AVS Forum banner

641 - 660 of 764 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Which amp do you guys recommend? The 700 or the 1200 for a UM18? I'll use two distributed UM 18's with two other subs for SBIR.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Are you dead set on internal amps? If doing two um18's I'd just get an sp2-4000 rack amp and put one on each channel at 4 ohm.
Hello! Long time no talk!

Not dead set on it but I don't want any fans and I'm going to use miniDSP 2 x 4 balanced for all sub integration anyway so from a cost standpoint, plate amps make sense.

·
Premium Member
14,808 Posts
Hello! Long time no talk!

Not dead set on it but I don't want any fans and I'm going to use miniDSP 2 x 4 balanced for all sub integration anyway so from a cost standpoint, plate amps make sense.
NO fans on the rack amps either, just fwiw. They are dead silent. Even my sp2-8000 doesn't have any fans. A single 4000 watt amp I would think would have some cost savings over a pair of plate amps, as well as a much easier way of just having to run speaker wire to the two locations as opposed to long XLR runs and risking picking up some noise. Amp could also plug into same dedicated outlet for the rest of your excellent gear... Just throwing ideas out there :D

·
Registered
137 Posts
NO fans on the rack amps either, just fwiw. They are dead silent. Even my sp2-8000 doesn't have any fans. A single 4000 watt amp I would think would have some cost savings over a pair of plate amps, as well as a much easier way of just having to run speaker wire to the two locations as opposed to long XLR runs and risking picking up some noise. Amp could also plug into same dedicated outlet for the rest of your excellent gear... Just throwing ideas out there :D

:mad:

·
Deep Sea Sound
3,625 Posts
I believe the SP2-8000 amps do indeed have a fan but in the HT model, it is tuned to rarely come on except when absolutely needed. And if it is absolutely needed, you won’t be able to hear it over your system pounding.

And BeastAudio and I have put IPR2-7500 and SP2-8000 amps into protection pushing them so hard. So he definitely has the capability to make the fan power on but I ageee, I can’t remember hearing the fan in a SP2-8000.

·
Registered
4,489 Posts
Honestly, they probably have, I just haven't noticed. Under normal operation they're not moving. They have some beefy heat sinks. If I was pushing em, there's no way I'd hear the fans.

Just messin with ya. I know the power that they make. Things would be very loud to push them that hard.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I'm not sure what of that is upsetting?
Just you trying to spend my money. :p

Funny enough that I just though they may have been manifolds for other applications and not even real fans. Guess they are, but I sure as heck haven't ever seen them operating either...
I thought they did! Glad I'm not going nutty. OK, I'm here so I am. ;)

·
Registered
49 Posts
Hallo all,

I just got myself a SP12000HT amp. I will be using it to run 2 SI 24s mk2 that I built. My boxes are about 13cuft. Each will be running independently on its channel @4ohm

I don't have any kind of protection /limiter and I am wondering what the chances are of me blowing the sub on deep content without some form of limiter.

I have watched several movies with the setup and it gets quite scary sometimes.... 😂I guess I still haven't figured out the limits of the sub. I watch movies at mostly -10. I tried watching at reference once and it was too scary... Couldn't handle it. Got a little worried for the subs.

Any thoughts?

·
Deep Sea Sound
3,625 Posts
Hallo all,

I just got myself a SP12000HT amp. I will be using it to run 2 SI 24s mk2 that I built. My boxes are about 13cuft. Each will be running independently on its channel @4ohm

I don't have any kind of protection /limiter and I am wondering what the chances are of me blowing the sub on deep content without some form of limiter.

I have watched several movies with the setup and it gets quite scary sometimes.... 😂I guess I still haven't figured out the limits of the sub. I watch movies at mostly -10. I tried watching at reference once and it was too scary... Couldn't handle it. Got a little worried for the subs.

Any thoughts?
A single channel of an SP2-12000 is way too much power for a single HS-24 driver, pretty much double the power. If I had an SP2-12000, I’d run both 24s off a single channel and then I’d use the second channel to drive a pair of HST-18s for the rear of the room. This would give you top 2-3% of bass systems in the world and you’d have more even bass in your room from having multiple subs assuming they’re configured properly. By configured properly I mean they are setup in pairs equi-distant from the main listening position since they are sharing the same signal from your system.

And a pair of HS-24s can easily run reference near 10Hz.

Reactions: notnyt

·
Registered
49 Posts
A single channel of an SP2-12000 is way too much power for a single HS-24 driver, pretty much double the power. If I had an SP2-12000, I’d run both 24s off a single channel and then I’d use the second channel to drive a pair of HST-18s for the rear of the room. This would give you top 2-3% of bass systems in the world and you’d have more even bass in your room from having multiple subs assuming they’re configured properly. By configured properly I mean they are setup in pairs equi-distant from the main listening position since they are sharing the same signal from your system.

And a pair of HS-24s can easily run reference near 10Hz.
Thank you @dgage. That was my concern. My question is what real world content would be dangerous if I ran that much power? If I am not playing any sine waves etc and I am just listening to music and watching movies, can that still mess the sub? I don't think I can do reference for a whole movie, too powerful for my room. If I did volume -10 is that still unsafe? I don't have plans on adding any subs now since the 2 24s are More than enough for my room.
It feels like a shame that I would waste a whole channel of the amp....:)

Thanks

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Thank you @dgage. That was my concern. My question is what real world content would be dangerous if I ran that much power? If I am not playing any sine waves etc and I am just listening to music and watching movies, can that still mess the sub? I don't think I can do reference for a whole movie, too powerful for my room. If I did volume -10 is that still unsafe? I don't have plans on adding any subs now since the 2 24s are More than enough for my room.

Thanks
A run thru Lone Survivor which has very high levels of basically a 7Hz sine wave during the chopper insertion scene will prob cause some issues.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
14,808 Posts

Thanks
A run thru Lone Survivor which has very high levels of basically a 7Hz sine wave during the chopper insertion scene will prob cause some issues.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
There's no certainty here regardless of content. Is your -10 a true -10 from reference? Do you run your subs dead flat with no house curve? Is your room EQ applying any filters to the subwoofer? All of these things play a major part in how the subwoofer will handle a situation. Being 13cuft boxes I would assume a small LT is still in use. This too affects the power consumption.

641 - 660 of 764 Posts