AVS Forum banner
941 - 960 of 5496 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzymyman /forum/post/12195577

I guess I am lost here, I have DirecTv and a HD/DVR, I have a new Xbr4 1080p and I subscribed to DirecTV HD. I am confused......why wouldn't I have the "Full pixel" option. Am I confused about what "Source" means?

Just hit the "Display" button on the XBR4 remote and look on the upper right. It will tell you what mode you are in, 480i, 720p, 1080i, 1080p. If it is in 1080i/p then Full Pixel will be available in the menu, if it is lower, than it is not an option. Depending on the dish, you might see white artifact, overscan lines on some channels when using Full Pixel. It is normal, just a part of the broadcast for that channel.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrstevens421 /forum/post/12195134

Calibrators have just arrived

Will be looking forward to your results and settings.

·
Registered
712 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzymyman /forum/post/12195577

I guess I am lost here, I have DirecTv and a HD/DVR, I have a new Xbr4 1080p and I subscribed to DirecTV HD. I am confused......why wouldn't I have the "Full pixel" option. Am I confused about what "Source" means?

"Source" as mentioned in these threads correlates to an input on your xbr. For instance, HDMI1 is a source, HDMI2 is a source, Component1-3 are sources and so on.

So, in your case, your DTV DVR is a source, however you have it connected (HDMI/Component, etc.). Full Pixel only appears as an option in the Display Mode menu if your input source is 1080i or 1080p. Some HD satellite and cable channels may not broadcast in true HD all of the time. If not, you may see overscan "noise" at the top or sides or your TV.

You may want to leave the Display_Mode setting to "Normal" or +1, unless watching 1080p sources such as Blue-Ray, HD DVD, etc., THEN set it to Full Pixel.

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
Now that it's done I must admit that I do like it. Because of prior experiences I wasn't too enthusiastic about calibration but this worked out for the better. Working in the industry I've seen a lot of displays, this is one of the good ones

10 1/2 Feet from Display

Power Save Mode: Off

HDMI Sources

Mode: Cinema

Backlight: 3

Picture: 88

Brightness: 49

Color: 62

Hue: 0

Sharpness: 50

Color Temp: Warm 2

Noise Reduction: Off - 1080p / Low - Cable

Mpeg Noise Reduction: Off

DRC: Off

Black Corrector: Off

ACE: Off

Gamma: Off

Clear White: Off

Color Space: Standard

Live Color: Off

White Balance:

Red Gain: -1

Green Gain: -4

Blue Gain: 0

Red Bias: 0

Green Bias: -3

Blue Bias: 0

Detail Enhancer: Off / Low (Personal Preference)

Edge Enhancer: Off

Motion Enhancer: Off with 1080p24. Standard for 1080p60 (Personal preference) - Mines is off

Cinemotion: Auto1

Video Color Space (x.v.color): Off

Color Matrix: Auto

Game/Text: Off

Light Sensor: Off

Display Area: Full Pixel

Component Video Sources

Mode: Cinema

Backlight: 3

Picture: 85

Brightness: 37

Color: 52

Hue: 0

Sharpness: 50

Color Temp: Warm 2

Noise Reduction: Off - 1080p / Low - Cable

Mpeg Noise Reduction: Off

DRC: Off

Black Corrector: Off

ACE: Off

Gamma: Off

Clear White: Off

Color Space: Standard

Live Color: Off

White Balance:

Red Gain: -1

Green Gain: -4

Blue Gain: 0

Red Bias: 0

Green Bias: -2

Blue Bias: 0

Detail Enhancer: Off / Low (Personal Preference)

Edge Enhancer: Off

Motion Enhancer: Off / Standard (Personal preference) - Mines is off

Cinemotion: Auto1

Video Color Space (x.v.color): Off

Color Matrix: Auto

Game/Text: Off

Light Sensor: Off

Display Area: Full

Tell me what you think.

Took them 2 hours

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
nice, thanks.. I hope you are enjoying it. Gonna try and test it out tonight when I get a chance.

Interesting how your tweaks were done in the Cinema setting while MrLogs were done in the Custom setting.

·
Registered
3,644 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by slumpey326 /forum/post/12196692

Interesting how your tweaks were done in the Cinema setting while MrLogs were done in the Custom setting.

I wish I knew. All I know is the picture is pretty darn good

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
I am glad you are happy, I heard great reviews about Kevin Miller and his work. He does alot of the cnet.com reviews.

so what he tell you to put Motion Enhancer and Cinemotion to:

Motion Enhancer: Off?

Cinemotion: Auto1?

·
Registered
3,644 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by slumpey326 /forum/post/12196790

I am glad you are happy, I heard great reviews about Kevin Miller and his work. He does alot of the cnet.com reviews.

Kevin didn't do my display this time around, someone who was trained by him did. I can't mention any names because my calibration was done free of charge. They normally charge $400.00 and I don't want to ruffle any feathers.

·
Registered
3,644 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by slumpey326 /forum/post/12196790

so what he tell you to put Motion Enhancer and Cinemotion to:

Motion Enhancer: Off?

Cinemotion: Auto1?

Off for 1080p24 / Standard for everything else. I was told there is no right or wrong setting for this, it's all according to personal tastes. I like them "off" as did the calibrator. I like film to look like film and not like video. Just my tastes.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just wanted to thank everyone for their input on this thread. Finally bit the bullet and bought an XBR 46". Going to start installing it the way I want it this week and use one of the calibration settings posted in the recent past (lrstevens, mrlog, vumcrab, etc...thanks all).

