AVS Forum banner

441 - 460 of 540 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,042 Posts

Congrats BigBlue! Hope this one is a keeper...I am sure it will be, cause it is an awesome set.

One word of caution...even 85" will begin to shrink on you! 😝

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #442
Idk if it’s a placebo effect or what but it seems that the 85” is upscaling low quality sources better than the 75” I had. I see less artifacts and noise. May just be panel variance or factory calibration variance. Overall the 85 seems to be performing better across the board even though it’s the same exact TV set. I probably just had a 75” unit that didn’t get as much TLC.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I had earlier asked about energy consumption on these TVs..fun fact...75“ 575 watts , 85” a whopping 796 watts.. of course that’s peak usage
I believe it. I have mine on the wall, and when I walk up to it I can feel the heat radiating off the TV. It is one serious piece of equipment.

·
Registered
269 Posts
So nobody here that has a 85ZH8 and can do a zone check? :) i really wonder how many it has and if it has more then 2000 nits.
You might remember the 100" ZD9 that did 3000 nits way more than then smaller models.

Im still contemplating about getting a ZH8 next year or a way cheaper 77CX OLED this year as a replacement of my 940E replacement that has vertial banding while the first did not T_T.
The 85" screens do not go down in price that much over here. the 75ZH8 already had a small reduction so there is hope there.

I would love a 85" but i would have to replace my wallmount (it can only support 55KG and the 85" ZH8 and ZG8 are way more).

Im afraid i will miss the nits output when i go OLED. Yes blacks are superb and dimming is insane but high nits scenes look dull on a oled. My screen has 1176nits peak and i love it compared to a 65C9. I can only wonder how awesome a 4000 nits ZG9 will look. To bad they are still 10.000 euro over here 8700 if you get a discount. For comparison a 77CX is "only" 4700. The 75ZH8 5600.

And i do not like the fact that the ZH8 and ZG9 do not have all HDMI 2.1 features and are not able to display 8K trough the internal app.
I guess next year Sony will come with a new SOC that will replace the Ultimate chipset and will give you all those capability's.

·
Vendor
27,502 Posts
View attachment 3044354
Got her all set up. She barely fits on my stand. Yikes! I could place the feet in the middle but I don’t like that look. Seems like myself and the poster above got the last 2 sets from Crutchfield. I think Sony just doesn't make that many 85” at once due to the large price tag.
Edge to edge, just the way it should be, there are not a ton around, but they are around, some dealers just can not move them while others can...

·
Registered
391 Posts

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
You want to see ridiculous, check the price for the 85 in Canada.

JD
Well you dont want to see the price of the 85 inch Z8H in Australia. Now this is the Cheapest in Australia, the CHEAPEST so Dont complain about your 9k or even 12K because I would by it for 12k tomorrow but try 17k. Again this is the cheap shop for Australia.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #452
Well you dont want to see the price of the 85 inch Z8H in Australia. Now this is the Cheapest in Australia, the CHEAPEST so Dont complain about your 9k or even 12K because I would by it for 12k tomorrow but try 17k. Again this is the cheap shop for Australia.
Now that’s different. 17K AUS is 12K US. While 12K CAN is 9K US. So it’s basically same price US to CAN but AUS is 3K more than both smh.

·
Registered
312 Posts
What are you complaining about us Aussies just got a price reduction, upon release it was RRP$18,999 now it's $16,995 WOW :p

But seriously Sony Australia have lost touch with reality if they want to move those they ought to drop the price much much further it should be $10,000 at the most, it's not even a Master Series if that means anything to anyone, these 8K TVs are glorified 4K panels anyway, the Sony's can't resolve 8K resolution I know it doesn't matter but it's the principle of it all, it's advertised as such, Sony Australia again screwed us for not bringing the 85 inch X9500H down under.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Anyone know how to engage IMAX mode? I have Zombieland Double Tap on 4k Blu-ray playing my Denon x3700h is playing in IMaX but the TV not so much..

JD

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
What are you complaining about us Aussies just got a price reduction, upon release it was RRP$18,999 now it's $16,995 WOW :p
Most People like me that like Quality would pay up to 12k for the 85 Z8H but not 16.8k. Well put it this way the Z9G went for 26k and the last one now are going for 16.8k same price the Z8H is today and if the Z8H followed the same pattern the 85 inch Z8h should go around at least 12K by Xmas or over. Yes I have spent 14k for 86 IPS LG Lemon before, the worst TV I ever had in our house.
Anyhow back on Topic of this Wonderful Sony the Z8h Series.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #456
Ok so one thing I am noticing on the 85” that I didn’t on the 75” is blooming. It’s nothing drastic or distracting. I just notice that I spot it easier on the 85” than I did on the 75”. I guess size and possible higher brightness than the 75” has something to do with it seeing how the 85” Z9G also had some blooming. On the plus side, this 85” set looks noticeably cleaner than the 75”. Less artifacts and noise. Overall better and brighter picture on the 85. Only downside is you notice the blooming more than on the 75”. Not enough to the point that makes me want to go back to an OLED. The near black handling and shadow detail is superb. No crushed blacks or near black posterization that you experience on OLEDs at all.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Ok so one thing I am noticing on the 85” that I didn’t on the 75” is blooming. It’s nothing drastic or distracting. I just notice that I spot it easier on the 85” than I did on the 75”. I guess size and possible higher brightness than the 75” has something to do with it seeing how the 85” Z9G also had some blooming. On the plus side, this 85” set looks noticeably cleaner than the 75”. Less artifacts and noise. Overall better and brighter picture on the 85. Only downside is you notice the blooming more than on the 75”. Not enough to the point that makes me want to go back to an OLED. The near black handling and shadow detail is superb. No crushed blacks or near black posterization that you experience on OLEDs at all.
Do you notice this increased blooming on the 85 in the bars or in the picture?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Just got her in and hooked up ... Confirming blooming or bleeding into the black bars on the 85”. its pretty noticeable I ll attempt to load a pic to depict , but of course the pic greatly exaggerates, and not as bad in person.. this is the case for hdr or dolby vision... no amount of tinkering with settings cleans this up.. .. there is some blooming in actual content , but you have to hunt for it... on the other hand sdr content is near oled quality..in fact sdr content is so good on this tv , that I sometimes have to check if im on sdr or hdr source. Screen uniformity is near perfect no dse at all...corners are a tad darker.. i find apple tv 4k or even roku does better on netflix than native app...native app seems washed out and subtitles are way too bright on hdr/dolby source.. colors are vibrant and punchy , but not overstated, brightness can hurt your eyes...even when dialed down.. upscaling is good a bit smoother than i think it should be.. still a lot tweaking to be done ..im hoping one of the more advanced users will publish some settings .. Am I happy with the TV , yes absolutely! , but im not happy with what i paid for it, lol.. I know Sony products are overpriced when they come out , but at this price point , i expected less bleeding into black bars...i also expected better sound from the TV itself , i have an avr connected , but still .... had the tv been about 2- 3k less, id be a lot more satisfied, lol....i guess its the law of diminishing returns , where the higher up in quality you go, the harder it is to
to make any gains.. for reference .. i came from 75 940d , then 85 x900f..

the pic im going to try and load is from cbs all access, Picard , episode 1 , around 6:17 mark..
D0982791-C6D8-4057-9539-28DADE8455DA.jpeg

441 - 460 of 540 Posts