AVS Forum banner

481 - 500 of 540 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
I keep getting drawn to this set. I am waiting on a replacement Panasonic OLED but if that has poor uniformity then I am going to look again at LG’s at 77” and this set at 75”.

I saw it in 85” at local store but it was tricky to assess blacks and blooming (two things important to me) with store content. Store content did look good though

·
Vendor
27,502 Posts
I keep getting drawn to this set. I am waiting on a replacement Panasonic OLED but if that has poor uniformity then I am going to look again at LG’s at 77” and this set at 75”.

I saw it in 85” at local store but it was tricky to assess blacks and blooming (two things important to me) with store content. Store content did look good though
Oh she is sweet, yet expensive...... 8K for the new gaming systems as well......

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi JD,
i applied your calibration settings , but only for sdr content, hadnt really tweaked hdr or dv settings.. but honestly, was pleasantly surprised with the results... i did however “tweak” them in that i didnt enable all the processing features, such as contrast enhancements, etc..
everyone usually recommend expert 1 as the best color temperature, but warm is much more natural and expert 1 being too reddish orange for me, at least on my set , yours too i guess? i plugged these settings for ota tv, but it’s interesting that these setting carried over to other sources, like roku and atv4k ....having had 3 sonys before, this is the first time i find the light sensor feature useful for daytime viewing ...at night , its dims too much for me.. another interesting item is that the light sensor is deactivated by playing hdr or dv content , even though it may show its still on in the menu.. thats a good thing as far as im cincerned..
i toyed a bit with dv bright and dv dark..come to find out that dv bright is same as dv dark with gamma dialed up a notch to brighten the picture , lol.. so this feature is essentially a shortcut to adjust gamma based on your preference.. like you, i find the Netflix calibrated mode to dim for my taste...and its only available for native app..so even if you like it , its not there for external sources.
thanks for sharing sir ! ... look forward to additional input from others on settings 👍

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Attempted to count zones on 85” ... i get 23 across and only 11 down , only 253 ? Tried it several times with same result .. clearly i must be doing something wrong or im as blind as a bat..ive read the 75” has 320 zones? One would expect the 85“ to have more zones ? ....i ve been using the AVS youtube zone counter.. hoping another owner else can try and set me straight..
Does not make sence to have 85 Z8H with less zones than the 320 on the 75 inch model. Even the Z9D in 65 inch had around 530 Zones, the 75 Z9D had 800 Zones and the 100 inch had over 1000 zones so i expect at a minimum the 85 inch Z8H to have at least 320 Zones like the 75 inch model and if is the case this is the reason why some are saying that the 85 inch model has more blooming compared to the 75 inch. We need to have more accurate measurements done but others

·
Registered
48 Posts
I upgraded from a 75" Z9D to a 75" Z8H on Friday and I'm happy with the purchase. HDR is just redonculous! Not in a bad way...but I don't know if I need any more nits at this point. :p I threw in Pacific Rim on 4K disc and was blown away...on the edge of over-the-top. Went to The Revenant on 4K disc and that set my mind at ease. It looked natural but it was still a knockout with the HDR highlights in the appropriate scenes. I think that Pacific Rim comic craziness is just how they wanted it to look and this TV can actually get to the levels it was mastered at. The interface is a bit more responsive than the Z9D. Blooming is roughly the same as the Z9D and by that I mean practically non-existent; only the brightest scenes get the black bars to brighten up a hair when there are 800+ nit highlights nearby (think the final fight in Wonder Woman). eARC is working well on my setup (Yamaha RX-A3070 receiver w/PS4 Pro, XBOX One X, & Oppo Blu all feeding the TV direct). The only hiccups are a slight delay in establishing the initial audio stream connection (like 1/2 a sec) and I have heard a couple drop outs but they are rare and can probably be fixed with a newer/proper 2.1 HDMI cable. We watched "Deliver Us From Evil" on normal Blu last night which is a dark movie and the blacks were flat out awesome. There's a couple scenes with flashlights in very dark scenes and I've never seen SDR look so good (and that's without any of the "trick" features turned on like XDR and the backlight at just "5").

Hopefully we'll see the HDMI Firmware update this week. The X900H guys located their North American update on the Sony servers before it actually posted to the support page so it should be any day now.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Attempted to count zones on 85” ... i get 23 across and only 11 down , only 253 ? Tried it several times with same result .. clearly i must be doing something wrong or im as blind as a bat..ive read the 75” has 320 zones? One would expect the 85“ to have more zones ? ....i ve been using the AVS youtube zone counter.. hoping another owner else can try and set me straight..
Do you have contrast and brightness set to max when using the zone counter? Also, it helps if you stand at angle to the TV to make the blooming and zone changes more visible. I wouldn't surprised if the 85" has the same zone count as the 75", But I'd be both shocked and devastated if it actually had less.

