AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
6,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
"Standing in the Shadows of Motown" is out with the hi-rez wmv version on disc 2. There are also 3 BMW films in low rez on disc 1. Please direct all comments to this thread.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

First things first:

You must connect to the internet and download the license to play this media. And it only wants to play in WMP9, I couldn't get it to play in either PowerDVD or Sonic CP 1.5. Total time to get the license on a 56k modem

·
Registered
18,927 Posts
Got mine, and as I suspected- DTS track kicks WM9 audio all over the place.

A movie about music with marginally higher quality video and poorer audio- I don't think they thought this through enough- they should have spent more time on the audio, encoded it at a much higher bitrate.

Not a bad start though.

Hopefully T2 will be a better overall production.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I swung by Circuit City over lunch and picked mine up as well. Though I had seen prototypes of the DVD ROM disc here in my role at Microsoft, I hadn't yet seen the full package, nor had a chance to eval the standard def disc.

Circuit City had a nice promotin going where I got the two DVD set, and a bundled music CD with 5 classic motown tracks for $13.99. I ran the disc two WMV DVD through a PC to a nice new 61" NEC plasma, and it looked awesome! I like alot the ability to navigate to both the DVD chapters, and to the music videos. I plan to watch that Bootsy Collins music video many times!

I then also tried the standard def disc one and as others have noted, it did not look nearly as sharp as the WMV. The black backgrounds in the music videos showed some artifacts, and the foreground did not have nearly the detail.

On the audio front, with a WMA 9 compatible multichannel sound card, I got full surround and thought the audio quality was excellent. Perhaps the issues noted had to do with fold down to stereo on some setups.

·
Registered
18,927 Posts
No question the video is better- not why I purchased the movie though- I had this one on preorder months ago.

The sound mix is really excellent here, for all three tracks. I'd say the WM9 track is closest to the DD track.

It just can't compete with half-bitrate DTS, not at 384k and crippled by the kmixer. My Onkyo's decoder takes it apart. I hope the non-Kmixer version of Windows arrives soon.

·
Registered
18,927 Posts
The licensing is a bunch of BS, especially for a product I already own.

Upscaling a DVD cannot add more resolution. The WM9 version looks better.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Now, all we need is to fine a way to change the aspect ratio of WM9 player for those with front projectors and anamorphic lenses.

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
I just think that I'll see less of a difference since I use PAL DVD's,

720x576 vs 1024x576. Please tell me that there will still be a difference..

Nich

·
Registered
9 Posts
The drm crap is stupid and pissed me off, but I guess the lawyers have to find justification to make the bank they do. Those lawyers have mouths to feed (and suv s to drive, and even larger mortgages for large houses to pay off, and ...) just like the kind-hearted motown executives who laid the blueprint for the contemporary riaa ;) But keep in mind that those funk bros were working under a contract that they signed, and that was legally binding.

Whether or not the contract was fair or ethical or they were being exploited due to their powerlessness or business ignorance is a different argument. Hearing the one funkster talk about being paid to snitch was great to hear esp. in light of the contract to which I myself just consented to hear him speak those words.

On the bright side, some third-world kid intern probably has a shot at getting a green card for writing the license code. Of course, some other third-world kid is circumventing that code as I write this...

I hope the funk bros are making bank for selling out as here, making history once again! I found the story of them laying their various guns on the table when it came paytime to be extremely funny in consideration that there exists some cache of ms executives planning on making large bank off the ((xbox+webtv)/home entertainment)==htpc equation, whose success is largely dependent on the success of items like this.

But if M$ does not do it, will $ony not? Buy american dammit, big bill needs the ca$h to go be a good corporate philanthropist with all the money he will make by undercompensating the people who generated all this literal value - after all, they (& we) all owe him as he personally has sculpted the fine landscape of software reality that is known today. That is what the laws of the land have dictated his fate to be.

Actually, m$ really isn't as bad as it could be, $ony is far worse. M$ is probably the only american monopoly left that could possibly fight back against the vertically integrated soon-to-be blue-laser weilding monstrosity that is $ony.

Off the pulpit, surround audio seems fine w/ a sb audigy & winxp - but I use analog outs, not digital; my reciever cannot accept digital in for 5.1. Even so, it sounds great.

pq is great. I did not compare to the dvd yet, but the quality is nice.

Can't fault the programmers up there in seattle - the rain and coffee and jimmy hendrix have done them alright. Keep up the good work, gentlemen, don't let the coming bits of good weather deter you from your mission of entertaining the rest of us slobs.

When's the next one of these due out?

·
Registered
644 Posts
MS must have done something right for you to end that rant with this line,

"When's the next one of these due out?"

:)

·
Registered
343 Posts
Hi !

Don´t own the DVD and probably won´t buy it because ... guys ... I thought this is about HDTV ?? 1024x576 is exactly the same resolution you get with anamorphic PAL DVD. Exactly the same. Go buy any anamorphic PAL DVD and you get this resolution all the time ! ( PAL is 720x576 but if the DVD is anamorphically squashed the resulting pixel count will be 1024x576 in the end )

So will T2 SE have higher resolution ? I thought 720p is minimum for HDTV ?

midiboy

·
Registered
18,927 Posts
Ah, nevermind- I was just going to say they don't call this version "High definition", but on the white insert they do. Blah.

Amir claims the WM9 T2 version will be at least 720p- what exactly that means remains to be seen.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
I thought HD was anything >=540p. So this release would qualify as HD.

I thought somehow this would generate more posts... :)

Cheers,

·
Registered
249 Posts
Regardless of resolution, the WM9 encoding scheme appears to be significantly superior to DVDs, so maybe "HDTV" is a mis-statement but it's certainly a step up from regular DVD format. Perhaps we need a new acronym for "enhanced definition" or something along those lines so we don't have to pull out the old "HDTV rulebook" every time something new comes along.

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by adaseng
Now, all we need is to fine a way to change the aspect ratio of WM9 player for those with front projectors and anamorphic lenses.
Is there a way for Windows to know the aspect ratio (and thus the pixel aspect ratio) of a display mode with non-square pixels? Can it be done in Powerstrip?

·
Registered
249 Posts
I really hope you aren't required to have a live internet connection to use a product you already purchase. That's one of the worst things I've ever heard of.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Quote:
I thought HD was anything >=540p. So this release would qualify as HD.
Wow, I've been living with HDTV for all my life without even knowing it :D

Now seriously, I've seen the WM9 clips for FAffair and Confidence, Confidende was slightly better than your usual PAL release, NOT FAffair. The clip for MReloaded (Quicktime) was also SLIGHTLY better than PAL. BUT, the .ts tracks on the ***deleted*** site mentioned in the "Hi Def Trailer" thread are WAY better than PAL (had to view these with VLC).

I'm also curious as to know whether the non-DRM WM9 will make the licensing connection.

·
Registered
6,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by 0db
I really hope you aren't required to have a live internet connection to use a product you already purchase. That's one of the worst things I've ever heard of.
The disc won't play unless you've downloaded a license key. What we don't know yet is whether you need to do this for every disc, or if it is a one-time d/l.

I'm also curious to see what happens if you took the disc and tried to play it on another machine......:confused: :rolleyes: :eek:

1 - 20 of 68 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.