AVS Forum banner

61 - 80 of 170 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Wow. That's no joke. I think my stand is about 70" wide. I guess that's too short. How wide are the feet in the middle position? How are you currently positioning it?

·
Registered
88 Posts
My eyeballs are 10', exactly from the screen. I can get to within 1 m (Yes, I've lived in several metric countries--actually, it's everywhere except the USA and the Ivory Coast) without seeing pixel structure. So, I don't think your distance is too close. In fact, it'll probably give you an almost complete field of view and better than my 2.85 m. My stand is also 420mm high and it puts the center of the screen exactly at my eyeball height. There are reports that the set is sensitive to the vertical viewing angle, so getting a relatively low stand height is important. I'm temporarily using the stand that Sony made for the 70" Qualia SXRD RPTV, but i'm planning to make a less deep and wider stand so that I can use the end positions for the TV feet.
im probably going to be using the inner stands since I have a 75" stand only. I'm just getting a little nervous because im hearing a lot of people saying that it's not stable enough? Would Sony even put out that option if it's going to topple over with a little gust?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I don't have answer to your question about the width when stand is pulled inwards. I will keep them on the edges though. This thing is too big and heavy to manhandle.

I'm researching stands at the moment and right now TV is just standing on the floor :)

I have shortlisted two options. Either the Innovex Oxford 83" ($300) or a wooden custom made ($400) from a carpenter in Austin.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
im probably going to be using the inner stands since I have a 75" stand only. I'm just getting a little nervous because im hearing a lot of people saying that it's not stable enough? Would Sony even put out that option if it's going to topple over with a little gust?
Had no problems with the narrow stand position. I just think the wide stance looks better, and I like a stand that's as wide as the TV. I made mine from two IKEA 4' wide TV stands side by side, and an IKEA kitchen countertop that was a little over 8' wide. Black stands and black top, with a silver edge band and two SS bases. Cut the top to 18" depth with a saw. All up cost was less than $200. Wife likes it and she was the driver. She wanted the clean look of the side speakers. I have an Atmos setup in my man cave.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Beauteous! Yes, it doesn't actually look bad at all. You have some fine looking speakers too.

Good to know it is stable.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I am replacing a 70" Sharp (being relegated to the bedroom). The room has a lot of light. I had been debating between the 2015 Sony 75" (850C) or possibly going with a 910/940C of the same size. But then I look at the prices and see that I can get an extra four inches for a price under 5K and I'm wondering why I shouldn't just get this one.

I will keep digging but if anyone has buyer's remorse or envy for the newer and smaller Sony TVs, would love to hear from you.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I actually just did something similar. I replaced my 65" sharp, which will be going to the bedroom as well. I've only had my TV for 1 day, but I've been playing with it non stop, and boy do I love it. I finally got it setup with my PC, and with receiver. it took a little bit of work because I dont have a 4k receiver, so I had to do some finangling to get 4k from my PC via HDMI and then audio to the receiver via optical.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Just ordered mine today. Was going to risk east coast TVs or one of the other shady places but went with B&H. They can't advertise the current price, but I got the following:

TV for 4498.
250 in B&H gift cards for free.
Sony 4K FMP-X10 player for free (698 value, apparently).
Free shipping.

Pretty good deal for what was Sony's flagship of 2014 IMO, although I was quite tempted by the 2015 850Cs. Ultimately an extra 4 inches of screen pushed me over the edge. Fingers crossed it's a good one..

·
Registered
7 Posts
How high is y'all's stand? Is 2 feet a good height considering you want to watch 3D content from 10 feet distance?

·
Registered
88 Posts
I am about 9.5 feet away. Stand is about 18 inches tall. I would say I'm roughly eye level but I wouldn't mind the TV being lower since I tend to slouch back when watching shows.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I've been debating on the 940c vs. this 900b.

I own a 55x900b and a 65x900a. The 900a picture is superior to the 900b hands down with the QD technology. I've seen the 940c at BestBuy and I cant justify 4 less inches for $3500 more over the 79x900b.

Think I'm gonna throw the 900A in my bedroom seeing as it's PQ is superior to 900b (and 930c) and use this 79x900b for Main Living Room/Sports. I haven't read one bad review on it's ability to show off Football games.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I went with a simplistic setup. Moved the legs inward, and put the TV on a $200 stand from Costco.

BTW, I find it interesting that people love/hate the front speakers of 79X900B but no one appreciates the two woofers on the back. Attached a picture of one.

