AVS Forum banner

501 - 520 of 749 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
So compare OLED performance to the Z8H-- I still haven't quite decided between the Sony A9G or LG CX and the Z8H-- for this much money I want the best PQ available-- Those black levels on OLEDS are spectacular as is the HDR performance on the Z8H. Is the trade off worth it one way or the other?-- convince me, 8K notwithstanding--

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
So compare OLED performance to the Z8H-- I still haven't quite decided between the Sony A9G or LG CX and the Z8H-- for this much money I want the best PQ available-- Those black levels on OLEDS are spectacular as is the HDR performance on the Z8H. Is the trade off worth it one way or the other?-- convince me, 8K notwithstanding--
What size Z8H are you looking at? If 75, go for the OLED. If 85, it depends on your viewing environment, uses, and what trade offs you’re prepared to accept.

·
Registered
56 Posts
What size Z8H are you looking at? If 75, go for the OLED. If 85, it depends on your viewing environment, uses, and what trade offs you’re prepared to accept.
75– can’t afford the 85– dark room, back lit, sit 10 feet away— I do love the Z8H— may son plays a lot of games and watches a lot of baseball. I do worry about burn in and would have to get a warranty that covers that— making the overall costs a little closer— having to be careful with what I view seems a bit ridiculous.

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
75– can’t afford the 85– dark room, back lit, sit 10 feet away— I do love the Z8H— may son plays a lot of games and watches a lot of baseball. I do worry about burn in and would have to get a warranty that covers that— making the overall costs a little closer— having to be careful with what I view seems a bit ridiculous.
For the price of a 75 you could almost get a second 77 inch OLED if the first one burns in.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I installed the new firmware and did a factory reset. No issues so far. I don't see the 4k/120 option on anything other than HDMI 4. :confused:

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
I installed the new firmware and did a factory reset. No issues so far. I don't see the 4k/120 option on anything other than HDMI 4. :confused:
HDMI 4 is the only 40gb port, so it will be the only one able to receive 4k120 at anything greater than 4:2:0 from a source.

·
Registered
39 Posts
That is a good way to put it 'crushed blacks' I spent some time to find some scenes and have attached pictures,
Any thoughts on the examples above or is that normal?
hi kuznagi,
i took a look at the scenes you picked, i think the dark knight and matrix was just a dark setting and authored that way, i had to look close but there is some fleeting detail there that you can see as the characters and camera moves .On the transformers scene the contrast from the bright desert sand to black choppers is just to stark.. in other words, im seeing about the same pq as you do, i didnt really see anything out of line in your setting either... turning the black level up gives a bit more detail in the shadow areas, but the trade off is not worth it.. 51, 52 tops i think ..check out the brightness calibration youtube that Heisenberg linked in his reply ( thanks for that ! ) mine was right on the money with columns17-25 flashing.. keep in mind my set is not calibrated ... yet , anyways ..
Id be interested to see what your impressions are after you get it calibrated..let us know please..
i updated the firmware to the latest, no perceptible change to me, but i thinks it mostly to add 4k120hz capability to hdmi 4 as others have stated..
ive got some bias lighting ordered..This one. Looking forward to installing them , anyone else got any Bias lighting on this Tv?

·
Vendor
28,001 Posts
Burn in is rare, especially considering the amount of 77" effected, I will admit there are more then a few past client who have gotten free screens from LG on 55" and 65" but only 1 single complaint on the 77" over here..... If you did not know LG is replacing screens for free, here is proof >>> Click here <<<

--With this said the 75Z8H should have to best gaming experience being 8K and Sony making there own gaming system as well. The PS5 should play perfect with this TV you would guess seeing its the only 8K TV Sony makes so you would think they are testing the PS5 with this TV big time especially considering 950H, A8H, and A9G will never have HDMI 2.1....... Well see though.

Buy a 3rd party warranty, like the Mack warranty and save some cash......

