AVS Forum banner

4521 - 4540 of 22547 Posts

·
Registered
5,513 Posts
Totally bad luck for me. I purchased it and shipped it to Dubai where I live since this model has not been released here, so I see very small chance I can get any help from Dubai SONY customer care. And I don't think the warranty will cover anything since I am using it not in the same country I made the purchase. I blame myself not be patient enough to wait for an official release of this model in my region. But it's only because I REALLY LOVE this TV which leads to such a thoughtless move. The shipment cost of such a big TV is extremely high, so now I can only hope if SONY can offer me some help.
See if you can download the latest firmware and put it on a micro SD card/USB or whatever card the TV accepts. Maybe it will boot to that. Worth a try.

try this
https://esupport.sony.com/US/p/model-home.pl?mdl=XBR75Z9D&LOC=3#/downloadTab

and then this
https://esupport.sony.com/US/p/swu-download.pl?mdl=XBR75Z9D&upd_id=10944&os_group_id=18

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
It's for people like me who are trying to decide between the Sony and LG OLED, and might have been misled by member helvetica bold's selective quoting.
Just a suggestion, if you are trying to decide and are looking for reviews then I suggest you actually go to the review itself and read it vice counting on anyone in any of these forums quoting the "full" story. No need to have "opposing" views stated in these owner's threads (which are meant only to incite)...just go to the source (the actual review) and read for yourself.

·
All That Jazz
1,176 Posts
Just a suggestion, if you are trying to decide and are looking for reviews then I suggest you actually go to the review itself and read it vice counting on anyone in any of these forums quoting the "full" story. No need to have "opposing" views stated in these owner's threads (which are meant only to incite)...just go to the source (the actual review) and read for yourself.
Agreed, and the link to that review was posted on this owner's thread yesterday. Not sure why portions of that review have to be quoted over here.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I asked the same question on the OLED forum since I'm buying one of the two tomorrow, so it wouldn't be fair of me to make a decision with asking here.

65" lg e6p or the Sony z9d
?

Which would you choose, which is better?

I'd really love some honest input between both from folks who own the Sony.

HDR quality.
Standard definition up conversion quality?
Banding issues?
Screen uniformity issues?
Concerns about lack of Dolby Vision?

Any input and insight from the other end of the OLED vs LCD spectrum would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
137 Posts
The 3D is much better on the OLED, in case that's anything you're considering. I compared several titles in the store, and the Sony had crosstalk (probably due to its active glasses) whereas the OLED had almost nothing (probably due to its passive glasses). Better-mastered titles like Avatar and Captain America: Civil War had none on the LG, while poorly-mastered titles like X-Men: Apocalypse had just a tiny bit here and there. But the Sony showed every bad crosstalk artifact in X-Men: Apocalypse (just like my Sharp Elite does), and even had some on titles like Avatar.

The color on both TVs looked gorgeous to me, especially on HDR titles. However, the blacks were darker on the LG OLED. I didn't view a title with DolbyVision, but note that the LG has it and the Sony doesn't. The Sony also has fewer HDMI 2.0a ports for 4K, in case that's important to you. (The other two HDMI slots are the older 1.4 type that only support 30 fps.)

Note that I'm looking at the 75-inch Sony XBR75Z9D vs. the 77-inch LG OLED77G6P, so there's always a chance that the 65-inch sizes of both have some differences, and that the E6P has differences from the G6P.

·
Registered
489 Posts
I asked the same question on the OLED forum since I'm buying one of the two tomorrow, so it wouldn't be fair of me to make a decision with asking here.

65" lg e6p or the Sony z9d
?

Which would you choose, which is better?

I'd really love some honest input between both from folks who own the Sony.

HDR quality.
Standard definition up conversion quality?
Banding issues?
Screen uniformity issues?
Concerns about lack of Dolby Vision?

Any input and insight from the other end of the OLED vs LCD spectrum would be greatly appreciated.
They're both really good. You should probably mostly base your decision on your own eyes. At 65", I think I would personally probably go with the LG, since it's cheaper at that size, but it's a close call. At 75"/77", that flips.

But they both have flaws, so if you're sensitive to the flaws of one over the other, that may be the deciding factor. For the LG, some people have trouble with the scaling, motion handling, or near-black performance. For the Z, some people have problems with off-axis viewing, slight haloing, or ghosting. Blacks are a little deeper on the LG. HDR is a little more stunning on the Z.

I'm not too worried about the lack of Dolby Vision, but nobody really knows what the future holds, so it might end up being a bigger issue in the future. I think both can have screen uniformity issues if you get a bad panel, but good panels for both are quite good. Anecdotally from these forums, it seems like the chance of a bad panel is higher with LG, but that's not definitive. As long as you buy from a reputable dealer, it should be fine either way.

Long story short, I think you can't go wrong with either.

·
All That Jazz
1,176 Posts
Reactions: yosM45

·
Registered
489 Posts
I view that thread as a place for the children to work out their aggression and keep it out of this thread. I'm quite happy it exists, but I don't know how useful it is for anyone actually seeking information.

