AVS Forum banner

1301 - 1320 of 1395 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
This very interesting to learn how Tv today upscale to 8k that is not possible from 4K to 8K without guesswork. Now I know why Sony have change there Video processor in 2021 to Cognitive Processor

"Upscaling, of course, isn’t anything new. For years, 4K and even HD sets found ways to stretch lower-resolution content to fit the greater pixel-per-inch ratio of modern TVs. But with 8K TVs needing to fill four 4K TVs worth of pixels, conventional upscaling methods just don’t work, for reasons we’ll get into below"

sounds to me like this “cognitive“ processing is just sony hype... but no matter what you get...there will always be something better in a year or two...thats just all tech ...if youre in the market this time of year , its always best to wait on new models to come out and 2020 model price drops... strange thing the 85z8h are again hard to find..? On another topic ..
I just bought a TCL 55R635 for the bedroom, wasnt expecting much , given the pricepoint...boy was i blown away ... rtings gave it mediocre review with ok local dimming , but being sensitive to blooming , it is much better than my 900F was , and a great TV ... especially if you like Roku.. micro led fald , impressive feature set with an app that uses your phone camera to calibrate the screen, and pause live TV, thx certified game mode , etc.. why cant sony do stuff like that on their high end sets ?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just bought an open Box 75" Z8H for a good price now I am not sure if I should hold on to it I have a 45 return window it has not been delivered yet I am tempted by the Sony Z9J/X95j XR LED new chip set and BRAVIA CORE UHD streaming potential I am swapping out a 65" A8H I got with prime day price that I find too dark for my viewing habit I do not want to watch movies in a dark room and find dark scene too dark for my taste so what does everyone think I plan to get a PS5 and the new XBOX
once the scalper are done buying all the stock but I do a lot of streaming and watching of UHD 4k blu ray movies I love the higher bitrate DV/HDR and sound of them having more than one 2.1 HDMI would be a plus but not my main concern. I can live with my 930c until next black friday for better pricing but will be hard going back to viewing on it.

Also when they say IMAX Enhanced is that a hardware feature or part of the BRAVIA CORE streaming feature if its hardware does the Z8H have it?

Thanks ahead of time for your response.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
sounds to me like this “cognitive“ processing is just sony hype... but no matter what you get...there will always be something better in a year or two...thats just all tech ..
Yes I call it SPIN DOCTORING. Yes manufacture these days they expect you to buy a new expensive tv every year. Sony are getting smart because after 2016 here in Australia where they got stuck with 85 inch expensive tv till the end of 2018 or even 19 to sell then at a very reduced price now they just bring enough 85 Expensive tv to last around Janurary or Feburary the next year and when you say I will wait a little say Feb or March when the price go further down they are ALL GONE.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
This article talks about upcoming 2021 TVs and then goes on to reference the Z8H (from 2020) and says that it has support for VRR and ALLM which if I am not mistaken according to Sony it doesn't have those HDMI 2.1 features.
This is why I read any site and keep my mind open for others to comment because all you read today is not 100% true. The Only Person I trust for reviews is Vincent Teoh

·
Vendor
28,641 Posts
Just bought an open Box 75" Z8H for a good price now I am not sure if I should hold on to it I have a 45 return window it has not been delivered yet I am tempted by the Sony Z9J/X95j XR LED new chip set and BRAVIA CORE UHD streaming potential I am swapping out a 65" A8H I got with prime day price that I find too dark for my viewing habit I do not want to watch movies in a dark room and find dark scene too dark for my taste so what does everyone think I plan to get a PS5 and the new XBOX
once the scalper are done buying all the stock but I do a lot of streaming and watching of UHD 4k blu ray movies I love the higher bitrate DV/HDR and sound of them having more than one 2.1 HDMI would be a plus but not my main concern. I can live with my 930c until next black friday for better pricing but will be hard going back to viewing on it.

Also when they say IMAX Enhanced is that a hardware feature or part of the BRAVIA CORE streaming feature if its hardware does the Z8H have it?

Thanks ahead of time for your response.
I did not see release dates thru my reads, sometimes the higher end goods come out later in the year, like June thru September.

·
Registered
241 Posts
To those in the U.S, where did you get your 85"? I ordered the 75" because the 85" is unavailable from BB. Just out of curiosity I used BB's availability locator, and according to that, no 85" are currently in stock at BB in the U.S at all.