·
Registered
56 Posts
Not as interested in gaming since my son is graduating from a college this year (there is grad school next)— but I do want something to run the new PS5 on ( and possible future 8K content) — so that counts. What do you think of Picture Quality? On the Z8H? Are black levels approaching OLED or sadly lacking In any day to day observations? The Z8H has dazzling HDR performance, is that paired with (way?) above average black levels for an LED make for an overall better experience? I am leaning to the Z8H, cost be damned— but it’s a lot more money than the CX or A9G, and I don’t want to buy something inherently inferior for $2K more— Ready to buy soon and stop driving myself crazy— I realize that these are all great TVs, BTW. I’m not looking for definitive answers, just opinions from folks who have seen a lot of TVS—coming from a Sony 65” x930c (Good TV, but it’s not the best for HDR)—

·
Registered
39 Posts
For the price of a 75 you could almost get a second 77 inch OLED if the first one burns in.
unquestionably, the 77” oled is a much better value these days .. im usually all about getting best bang for your bucks , but im with others and majorly averse to burn in.. now a days many channel have their badge constantly locked into one of the corners.. or if youre a gamer, HUD is a concern.. i doze off and wake up,to screens asking me if im still there...i know you can apply screensavers and such , but they take a few to kick in and I believe burn in is a cumulative process..maybe LG and others have liberal replacement warranties , but stiil a hassle to deal with if it comes to that. If your looking to avoid any chance of burn in , can live with a bit of blooming and want the 2000 nit performance that absolutely wows, then the z8h is your ticket .. value be damned..if youre looking for value go for oled. Given all that, I dont think there is a wrong choice, just whats best for you .

·
Registered
56 Posts
unquestionably, the 77” oled is a much better value these days .. im usually all about getting best bang for your bucks , but im with others and majorly averse to burn in.. now a days many channel have their badge constantly locked into one of the corners.. or if youre a gamer, HUD is a concern.. i doze off and wake up,to screens asking me if im still there...i know you can apply screensavers and such , but they take a few to kick in and I believe burn in is a cumulative process..maybe LG and others have liberal replacement warranties , but stiil a hassle to deal with if it comes to that. If your looking to avoid any chance of burn in , can live with a bit of blooming and want the 2000 nit performance that absolutely wows, then the z8h is your ticket .. value be damned..if youre looking for value go for oled. Given all that, I dont think there is a wrong choice, just whats best for you .
After sending an hour in the showroom with this TV the only place I saw much blooming was in the TV's own menus. Not even in the famous subtitled Revenant scene--

·
Registered
SONY XBR75Z8H, XBR77A9G, XBR48A9S, SONY HT-Z9F Soundbar w/ Z9R Rears, PANASONIC UB820, SONY PS5
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #512
Excuse my all over the place reasoning I’m about to spew. I’ve owned both OLED and now the Z8H. I know it’s a difficult choice ESPECIALLY with how low prices have dropped for 77” OLEDS that used to be 7k not too long again. I’ll say this, when it comes to size, I’d take the 77” OLED over the 75” Z8H. Those 2” make a difference and the OLED has a great PQ. The 75” Z8H is $2500 more. If you’ve got it to spend 6K on a TV, I say bite the bullet and go for the 85”. In my personal experience, the 85” offers a better picture quality than the 75”. May be the combination of increased size and higher peak brightness on the 85”. The OLED has great blacks but they crush blacks like crazy. They also suffer from near black chrominance, flashing and noise/artifacts in near blacks. They also don’t get as bright. A flashlights shine on the A9G looks great because it’s surrounded by inky pure black but it’s looks REAL on the Z8H because of the high peak brightness making it look so natural like a real flashlight. If you can’t stand blooming, go for the OLED. If you want a very natural high clarity picture than go with the Z8H. Yes the OLED is sharp but I’ve never felt like I saw a scene where it appears as though I’m looking through and open window. I experience that a lot on the 85” Z8H. On the oled it looks like I’m looking through a closed window. If that makes any sense. And the skin textures don’t look as natural on the OLeD. There’s a bunch of little fine details that you can differentiate between the two and it’s a hard choice. As someone stated to me in another post, you either pay 8-9k for one solid, future proof, quality TV that’ll last almost 6-8 years. Or you pay 3k for a set now and another 3-4K for another set in 3 years when 8K and hdmi 2.1 becomes mainstream and you feel behind or left out. When watching dark scene on the OLED I was constantly frustrated. Tinkering with settings. I have no issues with dark scenes on the Z8H. And the naysayers out in the world that say 8K doesn’t make a difference most likely has never experienced it. I can definitely see the small details like facial wrinkles and hair strands or text on a book or wall in the background. The clarity is increased and fine detail is more noticeable. These are all things only people with some form of OCD will notice though lol. The average TV watcher would be perfectly fine with an 750H and call it a day.