Attachments

·
Registered
71 Posts
Just ordered mine today. Was going to risk east coast TVs or one of the other shady places but went with B&H. They can't advertise the current price, but I got the following:

TV for 4498.
250 in B&H gift cards for free.
Sony 4K FMP-X10 player for free (698 value, apparently).
Free shipping.

Pretty good deal for what was Sony's flagship of 2014 IMO, although I was quite tempted by the 2015 850Cs. Ultimately an extra 4 inches of screen pushed me over the edge. Fingers crossed it's a good one..
That's a good price - especially from an authorized dealer.
Does anyone know if this model has HDR capabilities - either OTB or via firmware down the road?

·
Registered
65 Posts
I just got the xbr79x900b from buydig (on ebay) for $3499, which I found on slick deals). Buydig is an "AUTHORIZED" Sony Dealer for warranty purposes. They shipped the TV rather quickly, it was huge, the feet are already attached on the 79" model. (The sale was over after 100 units, but just today 8-26-15, they started selling 100 more.. Search slick deals for "4k tv Sony".

Honestly, I don't mind the speakers at all, the black gloss looks nice to me. Also the sound is really great. My wife accidentally turned off the stereo and was using the TV and she couldn't tell the difference, lol though her shows (soap operas and dramas) don't require a subwoofer! LOL. I can pretty much be sure that if I got the wireless subwoofer for this TV that it would cost you $600 for a stereo that can beat the sound of this TV.

3D works great with the latest firmware update. I read that the 79" uses an LG LED display which would explain why my side viewing angle is great. I sit off to the side where our main sofa is center to TV.. I know on my old TV the viewing angle issue was noticeable on this one, not at all.

However because it might be using the LG LED, I think the picture levels are different to that of it's 65" x900b counterpart that everyone raves best picture ever on LED. Don't get me wrong, my picture quality is amazing and I say that to my wife every time we watch the TV (still in honeymoon phase), but it took me a lot of tweaking to get the picture to my satisfaction. I HAVE NO LIGHT BLEED WHAT SO EVER, so I guess YMMV with this TV, but mine is perfect).

Right out of the box the picture is beautiful, but they really set the contrast high to show off the blacks and such. Well, if there is a shade of grey in the scene or something in the shadows, I want to see it.. But I don't want the picture washed out.. Therefore I'll share my settings with you and tell me what you think (on your new Sony 79" 4k 3D LED).

I chose to start with Standard instead of Cinema 1 which so many others do.. I'll try tweaking Cinema 1 in the future, but for now I'm using standard. Also remember that every mode/input uses different settings, so you'll need to customize each separately. (i.e., even though my Satellite and Smart TV are both on INPUT 1, they still use different picture settings because it's in a different mode)

One thing you need to be sure to do is go into "Setttings" / "Preferences" / "Eco" / and turn your Light Sensor off... At night it made the TV way to dark.

Picture Mode: Standard
BackLight: 7
Picture: 85
Brightness: 55
Color: 60
Hue: 0
Color Temp: Warm 1
Sharp: 50
Noise Reducation: off
MPeG reduc: off
Dot Noise reduc: off
Reality Creation: Auto
Smooth Gradation: Off
MootionFlow: Standard
Cinemotion: Auto
---------------------------------
Advanced
Black Corrector: Low (some may like this higher for deeper blacks)
Adv. Contrast Enhancer: Off (some may like this on for more contrast pop)
Gamma +2
LED Dynamic Control: Standard
Auto Light Limiter: Medium
Clear White: off (this feature is cool though, will make white things pure white, even if using warm1 or warm 2 modes).
Live Color: Low
White Balance: (All 0's) though if someone has pro calibrated this, please share
Detail Enhancer: off
Edge Enhancer: off
Skin Naturalizer: on
Display Speed Preference: off

There ya go everyone.. Have fun and enjoy 4k!

OH One last thing, the 4k Upscalling on this TV is amazing, best I've seen.. Every show that is 1080 or 720 looks like 4k on this thing. It's seriously amazing compared to an 80" 1080p TV, you can get so close and see no compression or artifacting. standard broadcast 320 x whatever, still looks like crap in 4k just like it did in 1080p.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I went with a simplistic setup. Moved the legs inward, and put the TV on a $200 stand from Costco.

BTW, I find it interesting that people love/hate the front speakers of 79X900B but no one appreciates the two woofers on the back. Attached a picture of one.
I notice you have an additional sound setup. Is that the wireless sub for the x900b TV's? Or a separate surround sound system you use? What can you say about the default sound of the TV?