Reactions: Blackman

·
Registered
19 Posts
Do you have contrast and brightness set to max when using the zone counter? Also, it helps if you stand at angle to the TV to make the blooming and zone changes more visible.
thanks Heisenberg, but I Tried all that in a near pitch black room... im embarassed to say thats all i got 😞...i have a hard time discerning when it turns the corner so im not sure if ts 23 x11 253 zones is peculiar number for total zone count ..so maybe 22x12 or 264 zones ? .i just watch the white square move across and count when it flares... im hoping another 85” owner who knows what hes doing will count and put me out of my misery, one way or another!!.. 😜

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
I wouldn't surprised if the 85" has the same zone count as the 75", But I'd be both shocked and devastated if it actually had less.
Can someone put up a link where to download or what site has the zone counter tool to use to do this?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hi JD,
i applied your calibration settings , but only for sdr content, hadnt really tweaked hdr or dv settings.. but honestly, was pleasantly surprised with the results... i did however “tweak” them in that i didnt enable all the processing features, such as contrast enhancements, etc..
everyone usually recommend expert 1 as the best color temperature, but warm is much more natural and expert 1 being too reddish orange for me, at least on my set , yours too i guess? i plugged these settings for ota tv, but it’s interesting that these setting carried over to other sources, like roku and atv4k ....having had 3 sonys before, this is the first time i find the light sensor feature useful for daytime viewing ...at night , its dims too much for me.. another interesting item is that the light sensor is deactivated by playing hdr or dv content , even though it may show its still on in the menu.. thats a good thing as far as im cincerned..
i toyed a bit with dv bright and dv dark..come to find out that dv bright is same as dv dark with gamma dialed up a notch to brighten the picture , lol.. so this feature is essentially a shortcut to adjust gamma based on your preference.. like you, i find the Netflix calibrated mode to dim for my taste...and its only available for native app..so even if you like it , its not there for external sources.
thanks for sharing sir ! ... look forward to additional input from others on settings 👍
I am all setup and complete as with these settings until a calibrator comes next month. I notice when there are scenes when people are wearing dark colored clothing the TV displays it as completely black. Is that normal or is there anything I can do to adjust that?

·
Registered
173 Posts
Can someone put up a link where to download or what site has the zone counter tool to use to do this?
This is what I've always used to count zones.

Reactions: Blackman

·
Registered
19 Posts
I am all setup and complete as with these settings until a calibrator comes next month. I notice when there are scenes when people are wearing dark colored clothing the TV displays it as completely black. Is that normal or is there anything I can do to adjust that?
sounds like you are describing blacks getting “crushed” meaning you lose the detail on dark scenes.
this can be due to source material or tv setting / calibration. Sonys are known for pretty good out of the box settings , so i would guess its source related.. then again enhancements such as advanced contrast and black adjust could be causing problems, local dimming usually recommended on medium because high setting can cause what you describe...its very difficult to quantify on a post , you just about have to cite an example scene from a movie or show , then pick a good popular source and post time stamp so a relative comparison can be made by other users .. i see you waiting a month to get the set calibrated, im curious did your calibration guy advise a wait period to “break “ the tv in ? Ive read somewhere that this is a recommended practice as the light output can gradually change over time .

·
Registered
27 Posts
That is a good way to put it 'crushed blacks' I spent some time to find some scenes and have attached pictures, please ignore the white streak at the top left I turned all the lights on when taking a picture.

The Dark Knight (notice batman appears very dark)

The Matrix (the police outfit is all dark I can't differentiate it)

Transformers (I believe this is a good dark scene test, it seems ok but darker/greyer than I would be used to).

Here are all my settings, I took JD's settings for now.

In terms of calibration, they recommended 200 hours and I have been looping an OLED burn in clip while I am at work so I have 200 hours on it already. I wanted to wait until I got the ps5 so that it can be calibrated for movies/ps5.

Any thoughts on the examples above or is that normal?

·
Premium Member
1,042 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
That is a good way to put it 'crushed blacks' I spent some time to find some scenes and have attached pictures, please ignore the white streak at the top left I turned all the lights on when taking a picture.
View attachment 3048372
The Dark Knight (notice batman appears very dark) View attachment 3048374

View attachment 3048375
Transformers (I believe this is a good dark scene test, it seems ok but darker/greyer than I would be used to).

View attachment 3048376

In terms of calibration, they recommended 200 hours and I have been looping an OLED burn in clip while I am at work so I have 200 hours on it already. I wanted to wait until I got the ps5 so that it can be calibrated for movies/ps5.

How does this look? How about this one in HDR10?

·
Registered
153 Posts
sounds like you are describing blacks getting “crushed” meaning you lose the detail on dark scenes.
this can be due to source material or tv setting / calibration. Sonys are known for pretty good out of the box settings , so i would guess its source related.. then again enhancements such as advanced contrast and black adjust could be causing problems, local dimming usually recommended on medium because high setting can cause what you describe...its very difficult to quantify on a post , you just about have to cite an example scene from a movie or show , then pick a good popular source and post time stamp so a relative comparison can be made by other users .. i see you waiting a month to get the set calibrated, im curious did your calibration guy advise a wait period to “break “ the tv in ? Ive read somewhere that this is a recommended practice as the light output can gradually change over time .
My calibrator said 100 hrs on the TV before calibrating

JD

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
This is what I've always used to count zones.
Thanks for that.
All we need now that new owners of the Sony 85 inch Z8H will use this tool to do a zone count. I say at least the 85 inch Z8H should have the same Zones as the the 75 Z8H but not less.

Reactions: HeisenbergABQ

·
Registered
44 Posts
View attachment 3048372
The Dark Knight (notice batman appears very dark) View attachment 3048374

View attachment 3048375

View attachment 3048376

I spend an hour with this TV at Best Buy (You can do that when you are considering buying a $6,000 TV)-- running various Blu-rays on a player they had hooked up to the TV-- One thing I can say is that this TV doesn't crush blacks-- The Revenant all the way though was stunning and its about the best black level test I know of-- Maybe its an adjustment or mode-- I used Custom Mode for test viewing--

481 - 500 of 540 Posts