AVS Forum banner

1861 - 1880 of 2903 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
955 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by trcnet
IMO no doubt ... 52" ... learned this lesson the hard way!
I always tell people to get one size bigger than you think you want. Get the 52.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,257 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrike645 /forum/post/19998126


I always tell people to get one size bigger than you think you want. Get the 52.

Guibs from 9 feet away, get the 52". Do yourself a favor. Also would recommend getting the monolithic stand since your in Canada for just $100 before its too late. I have it and the TV just looks SICK sitting on it, such a beautiful TV.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,024 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper2847 /forum/post/19999729


Guibs from 9 feet away, get the 52". Do yourself a favor. Also would recommend getting the monolithic stand since your in Canada for just $100 before its too late. I have it and the TV just looks SICK sitting on it, such a beautiful TV.

I guess the only thing holding me back on the 52" is, do you notice input lag when playing games on it and also, notice any execive motion blur in game mode ?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
60 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guibs /forum/post/19999964


I guess the only thing holding me back on the 52" is, do you notice input lag when playing games on it and also, notice any execive motion blur in game mode ?

FWIW what input lag there is has not bothered me enough to use game mode for my replay of Mass Effect 1&2 and Fable III. There was some blur while spinning the camera in Fallout:NV that I corrected by enabling game mode. However, I then turned off enough motion processing in normal mode to enjoy Fallout without game mode because I am now spoiled on the absolutely insane black levels on this TV. Game mode is probably useful to twitch gamers but be warned that, as covered by others before in this thread, you'll sacrifice those deep black levels when you set it (though they will still be good).


To quote a coin commercial I laugh at, avoid disappointment and future regret. Buy the 52".
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,257 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guibs /forum/post/19999964


I guess the only thing holding me back on the 52" is, do you notice input lag when playing games on it and also, notice any execive motion blur in game mode ?

You seem to have been trying to decide on this TV for a VERY long time now. What has it been, a year??


I own the 52" and already stated more than once that the input lag feels very good on it EVEN when i have LD enabled in game mode.


Seeing that LD in game mode doesnt boost the contrast as much as other modes i guess it makes sense that it doesnt add much or any input lag. Although even this "reduced" LD still gives a HUGE improvement in contrast compared to just using the panel with LD disabled.


I would say from the feel of gaming on it, it seems to be around 30-40ms of input lag which is pretty good. Ive been playing the Killzone 3 open beta on my 52HX909 for a while now and it looks STUNNING on this set and is very responsive. The 3d for this game is also the best ive seen so far by a long shot. I really felt sucked into the map when trying it in 3d on this set, you have to see how good this is to believe it, trust me.


As for motion, so far it handles everything very well with great motion resolution. I use MF on clear1 and it seems to handle anything i throw at it without any motion handling issues. If I see any blur, usually its a crappy cable source causing it and not the TV.


Now that the price is so low here ($2699) at sonystyle.ca for the 52HX909 just go buy it and be happy. And get the monolithic stand for another $100, you wont regret it.


I payed over $4k for this set when it first came out, like a sucker. Consider yourself lucky and get this set while you still can!
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,257 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cragsleeper /forum/post/20000818


FWIW what input lag there is has not bothered me enough to use game mode for my replay of Mass Effect 1&2 and Fable III. There was some blur while spinning the camera in Fallout:NV that I corrected by enabling game mode. However, I then turned off enough motion processing in normal mode to enjoy Fallout without game mode because I am now spoiled on the absolutely insane black levels on this TV. Game mode is probably useful to twitch gamers but be warned that, as covered by others before in this thread, you'll sacrifice those deep black levels when you set it (though they will still be good).


To quote a coin commercial I laugh at, avoid disappointment and future regret. Buy the 52".

Did you compare black levels with enabling LD in game mode to general/cinema with LD enabled?


I see what you mean, game mode with LD doesnt dim the panel as much as non game mode but it doesn't seem to be that much worse for overall black levels/contrast.


Also, game mode will give you full 4:4:4 chroma resolution, something that the other modes with the improved contrast from LD will unfortunately not allow for.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,024 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper2847 /forum/post/0



You seem to have been trying to decide on this TV for a VERY long time now. What has it been, a year??


I own the 52" and already stated more than once that the input lag feels very good on it EVEN when i have LD enabled in game mode.


Seeing that LD in game mode doesnt boost the contrast as much as other modes i guess it makes sense that it doesnt add much or any input lag. Although even this "reduced" LD still gives a HUGE improvement in contrast compared to just using the panel with LD disabled.


I would say from the feel of gaming on it, it seems to be around 30-40ms of input lag which is pretty good. Ive been playing the Killzone 3 open beta on my 52HX909 for a while now and it looks STUNNING on this set and is very responsive. The 3d for this game is also the best ive seen so far by a long shot. I really felt sucked into the map when trying it in 3d on this set, you have to see how good this is to believe it, trust me.


