AVS Forum banner

1561 - 1580 of 2904 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
I traded in my Panasonic VT25 for a Sony HX903 as well (I live in the UK, this is the UK model of the 909).

The Panny had severe problems with banding, posterisation and motion-handling during camera pans (such as when the camera pans horizontally during a soccer goalkick - there were visible additional lines along the pitch markings and halos around players). These problems are widely discussed on the AV forums and it seems they are very visible with 50 Hz input signals, which is the PAL standard used in the UK and most of Europe. Panasonic wasn't willing to accept there was a problem, so I pursued a refund and bought the Sony instead, which has been flawless so far. Couldn't be happier.

Bear in mind, I don't care much about 3D content, I just wanted the best possible 2D PQ whilst having access to 3D mode for the occasional PS3 gaming session.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekotan /forum/post/0

I traded in my Panasonic VT25 for a Sony HX903 as well (I live in the UK, this is the UK model of the 909).

The Panny had severe problems with banding, posterisation and motion-handling during camera pans (such as when the camera pans horizontally during a soccer goalkick - there were visible additional lines along the pitch markings and halos around players). These problems are widely discussed on the AV forums and it seems they are very visible with 50 Hz input signals, which is the PAL standard used in the UK and most of Europe. Panasonic wasn't willing to accept there was a problem, so I pursued a refund and bought the Sony instead, which has been flawless so far. Couldn't be happier.

Bear in mind, I don't care much about 3D content, I just wanted the best possible 2D PQ whilst having access to 3D mode for the occasional PS3 gaming session.

I did the same, don't mention the camera panning issues on the Plasma forum or they will attack you. When the camera is still the Panasonic is great but he panning issues made my eyes tired. The Sony is better at 3D than I thought it would be, Plasma does win solidly in this area. I love Sony's colors, They are a film company and nobody knows film an Color like Sony. Notice most professional panels are Sony.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakazulu /forum/post/0

Any reason why u will trade the panasonic for the sony?

The Panasonic colors are not for me, I have always Loved Sony's colors. The camera panning on the Panny and flicker bothered me, still a great set with better 3d than any LCD. I Love Sony's XBR and latest 810 series and prefer the soft LCD picture.

·
Registered
394 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakazulu /forum/post/19657082

I believe these will the last great Sony tv we will see in a while cos SONY is going El cheapo based on this Wall street journal article

Once Sony does that (I'm sure they are already doing that) , they won't be able to make "great" TVs anymore , just like PHILIPS.....at least in the LCD/PDP era.

·
Registered
511 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakazulu /forum/post/0

anyone got any recommendation in terms of mount, especially an el cheapo from monoprice

I used the ultra slim mount for my 52" XBR. No tilt or swivel, just keeps tv about 1/2 inch from wall. Looks thin but is holding up my 150lb tv good so far!

MLB-41 in black. Has a built-in level. I believe it was around $17. Great deal!

·
Registered
30 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by madurodave /forum/post/19667829

I used the ultra slim mount for my 52" XBR. No tilt or swivel, just keeps tv about 1/2 inch from wall. Looks thin but is holding up my 150lb tv good so far!

Did you put extra stuff inside yours? My 52" XBR is only 95lbs. including the pedestal stand. (81lbs without).

·
Registered
8,212 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy bear /forum/post/19662521

Once Sony does that (I'm sure they are already doing that) , they won't be able to make "great" TVs anymore , just like PHILIPS.....at least in the LCD/PDP era.

Philips top of the line LCd's are 'great' and not for sale in the US.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Just got back from Best Buy, the LX909 even smokes the Panasonic plasmas....I didn't see a TV with a better picture than the Sony's,

I didn't even get to see the HX909 in action

·
Registered
549 Posts
hi all,

I can't get true 1:1 pixel mapping for a while.

the text is washed out that comes from my PC (HTPC)

I tried hdmi1 and hdmi4 - both looks the same.

I have set "full pixel" and everything to "off" except local LED dimming

the sharpness between 0 and 60 - no effect / improvement to get real 1:1 pixel mapping.

