AVS Forum banner

421 - 440 of 703 Posts

·
Registered
SONY XBR75Z8H, SONY HT-Z9F w/ SONY Z9R REAR SPEAKERS, PANASONIC UB9000 4K BLU RAY PLAYER, SONY PS5
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #421
I think room size is the larger question. I think you need to be at least 10+ feet for it to work well.
Yea I sit 9 feet from my TV. The Living room is open concept connected to the kitchen so you can watch the TV all the way from the other side of the house. Low ceilings though at 8ft.

·
Registered
SONY XBR75Z8H, SONY HT-Z9F w/ SONY Z9R REAR SPEAKERS, PANASONIC UB9000 4K BLU RAY PLAYER, SONY PS5
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #422
The 85" is sold out at Best Buy. Is this TV ever going on sale at this rate? My hope for a Black Friday sale isn't very high.
Yea Best Buy unfortunately has been having a hard time keeping them in stock. I have to return the 75” to Best Buy. I purchased the 85” from Crutchfield. Would’ve been easier sticking with Best Buy and exchanging. Plus I’m losing all my rewards points lol.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Yea I sit 9 feet from my TV. The Living room is open concept connected to the kitchen so you can watch the TV all the way from the other side of the house. Low ceilings though at 8ft.
Close enough, haha. You'll definitely be able to tell when your source material is bad. That said, quality production is going to look so immersive.

Yea Best Buy unfortunately has been having a hard time keeping them in stock. I have to return the 75” to Best Buy. I purchased the 85” from Crutchfield. Would’ve been easier sticking with Best Buy and exchanging. Plus I’m losing all my rewards points lol.
Yeah, they've been hit or miss. When I had my Q900T and wanted to trade it in, they just got a line on the Z8H with projected delivery date of one month - luckily I have Elite plus so I had 45 days to return the Q900T til it came in. Kept the Samsung right to the last second and the BB guys came and swapped it out. Shortly after I had bought it, the Z8H sold out for a few weeks before coming back and then selling out again.

Congrats on getting the 85". I can't see you regretting it. I've had it for several weeks now and it gets better and better, since I'm able to slowly fine tune the image to my taste. I'm incredibly fickle and prone to fear of missing out. I haven't given this a second thought, unlike the Q900T which had filled me with regret.

The 85" is also such an impressive looking thing. Just a big beautiful monolith hanging on the wall.

·
Vendor
27,905 Posts
Ok cool. I’ll pop in Terrifier blu ray tomorrow evening after I get the Z8H all set up. Yes, I exchanged the A9G back for the Z8H lol. I have issues. Now contemplating if it worth exchanging out the 75” arriving tomorrow for the 85”. Huge price difference.
Let me put it this way, if you do not get the bigger set, soon enough you will regret that choice and sooner or later your return period is over. You will continue to ponder, soon enough you will buy another TV because you did not pick properly the first time, so one expensive TV now or 2 even more expensive TV's later.......

·
Registered
30 Posts
Decided to pull the trigger on the 85" Z8H upon an amazing deal I got from best buy and scored the last one in Western Canada. Had some questions for owners here:
-What receiver are you leaning towards? I currently have a 5 year old Denon X6200W, is this needed in the near term if I plan to get a ps5 for earc and the other features e.g. 8k/4k 120hz
-What are some great 4k UHD movies as demo movies to showcase the TV? I am currently watching all the avengers movies so will save Infinity War for this TV, plan on watching 1917 again as well

Thanks!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Decided to pull the trigger on the 85" Z8H upon an amazing deal I got from best buy and scored the last one in Western Canada. Had some questions for owners here:
-What receiver are you leaning towards? I currently have a 5 year old Denon X6200W, is this needed in the near term if I plan to get a ps5 for earc and the other features e.g. 8k/4k 120hz
-What are some great 4k UHD movies as demo movies to showcase the TV? I am currently watching all the avengers movies so will save Infinity War for this TV, plan on watching 1917 again as well

Thanks!
I bought the Denon x2700h to go along with the Z8H. Has been working nicely so far. All well mastered UHD discs look fantastic on this panel. So do regular blu rays.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I have the Denon x3700h with my Z8H, mine also working well. Crazy good picture from 4k Blu-ray disc. I would like to find a movie with IMAX anyone know of one?

JD

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have the Denon x3700h with my Z8H, mine also working well. Crazy good picture from 4k Blu-ray disc. I would like to find a movie with IMAX anyone know of one?

JD
Here are some:

IMAX Enhanced UHD Blu-ray Movies
  • Angry Birds Movie 2, The (DTS:X)
  • Bad Boys for Life (DTS:X)
  • Beautiful Day In The Neighborhood, A.
  • Charlie's Angels (2019) (DTS:X)
  • Jumanji: The Next Level (DTS:X)
  • Space Station (DTS:X)
  • Turtle Odyssey (DTS:X)
  • Zombieland: Double Tap (DTS:X)

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #430
Let me put it this way, if you do not get the bigger set, soon enough you will regret that choice and sooner or later your return period is over. You will continue to ponder, soon enough you will buy another TV because you did not pick properly the first time, so one expensive TV now or 2 even more expensive TV's later.......
EXACTLY!!

