AVS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 12151 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Thanks Mixdoctor. Your stand is not the designated Sony unit I see. Can you tell us the location of the TV inputs i.e. distance from the left or right edge of the cabinet and distance from the bottom of the TV. Some of us need to calculate what cable lengths are needed. My 70 XBR2 arrives next week. Appreciate your help and pics.

·
Registered
196 Posts
BTW: Where in the hell are you MR. Foo...... I wanna see that TV... Did ya get it? Alabama is losing to FL right now so you getting this TV and me seein' more pics is all I got to look forward to this afternoon.....

·
Premium Member
2,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
OK DRC lots of adjustmests besided the two modes.

DRC mode 1 is the smoother of the two

DRC mode 2 seems to add edge enhancement qualities, not feeling it yet.

I am using Mode 1 for both SD and HD.

HD was easier to dial in. SD is prooving a bit more difficult. Right now I am using my Pioneer VSX-82 as the video switcher. Later tonight I will take it out of the loop and hook up each component into a different input. I have my cable box (SA8300HD) and Toshiba HD DVD. That way I can put each into a different input and have different settings for each.

·
Premium Member
2,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTTV Images /forum/post/0

Mixdoctor,

Great Inputs on your new XBR2.

Could you look again at the base and see if it is not actually floating a bit above your table's glass surface. To do this slide a piece of 8x10 paper under the front and sweep it across the entire front. When I did this to the a2000 and my XBR1 I found the base is actually sitting on recessed and hidden feet.

Thanks

KT

The TV base is dead flush with the stand.........I looked under the glass.

·
Registered
3,701 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximum360 /forum/post/0

That's my question as well. (SILK-SCREEN EFFECT )

The other thing I'd like to know about is how the black level compares to the XBR1 and A2000.

Yes, these are the two biggest concerns out there for most potential-purchasers.

Comments, please.

·
Registered
599 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixdoctor /forum/post/0

OK DRC lots of adjustmests besided the two modes.

DRC mode 1 is the smoother of the two

DRC mode 2 seems to add edge enhancement qualities, not feeling it yet.

I am using Mode 1 for both SD and HD.

HD was easier to dial in. SD is prooving a bit more difficult. Right now I am using my Pioneer VSX-82 as the video switcher. Later tonight I will take it out of the loop and hook up each component into a different input. I have my cable box (SA8300HD) and Toshiba HD DVD. That way I can put each into a different input and have different settings for each.

Suggestion:

Use Toshiba HD DVD player for playing standard DVDs.

Connect player to XBR2 with HDMI.

Set the player to output 1080i.

Select the Toshiba input -the set will display briefly 1080i. Select DRC mode 2 and then go to the DRC Palette and try adjusting the the ball to 50/1. This mode may add some edge enhancement because it is designed for SD signals. Don't overdo it (bring it down closer to 1/1). You can further change the edge enhancement with the Sharpness control. Hopefully you will see high quality DVC playback if your disk is good to begin with.

KT

·
Premium Member
2,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Thanks KTTV.

As far as SSE goes. Very little SSE, for rear projection, but I have to admit not being that SSE sensitive. SDE on the other hand.........

I'll do more tweaking and give more evaluations later.

One more thing for people who are on the fence as to whether this set is for them or not..........This is an SXRD set if you couldn't stand this type of set before the XBR2 will probably not change your mind. If you just wanted a little more refinement and flexability then this might be what you've been waiting for. Since I already own an SXRD 1, this set is exactly what I was looking for. Only two things I have to work on .....1)the black levels. I am trying to dial in a low black level while keeping a high contrast ratio and decent bright levels for daytime viewing and no, the wife isn't going to want to switch video modes according to daytime or nighttime.
2)When off axis (The off axis viewing is great by the way) I see a little misconvergence. I'll use Avia and get it set up and see if this continues.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Mixdoctor, if I understand you correctly, sounds like so far the XBR2 is really not much of a step up in overall picture quality from the XBR1? Any impression in how it compares in picture (sd and hd) to an A2000 (60")?

·
Registered
319 Posts
Mixdoctor--

What set(s) have you had previously, other than the XBR1? It'd be nice to hear comparisons to other display technologies like RP CRT.

I'm moving from a Pioneer Elite 510HD, so I might be a bit spoiled when it comes to PQ and convergence. I hope the XBR2 comes close. (At least its deinterlacer won't have the annoying bug in the red channel.)

