AVS Forum banner

461 - 480 of 540 Posts

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
In the bars and only in the dark with lights off. Also in only HDR/DV content. No noticeable blooming in SDR.
That sounds just like the Z9G. No blooming in the picture itself ever but the bars are bloom city with DV (and slightly less so with normal HDR).

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
Just got her in and hooked up ... Confirming blooming or bleeding into the black bars on the 85”. its pretty noticeable I ll attempt to load a pic to depict , but of course the pic greatly exaggerates, and not as bad in person.. this is the case for hdr or dolby vision... no amount of tinkering with settings cleans this up.. .. there is some blooming in actual content , but you have to hunt for it... on the other hand sdr content is near oled quality..in fact sdr content is so good on this tv , that I sometimes have to check if im on sdr or hdr source. Screen uniformity is near perfect no dse at all...corners are a tad darker.. i find apple tv 4k or even roku does better on netflix than native app...native app seems washed out and subtitles are way too bright on hdr/dolby source.. colors are vibrant and punchy , but not overstated, brightness can hurt your eyes...even when dialed down.. upscaling is good a bit smoother than i think it should be.. still a lot tweaking to be done ..im hoping one of the more advanced users will publish some settings .. Am I happy with the TV , yes absolutely! , but im not happy with what i paid for it, lol.. I know Sony products are overpriced when they come out , but at this price point , i expected less bleeding into black bars...i also expected better sound from the TV itself , i have an avr connected , but still .... had the tv been about 2- 3k less, id be a lot more satisfied, lol....i guess its the law of diminishing returns , where the higher up in quality you go, the harder it is to
to make any gains.. for reference .. i came from 75 940d , then 85 x900f..

the pic im going to try and load is from cbs all access, Picard , episode 1 , around 6:17 mark.. View attachment 3046156 View attachment 3046156
Thank you for the picture. This confirms that the Z8H acts similarly to the Z9G.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Ok so one thing I am noticing on the 85” that I didn’t on the 75” is blooming. It’s nothing drastic or distracting. I just notice that I spot it easier on the 85” than I did on the 75”. I guess size and possible higher brightness than the 75” has something to do with it seeing how the 85” Z9G also had some blooming. On the plus side, this 85” set looks noticeably cleaner than the 75”. Less artifacts and noise. Overall better and brighter picture on the 85. Only downside is you notice the blooming more than on the 75”. Not enough to the point that makes me want to go back to an OLED. The near black handling and shadow detail is superb. No crushed blacks or near black posterization that you experience on OLEDs at all.
If the screen is brighters its logical you have more blooming and can spot it more easy.

Reactions: jbdan

·
Registered
173 Posts
Do we have an official zone count for the 85"? Sorry if this has been posted already, but I can't for the life of me find the search thread feature ever since these forums were updated,

Reactions: Blackman

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Do we have an official zone count for the 85"? Sorry if this has been posted already, but I can't for the life of me find the search thread feature ever since these forums were updated,
Yes still waiting for this, the zone count for a 85 inch Z8H. We all know the 75 Z8H has 320 Zone but dont know anything about the 85 inch model on zone counts. Regarding the Peak Brightness on both sizes I was told that the both the 75 and the 85 inch has 2200 nits.Can someone confirm this.
Thanks

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
If the screen is brighters its logical you have more blooming and can spot it more easy.
We will find out soon enough if the 85 inch Z8H is brighter than the 75 inch.

Reactions: HeisenbergABQ

·
Registered
19 Posts
Attempted to count zones on 85” ... i get 23 across and only 11 down , only 253 ? Tried it several times with same result .. clearly i must be doing something wrong or im as blind as a bat..ive read the 75” has 320 zones? One would expect the 85“ to have more zones ? ....i ve been using the AVS youtube zone counter.. hoping another owner else can try and set me straight..

·
Registered
153 Posts
I checked my 75 at the point you mention I had virtually no blooming at the point you mentioned . I had my light sensor off in a dark room just to see but not like you had my set was calibrated and on custom.