·
Registered
38 Posts
The 3D is much better on the OLED, in case that's anything you're considering. I compared several titles in the store, and the Sony had crosstalk (probably due to its active glasses) whereas the OLED had almost nothing (probably due to its passive glasses). Better-mastered titles like Avatar and Captain America: Civil War had none on the LG, while poorly-mastered titles like X-Men: Apocalypse had just a tiny bit here and there. But the Sony showed every bad crosstalk artifact in X-Men: Apocalypse (just like my Sharp Elite does), and even had some on titles like Avatar.
I could not disagree more. 3D is one of my primary considerations when I purchase a TV, and I have recently purchased the 75-Z9D. I have stated my reasons in threads before, but I have to add that I have seen over 40 titles on mine by now. I have seen quite a few on my friend's e6 as well. We both agree the overall experience is much better on the z9 thanks to its brightness. In my opinion the difference is quite significant, but I guess I have had the luxury of being able to compare them at length in a home theater setting. Don't get me wrong, the OLED has a lot of strong points as well, just that 3D is not one of them.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I could not disagree more. 3D is one of my primary considerations when I purchase a TV, and I have recently purchased the 75-Z9D. I have stated my reasons in threads before, but I have to add that I have seen over 40 titles on mine by now. I have seen quite a few on my friend's e6 as well. We both agree the overall experience is much better on the z9 thanks to its brightness. In my opinion the difference is quite significant, but I guess I have had the luxury of being able to compare them at length in a home theater setting. Don't get me wrong, the OLED has a lot of strong points as well, just that 3D is not one of them.
I compared several 3D titles myself between the OLED65G6P Signature and Sony XBR-75Z9D and concur with you that the Sony is brighter. However, there's just too much crosstalk on the Sony for me as compared to the LG. I also felt that the depth was better on the LG.

Did you check out those two example times I posted earlier regarding X-Men: Apocalypse 3D? When I saw them on the Sony (and for most of the movie), the crosstalk was quite noticeable. On the LG, nearly nonexistent.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Two good examples of bad 3D crosstalk on my TV are at 18:07 (right at the beginning of the 3rd chapter) and at 35:53 (a little bit past the 6th chapter).
I have watched the full disc now and have not noticed anything significant in terms of crosstalk. Its there in certain scenes, but its minor. I have to say its not one of of the best 3D discs I have seen, its par for the course. Overall good experience. I will try to watch it on an e6 soon and get back to you.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I compared several 3D titles myself between the OLED65G6P Signature and Sony XBR-75Z9D and concur with you that the Sony is brighter. However, there's just too much crosstalk on the Sony for me as compared to the LG. I also felt that the depth was better on the LG.

Did you check out those two example times I posted earlier regarding X-Men: Apocalypse 3D? When I saw them on the Sony (and for most of the movie), the crosstalk was quite noticeable. On the LG, nearly nonexistent.
Ok I am a bit surprised on that, I did finish the disc just now. Nothing really significant honestly. Its not great, but not bad either. I am not sure but maybe you prefer passive to active? I am intrigued and will see it over the weekend on my friend's e6 and get back to you.

·
Registered
17,407 Posts
They're both really good. You should probably mostly base your decision on your own eyes. At 65", I think I would personally probably go with the LG, since it's cheaper at that size, but it's a close call. At 75"/77", that flips.

But they both have flaws, so if you're sensitive to the flaws of one over the other, that may be the deciding factor. For the LG, some people have trouble with the scaling, motion handling, or near-black performance. For the Z, some people have problems with off-axis viewing, slight haloing, or ghosting. Blacks are a little deeper on the LG. HDR is a little more stunning on the Z.

I'm not too worried about the lack of Dolby Vision, but nobody really knows what the future holds, so it might end up being a bigger issue in the future. I think both can have screen uniformity issues if you get a bad panel, but good panels for both are quite good. Anecdotally from these forums, it seems like the chance of a bad panel is higher with LG, but that's not definitive. As long as you buy from a reputable dealer, it should be fine either way.

Long story short, I think you can't go wrong with either.
For the sake of discussion, I'd say that both TVs are compromises and if you can wait till next model year, you might be more pleased with what's available.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Ok I am a bit surprised on that, I did finish the disc just now. Nothing really significant honestly. Its not great, but not bad either. I am not sure but maybe you prefer passive to active? I am intrigued and will see it over the weekend on my friend's e6 and get back to you.
You know, it occurs to me that since I tried it out in the store, that the 3D glasses may have had a low charge and perhaps that contributed to the crosstalk? There was also some jutter when I watched it, like the opening scene as the camera flies across the sand dunes. I'll have to go back and look again, making sure I get fully charged glasses.

In general I do prefer passive to active glasses since no charge is required and they're lighter, but the theatre to which I go the most doesn't use RealD, so it's always active glasses.

·
Registered
489 Posts
For the sake of discussion, I'd say that both TVs are compromises and if you can wait till next model year, you might be more pleased with what's available.
It's hard to know when the right time to buy is. There will always be something better coming, and nothing will ever be perfect.

·
Registered
38 Posts
You know, it occurs to me that since I tried it out in the store, that the 3D glasses may have had a low charge and perhaps that contributed to the crosstalk? There was also some jutter when I watched it, like the opening scene as the camera flies across the sand dunes. I'll have to go back and look again, making sure I get fully charged glasses.

In general I do prefer passive to active glasses since no charge is required and they're lighter, but the theatre to which I go the most doesn't use RealD, so it's always active glasses.
I am also not sure. I have also heard that if the glasses are too far then there can be more crosstalk (no idea if accurate). Try getting a bit closer to the tv. I personally prefer active as I feel better image detail and depth. The usual downside of active is a dim screen with flicker. Its a personal preference but I do know a few guys who just can't watch active at all.

Edit: I just remembered that a long while back I had a bad hdmi cable which caused unbearable cross talk on an older tv. Theoretically that is not possible but I have first hand experience that a bad cable can also cause this.

4521 - 4540 of 22547 Posts