AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of the best fighting game series out there and we get to use Yoda!

Coming July 29th!

Keep the discussions here.

·
Registered
9,458 Posts
Gamertag-Redhemi300C

Come get some starting 29 July.

That is all

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
^you're on

Hope you have the hori joystick, cuz you'll need to be quick to if you want to keep up w/ me.

·
Registered
9,458 Posts
Been holding off on the stick and so far playing Soul Calibur on Live hasn't seem to change from my dreamcast days. So basically don't expect me to bit*h if I lose because I am using the 360 controller

·
Registered
888 Posts
Really, SC is the premier weapon-based fighting game, when you think about it. It's just hard to remember all of those different moves. But, when I think of the first SC-which is excellent, and of what's possible this generation, using Kilik and his staff, or Mitsurigi and his sword, etc., combat could really be great eye-candy if done right, and I would consider picking this one up. From the screenshots, the combat doesn't look as deep as maybe what I'm thinkin' of, though. Hopefully, I'm wrong.

·
Registered
9,458 Posts
New Soul Calibur fighter revealed

Friday 11-Jul-2008 8:00 AM The strongest character ever to appear in the series, says designer

As Namco's frantic fighter (published over here by Ubisoft) nears release, another character has been revealed. And it's not all about the Star Wars cash-in either. Say hello to Algol...

Hideo Yoshie, character designer, explained, "We aimed to make a character that is the 'king' of an ultra ancient civilization and a character that obviously proves the setting of being the strongest character ever in SC series.

"So, he's wearing a costume from the ancient kingdom that isn't recorded in history, and it was really difficult and troublesome to make the design of his costume as so just by looking at it. The final motif of the amour ended up being the 'bird', but there were many other ideas like the lion, cobra, dinosaur and more. I believe the design combined dynamism and splendor, and is very cool.

Advertisement:

"His right hand glows red and his left hand glows blue because he holds the Soul Edge in his right and the Soul Calibur in his left. Also he has ten kinds of weapons built in his body and shows a variety of fights never seen before, including flying in the air and sitting in the throne. I want people to have fun by his buzzard actions.

There was an idea for an additional option which he causes an off-site brawl with a pipe chair instead of the throne, but we were not able to put the idea in the game this time.

"By the way, the Algol that shows up in the opening demo is Algol when he was still a human.. That's why his hair has a different colour from within the game. There are some more detailed differences, so please go on and find more differences on him for fun through the game."

Right then, all sounds good. But we bet he's not the hardest fighter ever to appear in the series. That's got to be either Yoda or Darth Vader surely? First shots below

http://www.computerandvideogames.com....php?id=192659

Pics after the jump.

·
Registered
9,458 Posts
Official Soul Calibur 4 character list(so far confirmed)

Returning characters:

1. Amy

2. Astaroth

3. Cassandra Alexandra

4. Cervantes de Leon

5. Ivy (Isabella Valentine)

6. Kilik

7. Lizardman (Aeon Calcos)

8. Maxi

9. Mitsurugi (Heishiro)

10. Nightmare

11. Raphael Sorel

12. Rock (Nathaniel Adams)

13. Seong Mi-na

14. Setsuka

15. Siegfried Schtauffen

16. Sophitia Alexandra

17. Taki

18. Talim

19. Tira

20. Voldo

21. Xianghua Chai

22. Yoshimitsu

23. Yun-seong

24. Zasalamel

New characters:

25. Algol (bonus character designed by guest artist Hideo Yoshie — he holds the Soul Edge in his right and the Soul Calibur in his left hand)

26. Angol Fear (bonus character designed by guest artist Mine Yoshizaki)

27. Ashlotte (bonus character designed by guest artist Oh! great)

28. Darth Vader (Star Wars guest character on the PlayStation 3 version)

29. Darth Vader’s Secret Apprentice (from Star Wars: The Force Unleashed)

30. Hilde(gard) von Krone

31. Kamikirimusi (bonus character designed by guest artist Hirokazu Hisayuki)

32. Scheherazade (bonus character designed by guest artist Yutaka Izubuchi)

33. Shura (bonus character designed by guest artist Hiroya Oku)

34. Yoda (Star Wars guest character on the Xbox 360 version)

On top of all these characters, Namco Bandai’s game director Katsutoshi Sasaki has said that Create-a-Character will return from Soul Calibur 3, and will allow customized and created characters to be playable in multiplayer mode (in Special VS online as well). Up to 50 custom character slots will be available towards this end.

Missing characters (from previous games):

Abyss

Abelia

Arthur

Assassin

Aurelia

Berserker

Charade

Chester

Demuth

Edge Master

Girardot

Greed

Han-myeong

Hualin

Hwang

Inferno / SoulEdge

Li Long

Lizardman (Generic)

Luna

Lynette

Miser

Necrid

Night Terror

Olcadan

Revenant

Strife

Valeria

Quotes via Wikipedia, for more pictures go to SCU.

PS: We’ll keep this list updated as new characters are announced. — Last updated July 11th –

http://www.videogamesblogger.com/200...acter-list.htm

·
Registered
5,436 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Degenerazn /forum/post/14269476

^you're on

Hope you have the hori joystick, cuz you'll need to be quick to if you want to keep up w/ me.

- Nuts to the Xbox360 Hori sticks, they're very mediocre...

I have an Arcade in a Box custom Sanwa stick coming in next Wednesday.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by tokerblue /forum/post/14270765

Well, its the best stick that doesn't cost $150!

·
Registered
5,436 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Degenerazn /forum/post/14270848

Well, its the best stick that doesn't cost $150!

- The best things usually aren't cheap.

Of course, you can mod the Hori sticks with real Sanwa parts, but that type of work is beyond my abilities.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
hell yeah

just sucks they split yoda and vader

wish it came out in may or june before the football season

·
Registered
3,001 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by logicalnoise /forum/post/14270617

still no word on team battle or vs team battle. which was my friends and my favorite mode

It would cool if we had the option when playing the game on Live.

·
Registered
5,131 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lacombo /forum/post/14290594

hell yeah

just sucks they split yoda and vader

wish it came out in may or june before the football season

Namco has avoided denying the rumor that both yoda and vader will be made available later as DLC for a small price for each system.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by logicalnoise /forum/post/14292224

Namco has avoided denying the rumor that both yoda and vader will be made available later as DLC for a small price for each system.

There's no reason they wouldn't want to make an extra buck by allowing DLC for the Yoda/Vader.

·
Registered
193 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Degenerazn /forum/post/14293504

There's no reason they wouldn't want to make an extra buck by allowing DLC for the Yoda/Vader.

...which is what I fully expect to see happen.

·
Banned
3,899 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tokerblue /forum/post/14270765

actually, the hori stick is fairly decent for the arcade version of soul caliber. Have you even tried it with this game or are you just trying to justify your new purchase?

·
Registered
5,436 Posts
I've played on the Hori VF5 stick extensively on VF5 since my brother only owns the Xbox360 version of VF5. Since the new Soul Calibur stick looks to be the same exact stick with new artwork, I doubt it will be any better.

I'm comparing it directly to the Virtua Stick High Grade (Sanwa parts) when playing VF5 on the PS3. There's no comparison between the two. The stick throw is better on the VSHG and the button click/response is better. As for purchase justifications, you generally get what you pay for when it comes to controllers and joysticks.

1 - 20 of 94 Posts