Have a question about cables. I bought some HDMI 24 AWG 10 foot cables for starters. I haven't hooked anything up yet. My question is... what are the pros/cons of hooking this tv up using HDMI cables vs. component cables? I'll be hooking up to a Direct TV HD20 receiver and possibly a bluray or hd-dvd player or a PS3. I know components work better for longer distances, but what is better and why? Also, the reputable online site told me not to order HDMI 1.3 because it's not supported by the Direct TV receiver and would do me no good...so I just ordered the regular HDMI cables. Am I headed the right direction to utilize this TV to full potential, or do I need to reinvest in some different cables? Thanks

·
Registered
3,644 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldPete /forum/post/12197193

Hue is really 50?!!? (If so, Red or Green?)

Did they change any settings in the service menu?

Pete

50 is in the middle of both Red and Green, yes some things were done in the service menu. The whole thing took about 2 hours.

·
Registered
25 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jddealer /forum/post/12196928

Just wanted to thank everyone for their input on this thread. Finally bit the bullet and bought an XBR 46". Going to start installing it the way I want it this week and use one of the calibration settings posted in the recent past (lrstevens, mrlog, vumcrab, etc...thanks all).

Have a question about cables. I bought some HDMI 24 AWG 10 foot cables for starters. I haven't hooked anything up yet. My question is... what are the pros/cons of hooking this tv up using HDMI cables vs. component cables? I'll be hooking up to a Direct TV HD20 receiver and possibly a bluray or hd-dvd player or a PS3. I know components work better for longer distances, but what is better and why? Also, the reputable online site told me not to order HDMI 1.3 because it's not supported by the Direct TV receiver and would do me no good...so I just ordered the regular HDMI cables. Am I headed the right direction to utilize this TV to full potential, or do I need to reinvest in some different cables? Thanks

I have just purchased the Xbr4 46' and have had the same questions. I had the hdmi cable included w/the install by DirecTV and was hearing a noise when changing the channels. I bought Phillips HDMI cable from WalMart which are suppose to be high speed 1.3A hdmi and I have not noticed a thing. I dont know if this helped you but I am in the same boat. The cable from WalMart was 26 bucks

·
Registered
181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrstevens421 /forum/post/12197237

50 is in the middle of both Red and Green, yes some things were done in the service menu. The whole thing took about 2 hours.

Wow, quick response, thanks!

The default hue setting for each picture mode is 0. When I adjust mine, 0 is in the center and then progresses from 0 to G1... to G50 on the green side, and from 0 to R1... to R50 on the red. Am I missing something here?

Someone else mentioned that their professional cal also went into the service menu. What that suggests is that the picture settings that are reported after professional cal are made in conjunction with service menu settings; if someone copies your reported picture settings they will not be seeing the same thing you are.

For example, in Tom Huffman's CMS cal guide in the cal thread he says that the color decoder adjustments are interactive with the saturation/hue adjustments. The question is whether your cal person adjusted the color decoder in the service menu (which I haven't been into yet) or whether they just used the white balance.

Thanks for reporting your experience. Hearing your favorable reaction to your calibration is useful. People should still be aware that applying these settings may not give them optimum calibration.

Pete

·
Registered
26 Posts
I'm curiuos what your calibration did with powersave. I notice many here have it off and yet I have found with it high and backlight higher the blacks seem more detailed and less crush. And thanks for sharing your experience.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Hey folks,

I have taken the liberty of compiling several commonly mentioned settings into a Google spreadsheet for comparison .

Currently have settings as reported by the following AVS Forum users who have weighed in on this thread: lrstevens421, mrlogs, vumcrab, bplewis24, and gordong11. This represents a range of XBR4/5 models; the 40, 46 and 52 inchers are all represented here. In addition, I have added the C|Net and HT Mag settings, the Sony defaults, and some personal commentary as I tried to perceive consensus and patterns.

Please let me know if I've missed any commonly used settings (I don't think so, though it's a judgment call), and if you have suggestions on the format or data. I'm going to sit down with this matrix tonight and play with the set for a few hours, for sure. :)

Thanks,

Jason

52XBR4

·
Registered
1,390 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jddealer /forum/post/12196928

HDMI is a digital signal (1's and 0's), it remains digital from source device, through the cable, and into the display, and ultimately represents the variations in voltage which twist or untwist the liquid crytals, producing the image you see onscreen.

Component on the other hand, particularly in disc format (hd, bd, dvd) also starts out when being read from the disc as digital, which must then be trancoded from digital to component analog, once into the display must then be re-encoded to digital to drive the panel.

So depending on the quality of the D to A, and A to D converters, there may be a degradation or change in the signal resulting in anywhere from cross color (lesser quality D to A's), to severe artifacting of the image (due to truncation of bits).

Generally if any analog signal is to travel 50+ feet, it would need to be equalized, due to loss of signal over the length of the cable from source to destination. May not be a problem for the luminance (Y) channel, but the color difference channels (R-Y/B-Y) would most certainly be affected due to them being higher in frequency.

Hope this helps somewhat.

Schlick

·
Registered
3,644 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrnewquist /forum/post/12197946

Hey folks,

I have taken the liberty of compiling several commonly mentioned settings into a Google spreadsheet for comparison .

Currently have settings as reported by the following AVS Forum users who have weighed in on this thread: lrstevens421, mrlogs, vumcrab, bplewis24, and gordong11. This represents a range of XBR4/5 models; the 40, 46 and 52 inchers are all represented here. In addition, I have added the C|Net and HT Mag settings, the Sony defaults, and some personal commentary as I tried to perceive consensus and patterns.

Please let me know if I've missed any commonly used settings (I don't think so, though it's a judgment call), and if you have suggestions on the format or data. I'm going to sit down with this matrix tonight and play with the set for a few hours, for sure. :)

Thanks,

Jason

52XBR4

Looks good, I have my power saving to "off" by the way.

941 - 960 of 5496 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.