JD

·
Registered
19 Posts
I checked my 75 at the point you mention I had virtually no blooming at the point you mentioned ...
Hi JD, im going to be a bit presumptuous here and assume thiat your comment was in references to my earlier post and pic about the 85 bleed into letterboxes? If so can you confirm that it was streaming in dolby vision? If such is the case , then based on this and other 75” ownners observations , it leads me to believe that the 75 has better FALD ... which is very sad and dissapointung for us 85” owners...and diesnt make much sense ? my set is not calibrated.but i find it difficult to believe calibration could overcome the disparity between the observations on the two tvs ..Im still wrangling with the zone count on the 85..earlier posted 23x11 or 253 zones, but perhaps this is 22x12 or 264 zones.?
either way , a far cry from the 320 reported on the smaller 75” ? Whats wrong with this picture ? 😐

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hi JD, im going to be a bit presumptuous here and assume thiat your comment was in references to my earlier post and pic about the 85 bleed into letterboxes? If so can you confirm that it was streaming in dolby vision? If such is the case , then based on this and other 75” ownners observations , it leads me to believe that the 75 has better FALD ... which is very sad and dissapointung for us 85” owners...and diesnt make much sense ? my set is not calibrated.but i find it difficult to believe calibration could overcome the disparity between the observations on the two tvs ..Im still wrangling with the zone count on the 85..earlier posted 23x11 or 253 zones, but perhaps this is 22x12 or 264 zones.?
either way , a far cry from the 320 reported on the smaller 75” ? Whats wrong with this picture ? 😐
Can I ask if you were watching DV on streaming or a UHD. With the 75 I see more visible blooming when streaming. Its still pretty minimal but it is there on Netflix DV content where its not present on UHD DV content.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I hit the wrong button when I tried to answer you, I mentioned the the light sensor was off it was greyed out because of the HDR mode I am assuming. I took a picture at the same spot to see if it looked like yours but I had no blooming at all. My picture is outstanding no matter what I throw at it. I posted my calibration settings earlier on here if that helps.

JD

·
Registered
19 Posts
thanks JD and Legacy.. it doesnt matter on my set whether streaming or disk.. there is still noticeable bleeding into the letterboxes as the content changes in HDR or DV .. mind you this is under pretty dark ambient conditions, and as i mentioned , the camera exaggerates the bleeding on the pic i posted ...... so the extent is not horrible as in a deal breaker, but it is a bit disappointing given the cost of the TV and exoectations...however if youve watched Vincent review of this set on Hdtv tesr youtube channel, he mentions there is blooming and suggest you can try some bias lighting or go with oled if you cant stand it.. oled is out if the question for me... but one must consider this is some powerful backlighting! How can there not be some blooming?... i had a940d which was awesome as far as local dimming very little bloom , but the hdr brightness was nowhere near what the z8h levels are... so it sort of makes sense .. ill try and plug in JDs calibrated settings soon , just for grins.. thanks for posting that JD👍
Here is the link to the youtube review i mention above; also posted earlier in this thread... re 4:52 mark

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #473
While yes, blooming is more noticeable on the 85” than it is on the 75”, it’s I’m my opinion that I am viewing a better overall picture quality on the 85 than I did the 75. It seems a lot brighter overall and very clean with little to no noise and artifacts. Is the a little blooming, yes. Is it a deal breaker? Hell no! I’m not going back to an OLED. The picture on this beast is so bright and natural looking. My wife isn’t a TV person at all, but the way she describes the difference between the oled and this set. She’s says the Z8H has a lot more clarity and looks natural or more realistic. While the oled was sharp but looked fake or artificial and didn’t get as bright. As to why there’s more blooming on 85 vs 75... I have no idea. It was an issue with the Z9G as well from what I’ve read. The only drawback to this set to me is the price tag.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Still hard to get used to the sheer horsepower of the TV (75"). It's so striking to go from it and to my bedroom to finish programs sometimes if it's too late and see how a current OLED stacks up HDR wise. Thursday night football game in 4K/HDR on both the Z8H looked like real stadium light intensity whereas the OLED looked dull by comparison. Still really happy with the black level performance and other than finding a good SDR picture setting i like and the stupidity of Sony to not have different presets for HDR modes other than DV I have no real issues and continue to be impressed.