·
Registered
39 Posts
From cbs all access Twilight zone S2E3 about 55 seconds in ... very little blooming on content even on subtitles.. inky blacks
85” using APTV 4k in dolby vision in dark viewing environment 👍
E3FC9937-3F73-44AF-ABE5-EB03690D50E4.jpeg

·
Registered
56 Posts
Excuse my all over the place reasoning I’m about to spew. I’ve owned both OLED and now the Z8H. I know it’s a difficult choice ESPECIALLY with how low prices have dropped for 77” OLEDS that used to be 7k not too long again. I’ll say this, when it comes to size, I’d take the 77” OLED over the 75” Z8H. Those 2” make a difference and the OLED has a great PQ. The 75” Z8H is $2500 more. If you’ve got it to spend 6K on a TV, I say bite the bullet and go for the 85”. In my personal experience, the 85” offers a better picture quality than the 75”. May be the combination of increased size and higher peak brightness on the 85”. The OLED has great blacks but they crush blacks like crazy. They also suffer from near black chrominance, flashing and noise/artifacts in near blacks. They also don’t get as bright. A flashlights shine on the A9G looks great because it’s surrounded by inky pure black but it’s looks REAL on the Z8H because of the high peak brightness making it look so natural like a real flashlight. If you can’t stand blooming, go for the OLED. If you want a very natural high clarity picture than go with the Z8H. Yes the OLED is sharp but I’ve never felt like I saw a scene where it appears as though I’m looking through and open window. I experience that a lot on the 85” Z8H. On the oled it looks like I’m looking through a closed window. If that makes any sense. And the skin textures don’t look as natural on the OLeD. There’s a bunch of little fine details that you can differentiate between the two and it’s a hard choice. As someone stated to me in another post, you either pay 8-9k for one solid, future proof, quality TV that’ll last almost 6-8 years. Or you pay 3k for a set now and another 3-4K for another set in 3 years when 8K and hdmi 2.1 becomes mainstream and you feel behind or left out. When watching dark scene on the OLED I was constantly frustrated. Tinkering with settings. I have no issues with dark scenes on the Z8H. And the naysayers out in the world that say 8K doesn’t make a difference most likely has never experienced it. I can definitely see the small details like facial wrinkles and hair strands or text on a book or wall in the background. The clarity is increased and fine detail is more noticeable. These are all things only people with some form of OCD will notice though lol. The average TV watcher would be perfectly fine with an 750H and call it a day.
Thanks— this is very helpful. I am leaning towards the Z8H, but also I cannot spend $9K on a TV— but I will be happy with a 75”, especially coming from a 65” ( which I thought was huge 5 years ago)—

