AVS Forum banner

14361 - 14380 of 22569 Posts

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
I like their promise; but what else would they say if they wanted to sell their remaining inventory? If you had one product line and were going totally out of business; how much of a support staff would you continue to pay (with no current/future revenue)?

It's not like Apple discontinuing the ATV4k and saying they will continue support. They would still be a big business that must maintain their reputation/good will.

You’re right, there’s nothing holding them to their word. But I think they as a company take pride in their work and the legacy they have created

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
I like their promise; but what else would they say if they wanted to sell their remaining inventory? If you had one product line and were going totally out of business; how much of a support staff would you continue to pay (with no current/future revenue)?

It's not like Apple discontinuing the ATV4k and saying they will continue support. They would still be a big business that must maintain their reputation/good will.
You have to remember that OPPO as a company is not going out of business...they are just shutting down the audio/video line. So basically anything "we" care about is going away but the company will still be around. They expect to be selling product into the third quarter or more (based on inventory and last production run and current/expected demand) and have made it clear they are only waiting on Dolby certification of the new firmware for low latency.

·
Registered
3,478 Posts

Oppo is a massive company that sells 10s of millions of phones every quarter. They are just closing the doors on their smaller American AV division in regards to manufacturing and since they can pull almost half a billion dollars in operating profit per quarter, it shouldn't be too much of a burden for them to pay engineers to support their AV products for a couple years.

·
Registered
6,268 Posts
Oppo is a massive company that sells 10s of millions of phones every quarter. They are just closing the doors on their smaller American AV division in regards to manufacturing and since they can pull almost half a billion dollars in operating profit per quarter, it shouldn't be too much of a burden for them to pay engineers to support their AV products for a couple years.
Duh! Shows how much I know. :)

·
Registered
3,478 Posts
Duh! Shows how much I know. :)
Haha, no worries! I was only trying to frame the situation and ease any concern.

I look forward to trying out my small handful of Dolby Vision titles on my Z but to be honest, I have been more than pleased with the HDR10 performance on it with the Z.

Currently slowly watching Blue Planet II and between the player and the Z, I can safely say I've never seen image quality so good!

·
Registered
137 Posts
At some point late last year, the YouTube app on my XBR-75Z9D started having problems with its verbal search function. Has anyone else experienced this problem? Used to be that I would load the YouTube app, go to search, and just say what I wanted it to look for. Worked nearly flawlessly. Now whenever I try that, it dings and says there's a problem and to search a different way. There's been two firmware updates since this problem began, and it still doesn't work. Restarting the TV doesn't fix it either.
Did you disable Bluetooth on the TV by any chance?

While the remote uses IR for most commands, it sends the voice data to the TV via Bluetooth. (I wish it used Bluetooth for regular commands too because line of sight is a pain!)
No, Bluetooth is still on. Also, how would the remote send voice data to the TV via Bluetooth since there's no microphone in the remote? I tested it, and it makes no difference whether the remote is next to me or in the other room, or whether Bluetooth is on or off; YouTube voice search either works or it doesn't (usually it doesn't these days), and there's no correlation to having the remote nearby or Bluetooth on or off.

I find the Android operating system very unfriendly and far from intuitive, so I haven't been able to find a way to remove the YouTube app and re-install it. Can anyone tell me how to do this (assuming it's even possible)? The only thing that has changed on my TV is the Sony firmware updates. But it makes no sense that everyone else with the same firmware has no problem with YouTube voice commands, but on my TV it's broken.

Is there a support number for Sony I could call for help? When I owned a Sharp Elite, I had a dedicated Concierge line. Anything like that for the Z9D?

Thanks to everyone for your help with this! I was really bummed the Bluetooth suggestion wasn't the answer.

·
Registered
3,478 Posts
No, Bluetooth is still on. Also, how would the remote send voice data to the TV via Bluetooth since there's no microphone in the remote? I tested it, and it makes no difference whether the remote is next to me or in the other room, or whether Bluetooth is on or off; YouTube voice search either works or it doesn't (usually it doesn't these days), and there's no correlation to having the remote nearby or Bluetooth on or off.

I find the Android operating system very unfriendly and far from intuitive, so I haven't been able to find a way to remove the YouTube app and re-install it. Can anyone tell me how to do this (assuming it's even possible)? The only thing that has changed on my TV is the Sony firmware updates. But it makes no sense that everyone else with the same firmware has no problem with YouTube voice commands, but on my TV it's broken.

Is there a support number for Sony I could call for help? When I owned a Sharp Elite, I had a dedicated Concierge line. Anything like that for the Z9D?

Thanks to everyone for your help with this! I was really bummed the Bluetooth suggestion wasn't the answer.
There is indeed a microphone on the remote, if I recall correctly, it is at the bottom of the remote where you press the button to release the battery door.

Honestly no idea how you managed to get voice commands to work at one point with the remote in the other room.

If you go to the Bluetooth section on the TV, you should see the remote is paired. If the remote is not paired, that may be your problem. Both my Z and 930E show their remotes as BT paired.