As for motion, so far it handles everything very well with great motion resolution. I use MF on clear1 and it seems to handle anything i throw at it without any motion handling issues. If I see any blur, usually its a crappy cable source causing it and not the TV.


Now that the price is so low here ($2699) at sonystyle.ca for the 52HX909 just go buy it and be happy. And get the monolithic stand for another $100, you wont regret it.


I payed over $4k for this set when it first came out, like a sucker. Consider yourself lucky and get this set while you still can!

Yeah been looking since a while. Already return 4 tvs so I want to make sure in get the right one this time. I must say your are very convincing.


Would it be possible to post some pictures of your setup? I am curious to see the look with the monolith stand your are recommending. I was planing to just fix the tv on the stand of the desk I showed on the picture.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,257 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guibs /forum/post/20001245


Yeah been looking since a while. Already return 4 tvs so I want to make sure in get the right one this time. I must say your are very convincing.


Would it be possible to post some pictures of your setup? I am curious to see the look with the monolith stand your are recommending. I was planing to just fix the tv on the stand of the desk I showed on the picture.

When i get a chance ill post them, for now i dont have any. You really have nothing to lose, its only $100 here. If you dont like it just return it i guess...


It looks really nice as long as the table its sitting on is long enough to accommodate the full width of the stand. I think for $100 its a steal...


Have you considered maybe getting the 55NX810 instead of a 52HX909? Maybe for input lag it might be better since it doesnt have full local dimming which should mean less processing for its limited local dimming. Its also cheaper and slightly bigger/thinner.


Seeing that you are very sensitive to input lag i think you should try it out at the store to see if you find it more responsive than the HX9, unless full range local dimming is a must for you.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,024 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper2847 /forum/post/0



When i get a chance ill post them, for now i dont have any. You really have nothing to lose, its only $100 here. If you dont like it just return it i guess...


It looks really nice as long as the table its sitting on is long enough to accommodate the full width of the stand. I think for $100 its a steal...


Have you considered maybe getting the 55NX810 instead of a 52HX909? Maybe for input lag it might be better since it doesnt have full local dimming which should mean less processing for its limited local dimming. Its also cheaper and slightly bigger/thinner.


Seeing that you are very sensitive to input lag i think you should try it out at the store to see if you find it more responsive than the HX9, unless full range local dimming is a must for you.

Reason I am getting this tv is the local dimming. I returned 2 tv already because of bad clouding. I tried the 46" hx909 in store with my console and could not feel any input lag even with local dimming. But reading that possibly bigger tv may have a bit more lag is worrying me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
942 Posts
I got my new Sony HX909 yesterday and cannot apply the firmware via Sony's support site. I'm formatting a blank USB stick (PICO Super Talent) copying the *.bin file to the stick, plugging it into the TV, the TV recognizes USB but nothing happens.


I'm formatting the USB as FAT32 as the Sony site says.


Any recommendations here I really appreciate it.


Thanks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,024 Posts
Well I think I'm going to get the 52" as it seems everything think it's the size I should get. I'll try to drop by my best buy tonight, see if they can match Sonystyle's pricing. If they won't, I guess I'll order from Sony directly.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
942 Posts
I got my HX909 yesterday for $2288. I live in the US and picked it up from a wholesaler.


BTW, I did my firmware to update. Had to force it using Internet update then turn the TV off.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
549 Posts
hi,


do you use ambient sensor?

did you turn it on or off?

No, I don't have perfect and controlled lighting for my tv.

We watch TV 90% at evening time, ambient light is about 16-20 Lux on TV.


Will that ambient sensor help me and how?

I know that for calibration it has to be off.


what do you say?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,257 Posts
Those pics look awesome. The only thing im jealous of is the thinner bezel around the screen. It sucks that the 909 was made so wide on the bezel...oh well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
60 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper2847 /forum/post/20014220


Those pics look awesome. The only thing im jealous of is the thinner bezel around the screen. It sucks that the 909 was made so wide on the bezel...oh well.

Good observation, I agree that improves the overall look some though I don't mind so much since the bezel fades into darkness when I view at night, which is the only time I really have to watch. To answer your previous question I did enable LD in Game Mode and it helped, but the biggest drawback that I should have mentioned originally is that in game mode the clouding becomes visible even with LD on. Really that's the thing that bothered me, though unless I'm playing a game like Dead Space 2 it mostly isn't visible except during scene transitions. Still, bothers me enough that I try to avoid game mode in spite of the 4:4:4 chroma resolution.
 
1861 - 1880 of 2903 Posts
Top