·
Registered
SONY XBR75Z8H, XBR77A9G, XBR48A9S, SONY HT-Z9F Soundbar w/ Z9R Rears, PANASONIC UB820, SONY PS5
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #515 (Edited)
Thanks— this is very helpful. I am leaning towards the Z8H, but also I cannot spend $9K on a TV— but I will be happy with a 75”, especially coming from a 65” ( which I thought was huge 5 years ago)—
I understand 1000%. I’m still smacking myself in the face for buying a 9K TV smh. What a dumbass. In no way am I saying the 75” isn’t worth it. It just makes it a harder sell because the 77” oled is priced cheaper were as the 88” oled is astronomical compared to the 85” Z8H so it’s a no brainer there. You won’t be disappointed. I can tell you this. The A9G is buggy, I had audio issues as are many others. Just browse through the recent pages of the A9G thread and you’ll see. People try to downplay it but it’s not isolated. I had 2 A9Gs and both had hdmi handshake and audio dropout issues.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I understand 1000%. I’m still smacking myself in the face for buying a 9K TV smh. What a dumbass. I know way am I saying the 75” isn’t worth it. It just makes it a harder sell because the oled is priced cheaper we’re ass the 88” oled is astronomical compared to the 85” Z8H so it’s a no brainer there. You won’t be disappointed. I can tell you this. The A9G is buggy, I had audio issues as are many others. Just browse through the recent pages of the A9G thread and you’ll see. People try to downplay it but it’s not isolated. I had 2 A9Gs and both had hdmi handshake and audio dropout issues.
BTW-- my 5 year old TV's Android operating system is the worst that I have ever seen-- push a button, wait for 10 seconds sad MAYBE something happens on screen. Been buggy since day 1--

·
Registered
30 Posts
hi kuznagi,
i took a look at the scenes you picked, i think the dark knight and matrix was just a dark setting and authored that way, i had to look close but there is some fleeting detail there that you can see as the characters and camera moves .On the transformers scene the contrast from the bright desert sand to black choppers is just to stark.. in other words, im seeing about the same pq as you do, i didnt really see anything out of line in your setting either... turning the black level up gives a bit more detail in the shadow areas, but the trade off is not worth it.. 51, 52 tops i think ..check out the brightness calibration youtube that Heisenberg linked in his reply ( thanks for that ! ) mine was right on the money with columns17-25 flashing.. keep in mind my set is not calibrated ... yet , anyways ..
Id be interested to see what your impressions are after you get it calibrated..let us know please..
i updated the firmware to the latest, no perceptible change to me, but i thinks it mostly to add 4k120hz capability to hdmi 4 as others have stated..
ive got some bias lighting ordered..This one. Looking forward to installing them , anyone else got any Bias lighting on this Tv?
Hi Curly,

Thanks for the input looks like it is of norm for those scenes. I played both clips and they seems to be looking good so just to confirm the expected results:
Black Clipping 4k UHD Clip: Anything past the 64 Reference Black Should be Flashing (that is what is happening to me)
AVS HD 709: 17-25 flashing (for me I see 17-25 and very very faint 16-17 flashing)

I have the phillips hue light strips mounted on the back of my TV (was not on in the pictures) would that be sufficient for bias lighting? Is there a recommended color to use? I.e. White

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have the phillips hue light strips mounted on the back of my TV (was not on in the pictures) would that be sufficient for bias lighting? Is there a recommended color to use? I.e. White
hi kuznagi,
glad to hear youre satisfied with your sets performance... not too familiar with phillips hue
but i know that optimum color is white 6500k which is a white daylight color... also the background is supposed to be a neutral color .. 18% gray is optimal, but white , beige or other earthtone will work... ideally youd want the lighting envelope the tv but if you can only do three sides thats ok too.. they dont need to be very bright to do their job... mine arrived unfortunately , i botched the install and crimped the first corner so only 25% of the strip lights up ... arggh! they are very delicate... ive contacted the manufacturer, not sure where we will wind up.

·
Registered
56 Posts
hi kuznagi,
glad to hear youre satisfied with your sets performance... not too familiar with phillips hue
but i know that optimum color is white 6500k which is a white daylight color... also the background is supposed to be a neutral color .. 18% gray is optimal, but white , beige or other earthtone will work... ideally youd want the lighting envelope the tv but if you can only do three sides thats ok too.. they dont need to be very bright to do their job... mine arrived unfortunately , i botched the install and crimped the first corner so only 25% of the strip lights up ... arggh! they are very delicate... ive contacted the manufacturer, not sure where we will wind up.
Actually this product Philips Hue product works quite well-- just set them up behind your TV-- color temperature is (infinitely) adjustable--

501 - 520 of 749 Posts