To pair it (from the Amazon Product Page):
This is required for the voice feature to work. Here is how to pair the remote:

1. Press the Home button on the remote
2. Select Settings
3. Select Voice Remote Control in the Network & Accessories category
4. Select Activate the (microphone) button
5. Follow the onscreen instruction

·
Registered
683 Posts
...Just received my network hard wired Sony Update. Just waiting on Dolby's testing of the Oppo Firmware so those of us who have the Oppo UHD Player can enjoy DV Disc play. Crying shame about Oppo ! :crying:

... I hope Oppo A/V Staff that designed their line of disc players get gobbled up by someone else/some other company that wants to make top of the line A/V equipment ! :)

·
Vendor
26,685 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Latest news from oppo on Dolby vision

We are going through the certification process with Dolby to allow the player to be compatible with the Dolby Vision Low Latency Mode that is being used by your Sony television. This certification process will likely be resolved in less than a month, so the firmware is forthcoming.

Best Regards,

Customer Service
OPPO Digital, Inc.
162 Constitution Dr.
Menlo Park, CA 94025
[email protected]
Tel: 650-961-1118
Fax: 650-961-1119

·
Registered
137 Posts
There is indeed a microphone on the remote, if I recall correctly, it is at the bottom of the remote where you press the button to release the battery door.

Honestly no idea how you managed to get voice commands to work at one point with the remote in the other room.

If you go to the Bluetooth section on the TV, you should see the remote is paired. If the remote is not paired, that may be your problem. Both my Z and 930E show their remotes as BT paired.

To pair it (from the Amazon Product Page):
Indeed, you were correct. Somehow the remote had gotten "unpaired" from the TV, and I found the hidden microphone. All this time I thought it was the TV listening, not the remote. Thanks for solving the problem!

·
Registered
3,478 Posts
Indeed, you were correct. Somehow the remote had gotten "unpaired" from the TV, and I found the hidden microphone. All this time I thought it was the TV listening, not the remote. Thanks for solving the problem!
No problem, glad that got it working for you again. I was wrong about one thing though, the mic looks to be at the top of the remote between the two pieces, for some reason I was thinking it was on the bottom.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Guys i follow this thread from the beginning hoping that 1 day i would buy a zd9 or a a1e or a c7.
Now that i have my zd9 i really don't get all the fuzz about the android problems that constantly people moaning about more than a year.
This is because of firmware updates that fixed this troubles?
I honestly have melted in front of the tv the last days calibrating and watching netflix or Amazon prime or plex and not a single time a saw a hickup really.

To me after used the LG webos which is fast if you are a point/click guy(which i am not) i dont see a real benefit of webos and plus you got android if you want to install anything extra where webos is very limited.
Another minus for webos for me is the updates because my 2014 webos led hasnt received an app update for some time now but instead my zd9 because its android it will loose this ability when an app that you want cannot run in android 7.

·
Registered
570 Posts
I would assume they would hold to there word even though they are closing.......:(
Even in the worst case scenario that everyone from Oppo Digital dropped everything and ran away to a desert island, the private beta testers presumably have the firmware (and Dolby definitely has it). So it'd leak out anyway.

Unlike some other companies I could mention,:rolleyes: Oppo has always played it straight. Zero reason for concern.

·
Registered
6,268 Posts
Even in the worst case scenario that everyone from Oppo Digital dropped everything and ran away to a desert island, the private beta testers presumably have the firmware (and Dolby definitely has it). So it'd leak out anyway.

Unlike some other companies I could mention,:rolleyes: Oppo has always played it straight. Zero reason for concern.
One, Dolby isn't going to directly release software for the OPPO and expose their company to liability for problems.

Two, how straight was OPPO playing it when for the last "x" number of months they knew they would be closing their video business? I'm sure they sold players to lots of people, during that period, that would not have made the purchase if they knew OPPO would be going out of business in a few months. The fact that they played it straight in the past (when they were an ongoing entity) was good business practice; because they were concerned with their reputation/good will. That motivation doesn't necessarily translate to what can be expected of a going out of business company.

I'm not saying people should immediately panic about software maintenance or warranty support; however "Zero reason for concern" seems a little naive.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi there to all,

I've been a very happy owner of the XBR75Z9D for over a year now. It took me until around September of last year to figure out I did not have the enhanced color option set correctly. Yikes, it was sad to see what I missed for 9 months.

My setup includes a Yamaha A3070 Aventage receiver and an Apple 4K box.

Anyway, a few weeks ago, I went through this entire thread, trying to see what else I should or could be doing better. I've also been waiting on the infamous Dolby Vision update. For some reason, until now, I never received an automatic update to the 2818 software. Nor was I able to force an update through the TV menu (it said I was up to date). I was stuck on 2676. This morning however, I was able to select an update to the 2858.0082 software. So, one question about this - will this now enable me to see movies in Dolby Vision (assuming I eventually get the Apple DV update - I'm still on 11.2.6)?

One other question. I don't have many data points yet but it appears that every so often, the TV screen is now "blinking". All of a sudden there will be a "blink", like the picture was lost and then everything is OK, for awhile. This happened today on the Golf Channel. I think it also happened on a local NBC channel. Is this frame dropping? Has anyone else observed this?

Thanks in advance!

14361 - 14380 of 22569 Posts