AVS Forum banner

1281 - 1300 of 1395 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
4K120 is all I care about, and maybe 8k games at some point? I know no new Blu-ray format for 8k, but I wanna see some 8k something here soon, 8k has been around a good few years in the mainstream now. I'm pretty sure the Z9J won't get past 3000 nits if that, I think you're right about it. I think Sony realises they have to make it cheaper than the Z9G, who's price killed it.
How hard would it be for Sony to literally bring back the Z9D in an 85 inch size, with HDMI 2.1 and the ommision of X-wide angle? I would pay $10K for that right now!
[/QUOTE]
Z9J to me looks to be a Z8H with the new processor and Full 2.1 support which gives you VRR. Z8H already capable of 4K120. Idk about this new chip because it is in the entire TV range. Usually Sony has a chip for the high end sets while the lower end sets have a lower grade chipset. The entire range will have the same chipset so all you’re really paying for is a newer TV design and VRR. No Backlight master drive is a killer.

·
Vendor
28,641 Posts
With the announcements of the new sony TVs it looks like the new Z9J is a sidegrade:

The biggest change on top of the usual updates is full HDMI2.1 compatibility, thoughts all?
  • HDMI 2.1 compatibility, including 4K 120fps, Variable Refresh Rate (VRR)5, Auto Low Latency Mode (ALLM) and e-ARC
  • Combined with the precision of a Full Array LED panel, XR Triluminos Pro, XR Contrast Booster and XR 8K Upscaling9 delivers supreme 8K realism with deep blacks and intense brightness
From the one article I read VRR would come in firmware at a later date on all Sony models.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Do you just watch a complete black screen?
🤣...im thinking he sees clouding momentarily when switching source or apps or restart... mine will momentarily blackout and then you can see clouding for a second that quickly clears up.... same behavior on my 940d and 900f ..but never had clouding on content..

·
Registered
154 Posts
🤣...im thinking he sees clouding momentarily when switching source or apps or restart... mine will momentarily blackout and then you can see clouding for a second that quickly clears up.... same behavior on my 940d and 900f ..but never had clouding on content..
If you pay 5000 for tv I think should be perfect with no cloud or bleeding I did see aloud clouds when you put Netflix app on ause

·
Registered
349 Posts
I see it on my mine but when the picture comes back its spectacular.

·
Registered
104 Posts
If you pay 5000 for tv I think should be perfect with no cloud or bleeding I did see aloud clouds when you put Netflix app on ause
Hmm..i get it momentarily when switching to netflix app but clears right up after it loads ... this is normal behavior... you shouldnt have clouding on content..but ive had that happen a few times on my 900f... local dimming gets hosed up... id suggest reboot... hold power button down till you see “ restart “ option and try that... that has worked for me in those cases..

·
Registered
380 Posts
You will see clouding when Netflix is paused. Local dimming is not on when it is paused. There is nothing wrong with the TV and all Sony Led tv’s behave this way. When the show is not paused the picture is perfect as local dimming is on.
if you are looking for no clouding and perfect blacks on paused Netflix or while changing inputs then get an oled.

·
Registered
154 Posts
You will see clouding when Netflix is paused. Local dimming is not on when it is paused. There is nothing wrong with the TV and all Sony Led tv’s behave this way. When the show is not paused the picture is perfect as local dimming is on.
if you are looking for no clouding and perfect blacks on paused Netflix or while changing inputs then get an oled.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Do you think o can get tv with out clouding
I have been buying LCD tv for years and every LCD i have has Clouding. Some worst than others. The worst was HISENSE. Now for my Main TV I have the 85 Z8H and I can say its about 98% Good and its the best ever I have seen without this issue but as you can expect we have today a PANEL LOTTERY with any TV so hows your luck when you buy a TV. I say if you get 20X 85 inch Z8H and you put them through a greyscale test you will find one or two will be shine out of the 20 (Very good Not Clouding) but a the same time out of the 20 you will find that two or three will be shi.tters (poor) in the grayscale test that show clouding banding and other LCD diseases.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Tell me guys will any manufacturers (mainly Panasonic because they make the best UHD Players) ever make a 4k player like the Panasonic DP UB9000 than can upscale to 8K (7680X4320) like most UHD Players today for 1080P to 3840X 2160P. Now that would be nice to see. But at the same time today if all or most of the 8K tv's today show any video that is already upscaled in 8k the market wont be needed for a fine player. Time will tell about this.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
This very interesting to learn how Tv today upscale to 8k that is not possible from 4K to 8K without guesswork. Now I know why Sony have change there Video processor in 2021 to Cognitive Processor

