AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 12151 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I started this before without having the set, but I now have a 70XBR2.

Initial impressions, brighter than XBR1 sets (I own a 50XBR1) very clean picture, low noise. The most adjustments on a TV I have ever seen.

Here are the pics :

Set with speakers and extra bulb

Set without speakers and end caps

·
Premium Member
2,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Set with without speakers with endcaps.

Here is something you might have not seen, the fact that there is clear plastic that has the power, lamp and timer lights.......ala.......Sony XBR plasmas.

·
Premium Member
2,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here is my final setup......before wire cleanup.....of course !

·
Premium Member
2,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am using the Omnimount CCH1 and what ever hardware comes with it.

As I am dialing my settings in......and believe me ther are tons, I see there is a 3 D effect with this set that doesn't exist with any other, except the Qualia 006. I have not seen the Mitsu 831 sets but, I have the 73732 and imho it can't compete in the dimensionality.

·
Registered
325 Posts
WooHoo!

Congratulations and best wishes for a glob, blob and haze-free experience. Looks great without those side speakers, too.

Your willingness to keep us posted as you become more familiar with the set is very much appreciated.

·
Registered
50 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixdoctor /forum/post/0

I am using the Omnimount CCH1 and what ever hardware comes with it.

As I am dialing my settings in......and believe me ther are tons, I see there is a 3 D effect with this set that doesn't exist with any other, except the Qualia 006. I have not seen the Mitsu 831 sets but, I have the 73732 and imho it can't compete in the dimensionality.

That is exactly what I need..Thanx!

·
Registered
187 Posts
I am mostly interested in seeing how this set compares to the A2000's. Right now I am contemplating getting a 60" A2000 or XBR2.

·
Premium Member
2,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Let me list the settings that are on the XBR2:

Picture Mode

Advanced Iris

Picture

Brightness

Color

Hue

Color Temp

Sharpness

Noise Reduction

DRC Mode

DRC Palette

Advanced Settings:

Reset(all settings)

Black Corrector

Gamma

Clear White

Live Color

White Balance

Detail Enhancer

Edge Enhancer

Whew.... quite a lot to go through !

·
Registered
516 Posts
Mix,

First, congratulations, and thanks for posting all this! Hopefully I'll have mine in this week.

If you get a chance, could you please measure from the set's base to the bottom of the screen? I need to figure how how tall a stand/platform I need under the set to line up with my cabinet. Thanks again!

eric

·
Registered
73 Posts

Quote:

Set with without speakers with endcaps.

Here is something you might have not seen, the fact that there is clear plastic that has the power, lamp and timer lights.......ala.......Sony XBR plasmas.

what are those 4 input looking things to the left of the floating lights?

·
Premium Member
2,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTV5.1 /forum/post/0

what are those 4 input looking things to the left of the floating lights?

Control buttons.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvac /forum/post/0

how does the SSE (Silk screen effect) compare to the XBR1?

That's my question as well.

The other thing I'd like to know about is how the black level compares to the XBR1 and A2000.

·
Registered
325 Posts

Quote:

Let me list the settings that are on the XBR2:

Picture Mode

Advanced Iris

Picture

Brightness

Color

Hue

Color Temp

Sharpness

Noise Reduction

DRC Mode

DRC Palette

Advanced Settings:

Reset(all settings)

Black Corrector

Gamma

Clear White

Live Color

White Balance

Detail Enhancer

Edge Enhancer

Whew.... quite a lot to go through !

Mixdoctor (or any other new XBR2 owner who can take some of the pressure off MD):

A near-universal complaint with big screen microdisplay technology has been the relatively inferior quality of SD signals.

Your new 70XBR2 now has a dedicated mode for enhancing SD: "DRC Mode 2." Would you please experiment with this and give us your opinion? The function is described on or about P:50 in your manual.

Additionally, your new 70XBR2 now allows "DRC Palette" functionality for 480p and 720p signal sources, another thing the XBR1's couldn't do. Again, on or about P:50 in the manual. Would appreciate your checking this out too when possible.

Actually, any commentary you can provide relating to the new DRC2.5 processing would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Registered
599 Posts
Mixdoctor,

Great Inputs on your new XBR2.

Could you look again at the base and see if it is not actually floating a bit above your table's glass surface. To do this slide a piece of 8x10 paper under the front and sweep it across the entire front. When I did this to the a2000 and my XBR1 I found the base is actually sitting on recessed and hidden feet.

Thanks

KT

·
Registered
599 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuTal63 /forum/post/0

Mixdoctor (or any other new XBR2 owner who can take some of the pressure off MD):

A near-universal complaint with big screen microdisplay technology has been the relatively inferior quality of SD signals.

Your new 70XBR2 now has a dedicated mode for enhancing SD: "DRC Mode 2." Would you please experiment with this and give us your opinion? The function is described on or about P:50 in your manual.

Additionally, your new 70XBR2 now allows "DRC Palette" functionality for 480p and 720p signal sources, another thing the XBR1's couldn't do. Again, on or about P:50 in the manual. Would appreciate your checking this out too when possible.

Actually, any commentary you can provide relating to the new DRC2.5 processing would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

I too feel the new v2.5 DRC should be of significant help with Standard Definition TV and 480i DVD sources.

So. .Mixdoctor.. Mr Foo ..and any other new owners. Here is my take on how the new DRC is intended to work.

I hope this additional explanation of the new DRC may be of some help.

DRC: The XBR2 is different from the earlier XBR1 and a2000. There are 2 modes available with their own Matrix adjustments. The trick here is to use these controls the way Sony intended when they designed V2.5 DRC. Based on limited tests on a new XBR2 LCD set quipped with the V2.5 chip I suggest the following:

For HD shows from Component or HDMI inputs (including for the first time 720P as well as 1080i) use Mode 1. Do not use Mode 2--it has filters that will degrade the high frequency response to something more suitable for DVDs (about 5-6 mHz).

DRC Palette: For high Quality HD shows like Conan O'brion or SNL or for HD DVD disks I suggest using about 50/1, or 75/1 (50 Reality and 1 Clarity). If the show is noisy or poorer in quality to those mentioned try setting the DRC palette to 1/1 (off)

For DVD 480i sources scaled within the player to 1080i and fed into the set via the HDMI connection use Mode 2. Note that this mode is only available when the input format is 1080i. This new -specially designed mode should reduce the presence of spurious noise and the sharpness behavior of the DRC matrix should be more suited to DVDs. DRC Palette: You will have to experiment with this- and it will be program or DVD movie dependent

For Standard Definition shows scaled from 480i to 1080i and fed to the set via HDMI at 1080i (or for SD programs with the internal tuner) -set the DRC to mode 2. DRC palette; Again, experiment with each source.

If you must use a DVD player with only component 480i or 480p output -use Mode 1. Mode 2 is apparently not available.

Hope this helps a little. As with others, I am looking foreword to your tryout comments on the new DRC with DVDs and SD sources.

KT

·
Registered
196 Posts
DaYam, MD... I love that TV.

Are you worried about the mount causing preasure on the rear cabinet and causing warping? Just curious. And this post will allow me to subscribe to the thread......

1 - 20 of 12151 Posts