·
Registered
104 Posts
To those in the U.S, where did you get your 85"? I ordered the 75" because the 85" is unavailable from BB. Just out of curiosity I used BB's availability locator, and according to that, no 85" are currently in stock at BB in the U.S at all.
Got mine from Crutchfield, but they are out too...check B&H Photo...not sure they have but doesnt say they are out

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Maybe Its happening in the the US too ( Look at post 1303) Sony Japan knows how may 85 inch high end Tv's to make and that's it, Might be lucky to get one more batch of 85 Z8H and that will the the END of the 85 Z8H. Once again Sony made a big mistake back in 2016 in Australia with there high end 85 inch Tv that were around $10,000 and the shops still had them in 2018 and was impossible to sell because not everyone wants a 85 inch monster. Yes the price was under $3000 to sell them which they eventually did with Sony pain. I say Sony will never do this mistake again.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Has anyone had issues with dse on this unit. I've already gone through 3 and am thinking about returning this one. First one had the grid showing, 2nd one has dse and third one has more dse then then the 2nd one. I am debating returning this one getting one more panel. So far no one else except one other person has had issues with this set. Very frustrating to say the least. I mean it's not terrible but for the price I want near perfection. Picture quality is insane and so is brightness, the problem is I was looking for issues,and I am not going to lie I have def scrutinized the **** out of this particular one with the youtube test videos. I know that is stupid to look for problems but now it's like it can't be unseen.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
154 Posts
Has anyone had issues with dse on this unit. I've already gone through 3 and am thinking about returning this one. First one had the grid showing, 2nd one has dse and third one has more dse then then the 2nd one. I am debating returning this one getting one more panel. So far no one else except one other person has had issues with this set. Very frustrating to say the least. I mean it's not terrible but for the price I want near perfection. Picture quality is insane and so is brightness, the problem is I was looking for issues,and I am not going to lie I have def scrutinized the **** out of this particular one with the youtube test videos. I know that is stupid to look for problems but now it's like it can't be unseen.

Hi did you having dse when you using tv YouTube app I had my delivery last week I returned my for exchange because I had dse waiting for new to be delivery

·
Registered
154 Posts

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
I use a Calibration disk and blu ray player ONLY to see all issues on a tv like DSE or banding or other.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Did you find any
My 85 inch Z8H is just about perfect. I tested in greyscale 0 to 100% also in R,G,B, M,C, and yellow for DSE and 98% its good, possibly the best ever tv I have tested in 10 years. (lucky for panel lottery)
I have over 6 Calibration disk for Video and Audio. Have 2 Spears and Munsil's disk now this week I will buy the Spears and Munsil UHD HDR Benchmark (4K ultra HD Bluray). Yes we have spent a fortune the last few weeks as the 85 Z8H cost us under $14,000 and new Panasonic DP-UB9000 $ 1,400 bluray player which I'm waiting to arrive today or tomorrow. I have 2 Oppo 203. Might be selling one because the Pana is better than the Oppo.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Haaaaaaaa!!! LOL.LOL.LOL.

Just found out my 85 Z8H is a Master Series TV because the NEW SONY Z9J 2021 series TV are classified as Master Series and they use the FALD not BMD so if Sony wants to call the Z9J a MASTER SERIES I say I can call my 85 Z8H a Master Series TV with FALD. LOL.
Have a look at this SPIN DOCTORING from Sony, OOOO Boy, Sony are catching up with Samsung when it come with deceptive practicing.
Have a Look.

·
Registered
SONY XBR77A9G, XBR48A9S, SONY HT-Z9F Soundbar w/ Z9R Rears, PANASONIC UB820, SONY PS5
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,319
Haaaaaaaa!!! LOL.LOL.LOL.

Just found out my 85 Z8H is a Master Series TV because the NEW SONY Z9J 2021 series TV are classified as Master Series and they use the FALD not BMD so if Sony wants to call the Z9J a MASTER SERIES I say I can call my 85 Z8H a Master Series TV with FALD. LOL.
Have a look at this SPIN DOCTORING from Sony, OOOO Boy, Sony are catching up with Samsung when it come with deceptive practicing.
Have a Look.
Well to be fair, the Z9F was labeled a Master Series and it did not have the Backlight Master Drive. The only sets I think that ever will have that tech is the Z9D and G.

1301 - 1320 of 1395 Posts