·
Registered
65 Posts
And I thought I got a good price! :(
You probably did, as you have been enjoying your TV much longer than I have :)

**Update** oh, I saw you JUST purchased it but you still got the Sony 4K FMP-X10 which I would love to have right now as there really isn't much 4K for me to watch.

·
Registered
7 Posts

I notice you have an additional sound setup. Is that the wireless sub for the x900b TV's? Or a separate surround sound system you use? What can you say about the default sound of the TV?
I have a rather simple 5.1 sound system. Yamaha HTR-3067 with Harman Kardon HKTS16 speaker set. That subwoofer is a wired part of the HK sound system.

I like the internal TV speakers and I use them while watching TV content but for movies or any content which has 5.1 audio available, I prefer the surround sound.

In general I'm a fan of the X900B speakers because not only they sound awesome, they also add a unique character to this TV.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I just got the xbr79x900b from buydig (on ebay) for $3499, which I found on slick deals). Buydig is an "AUTHORIZED" Sony Dealer for warranty purposes. They shipped the TV rather quickly, it was huge, the feet are already attached on the 79" model. (The sale was over after 100 units, but just today 8-26-15, they started selling 100 more.. Search slick deals for "4k tv Sony".

Honestly, I don't mind the speakers at all, the black gloss looks nice to me. Also the sound is really great. My wife accidentally turned off the stereo and was using the TV and she couldn't tell the difference, lol though her shows (soap operas and dramas) don't require a subwoofer! LOL. I can pretty much be sure that if I got the wireless subwoofer for this TV that it would cost you $600 for a stereo that can beat the sound of this TV.

3D works great with the latest firmware update. I read that the 79" uses an LG LED display which would explain why my side viewing angle is great. I sit off to the side where our main sofa is center to TV.. I know on my old TV the viewing angle issue was noticeable on this one, not at all.

However because it might be using the LG LED, I think the picture levels are different to that of it's 65" x900b counterpart that everyone raves best picture ever on LED. Don't get me wrong, my picture quality is amazing and I say that to my wife every time we watch the TV (still in honeymoon phase), but it took me a lot of tweaking to get the picture to my satisfaction. I HAVE NO LIGHT BLEED WHAT SO EVER, so I guess YMMV with this TV, but mine is perfect).

Right out of the box the picture is beautiful, but they really set the contrast high to show off the blacks and such. Well, if there is a shade of grey in the scene or something in the shadows, I want to see it.. But I don't want the picture washed out.. Therefore I'll share my settings with you and tell me what you think (on your new Sony 79" 4k 3D LED).

I chose to start with Standard instead of Cinema 1 which so many others do.. I'll try tweaking Cinema 1 in the future, but for now I'm using standard. Also remember that every mode/input uses different settings, so you'll need to customize each separately. (i.e., even though my Satellite and Smart TV are both on INPUT 1, they still use different picture settings because it's in a different mode)

One thing you need to be sure to do is go into "Setttings" / "Preferences" / "Eco" / and turn your Light Sensor off... At night it made the TV way to dark.

Picture Mode: Standard
BackLight: 7
Picture: 85
Brightness: 55
Color: 60
Hue: 0
Color Temp: Warm 1
Sharp: 50
Noise Reducation: off
MPeG reduc: off
Dot Noise reduc: off
Reality Creation: Auto
Smooth Gradation: Off
MootionFlow: Standard
Cinemotion: Auto
---------------------------------
Advanced
Black Corrector: Low (some may like this higher for deeper blacks)
Adv. Contrast Enhancer: Off (some may like this on for more contrast pop)
Gamma +2
LED Dynamic Control: Standard
Auto Light Limiter: Medium
Clear White: off (this feature is cool though, will make white things pure white, even if using warm1 or warm 2 modes).
Live Color: Low
White Balance: (All 0's) though if someone has pro calibrated this, please share
Detail Enhancer: off
Edge Enhancer: off
Skin Naturalizer: on
Display Speed Preference: off

There ya go everyone.. Have fun and enjoy 4k!

OH One last thing, the 4k Upscalling on this TV is amazing, best I've seen.. Every show that is 1080 or 720 looks like 4k on this thing. It's seriously amazing compared to an 80" 1080p TV, you can get so close and see no compression or artifacting. standard broadcast 320 x whatever, still looks like crap in 4k just like it did in 1080p.
That's an insanely good deal. Was it free shipping too?

61 - 80 of 170 Posts