeable? How long will these glasses last on a charge?

·
Registered
482 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd02  /t/1530824/official-sony-x950b-owners-thread/480#post_24812528

I've heard anywhere from $200 to $500, to give you "accurate" settings that you may find too dull and just change back anyway or force yourself to use to justify the cost. Do they even change anything in the service menu anymore or just user accessible settings? I know it's hard to get everything right yourself, but I doubt someone else's eyes or meters can tell you what you like best. Maybe it's worth it if you have money to burn, but I think adjusting it yourself with an aid like a disney wow disc might be good enough.

Geek squad charges $250, and I think it was actually free for a while as part of elite rewards membership.

·
Registered
17,407 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottman  /t/1530824/official-sony-x950b-owners-thread/510#post_24812744

I've heard anywhere from $200 to $500, to give you "accurate" settings that you may find too dull and just change back anyway or force yourself to use to justify the cost. Do they even change anything in the service menu anymore or just user accessible settings? I know it's hard to get everything right yourself, but I doubt someone else's eyes or meters can tell you what you like best. Maybe it's worth it if you have money to burn, but I think adjusting it yourself with an aid like a disney wow disc might be good enough.

Geek squad charges $250, and I think it was actually free for a while as part of elite rewards membership.

This is some of the worst advice I've ever heard on AVS.

You just bought an $8000 display and you're going to cheap out on getting it to look its best????

The key here is to get a good calibrator and not someone who may or may not get you a good picture.

I've used several calibrators and I'd have to recommend Chad B. You can google and find Chad B calibrations.

He uses a jeti 1211 to profile his colorimeter which is more likely to give you the best results.

·
Registered
10,664 Posts
+2

In fact, with the newer Calman or ChromaPure Software with AutoCal, newer and better Meters, and if you, like me, have multiple TVs in the house, time to invest in DIY.

As the Software gets better, you get better, and your PQs get better! (The new Calmans come with Tutorials built in. In fact download, Free of Charge, the Home version from http://color.spectracal.com/downloads/ and mess with it. You can't actually do a real calibration, but you can get a feel for the program.)

We all know from seeing reviews, out of the Box is not the greatest. Out of the Box also means finding which Mode gives the truest to Spec PQ. For this, you need a DIY calibration system. Also your TV is NOT set up for Day or Night viewing. Myself, I'm pretty well only a Night viewer, but, once you've seen a PROPERLY calibrated TV, you'll become a believer! Also the pleasure of seeing a job well done!

·
Registered
441 Posts
I highly recommend Jeff Meier (UMR) and if I get one of these he will be the one calibrating it- he lives in the Ozarks in Missouri and does regional visits each year. He's done at least 4 of my TVs and I wouldn't use anyone else- he even did a personal review on the xbr-84x900 after calibrating one- check him out!

·
Registered
15,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulsa1  /t/1530824/official-sony-x950b-owners-thread/500_50#post_24813518

It appears Vizio's best panel will only get 32 FALD zones on their best

http://www.twice.com/news/tv/vizio-adds-full-array-led-backlighting-more-led-zones-m-series-tvs/45601
Their best what? Their top 1080p set, the M-series, will have up to 36 zones depending on the size. Why you're comparing a $1500 1080p set to a $8k UHD set from Sony is beyond me. FWIW, Vizio is planning to roll out two other lines of TVs that will have more zones. The P-series with up to 96 and the Reference series with 384 zones.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Anyone have a picture of the port replicator? I'm curious as to the quality of the cable going from the replicator to the TV.

·
Vendor
29,862 Posts

Quote:

Google Chad B, he visits texas.............

·
Registered
56 Posts

·
Premium Member
725 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulsa1  /t/1530824/official-sony-x950b-owners-thread/510#post_24812636

UMR (Jeff) lives south somewhere I think. He's an excellent pro calibrator and highly experienced.[/quot

You should get a couple of hundred hours of burn-in time on the set before ISF calibration.

501 - 520 of 2465 Posts