·
Registered
269 Posts
While yes, blooming is more noticeable on the 85” than it is on the 75”, it’s I’m my opinion that I am viewing a better overall picture quality on the 85 than I did the 75. It seems a lot brighter overall and very clean with little to no noise and artifacts. Is the a little blooming, yes. Is it a deal breaker? Hell no! I’m not going back to an OLED. The picture on this beast is so bright and natural looking. My wife isn’t a TV person at all, but the way she describes the difference between the oled and this set. She’s says the Z8H has a lot more clarity and looks natural or more realistic. While the oled was sharp but looked fake or artificial and didn’t get as bright. As to why there’s more blooming on 85 vs 75... I have no idea. It was an issue with the Z9G as well from what I’ve read. The only drawback to this set to me is the price tag.
I wonder how bright that 85" can go. Maybe its also in the 3000-4000 range?
The 100" ZD9 was also a lot brighter compared to the 65 and 75" models. It did 3000 nits.
The ZG9 does 4000. So i guess its possible that the 85" ZH8 with more zones compared to the 75" is quite a bit brighter ( and thus will have more visible blooming compared to the 75" because of the extra brightness that cannot be blocked if the zones cannot be turned off).

Would you be so kind to try and count the zones of the 85" model? the 75" has 320Zones.

Still hard to get used to the sheer horsepower of the TV (75"). It's so striking to go from it and to my bedroom to finish programs sometimes if it's too late and see how a current OLED stacks up HDR wise. Thursday night football game in 4K/HDR on both the Z8H looked like real stadium light intensity whereas the OLED looked dull by comparison. Still really happy with the black level performance and other than finding a good SDR picture setting i like and the stupidity of Sony to not have different presets for HDR modes other than DV I have no real issues and continue to be impressed.
I can imagine. I already see that when i compare my 940E with only 1200nits to a C9 OLED.
I cannot imagine how awesome a ZH8 or ZG9 will look.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Can anyone reccomend a wall mount and model for 85“ ZH8? Did anyone have it installed by a company like Best Buy and do you reccomend? Thx

·
Registered
391 Posts
I can't remember who asked about IMAX but I found an article written on this forum on how to obtain Privilege 4k app from SONY
pretty much self explanatory .... I'll post some pics later

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi Johnny,
depends on the kind of mount you need...i have a tilt mount with wide girth that covers 3 studs on 16” centers.. its rated at 165lbs which barely covers the 85“z8h 150lb weight , but is UL rated and is extremely rugged. .. it sits about 3.5 -5“ inches from the wall , slight tilt forward..just enough clearance to make connections.. if you want flush mount , it should allow you to tilt the tv forward to access the ports. I wall mounted mine myself with help from a couple of stocky young men, but its weight was quite intimidating and not for the feint of heart ... also need to consider what you are haning it on , brick, , sheet rock etc.. unless you are really a handyman diy kind of guy , i would strongly suggest to get it mounted by a pro.. best buy or angies list could probably help... as for the mount itself , i get mine from monoprice.com, who also have good hdmi cables.. they are inexpensive but well made ... id recomnend a ul rated mount .. as they are tested at 4x their rated weight. My mount is monoprice.com item 6663 ...$40 ...Good luck

·
Registered
391 Posts
Here are some of pics I took with my iPhone of the screen.... again the pics don't do the TV picture justice.... the tv just plays the IMAX format... there are no settings to adjust... couldn't find any.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Johnny,
depends on the kind of mount you need...i have a tilt mount with wide girth that covers 3 studs on 16” centers.. its rated at 165lbs which barely covers the 85“z8h 150lb weight , but is UL rated and is extremely rugged. .. it sits about 3.5 -5“ inches from the wall , slight tilt forward..just enough clearance to make connections.. if you want flush mount , it should allow you to tilt the tv forward to access the ports. I wall mounted mine myself with help from a couple of stocky young men, but its weight was quite intimidating and not for the feint of heart ... also need to consider what you are haning it on , brick, , sheet rock etc.. unless you are really a handyman diy kind of guy , i would strongly suggest to get it mounted by a pro.. best buy or angies list could probably help... as for the mount itself , i get mine from monoprice.com, who also have good hdmi cables.. they are inexpensive but well made ... id recomnend a ul rated mount .. as they are tested at 4x their rated weight. My mount is monoprice.com item 6663 ...$40 ...Good luck
Thwnk you Curly, very much appreciated!

461 - 480 of 540 Posts