My PC output 1920x1080 at 60hz

Any one connects PC to this 52hx909?

What I'm missing?

tnx

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hello,

Just got my hx909 and wondering what the white "clouds" are. I notice them when I have the screen saver on and the main screen is black. Is this normal?

Thanks.

·
Registered
363 Posts
They are clouding, very common on LED sets. Nothing you can do about them except turn the backlight down so they aren't as noticeable. If they are really bad you could try exchanging for a new set but no gaurantee the next set won't be worse.

·
Registered
133 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarlyle /forum/post/19670602

Hello,

Just got my hx909 and wondering what the white "clouds" are. I notice them when I have the screen saver on and the main screen is black. Is this normal?

Thanks.

Set LED Dynamic Control to Standard, it should go away after that, its the full array local dimming...its automatically shut off in 3D mode though.

·
Registered
773 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikek753 /forum/post/19670222

hi all,

I can't get true 1:1 pixel mapping for a while.

the text is washed out that comes from my PC (HTPC)

I tried hdmi1 and hdmi4 - both looks the same.

I have set "full pixel" and everything to "off" except local LED dimming

the sharpness between 0 and 60 - no effect / improvement to get real 1:1 pixel mapping.

My PC output 1920x1080 at 60hz

Any one connects PC to this 52hx909?

What I'm missing?

tnx

Make sure you are in the Game/Graphics scene mode when using this set as a monitor or when playing games. These two scene modes display the full 4:4:4 chroma resolution, the others use 4:2:2 which will blur things slightly. (a non-issue for video, which is 4:2:0 natively)

This is most obvious with red on black. Taken from Gran Turismo 5 on PS3.

Most obvious with the logo here. Cinema:

Game:

Ignore the background difference here (it moves) just the text. Cinema:

Game:

I have a European 46HX903 so I can't say if it's the same as the US version or not, but sharpness should be at 50 (out of 100) as well.

·
Registered
549 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewfee /forum/post/19672010

Make sure you are in the Game/Graphics scene mode when using this set as a monitor or when playing games. These two scene modes display the full 4:4:4 chroma resolution, the others use 4:2:2 which will blur things slightly. (a non-issue for video, which is 4:2:0 natively)

This is most obvious with red on black. Taken from Gran Turismo 5 on PS3.

Most obvious with the logo here. Cinema:

Game:

Ignore the background difference here (it moves) just the text. Cinema:

Game:

I have a European 46HX903 so I can't say if it's the same as the US version or not, but sharpness should be at 50 (out of 100) as well.

thank you - it helped

however, I don't see any "motion" in those modes.

Do I need any "Clear 1" or etc when I watch sport or action movie from PC?

Or should I change scene mode to "sport" for that matter?

When I select other modes I get isn't sharp / correct image - kind of blurry

how to get into "demo" split mode to compare motion settings?

·
Registered
773 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikek753 /forum/post/19672374

thank you - it helped

however, I don't see any "motion" in those modes.

Do I need any "Clear 1" or etc when I watch sport or action movie from PC?

Or should I change scene mode to "sport" for that matter?

When I select other modes I get isn't sharp / correct image - kind of blurry

how to get into "demo" split mode to compare motion settings?

Motionflow is disabled in these modes - I think this is actually what allows them to operate in 4:4:4 rather than 4:2:2. (for what it's worth, most HDTVs do not even offer a 4:4:4 mode at all now)

What I do with my HTPC is set it up in the Game scene mode by default and then press the orange Theatre button on the remote for watching films which puts it into the Cinema scene mode temporarily.

I keep all my picture settings the same across both modes, the only difference being motionflow (I use Clear Plus) and backlight to compensate for the brightness difference.

To compensate for the various motionflow settings:
MotionflowBacklight
Clear Plus10
Clear2
Standard1
Smooth1
Off1

If you use a higher backlight setting on your screen, you probably just need backlight set one notch lower in Game compared to Cinema with Clear to compensate for the brightness difference.

1561 - 1580 of 2904 Posts