·
Registered
56 Posts
I bought the Denon x2700h to go along with the Z8H. Has been working nicely so far. All well mastered UHD discs look fantastic on this panel. So do regular blu rays.
With no real 8K sources out there I might wait another generation before upgrading my receiver-- Most of the newer ones have a single 8K capable HDMI 2.1 connection. The next generation should have many more connections for the (hopefully) many more future sources. My only disappointment in this TV is the inability to properly read 8K sources on it's internal apps (not that any actual 8K content really exists)--

·
Registered
56 Posts
$6K for a TV is my absolute limit I'm afraid (actually just beyond it)-- I'm hoping the Z8H comes down to at least $5,500 by Thanksgiving-- Samsung's 8Ks are dropping fairly steadily-- partially, I imagine, because of their less than stellar reviews and their decision to make 8K more of a mainstream product--

·
Registered
56 Posts
Good 1080P sources look very good on the Z8H. You will see any imperfections in the source material more readily especially damage or any inherent image softness but it does a great job upscaling.
Mediocre 1080p or the watered down Cable or DirecTV stuff looks bad (well not great) on a 4K set, so I wouldn't expect it to be so different on an 8K-- no matter how great the upscaling-- That said, my AppleTV box does an excellent job of upscaling 1080p sources by itself--

·
Registered
27 Posts
Mediocre 1080p or the watered down Cable or DirecTV stuff looks bad (well not great) on a 4K set, so I wouldn't expect it to be so different on an 8K-- no matter how great the upscaling-- That said, my AppleTV box does an excellent job of upscaling 1080p sources by itself--
Mediocre sources do look mediocre on this tv or any tv 4k or above. Any issues with the sources are on full display. Grain or any artifacts are very visible. I don’t have a cable box hooked up so I can’t comment on regular tv content but I am happy with how my blu rays from Criterion,Arrow and other boutique labels have looked.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #435
$6K for a TV is my absolute limit I'm afraid (actually just beyond it)-- I'm hoping the Z8H comes down to at least $5,500 by Thanksgiving-- Samsung's 8Ks are dropping fairly steadily-- partially, I imagine, because of their less than stellar reviews and their decision to make 8K more of a mainstream product--
Yea the way things are looking, it’s seems that Sony has the only quality 8K set on the market. Nobody really knows much about the LG OLED 8K because it’s so expensive. But between the LCD 8K sets, Sony is the clear leader which is why price has remained steady. One thing I’m worried about with OLED and 8K is, will it get bright enough.

·
Registered
56 Posts
For those with unlimited financial resources the 8K OLED certainly may be an option-- so far no reviews on this $20K- $30K(?) television--
Even the idyll wealthy may think twice about spending this much on a TV, when prices will drop to 1/2 that in a couple of years, if not sooner.
Maybe a Z8H as an interim choice--:rolleyes:

·
Registered
34 Posts
I had earlier asked about energy consumption on these TVs..fun fact...75“ 575 watts , 85” a whopping 796 watts.. of course that’s peak usage.. I demo‘d the 75” at Best Buy given limited conditions there.. of course they had everything set to vivid and running an 8k loop video.. so tough to gauge but still impressive.. Android OS seem very snappy ... compared to my 900F . Pulled the trigger on 85” @ Crutchfield.. got the last one they had. Best Buy didn’t have any , no ETA on future availability on the 85.. Seems 85 is in demand or not a whole lot of them made? given the cost of the Tv , I’m contemplating extended warranty, but for now, my credit card doubles Sony factory warranty.. I have 60:days to decide if I should decide to buy square trade through Crutchfield.
The 900F is a good set , but two things that really disappointed. Blooming and dim Dolby vision on darker scenes .. I’m mostly in darker environment and bias lighting not much help ..Im afraid I really couldn’t gauge these two things very well when I demo’d the 75 @ Best Buy.. from what I read here and elsewhere..should be fine ( fingers crossed) .. thank you all for your input on this forum .. an immense help in making a decision to buy .. excited to get it.. not too excited about hanging this 150 lb beast!

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #439

Got her all set up. She barely fits on my stand. Yikes! I could place the feet in the middle but I don’t like that look. Seems like myself and the poster above got the last 2 sets from Crutchfield. I think Sony just doesn't make that many 85” at once due to the large price tag. First impressions.... I thought it would look bigger lol. It’s the perfect side for my living room. I really realize now that the 75” was too small. Uniformity looks good. No DSE. I did notice a little blooming in black bars that I did not notice on my 75”. I think that’s just due to the bigger size. It seems brighter than the 75” too. Haven’t watched anything of quality yet. Saving that for tonight. Yes she’s heavy at around 150lbs but I was able to lift it up with the wife’s help no problem.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I had earlier asked about energy consumption on these TVs..fun fact...75“ 575 watts , 85” a whopping 796 watts.. of course that’s peak usage.. I demo‘d the 75” at Best Buy given limited conditions there.. of course they had everything set to vivid and running an 8k loop video.. so tough to gauge but still impressive.. Android OS seem very snappy ... compared to my 900F . Pulled the trigger on 85” @ Crutchfield.. got the last one they had. Best Buy didn’t have any , no ETA on future availability on the 85.. Seems 85 is in demand or not a whole lot of them made? given the cost of the Tv , I’m contemplating extended warranty, but for now, my credit card doubles Sony factory warranty.. I have 60:days to decide if I should decide to buy square trade through Crutchfield.
The 900F is a good set , but two things that really disappointed. Blooming and dim Dolby vision on darker scenes .. I’m mostly in darker environment and bias lighting not much help ..Im afraid I really couldn’t gauge these two things very well when I demo’d the 75 @ Best Buy.. from what I read here and elsewhere..should be fine ( fingers crossed) .. thank you all for your input on this forum .. an immense help in making a decision to buy .. excited to get it.. not too excited about hanging this 150 lb beast!
Congratulations-- Its a great TV-- BTW for others, The Magnolia Room at Best Buy is a good place to compare TVs-- they will let you reset from Demo mode to something more reasonable (I suggest Custom) and let you look at other sources (including a Blu-Ray player connected to the Z8H)-- This is actually what convinced me how good this TV really is. I was standing in front of a 77" LG CX and Sony A9G, but kept looking over at the Z8H--

421 - 440 of 703 Posts