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hi MD, when you get a chance can you please comment on the how long it takes to power on? Notice Any color changes during startup? Also, in SD 4:3, do the vertical black bars look straight? How does a DVD/SD look in 4:3 overall (if you one available). Thanks!

·
Registered
311 Posts
MD, many of us are curious as to how the 2.5 chip performs with sports motion with weaker HD feeds. I find that the A10 handles this in a much smoother manner than the A2000. I am watching the Ohio St. / Iowa game now on the A2000 and it is perfect, so it may take a few days of football to really notice if it is real smooth or not. Thanks.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I am totally jealous! Guys....if I am sitting 14 feet away, at the longest distance from my sectional sofa, and 12 feet at the closest distance......is the 70" too large? Will it not look as clear from this distance as the 60"? Help....I want the 70" now!!

·
Registered
48 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhlitt /forum/post/0

I am totally jealous! Guys....if I am sitting 14 feet away, at the longest distance from my sectional sofa, and 12 feet at the closest distance......is the 70" too large? Will it not look as clear from this distance as the 60"? Help....I want the 70" now!!

Recommeded minimum distance for the 70" is 8 feet (pg. 15 of the owner's guide). So, you're good to go...

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
MD...You mention the XBR2 is brighter than the XBR1. Brighter good or bad in terms of dialing the black levels? Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
What set haven't I had ?
Besides the 50XBRI, I also now have a Mitsubishi 73827. I have had a Sammy HLP5686 Kirk, Toshiba 62hm195 and a Pioneer 53" CRT, forgot the model #. So HD is not new to me. I am always amused when a newbee to HD sets, buys a set and says it's the best ever invented, then everyone goes out and buys it based on that review and everyone is underwhelmed.

I am saying that the SXRD is evolutionary not revolutionary in terms of SXRD sets. I think it is great. So far I would buy another one. Do I think it is the best set out now ? Yes I do, amoung all the sets I have seen.

·
Registered
51 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAGATAYA /forum/post/0

Recommeded minimum distance for the 70" is 8 feet (pg. 15 of the owner's guide). So, you're good to go...

thanks for the info...now to convince the wife to let me spend the difference!

·
Premium Member
2,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAGATAYA /forum/post/0

Hi MD, when you get a chance can you please comment on the how long it takes to power on? Notice Any color changes during startup? Also, in SD 4:3, do the vertical black bars look straight? How does a DVD/SD look in 4:3 overall (if you one available). Thanks!

The only time I have started up today it took a long time over a minute, but that may be because I just turned it off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie C /forum/post/0

MD, many of us are curious as to how the 2.5 chip performs with sports motion with weaker HD feeds. I find that the A10 handles this in a much smoother manner than the A2000. I am watching the Ohio St. / Iowa game now on the A2000 and it is perfect, so it may take a few days of football to really notice if it is real smooth or not. Thanks.

I just saw a little college football today...so far so good. Tomorrow will be the true test !

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiomixer /forum/post/0

MD...You mention the XBR2 is brighter than the XBR1. Brighter good or bad in terms of dialing the black levels? Thanks!

Brighter in a good way. I am still trying to dial in the right bright levels though, where it can get close to true black yet see detail in dark scenes. Like right now I am trying to watch Law and Order, that is a HDTV buster if there was ever one.

·
Registered
599 Posts

Quote:

Thanks KTTV.

Only two things I have to work on .....1)the black levels. I am trying to dial in a low black level while keeping a high contrast ratio and decent bright levels for daytime viewing and no, the wife isn't going to want to switch video modes according to daytime or nighttime.
2)When off axis (The off axis viewing is great by the way) I see a little misconvergence. I'll use Avia and get it set up and see if this continues.

Annother suggestion;

You do not want to -or need to - change modes for day or night viewing. Simply lower the Iris control at night and raise it in the daytime. If the set is always too bright lower the lamp power and leave it low.

KT

·
Registered
2,367 Posts

Quote:

Brighter in a good way. I am still trying to dial in the right bright levels though, where it can get close to true black yet see detail in dark scenes. Like right now I am trying to watch Law and Order, that is a HDTV buster if there was ever one.

How much better is the picture from the XBR1...in your opinion. 5%, 10%...more?

21 - 40 of 12151 Posts