AVS Forum banner

521 - 540 of 709 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
I understand 1000%. I’m still smacking myself in the face for buying a 9K TV smh. What a dumbass. In no way am I saying the 75” isn’t worth it. It just makes it a harder sell because the 77” oled is priced cheaper were as the 88” oled is astronomical compared to the 85” Z8H so it’s a no brainer there. You won’t be disappointed. I can tell you this. The A9G is buggy, I had audio issues as are many others. Just browse through the recent pages of the A9G thread and you’ll see. People try to downplay it but it’s not isolated. I had 2 A9Gs and both had hdmi handshake and audio dropout issues.
So many things in this post I respect. But re the AG9, in complete agreement, good to hear someone call it as it is. That was bang on my experience with the AG9 and even though I got it at a eye watering discount of £3,300, I had to return it and still considering a 75” ZH8! Common sense and sensible money spending out of the proverbial window!🤦‍♂️

·
Registered
34 Posts
Actually this product Philips Hue product works quite well-- just set them up behind your TV-- color temperature is (infinitely) adjustable--
Thanks DH 👍
im looking into it... now make up your mind and buy the z8h!😁

·
Vendor
27,918 Posts
Thanks— this is very helpful. I am leaning towards the Z8H, but also I cannot spend $9K on a TV— but I will be happy with a 75”, especially coming from a 65” ( which I thought was huge 5 years ago)—
Call dealers, as they can be had for less......
Not as interested in gaming since my son is graduating from a college this year (there is grad school next)— but I do want something to run the new PS5 on ( and possible future 8K content) — so that counts. What do you think of Picture Quality? On the Z8H? Are black levels approaching OLED or sadly lacking In any day to day observations? The Z8H has dazzling HDR performance, is that paired with (way?) above average black levels for an LED make for an overall better experience? I am leaning to the Z8H, cost be damned— but it’s a lot more money than the CX or A9G, and I don’t want to buy something inherently inferior for $2K more— Ready to buy soon and stop driving myself crazy— I realize that these are all great TVs, BTW. I’m not looking for definitive answers, just opinions from folks who have seen a lot of TVS—coming from a Sony 65” x930c (Good TV, but it’s not the best for HDR)—
Z8H is probably as close as you can get to OLED picture quality, is it as good, a meter would side with the OLED more then likely........

·
Registered
56 Posts
Z8H is probably as close as you can get to OLED picture quality, is it as good, a meter would side with the OLED more then likely........
Well yes, infinite vs some value less than infinite contrast— the real question is how does it look with real world content? So very close that it doesn’t matter when given the z8h’s HDR performance, or something else? I realize that we are in the realm of opinion here—

·
Registered
56 Posts
My understanding is that Sony strictly controls pricing among its official dealers—

·
Registered
27 Posts
Well yes, infinite vs some value less than infinite contrast— the real question is how does it look with real world content? So very close that it doesn’t matter when given the z8h’s HDR performance, or something else? I realize that we are in the realm of opinion here—
My opinion, the Z8H holds its own against OLED’s. It handles blacks and contrast impeccably and the brightness and colour range makes it a godly with HDR content.

·
Registered
SONY XBR75Z8H, SONY HT-Z9F w/ SONY Z9R REAR SPEAKERS, PANASONIC UB9000 4K BLU RAY PLAYER, SONY PS5
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #528
My opinion, the Z8H holds its own against OLED’s. It handles blacks and contrast impeccably and the brightness and colour range makes it a godly with HDR content.
Yes I consider this set the ONLY alternative to OLED. Everything else is below this model.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Anyone on this forum have the latest software update performed on their TV? What exactly was the update? I've heard that it enables 4k-120 input.... but I thought that it was already available...

·
Registered
404 Posts
Interesting, so the 8k playback had not actually been enabled. That might explain why Vincent Teoh was unable to get it to run 8k content. It wasn’t enabled yet.
that's strange.... I live in the US and my PKG number is the one being sent out in Europe. That's why I can NEVER believe ANYTHING that SONY says or promises in any of their literature.
(Edit: to be clear I'm responding to what "frisbfreek" said in the link he provided.... "Sony starts rolling out HDMI2.1 firmware for......")

So is having a firmware update that is supposedly for European market going to FU*& up my TV in future updates ....... I can see now how some TV's can get bricked thru no fault of the owner.

UPDATE: talked supposedly to a SONY rep and he pointed to this link....
Benefits and Improvements
  • Adds support for the 4K 120Hz signal format to allow for PlayStation®5 compatibility (for XBR-85Z8H and XBR-75Z8H only)
  • Improves general performance of the TV

No mention of [email protected] .... so the article posted by frisbfreek that stated the firmware update 6.4775 was for Europe was actually for the US.

Attachments

·
Vendor
27,918 Posts
So now ZH8 is fully capable of displaying 8K content with no exception???
That's a loaded question, if you streamed it to the TV I would certainly hope so as it is a 8K TV. Otherwise many, many variables, first we have to wait until the gaming systems get released next month......Then we can really test the 3 different kinds of HDMI 2.1 chips: source, transceiver, receiver. Not to mention many other variables that may/will come into play.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Price Drop— Z8H 75” is now $4,999– I’m officially in— actually I was in 2 days ago. Just got a price match to the lower cost. Anything I should know about stand assembly/ installation, etc.?

·
Registered
56 Posts
My understanding is that it’s all coming from a server— through the 8K port— so it was already working?

·
Registered
32 Posts
So the 85" will drop $1k as well or ?

521 - 540 of 709 Posts