AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 2903 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. Lots of talk, expectations, speculation about this unit. Let's put HX praise, reviews, gripes, observations, calibration settings, etc. in a thread here, away from the massive "2010 Bravia" thread.

So I just received my 52HX909, replacing a 60NX800 that I had for a month. The sticker says it was manufactured in June 2010. Minty fresh.

I have it in a very bright room with floor-to-ceiling windows. In my first couple of hours, I can make a few positive observations:

1. Reflections are significantly darker and less distracting than the NX series

2. Reflections are not doubled as they are in the NX series (due to Opticontrast resin)

3. Off-axis viewing is better than the NX series

Non PQ observations:

1. I can see ribbon connectors through the top of the chassis in the back, likely feeding the matrix or columns of backlighting. Through the same grille in the back, I can also see several columns of white LEDs themselves.

2. The power cord is surprisingly thin, compared to the NX cord and has a non-polarized "electric razor" style end as opposed to the appliance or computer PSU style end.

3. I'm not hearing the plastic warm-up cool-down cracking (yet?) as I did on the NX. It never actually bothered me on the NX, but I see some people here talking about it.

4. The stand swivels (unlike the 60NX800). I suppose it will fit in a slotted metal Sony Bunchin stand (I've seen photos) but SonyStyle isn't currently saying so explicitly.

Not news to anyone following this TV's release but the first real English review appears to be CNET:
http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-t...-33943224.html

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
2,509 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankslate /forum/post/18846893

1. I can see ribbon connectors through the top of the chassis in the back, likely feeding the matrix or columns of backlighting. Through the same grille in the back, I can also see several columns of white LEDs themselves.

Interesting. Do you notice any light bleed from the back? Or is it just the back of the LEDs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankslate /forum/post/18846893

2. The power cord is surprisingly thin, compared to the NX cord and has a non-polarized "electric razor" style end as opposed to the appliance or computer PSU style end.

Detachable?

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Excellent - congrats! Looking forward to more feedback!

On a side note - it's a pleasant surprise if that cool stand is available for HX909 - I would totally get one!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew67 /forum/post/18847026

Interesting. Do you notice any light bleed from the back? Or is it just the back of the LEDs?

Good question. I'll know tonight. I seriously doubt light will bleed from the back -- I'm just being snoopy and looking down inside grilles for clues as to arrangement, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew67 /forum/post/18847026

Detachable?

Yup.

·
Registered
304 Posts
That's good news on the off axis viewing.

Also, I too found the screen managed reflections really well.

On the optional stand, while I thought it looked cool in all the pics, seeing it in person I felt it was a bit overbearing and out of proportion to the screen. JMO there of course.

Knowing the 'go-to' non tweaked settings for initial viewing from the NX, how does the picture clarity compare (with media you are familiar with)?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
A few quick camera phone pics.

Out-of-the-box color.

Sony calls it an XBR. We'll see...

There's that odd RS-232 "wart", apparently distinguishing the HX-900 (Japan & elsewhere?) from the HX-909. I do intend to use it, rather than IR blast.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithgmartinez /forum/post/18848143

Which input is that HDMI cable sticking out of the side in the first picture?

That's HDMI 2.

1 & 4 are on the back.

2 & 3 are on the side.

·
Registered
792 Posts
That out of box color for the game doesn't look half bad. Was it pretty heavy? Two person deal?

Oh, what bluray shall you watch first? I'd go for Star Trek, meself...

1 - 20 of 2903 Posts