AVS Forum banner

22381 - 22400 of 22571 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Was wondering what level the security patch was updated to, February 2020? Thanks!
The security update is to January 1, 2020, and the kernel is now 3.10.79, dated 3/3/20.

I don't see any obvious UI changes, and I've had no issues running the update so far. (I haven't had any sw updates in the past either.)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Anyway looks like they finally released firmware later than 6520 for us :D Seems other parts of the world got 6535 and 6545 in between but we've jumped right to 6555. Hopefully no issues with this...before I update has anyone tried 3D and can confirm it is fine on the latest one?

It's so iffy (and I'm so paranoid about) updating firmware on CE gear because vast majority of products (including Sony TVs) you cannot go back once you update, so gotta make sure that the people that have updated aren't seeing any issues first :|

No problems with the 3D here so far. Watched Alita without issues.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Originally Posted by joshua goard
Well for starters if you are on Oreo you're not on the most recent firmware, I would update to the latest. Also, there are 2 things I've read that could be causing this. 1 of them is the LED light under the tv. For whatever reason I've read on a few threads that leaving that on all the time for some reason causes random reboots. Don't know if it's true, but I have mine set to simple response, that way it only lights up when I press a button on the remote and I do not have these issues. The other thing I've read is that having "Remote Start" turned on can cause this. Whenever you connect to a network, you will have the option to enable or disable "remote start" and I've always had that turned off...

Can you verify these 2 things are off?
Thanks for your response. It says I'm up to date when I try to update software and that's with Android 8.0. I'm not disputing that 9.0 is out there, it just doesn't seem to want to update to it (yet?). I did check Remote Start and that was already in Off. I also set the Illumination LED to Simple Response. It has shut off once since then. It was exactly on the half hour so I'm going to be noting the time going forward to make sure it's not some kind of power option thing.
Just to follow up. I have been having few to no problems lately. In addition to your LED Simple Response change, I disabled Samba TV (again) and changed a power setting. One or all of these things apparently fixed it. I thought I had Samba TV disabled but it wasn't. Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
Any more experiences with 6555 firmware? I'm itching to update it but still ever so cautious, lol. Not like I want everyone else to be the guinea pig haha, but it's such a pain you can't downgrade/go back after you update.

·
Registered
566 Posts
i actually notice my harmony remote to be less responsive now....there was supposed to be a fix where sometimes it stops working, but now i feel like it's not working from certain areas/ranges

Reactions: ES_Revenge

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
i actually notice my harmony remote to be less responsive now....there was supposed to be a fix where sometimes it stops working, but now i feel like it's not working from certain areas/ranges
TBH the remote and remote sensor (both) are flat out the worst Sony IR stuff I've ever used. And I've been using Sony TVs since the 80s when I was a kid and the IR was better, far better, on a 27-28" cabinet CRT from back then than the Z9D could ever hope to be! :eek:

The included remote...ugh, if you take a look at the IR window (easily seen when you pull the back off for battery replacement) it's tiny and pitiful! Why didn't they make the whole top/front of the remote the window like it is on every other remote? Plus many remotes these days omit the red-tinted window anyway and just have an exposed IR LED (including tons of Sony remotes). If you take off the back/battery cover the remote actually works a lot better.

But let's forget the remote for a second, use a different remote. I mean who uses any TV's included remote anyway? Not me! But no no you are foiled once again by Sony's worst IR receiver in history! :facepalm: Or at least the worst that I've come across.

Most Sony IR is incredibly good, and can hit at any angle, from near/far, through blankets, and the TV/device does that thing. Sometimes it's even too good as in when you want to press certain things on the remote but don't want to hit the device with the signal. But Z9D? No man you gotta make sure you drill a small hole is your remote and attach a rabbit's foot keychain there, rub that and then say a few prayers, throw some salt over your shoulder and then maybe...maybe the command will hit the TV :laugh: Okay slight exaggeration, but anyway the IR sucks on this TV...not sure what they were thinking.

·
Registered
566 Posts
TBH the remote and remote sensor (both) are flat out the worst Sony IR stuff I've ever used. And I've been using Sony TVs since the 80s when I was a kid and the IR was better, far better, on a 27-28" cabinet CRT from back then than the Z9D could ever hope to be! :eek:

The included remote...ugh, if you take a look at the IR window (easily seen when you pull the back off for battery replacement) it's tiny and pitiful! Why didn't they make the whole top/front of the remote the window like it is on every other remote? Plus many remotes these days omit the red-tinted window anyway and just have an exposed IR LED (including tons of Sony remotes). If you take off the back/battery cover the remote actually works a lot better.