"Upscaling, of course, isn’t anything new. For years, 4K and even HD sets found ways to stretch lower-resolution content to fit the greater pixel-per-inch ratio of modern TVs. But with 8K TVs needing to fill four 4K TVs worth of pixels, conventional upscaling methods just don’t work, for reasons we’ll get into below"

·
Registered
154 Posts
I have been buying LCD tv for years and every LCD i have has Clouding. Some worst than others. The worst was HISENSE. Now for my Main TV I have the 85 Z8H and I can say its about 98% Good and its the best ever I have seen without this issue but as you can expect we have today a PANEL LOTTERY with any TV so hows your luck when you buy a TV. I say if you get 20X 85 inch Z8H and you put them through a greyscale test you will find one or two will be shine out of the 20 (Very good Not Clouding) but a the same time out of the 20 you will find that two or three will be shi.tters (poor) in the grayscale test that show clouding banding and other LCD diseases.
Yeah I waiting fir replacement will be delivery on Thursday I hope will be good

·
Registered
1,205 Posts

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Found on this Site. The 85 Z8H had 2500 nits. Sort of Confirmed that the 85 Z8H has more Peal Brightness compared to 75 Z8H. Interesting!!!

Screen size: 85" ● Resolution: 8K ● Panel type: Full Array LED ● HDR Compatibility: Dolby Vision, HDR10, HLG ● Peak Brightness: 2,500cd/m2 ● Refresh Rate: 120Hz ● Inputs: 4 x HDMI 2.1, 1 x Composite, 2 x RFIf you're going for an 8K TV, you may as well plan on going big and getting the most out of it. The Sony Z8H Master Series will let you do just that with its incredibly bright and gaming-ready 8K panel measuring 85-inches across. That size will ensure you see all the extra detail you're getting at 8K. It's going to cost you, but when you want the best, you have to be ready to pay for it. On the plus side, it's actually under $10,000, showing that 8K and massive TVs are slowly becoming more affordable.

The 85-inch Sony Z8H Master Series offers a stunning 2,500-nit peak brightness that won't ruin the black levels thanks to full-array local dimming. So, you'll be able to enjoy the HDR content it can support through HDR10 and Dolby Vision. And, if you want to game on it, you'll have the option of either 8K at 60Hz or 4K at 120Hz, and you get support for variable refresh rates and auto low-latency mode.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Found on this Site. The 85 Z8H had 2500 nits. Sort of Confirmed that the 85 Z8H has more Peal Brightness compared to 75 Z8H. Interesting!!!

Screen size: 85" ● Resolution: 8K ● Panel type: Full Array LED ● HDR Compatibility: Dolby Vision, HDR10, HLG ● Peak Brightness: 2,500cd/m2 ● Refresh Rate: 120Hz ● Inputs: 4 x HDMI 2.1, 1 x Composite, 2 x RFIf you're going for an 8K TV, you may as well plan on going big and getting the most out of it. The Sony Z8H Master Series will let you do just that with its incredibly bright and gaming-ready 8K panel measuring 85-inches across. That size will ensure you see all the extra detail you're getting at 8K. It's going to cost you, but when you want the best, you have to be ready to pay for it. On the plus side, it's actually under $10,000, showing that 8K and massive TVs are slowly becoming more affordable.

The 85-inch Sony Z8H Master Series offers a stunning 2,500-nit peak brightness that won't ruin the black levels thanks to full-array local dimming. So, you'll be able to enjoy the HDR content it can support through HDR10 and Dolby Vision. And, if you want to game on it, you'll have the option of either 8K at 60Hz or 4K at 120Hz, and you get support for variable refresh rates and auto low-latency mode.
This article talks about upcoming 2021 TVs and then goes on to reference the Z8H (from 2020) and says that it has support for VRR and ALLM which if I am not mistaken according to Sony it doesn't have those HDMI 2.1 features.

1281 - 1300 of 1395 Posts