But let's forget the remote for a second, use a different remote. I mean who uses any TV's included remote anyway? Not me! But no no you are foiled once again by Sony's worst IR receiver in history! :facepalm: Or at least the worst that I've come across.

Most Sony IR is incredibly good, and can hit at any angle, from near/far, through blankets, and the TV/device does that thing. Sometimes it's even too good as in when you want to press certain things on the remote but don't want to hit the device with the signal. But Z9D? No man you gotta make sure you drill a small hole is your remote and attach a rabbit's foot keychain there, rub that and then say a few prayers, throw some salt over your shoulder and then maybe...maybe the command will hit the TV :laugh: Okay slight exaggeration, but anyway the IR sucks on this TV...not sure what they were thinking.
i'm glad i'm not the only one that thinks this :)

Reactions: ES_Revenge

·
Registered
3,478 Posts
I hear you on this... my Z9D, 930E, and A1E all are the same which is why I have a dedicated IR blaster from the Harmony Hubs in the sweet spot for all of them. Was using IP control until I learned these TVs like to consume 20w in standby when that is enabled...

·
Premium Member
2,639 Posts
I hear you on this... my Z9D, 930E, and A1E all are the same which is why I have a dedicated IR blaster from the Harmony Hubs in the sweet spot for all of them. Was using IP control until I learned these TVs like to consume 20w in standby when that is enabled...
I'm not experiencing any problems with my TVs sensor. I never use the remote (other than to program my Pronto remote). I use a Philips TSU9400 with my systems that have my Sony TVs in them and find that the combination works well. My suspicion from what you guys are saying is that the remote is actually the real problem.

·
Registered
3,478 Posts
I'm not experiencing any problems with my TVs sensor. I never use the remote (other than to program my Pronto remote). I use a Philips TSU9400 with my systems that have my Sony TVs in them and find that the combination works well. My suspicion from what you guys are saying is that the remote is actually the real problem.
We are just saying the range of acceptance for IR signals is relatively limited. I don't use the Sony remote either, as I mentioned I use the Harmony and even using the IR blaster from it, the TVs can be picky about where they are located. This is across 3 different model Sony TVs and 3 Harmony remotes, so I would be very surprised if it was anything other than the TV's IR receivers. :)

·
Premium Member
2,639 Posts
We are just saying the range of acceptance for IR signals is relatively limited. I don't use the Sony remote either, as I mentioned I use the Harmony and even using the IR blaster from it, the TVs can be picky about where they are located. This is across 3 different model Sony TVs and 3 Harmony remotes, so I would be very surprised if it was anything other than the TV's IR receivers. :)
Well I can't say anything about Harmony remotes and my Sony TVs as I don't use Harmonys in any of the three systems that I have Sony TVs. All three of those systems use Pronto TSU9400s. I do have 4 other systems that I use Harmonys with but they have PC monitors that automatically come on when the AVR is turned on, so there is no turning on or off controls in the remotes. But as I said, my Sonys have always responded very well to the Prontos, even when the remote isn't pointed towards them.

·
Registered
3,478 Posts
Well I can't say anything about Harmony remotes and my Sony TVs as I don't use Harmonys in any of the three systems that I have Sony TVs. All three of those systems use Pronto TSU9400s. I do have 4 other systems that I use Harmonys with but they have PC monitors that automatically come on when the AVR is turned on, so there is no turning on or off controls in the remotes. But as I said, my Sonys have always responded very well to the Prontos, even when the remote isn't pointed towards them.
Yeah, I didn't see anyone state they didn't respond well when they receive the command, we are just saying the range of acceptance is a tad more limited compared to other devices.

My IR blasters from the Harmony are down to the side of the TVs and they work fine, they just need better line of sight compared to my other devices. Whereas all my AVRs, consoles, 4K Blu-ray players, etc. are fine with bounce commands off of objects.

·
Premium Member
2,639 Posts
Yeah, I didn't see anyone state they didn't respond well when they receive the command, we are just saying the range of acceptance is a tad more limited compared to other devices.

My IR blasters from the Harmony are down to the side of the TVs and they work fine, they just need better line of sight compared to my other devices. Whereas all my AVRs, consoles, 4K Blu-ray players, etc. are fine with bounce commands off of objects.
All I'm saying is that I haven't observed that using my Pronto remotes.

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
Is it still a thing that these tvs don’t justify a expensive calibrations since the 10pt settings aren’t locked or has that changed? Wondering whether paying a professional to calibrate my 75Z9D might save me money by not having to upgrade sets for another 2-3 years or so

Reactions: Shawn1368

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
No ones had their Z9D calibrated...??

22381 - 22400 of 22571 Posts